Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Couldn't find a new thread for him. Quite easily been our most important player since Scholes retired and Fletcher got ill. He is likely the only true central midfielder in the squad that is at least above league average at his position and we are very badly missing him right now.

Hope he returns to action soon. Whether or not we make a purchase in the next week, to me him and Rafael are the two most important players in the squad because we do not have adequate back up for either of them.

Come back soon Geordie Prince!

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Carrick of 2 seasons ago can definitely come back too... that weird, crap imposter Carrick who turned up last year... well actually, he'd probably be a better alternative right now.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Carrick of 2 seasons ago can definitely come back too... that weird, crap imposter Carrick who turned up last year... well actually, he'd probably be a better alternative right now.
He's always backed one average season with a great season. So I'm hoping this season will end up being great.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Really looking forward to having him back. He'll finally have a good midfielder next to him and he won't be required to create everything for once. Think him and Herrera could be a very good pairing. If we even sign someone like Vidal, playing Carrick behind Herrera and Vidal could work really well. Hell, even playing him behind Di Maria and Herrera could be almost identical to what Madrid played last year, only with Herrera in for Modric and Carrick for Alonso.

Oo0AahCantona

Problem I see is carricks 34 now. We've been trying to find a partner for carricks for years and it's got to a point we need to find his replacement. Your right he's going to be pivotal this season, but how many more has he got left in the tank.

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
He's becoming 'better' in people's minds by not playing. A bit like Fletcher last year, when funnily enough, Carrick was poor.
It's suddenly "when Carrick returns..."

Most agreed a month ago that he needs to be a squad player. That's when we know we're closer to where we want to be.

Last edited:

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Problem I see is carricks 34 now. We've been trying to find a partner for carricks for years and it's got to a point we need to find his replacement. Your right he's going to be pivotal this season, but how many more has he got left in the tank.
33 and reckon he has a couple of very good season left in his tank, primarily because he is fundamentally sound and takes great care of his conditioning to carry the workload he's been tasked with for his entire United career.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
He's becoming 'better' in people's minds by not playing. A bit like Fletcher last year, when funnily enough, Carrick was poor.
It's suddenly "when Carrick returns..."

Most agreed a month ago that he needs to be a squad player. That's when we know we're closer to where we want to be.
That's a bad comparison because Carrick's bottom level is comfortably higher than an average day for Fletcher or Cleverley and when he does have a bit more time and space, he kills the opposition with his passing. His issues have always been when he's been isolated and the athletic midfielders try to press him for time and space. With outlets like Herrera and hopefully another good CM, he will have a much more comfortable time ahead.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
He turned 33 last month.

Rykker_4united

Supports
Keep Rodgers at Pool.
you'll be eagerly awaiting for a while. He won't put in another performance again unless its predeceased by the word "awful".

Rednotdead

As has been said already, when the team is playing sh1t injured and absent players suddenly become that much better than anyone on the pitch.

I'm not holding my breath that Carrick would improve matters to any extent.

Ole90+3

I really don't think Carrick would have made our MF look any better in the 2 openers.

I think he should come into the team and play as the centre-most CB, at least in games where we know the opposition is going to sit back.

We need someone in that back three who can comfortable carry the ball 30 yards out of defence and make a pass to a player in a more attacking position. That link between defence and midfield just isn't there.

We also need someone with a bit of balls in midfield, who is going to take the initiative in making the risky pass, think this could then rub off on the rest of the team. I think Herrara can potentially be a player with this quality, but we could definitely do with 1 more at least.

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I am not holding out for him coming back and being anything other than completely terrible.

Our Michael isn't one for standing up and being counted when the chips are down, he is usually one of the first ones to disappear at the first signs of trouble.

Sb_16

He's a slow starter. A long layoff and no preseason. Don't get your hopes up. If we are going to see the Carrick of two years ago it'll be around December.

Last edited:

acnumber9

I am not holding out for him coming back and being anything other than completely terrible.

Our Michael isn't one for standing up and being counted when the chips are down, he is usually one of the first ones to disappear at the first signs of trouble.
He's played midfield on his own for years. We'll be a much better team when he's back.

ThanksBoss26

I really don't think Carrick would have made our MF look any better in the 2 openers.

I think he should come into the team and play as the centre-most CB, at least in games where we know the opposition is going to sit back.

We need someone in that back three who can comfortable carry the ball 30 yards out of defence and make a pass to a player in a more attacking position. That link between defence and midfield just isn't there.

We also need someone with a bit of balls in midfield, who is going to take the initiative in making the risky pass, think this could then rub off on the rest of the team. I think Herrara can potentially be a player with this quality, but we could definitely do with 1 more at least.
I certainly think this is a possibility, especially for home games when we can expect to have a lot of the ball.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Ideally he would be a bench player this season but that would have meant signing another CM. Carrick will probably never get back to his best but we still need him since the other alternatives are just dreadful.

Ash_G

He's played midfield on his own for years. We'll be a much better team when he's back.
Definitely, amazed how much people overlook this. Our midfield has just been Michale Carrick for such a long time, if he didn't perform it didn't. He had to do everything. Eventually when the team as a whole was in a negative position it was going to catch up with us/him. If we go to a 3/diamond and he's playing with Herrera/Di Maria I think he'll show people again how good he is.

Absurd how much he's being written off when as I said he's had to be the most defensive player and the most creative player for us for ages. With players who will take responsibility to create and also help defensively, who won't just pass the ball back to him or stand sandwiched between players Carrick will look a lot better imo.

Chorley1974

Lady Ole
He needs a runner, or to be part of a 3 man, I don't think Herrera is the runner for him, so let's see what pans out.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
He needs a runner, or to be part of a 3 man, I don't think Herrera is the runner for him, so let's see what pans out.
I think with him and Di Maria in, we will see a totally different team.

DDG
Rafael - Jones - Rojo - Shaw

Carrick
Herrera ----- Di Maria
Mata
Rooney - Van Persie
Pace to burn across the whole of the defence.

Rafa and Shaw offering width,

Carrick water carrying, almost a third centre back.

Carrick playing from deep can sit back and allow Jones to play at RCB and Rojo covering the left side.

Herrera and Di Maria working their arses off and breaking forward.

Mata appreciating Herrera and Di Maria's movement around and beyond him and Rooney and RVP ahead of him.

+ Points: No Valencia or Young but genuine pace and width.

Flexible as substitution can change the game tactically and offer plan B. E.g Januzaj for Mata and switch to 4-4-2.

FromTheBench

now, he's 33
It's not like he was a great workhorse or runner even then. Depends on at what form he comes back this season though but he doesn't necessarily require a runner alongside.

Herrera works box to box hard enough anyway.

Chorley1974

Lady Ole
It's not like he was a great workhorse or runner even then.
I'm talking in today's team, the dynamic with scholes and team at the time was totally different. Do you think a pedestrian midfielder alongside a 33 year old carrick will be good enough now? If so fair play to you, each to their own.

El Zoido

In the right setup I think Carrick can be a top player for another couple of years. His game doesn't rely on explosive pace and intensity and his experience at 33 should serve him well. He'll be back after the international break, right?

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I've never been a great fan of Michael, but he can be good if used properly. He doesn’t need one, but two runners beside to get the best out of him.

Midfield trio of Carrick sitting deep + Di Maria and Herrera can be very effective. If one of them gets injured we're fecked though, no cover in the squad.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
For me, Carrick is the player we miss the most. The only true player in our entire squad (and now Blind I guess) who can link defence and midfield/attack. Look at Fletcher today - he hardly ever was available for the ball from our back 3. Not only will Carrick naturally take up the position to receive the ball, he has significantly more quality than Fletcher once he has it.

ZDwyr

Not that keen for his return to be honest. Think he is due back around the end of September? He was pretty shocking last season though. This year he is just another year older. Probably a good squad option, but he won't be improving us that much.

NinjaFletch

For me, Carrick is the player we miss the most. The only true player in our entire squad (and now Blind I guess) who can link defence and midfield/attack. Look at Fletcher today - he hardly ever was available for the ball from our back 3. Not only will Carrick naturally take up the position to receive the ball, he has significantly more quality than Fletcher once he has it.
Yeah but we missed him a lot last season, and he played virtually every game.

Fahad Jawaid

Will he be back after the international break and how many others will be back by then i suppose Shaw, Herrera and Rojo will be back by then? .

revel911

Will he be back after the international break and how many others will be back by then i suppose Shaw, Herrera and Rojo will be back by then? .
The question is, will he play? I think if we go more offensive, he doesn't as Blind will play the DM role with Adnan or Mata as a AM in a 4-1-2-3. If we go defensive, then Blind and Carrick will play beside Herrera in a 4-2-3-1

Fahad Jawaid

The question is, will he play? I think if we go more offensive, he doesn't as Blind will play the DM role with Adnan or Mata as a AM in a 4-1-2-3. If we go defensive, then Blind and Carrick will play beside Herrera in a 4-2-3-1
I think he would start with Herrera and Mata as part of midfield three with Di maria, Rooney and Rvp as three upfront, blind is more likely to play as a cover for DM/CB/LB in case we have an injury crises like we have, but i think Carrick starts when fit and he's far better than Blind for me, i suppose against City/Chelsea/Liverpool away we can pack the midfield with Blind, Carrick and Herrera otherwise it will be very Defensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.