Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Grunge

So far away I get up 4am to just watch Utd on TV
In the match day thread, I was saying how Carrick made more sprints in the game than he had in the last 3 years. I guess we now know why. Scholes even said it that he's always had problems with his calves.

Don't want to insinuate much but maybe he was holding back from active pressure (short sprints, pro active tackling/sheppherding etc) because he's preserving his legs?
Was Carrick taken off hurt today or is Jose resting him for the weekend?
This was an ideal game for him. He can just marshal the space in front of the back four and just be sensible with the ball.
If "timing is everything" then Carrick personifies that quality.

Rossa

The speed of Carrick, went ahead of Saivet as if he was nothing!
I've said this for ages, yet people still claim that he is slow. Saivet is pretty fast actually, but Carrick´s top speed is very decent. He's by no means no Aubameyang, but in a longer straight line run not many will overtake him easily. He's god awful slow the first five yards though.

Sylar

TBF to him, his positional play normally means he doesnt have to be sprinting around to make last ditch tackles.

ti vu

I think he had a decent chance to with Mkhi hurt as we don't have real cover for him as the #10 and we could revert to 4-3-3 for the game.
I don't think Mourinho would revert to 3 midfielders (with Carrick as sole anchor) late preparing for the final. Double pivot is way to go now. If you watch it closely, Carrick tactically deployed differently lately than when we play with 3 midfielders

Devil may care

I don't think Mourinho would revert to 3 midfielders (with Carrick as sole anchor) late preparing for the final. Double pivot is way to go now. If you watch it closely, Carrick tactically deployed differently lately than when we play with 3 midfielders
Tonight I did notice that at times we had Pogba as a #10 in a 4-2-3-1 shape, yes, but regardless he could have game in for Mkhi on Sunday no matter how him, Ander and Pogba spread out positionally, now we are in danger of possibly playing Fellaini with both Mkhi and Carrick out.

ti vu

Tonight I did notice that at times we had Pogba as a #10 in a 4-2-3-1 shape, yes, but regardless he could have game in for Mkhi on Sunday no matter how him, Ander and Pogba spread out positionally, now we are in danger of possibly playing Fellaini with both Mkhi and Carrick out.
I don't think Southampton is physical warrant for Fellaini to start. I think Lingard would be an option. There maybe drop in quality from Mkhi to Lingard, but Lingard has some luck when it comes to Wembley, so it may work out somehow, hopefully

Devil may care

I don't think Southampton is physical warrant for Fellaini to start. I think Lingard would be an option. There maybe drop in quality from Mkhi to Lingard, but Lingard has some luck when it comes to Wembley, so it may work out somehow, hopefully
I am hoping Lingard gets the nod as well, I actually suggested it in the match day thread, basically putting him in for Mkhi with Herrera and Pogba behind him pretty much keeps the overall team make-up in tact that has been working for us, even if it is obviously a big quality drop.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
Love Carrick, and nice to hear he's available, his last few outings haven't been his best ever mind. Possibly something to keep in mind for the game.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Quiet thread yet again.

Positional discipline and intelligence doesn't get shown in stats or YouTube very easily. This guy is still our best DM and should be anchoring England's midfield despite him being ancient

Jacky Quacky

made eight consecutive posts about Fellaini once
If it wasnt for him we could easily be losing this game by the end. after 20 minutes in the second half we took full control and it was down to this man.

MadMike

Quiet thread yet again.

Positional discipline and intelligence doesn't get shown in stats or YouTube very easily. This guy is still our best DM and should be anchoring England's midfield despite him being ancient
Henderson has been anchoring for 'pool pretty admirably. And the WC is not for another year, by which time Carrick will be even more ancient and maybe even retired. That ship has sailed for him, imo.

Sylar

Much needed sub to come on. I do think we need to go for three man midfields with him anchoring it for the big games (but not needed for games we will most likely dominate esp at home).

ti vu

He did help calm thing down balance the midfield battle, but definitely not quick enough to make impact & Southampton blew us apart at the beginning of the second half & got their equalizer. Our defense couldn't cope with Southampton attacker while Southampton pretty much outnumbered, then match our when Carrick got on

RedMaestro

Times Sport (Twitter)- Michael Carrick is close to agreeing a new one-year extension to his contract

Last edited:

Djemba-Djemba

I see no issue with him staying another year. He'd be a great backup option and his experience is vital. Especially with Rooney almost certainly going

Hopefully next season we won't be as reliant on him though. Need to get his long term replacement this Summer, whoever that is.

LouisDanGaal

If we are losing Rooney and most likely young it helps to have at least one senior member of the squad around and he doesn't take a huge wage. I think his role will only carry on decreasing but classy player who offers us something nobody else in the squad can, i'd take another year option definitely.

Kag

Taking him off was stupid. Essentially, Mourinho weakened our left wing and central midfield at the same time. Fellaini was asked play the Carrick role, something he was so bad at that Mata had to play as a central midfielder from the 80 minute mark.

Ridiculous.

Devil may care

What was the whole point of that? I get bringing Felli on to get in the box but why is he sitting back with the CBs? Carrick was the best player today and a million times better at sitting deep than Fellaini.
I don't understand the Fellaini or Lingard subs to be honest, not when they were being brought on in the role he brought them on in, bizarre from Jose today.

Roboc7

Should have stayed on, fellaini was like a headless chicken until he got shoved up front.

Devil may care

Yea Lingard at LB didn't make sense either as he isn't really a winger so it's not even like he could as an attacking fullback.
Yeah, I could understand it when we did that in the past with Valencia and brought Nani on in front of him and he dropped into RB, but Jesse isn't a left winger and wont offer width so that side became dead, he should have brought Blind on, we could have used his composure on the ball in the final 3rd.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Legs have gone he's having a Gary Nev end to his United career

Sylar

Think the only one that should have come on for him was Herrera. Unless we were going to push Rooney back (but Jose said he wouldnt do that). Think we would have booted it up less with him on the pitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.