Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
What a weird comment considering the last couple of matches. A 22 year old Carrick wouldn't win foot races against King.
@Rossa what are you talking about. I've watched Carrick for years and never saw him slide tackle. Today he did about 4 in the one game. His legs have completely gone as has Rooneys.

Pace Abuser

We might have worsened with him coming off and other substitutions should be apportioned some of that blame, but my word have his legs gone.

Rossa

@Rossa what are you talking about. I've watched Carrick for years and never saw him slide tackle. Today he did about 4 in the one game. His legs have completely gone as has Rooneys.
I've watched him for years as well, and he is one of my favorite players, and although I agree he is struggling a bit more physically, he has never been about speed on those first few yards - he's always been slow on the turn. Bournemouth, for all their deficiencies, are a physical side with fast players. Carrick doesn't like those too much. Even if he is losing his legs, he never relied on them much, like Rooney did and still does.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Should have kept him on - he was only the one giving forward ground passes

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
What a weird comment considering the last couple of matches. A 22 year old Carrick wouldn't win foot races against King.
He even actually caught up to King once and stopped him from making a run.

No he's not. Sure today wasn't his best game but still has another season in him.
He bossed the first half. He was our best player. Not legs gone and like Neville.

Rossa

He even actually caught up to King once and stopped him from making a run.

He bossed the first half. He was our best player. Not legs gone and like Neville.
He's still pretty fast on longer stretches, as I've argued many times, but he struggles when players accelerate past him, and from a standstill he is a little sluggish, but as far as I can remember, he has always been like this.

Agree with him being our best player in the first half, alongside Valencia.

ti vu

Never convincing in the midfield 2. I don't know what Jose was thinking with Carrick & Pogba as midfield 2. Both take many touches with the ball. We're good when we're dominating, but when the other team put up a fight in midfield, we lack the workhorse to bring out Carrick' ability in intercepting & sweeping. And we're too slow in the build up against pressing when our midfield 2 taking too many touches & slow attacking line. He's not that good in pressing & ball winning by his own. Pogba is all arounded & not lazy, but not the best partner for someone like Carrick who prefers a industrious partner. His passing is off too compare to his usual standard: more overhit, intercepted pass.

Last edited:

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I've watched him for years as well, and he is one of my favorite players, and although I agree he is struggling a bit more physically, he has never been about speed on those first few yards - he's always been slow on the turn. Bournemouth, for all their deficiencies, are a physical side with fast players. Carrick doesn't like those too much. Even if he is losing his legs, he never relied on them much, like Rooney did and still does.
I never said he was quick but he's way off the pace and has been for a while. He is a shadow of himself and he was one of my favourite players.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
He's still pretty fast on longer stretches, as I've argued many times, but he struggles when players accelerate past him, and from a standstill he is a little sluggish, but as far as I can remember, he has always been like this.

Agree with him being our best player in the first half, alongside Valencia.

He is. We've seen it in a few games in the last couple of months where he has done more harrying and pressing, and it's still quite surprising at his age. I can't think of a player who has a greater difference between their standing start acceleration and sprint top speed. Off the mark, it's like he's running through treacle, after the first few yards, his top speed is very good and he keeps up with some very quick players.

Shouldn't have come off. We needed calm and composure, because our second half was panicked and reckless. Everyone bar Mata seemed to have lost their head. Bournemouth were controlling the pace of the game and hey shouldn't have been allowed to do that. In those situations, Carrick is the man you want to keep the game under control. I'd have taken Jones off and had Carrick dictating from deep and dropping in to CB when we didn't have the ball.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Eddie Howe the next great British manager went into the game tactically without bothering to pressure Carrick. That was the most unprepared a manager has come to Old Trafford this season.

Whenever that happens Carrick tears teams a new one. His only issue is when he is pressed constantly.

It was a travesty we didn't put 4 past them by the 35th minute for our dominance.

Devil may care

It's starting to feel like we wont be giving him an extension, he's behind even the talentless lump when it comes to the pecking order for midfield, he'll probably have to play on Sunday but I get the feeling Jose doesn't see any use for him beyond this season.

limerickcitykid

Which is completely stupid as he regularly puts in good performances and can be very useful.

The whole three at the back was a waste today and he should have been in instead of one of them.

Sylar

It's starting to feel like we wont be giving him an extension, he's behind even the talentless lump when it comes to the pecking order for midfield, he'll probably have to play on Sunday but I get the feeling Jose doesn't see any use for him beyond this season.
Unless we had weekend in mind with that sub. Carrick seems like a defo starter for weekend (ill be very very surprised if he isnt).

Devil may care

Unless we had weekend in mind with that sub. Carrick seems like a defo starter for weekend (ill be very very surprised if he isnt).
That has been said before in the previous games where he hasn't played, I don't think we are saving him for anything, had Pogba not gotten hurt it would be Pogba and Fellaini on Sunday, now Carrick will have to play but it feels more like needs must than seeing his value IMO.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
We are a better team when he plays.

Herrera has had a great season but his passing between the lines is not even close to Carrick's level which is weird as I thought Herrera was known for that in Spain.

Despite Carrick's flaws (slow acceleration, lack of goal threat and not physically dynamic ) he is our best defensive presence and best passer from deep.

With our fixtures and injuries we need him more than ever.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Ah he's back to being good again is it? The Carrick cycle continues.

limerickcitykid

Not for the last two years he hasn't. Take a look through this thread if you want evidence of this trend.
Taking a look through this thread he often gets positive reviews with the odd mixed review in some games where some think he was poor and others think he was pretty good. If we just look at your posts then sure it isn't good. He is also the 4th highest rated player on here. Hardly much evidence.

diarm

He isn't necessarily the player he once was but if nothing else, he has the courage and technical ability to play forward passes, even when there are easier backwards ones available.

Last night was screaming out for Carrick I thought.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Taking a look through this thread he often gets positive reviews with the odd mixed review in some games where some think he was poor and others think he was pretty good. If we just look at your posts then sure it isn't good. He is also the 4th highest rated player on here. Hardly much evidence.
That's odd, just picked a random page and the first 5 posts are about how gash he had been.

Carrick gets overrated on the Redcafe shocker!

Sylar

Would have liked to have seen him put his foot on the ball a bit more especially those last 20 minutes.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Looked a bit sluggish at times but had to do a lot of work to cover.
Aye. He was pressing high at times, especially in that second half because Mata had gone and Rashford was puffing. If he'd have played his natural game and sat in the CDM spot sweeping up either channel and being a passing option to everyone then we'd have effectively had a back 7 out there today. He had to move forward and did so fairly well but it's clear to see that (the pressing stuff) can't be his game going forward.

m1y2

eagerly awaiting the day when he finally retires, he's been good servant for the club but the tempo we play with him is always slow when there's no one to make up for his lack of running and his passing isn't that brilliant either, what is even the point to play him when he needs a lot of time to execute the right pass and has to drop deep between three center backs, we really dont need him, if we buy a midfielder or two of the class required at United

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff
eagerly awaiting the day when he finally retires, he's been good servant for the club but the tempo we play with him is always slow when there's no one to make up for his lack of running and his passing isn't that brilliant either, what is even the point to play him when he needs a lot of time to execute the right pass and has to drop deep between three center backs, we really dont need him, if we buy a midfielder or two of the class required at United
Sorry but this comment is a bit OTT. If you watched Yaya Toure capitulate at 60 minutes yesterday you should show some respect for the way Carrick (who is older) has kept himself in great shape to play CM for us, despite rarely getting called into action.

We've lost one game in which he's played in this season; If he can't pass and run as you are stating that wouldn't be the case.

shield

Think he was chosen only because we had no other midfield options. Did well, but struggled towards the end when they all camped in our half and the space got restricted. We needed someone to battle and fight for the ball then. Too much to expect him to do it.

Still a class player. We would have still have dominated with him had one of Poga or Herrera been available.

m1y2

Sorry but this comment is a bit OTT. If you watched Yaya Toure capitulate at 60 minutes yesterday you should show some respect for the way Carrick (who is older) has kept himself in great shape to play CM for us, despite rarely getting called into action.

We've lost one game in which he's played in this season; If he can't pass and run as you are stating that wouldn't be the case.
I don't deny he has kept himself in a good shape, I'm just saying that there is many better midfielders over the years when he entered his 30s who could replace him. The way some talk about him is that he's the passer almost of Scholes quality and he's very far from that. His passing lately is very off as well and nowhere near his best season, that last one under SAF, when he was bossing it, he should have been replaced long time ago though,. It's not his mistake that he still plays for us, he's still capable of good performances gives us balance but, he had a lot of games in which he struggled high tempo games etc. that's today's football, he would never get that many games in Bayern or Barcelona or real, the teams we should try to match, the midfield wasn't adressed until lately... the average Cleverleys and Gibsons, the injured Andersons, the ill Fletchers, the no confidence Schneiderlins, Rooneys in midfield etc. Fellaini ffs helped Carrick to maintain his place in the team, he wouldn't be here if we invested our money properly or get the best out of some players..

At least now we have two midfielders of high quality in Pogba and Herrera who are of the level we need, it's time to add one or two more, replace the deadwood and raise our level

m1y2

Well, ....... 26.10.2016.

you didn't get it, he in full speed still looks capable but his first few steps which are the most important in the game of football and turn is shocking, he's lacking terribly in dynamism and stamina, which you both need to be successfull in the PL these days..

Robertd0803

If you watched Yaya Toure capitulate at 60 minutes yesterday you should show some respect for the way Carrick (who is older) has kept himself in great shape to play CM for us, despite rarely getting called into action.
Off topic but on this note, Toure looked like a heavyweight boxer about 10 years past his prime yesterday.

And back on topic, nice to see Carrick though was hoping we would have more control late on with him but Boro were completely bypassing the midfield mostly. When he did get the ball at his feet we were fine.

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff
Off topic but on this note, Toure looked like a heavyweight boxer about 10 years past his prime yesterday.

And back on topic, nice to see Carrick though was hoping we would have more control late on with him but Boro were completely bypassing the midfield mostly. When he did get the ball at his feet we were fine.
Agree on Toure, which again I see as a real testament to how Carrick has kept his fitness in comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.