6.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fracture90

Dafuq, we've been singing his name at almost every game that he's started at Old Trafford for the last I don't know how many years. He's not unsung at all.

With Herrera and Pogba in the squad his playmaking responsibilities have already been replaced. We don't need to replace him like-for-like, like he didn't replace Keane like-for-like.
I really haven't been a part of this forum that back in the past to know that.

From my personal experience outside of this forum he was very much under-appreciated by the good part of UTD fans.

Mike09

Dafuq, we've been singing his name at almost every game that he's started at Old Trafford for the last I don't know how many years. He's not unsung at all.

With Herrera and Pogba in the squad his playmaking responsibilities have already been replaced. We don't need to replace him like-for-like, like he didn't replace Keane like-for-like.
We have also been singing Park's name and he's still our unsung hero. Old Trafford is big, Manchester has many population, United fans are a lot and worldwide. There are still many people out there are still underappreciate what Carrick has done. A few fans who are chanting his name in Old Trafford are small part of our fans.

MadMike

We have also been singing Park's name and he's still our unsung hero. Old Trafford is big, Manchester has many population, United fans are a lot and worldwide. There are still many people out there are still underappreciate what Carrick has done. A few fans who are chanting his name in Old Trafford are small part of our fans.
The fans at Old Trafford are the only ones that players can hear. There could be a million Indonesian fans underappreciating Carrick (or not), how would anyone know? The fans at Old Trafford have been appreciating Carrick for a very very long time now, and singing his name.

Park's name was sung plenty too. If you want to talk about under-appreciation in the forums then I can see that being the case about Park perhaps. The majority of the fans still debate whether he was good enough, or another example of SAF managing to win things with inferior players. Not many people debate that about Carrick. I've not seen anyone say he has not been great for us over the last 10 years.

Mike09

The fans at Old Trafford are the only ones that players can hear. There could be a million Indonesian fans underappreciating Carrick (or not), how would anyone know? The fans at Old Trafford have been appreciating Carrick for a very very long time now, and singing his name.

Park's name was sung plenty too. If you want to talk about under-appreciation in the forums then I can see that being the case about Park perhaps. The majority of the fans still debate whether he was good enough, or another example of SAF managing to win things with inferior players. Not many people debate that about Carrick. I've not seen anyone say he has not been great for us over the last 10 years.
Like I have already said before chanting the name doesn't mean the players have been well appreciated in Manchester United community. The appreciation started to grow as some people will start to realise his role. But I still seen so many of our fans still think he's not part of the key of our success for more than 5 years. He's just hasn't been appreciated in a degree of what he deserves. That's why player like Carrick, Brown and Park were unsung hero even though the fans like them but doesn't mean they appreciate them as high as they should be getting.

The red panther

princess transfer emo
Even at his age, even with his current "average" performances (in comparison to his best form at the club), he is still our best CM for me. The one who truly tries to play with his brain.
Because the legs have been gone a very long time ago.

In modern football if you want to play dominant you need your entire squad to be in motion. Motion creates spaces when you have the ball and it closes spaces when you don't have the ball. Man United this season is one of the teams who covers the smalles distance per match. We are a very static team and imo, it is a huge, maybay even the biggest reason why we have so many problems in scoring goals.

Carrick is the slowest player and the player who covers the least distance from all outfield players when he plays. He is static and plays like a statue and I think most on here don't even half realise how much it affects our game. When he is not on the pitch I think we play much more fluid and much better.

And for all the praise about playing with his brain and having such incredible passing skills, he still has not assisted any goals from MF all season long.

Most overrated player in the team currently by a country mile

DenisIrwin

He did well today. Best time to bring him on. He can start against teams that are already beaten.

The red panther

princess transfer emo
Thank feck Pirlo/Scholes/Alonso/Xavi all retired before "modern football" came along.
They all retired when the legs were completley gone and they noticed their lack of mobility started to affect their game too much. Carrick should follow their example.

Also all of these midfielders are miles better than Carrick in terms reading the game and finding and executing the right pass. You won't hear me deny the role of a deeplying playmaker but Carricks ability in that regard is vastly overrated as he is nowhere near the quality of any of those players you summed up. That is not to say he isn't an intelligent player who can play a good pass, he has been an excellent midfielder for United over his career and been very important for us. But his last good season was 4 years ago in 2013, he had a noticeable impact on our game and he really created something from midfield aswell as he had 6 assists back than. Over the next 4 years he has had a total of 2 assists, that is laughable how people can still say he creates anything, he doesn't, there is no playmaking. He is just a player who stays back and provides a safe option to pass the ball and he doesn't lose possesion because he keeps onto the ball and only gives it away if he has a safe pass to play, that is not playmaking at all, that is zombiestyle slow passing. Something which I recall was a major complaint about Scholes when he came back for his last stint under Fergie aswell and you won't hear me deny Scholes is one of the best midfielders of all time but that last period when he was 36, he was not good anymore and many were saying the same thing at that time, living off a reputation which was simply long gone. Carrick is the same age now and he is also living off a repuation long gone, he still living off that 2013 season and can't do anything wrong for some whatsoever since then and if he plays a half decent pass that doesn't result in anything it will be elevated to smart playmaking.

Carrick is past is, it is already long noticeable and I really hope I won't have to see him slow down our play next season anymore.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin

In modern football if you want to play dominant you need your entire squad to be in motion. Motion creates spaces when you have the ball and it closes spaces when you don't have the ball. Man United this season is one of the teams who covers the smalles distance per match. We are a very static team and imo, it is a huge, maybay even the biggest reason why we have so many problems in scoring goals.

Carrick is the slowest player and the player who covers the least distance from all outfield players when he plays. He is static and plays like a statue and I think most on here don't even half realise how much it affects our game. When he is not on the pitch I think we play much more fluid and much better.

And for all the praise about playing with his brain and having such incredible passing skills, he still has not assisted any goals from MF all season long.

Scholes is the best deep play maker I've seen and didn't have many assists.

I agree he is slow. Not at sprinting but changing directions and small bursts. This and his lack of physicality and goal threat are his flaws.

But his positioning and passing is still top class.

When he doesn't play we lose more . He should start for England even at his age because he has something that no England midfielder seems to possess : positional discipline.

Aza Boy

There could be a million Indonesian fans underappreciating Carrick (or not), how would anyone know? The fans at Old Trafford have been appreciating Carrick for a very very long time now, and singing his name.
I am from Indonesia, mate...and i think this goes only applied to young's united Fans...can not blame them for the still-improve knowledge of Football...but Fans from older generation like me (I'm 38 years old) whom year by year follow Man Utd with Carrick in it would never under appreciating him...

Personal though only, in the first years, I also felt Carrick was nothing special...dunno, may be because he played with other hard-runner midfielders like Fletcher and Hargreaves...At first time I never understand why Man Utd spent on this chap...never intercept, never sprint, never shot, rare killer pass, basically just MEH player...but years after, seemed his game is slowly increase, especially when modern football starting to like playing "hidden playmaker"...

Carrick at his peak for me offered calmness for back four...yes may be he is not the hard tackler tough bastard, yes may be he is not the Free-kick maestro, yes he is not the killer pass play maker...but with the Carrick in the team, feels like we play with more assurance, purpose, more stable mentality, and more confident.

Just my 2 cents...hehehe

criticalanalysis

Although I'm not going to be quite as harsh as you have especially after a decent cameo, during most of the season this was exactly my complaint. The way we play, we don't need a Carrick behind Herrera and Pogba. We need energy (with decent ball playing ability). For all his great reading and experience, it doesn't negate the fact that, if your deepest lying midfielder is 10 yards behind the rest of the team and also moves slower and the least (i.e up/down the pitch), you're gonna have problems creating those attacking transitions and opportunities to break down teams.

I thought that guy would be Schneiderlin/Schweini sigh and even clung onto hope at least when Fellani plays it would help but then Mourinho plays him far up the pitch. Our most creative midfielder, Herrera (official in stats as of today) still has to do the simple and not really game effecting defensive job (hint it should be Fellani at the base).

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

If that is you expect from him then I don't know what to say :lol: He wasn't even doing that on a regular basis at his peak.

Man Utd 2:1 Anderlecht

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Cannot believe we're giving him a new contract. Just doesn't cut it anymore. He's not protecting anything.

NinjaFletch

He's no longer capable of playing in a two man midfield, and he's especially not capable of doing it when his partner himself often needs to be helped out defensively. You can't blame him for being mis-used.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
He was a lot better after Fellaini came on. Should not play in the formation like in the first half but beggers can't be choosers at this point.

3KDré

Need to replace him.

EDIT: Not because he is bad but because he's on his last legs.

Last edited:

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
My MOTM no idea what game the rest of you was watching

Yagami

Good post resistant
I thought he played well. His crisp passing and great reading of the game allowed us top pile on the pressure in the 2nd half and ET.

Hope he signs.

Dobbs

Plated quite well, they're a nice team for him.

One moment summed him up though. Ball fell to him on the edge of the area, perfect on the half volley and he still tried to pass it sideways!

Rossa

He's good in a 3 with 2 others to do the hard yards for him, but he's no longer close to sufficient in a 2. He doesn't cover the same amount of ground he used to. Still a useful player to have in the squad.
Very few modern midfielders are good in a midfield two though. Pogba is rubbish, and Herrera isn't very good there either.

Thought he was pretty good, but nothing special.

Sylar

I think its obvious for teams that will press our midfield, Carrick should not be used in a two man midfield.
IMO, its been like this for about 3 years but we still see it which is baffling.

criticalanalysis

Very few modern midfielders are good in a midfield two though. Pogba is rubbish, and Herrera isn't very good there either.
I don't think it's a 'modern midfielders' thing, it's just most teams play with 3 in the middle in some shape or form, so no matter how good your two midfielders are, they'll always be exposed.

el3mel

His age is starting to show when we meet a team that exerts high pressure. We should rush in summer to get his replacement.

I'll happy if he remains next season but with a limited role tbh. He's good in certain types of games when the opponent doesn't press much but all in all can't be a starter very often.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Hope he signs on for another year and we find a way to use him properly.

Yagami

Good post resistant
He's one of the best midfielders I've ever seen, too. Criminally underrated - still! Englands use of him still annoys me.
Hope he signs on for another year and we find a way to use him properly.
Yes! He's still a quality player who can add a lot to the squad. Still one of the better midfielders in the league, in my opinion.

PepsiCola

Huge praise indeed but in my opinion he never quite reached the heights of Xabi Alonso or Busquets at their peaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.