Status
Not open for further replies.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads

Michael Carrick
Jul 28, 1981 (34)
Wallsend

1.88 m

Michael Carrick has been a pivotal cog in the Manchester United machine since joining from Tottenham Hotspur in 2006. The current vice-captain is a lynchpin of the Reds' engine room, dictating play with his considered, refined style.

Understated, and often underrated, it was only from 2012/13 when Carrick truly gained wider acclaim for his performances, earning a spot in the PFA Premier League Team of the Season and being voted Players' Player of the Year by his United team-mates.

Although now at the stage of his career where his involvement must be carefully regulated to ensure we get the best from the instrumental midfielder, Carrick still played a key role throughout the 2015/16 season as the second longest-serving current United player completed his medal collection, picking up the FA Cup for the first time.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
He's still really good and should have started for England in the Euros.

Rossa

Agreed.

In reflection, England's midfield should of had him at the base with Noble and Alli ahead of him.
England never seem to have warmed for an intelligent and calm figure like Carrick over the all action types of Henderson. I think you need both. Still a quality player.

Mike09

He was still our best centre mid last season even though it was his worst season in United shirt. I think Mourinho will rely him a lot as our deeplying midfielder. Surely Mourinho still rates him high since he was offered a new contract.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He was still our best centre mid last season even though it was his worst season in United shirt. I think Mourinho will rely him a lot as our deeplying midfielder. Surely Mourinho still rates him high since he was offered a new contract.
Thought his wheels had came off xmas onwards. Looked like he couldnt run and at the pace he ran (stroller) that was worrying (Neville and Blanc) the same happened to them they just couldnt move. I hope im wrong because as a player he is superb.

Terminator

Will we ever replace him? He's 34 and is still the best passer at the club ffs.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Will we ever replace him? He's 34 and is still the best passer at the club ffs.
That would be Blind now. We shouldn't look to replace him directly, not required under Mourinho, a midfield pairing of Pogba and Schneiderlin seems suitably balanced to me.

DenisIrwin

Ffs! He hasn't actually done anything yet this season! I will probably copy and paste this next spring.

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
He was a brilliant midfielder and massively understated as the OP states but he has been in decline for at least 2 seasons and now frequently gets caught in possession. Pleased he's got another contract because he can be a great influence in the dreasing room and a player that could come off the bench when the opposition are tired and ping passes about but shouldn't be starting games anymore.

Obiorahking_

Still a serviceable player in his old age...Can be relied on to sit in front of the defense when we want to play more defensively.

Mihai

England never seem to have warmed for an intelligent and calm figure like Carrick over the headless chicken Henderson. I think you need both. Still a quality player.
Fixed

Walters_19_MuFc

Jose's going to love him. Not only his ability on the pitch, but his great professionalism off it too. Think he will play a lot in the upcoming season.

Yagami

Good post resistant
So glad José decided to keep him! I love watching this guy play and pass teams to death despite obviously being on the decline these past few years. His incisive passes are like a hot knife through butter to the oppositions midfield, and now that we have a #10 (if he's played there hopefully) in Mkhi who can take the ball, turn, and play those killer balls, they'll be even more brutal to the oppostion. I just hope that Mkhi is played there because our other #10 options wouldn't make full use of such passes. Unless a Rashford, Januzaj, Pereira, etc step up of course.

Our #10s for the past few years in Rooney, Kagawa, Mata have either had a bad first touch, or been too slow and weak to be able to take the ball under pressure and turn having recieved an excellent ball from Carrick, so hopefully now with Mkhi we'll have a player who can make full use of those balls. I don't think we've had a player who has since RvP in his 1st season with us thinking about it.

AgentP

With all the attention on Pogba, one of our own is being ignored on here. Show some appreciation guys!

flappyjay

My heart breaks a little when I realize that he and Wazza are the only ones left from the 2008 team:(

derace

love carrick he is still one of my favorites. hope he has a good season :devil:

Bruno8

Happy birthday to our Midfield general. Classy midfielders dont come better than him. All the best in the new season and hopefully you get your testimonial end of season

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
Happy birthday to the underrated hero, United legend.

Walters_19_MuFc

Always little action in Carrick threads. He's come on and controlled the whole second half against Galatasaray. Still by far our best midfielder.

izec

We need a tempo controller when he retires, Weigl or Verratti to replace Carrick, break the bank.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Always little action in Carrick threads. He's come on and controlled the whole second half against Galatasaray. Still by far our best midfielder.
This. Should still be one of the first names on the team sheet.

askabob

He will be a great mentor for Pogba (if he joins us).

By far our best midfielder and his passing range is among the best in the world.

Quality player and United Legend IMO. Will be a sad day when he retires.

Man-United

Carrick at his best is still our best midfielder yes, despite that many wants him on the bench.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I think we have a significant problem. He's 35.
We can't rely on him playing often and he's fairly injury prone.
The drop in quality compared to the other options is just too much.
We need another midfielder with Pogba.

Devil may care

I think we have a significant problem. He's 35.
We can't rely on him playing often and he's fairly injury prone.
The drop in quality compared to the other options is just too much.
We need another midfielder with Pogba.
I agree, he's the only CM we have that can thread it with consistent accuracy and move the pieces around, but in the PL he fades under the press these days more so than ever as his mobility is so poor.

JackXX

Can't believe we are going to go into another season relying on him as our best holding midfielder. This should have been addressed years ago. He will get overwhelmed in big games and you can't expect him to be at his best and not get injuries for a whole season at his age.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
On form and injury free he's still our most influential midfielder.

Ephrem

break the bank again for Verrati next season or whenever he decide to quit PSG
Verrati
Pogba Schneirdlein

Status
Not open for further replies.