Not open for further replies.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads

Michael Carrick
Jul 28, 1981 (35)
England

1.88 m

Michael Carrick said:
It feels great and it is such a huge honour to captain such a great club. It is my 12th year now and I came as a 25-year-old. I never thought I could be here for so long and achieve so much.

Now, to lead the boys and look after the young boys, to guide them in some ways, it is a nice thing and a real pleasure. I came to this club as a footballer and I am now a huge fan.

I have grown to love the club over the years and to be in this position is very special for me

Last edited:

Kag

Flying under the radar a little bit but the less we see of him on the pitch the better. It's hardly surprising given his age, but taking the back end of last season into account, as well as this pre season, he looks finished at this level.

kundalini

An underwhelming pre-season. Looked off the pace much of the time.

pascell

Once he's fully match fit and sharp he'll give us some solid performances. Iirc in the past few seasons he's always been slow to pick up form, he'll be fine and will be important for us this season.

PTSTSL

He always starts slow but lets be sensible and add Dendoncker now, and for once sensibly phase out a fantastic player for us without ruining his legacy.

AshRK

No matter what game we are playing and what competition we are playing in, jose must not start Carrick and Fellini together. They are pathetic together. I don't want to see them together.

AP88

Supports
Man City
He'll play a part, but it should be a small, spare part now.

He's had a few exceptional seasons over his 11 years at United, but overall I think the sudden elevation of his reputation in the past few years has been a tad hyperbolic.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Could really see the difference between him and Matic, but that's not surprising given the age.

Let's use Carrick in the slow European games where he will get a bit more time on the ball, but his lack of legs/energy to stop counters is going to be a real problem.

Luke1995

We can already tell he will get very limited premier league game time. Not sure if Mourinho trust him to play in the Champions League either. He should definitely play vs Burton Albion though, maybe give us a masterclass like against Northampton last season. He could be a very important player in english cup games, but that's about it. I miss the days when he was an undisputed starter. It's weird to have a captain not even make the squad sometimes.

el3mel

We can already tell he will get very limited premier league game time. Not sure if Mourinho trust him to play in the Champions League either. He should definitely play vs Burton Albion though, maybe give us a masterclass like against Northampton last season. He could be a very important player in english cup games, but that's about it. I miss the days when he was an undisputed starter. It's weird to have a captain not even make the squad sometimes.
He should be limited only to FA cup and League cup games tbh. He's a great presence in the dressing room with his experience but we don't need him on the field anymore.

Minimalist

League Cup and FA Cup won't be priorities this season. Particularly with how hard the league is and the CL added on to it. Carrick should be a cup player only, along with a few other players.

Man Utd 4:1 Burton

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Hard to believe it's not Scholes.

What a man. Remember when he was criticized for passing only sideways? Does he actually ever pass sideways? :lol:

Scarecrow

Having a week off
You cnuts don't deserve a passing masterclass like that, if you're not going to appreciate it.

Luke1995

Was expecting a masterclass like last season against Northampton Town and am very happy with this. People who want to see him sold or retire are absolutely crazy. I hope he stays until 2019.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Hard to believe it's not Scholes.

What a man. Remember when he was criticized for passing only sideways? Does he actually ever pass sideways? :lol:
There was a season where less than 30% of his passes were forwards if I remember correctly.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
There was a season where less than 30% of his passes were forwards if I remember correctly.
Yeah, it's not very clear what I meant in my comment. He was rightly criticized for passing sideways too much, at one point, but now he barely does. His first motion when receiving the ball is always looking up the pitch and tracking the forwards movement.

Sylar

Should make him a coach next season imo. Very composed. Having him an extra year is great. For games like this, 2 man midfield will work for him.
When injuries occur, having him in a 3 man midfield with runners around him will work.

his passing and vision is fantastic.

Sylar

Yeah, it's not very clear what I meant in my comment. He was rightly criticized for passing sideways too much, at one point, but now he barely does. His first motion when receiving the ball is always looking up the pitch and tracking the forwards movement.
Im wondering if it was a season where we had strikers come so deep or static he had nobody in front of him to pass to :lol:

thebelfastboy

makes it looks so easy, always seems to have time on the ball. what a fantastic player he has been for united.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Im wondering if it was a season where we had strikers come so deep or static he had nobody in front of him to pass to :lol:
It was around the time he had Cleverley for partner and Rooney, Berbatov and Giggs ahead of him.

Sylar

It was around the time he had Cleverley for partner and Rooney, Berbatov and Giggs ahead of him.
So two strikers who would drop very very deep and not stretch play. And two other players who would be next to him. hmmm :P

Andersons Dietician

He was superb last night. After the McGregor Floyd fight Connor said it was Floyds composure that amazed him. Watching Carrick last night his composure really stood out. People were going at him and he would never rush the pass, he just held his nerve until the very last 2nd.

That pass in to Lingard for the Rashford goal and then the pass to Martial for the Lingard game.

Akshay

Staff
He always deferred to the better creative midfielder when played next to one. If Scholes were playing alongside him yesterday he'd have gone right back to the safe passes and giving the ball to his better partner. Makes sense in a way. Similarly we saw more passing range and playmaking from Matic against Everton as Pogba was out.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Really nice performance. He's been unlucky not to get any minutes so far, with a performance like that I wouldn't be surprised to see him behind Matic and Herrera against Southampton.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
How has he managed to get himself injured. Builds the centre mid injury list up.

While he most likely wouldn't have started tomorrow, he could well get a game in the cups soon, so hope it's a minor injury,

Luke1995

This is weird, reminds me of when Rooney was being left out of matchdays squads last season with undisclosed injuries..

United_We_Stand

I know these are some of the least reliable sources, but the Sun claim Carrick absense is down to "mystery illness",
MICHAEL CARRICK has been sidelined since feeling dizzy after his last match nearly SIX weeks ago.
Manchester United’s medical chief Steve McNally tried to get to the bottom of the problem following Carrick’s appearance against Burton — his only match of the season
The Sun also said it's unknown when he'll return to first-team action
It is not known when Carrick will return to first-team action
https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/foot...hael-carrick-mystery-illness-baffles-doctors/

The Mail quoted the Sun on the "mystery illness", but it said Carrick will return to training this week
Manchester United medical staff remain unsure what caused Michael Carrick's nauseous spell on the sidelines but the midfielder will return to training this week
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...rrick-mystery-illness-puzzles-Man-United.html

AgentP

This month will probably be the only time we desperately needed him with both Pogba and Fellaini out. By the time Carrick is fit, all our first choice midfielders will also be back. Maybe we'll use him once in a while to rest Matic.

Luke1995

This month will probably be the only time we desperately needed him with both Pogba and Fellaini out. By the time Carrick is fit, all our first choice midfielders will also be back. Maybe we'll use him once in a while to rest Matic.
Rumours are emerging that Aston Villa West Brom and Leicester are all planning to make offers for him in January but that he is unwilling to end his United career. I'm sure he is frustrated, but there's no way Mourinho hasn't talked to him about his role, he must know he won't play in the champions league or in the big PL games. I am one of the few people in this forum who actually wants him to be first choice in the midfield and play most of the matches, but I can acknowledge the more his career here goes on the more his age becomes a problem. I just think last season he was good and we saw nothing this season really to claim he is past an acceptable standard of performance. Past his prime yeah, sure, but just how much has he slowed down ?

Antonedwin

Rumours are emerging that Aston Villa West Brom and Leicester are all planning to make offers for him in January but that he is unwilling to end his United career. I'm sure he is frustrated, but there's no way Mourinho hasn't talked to him about his role, he must know he won't play in the champions league or in the big PL games. I am one of the few people in this forum who actually wants him to be first choice in the midfield and play most of the matches, but I can acknowledge the more his career here goes on the more his age becomes a problem. I just think last season he was good and we saw nothing this season really to claim he is past an acceptable standard of performance. Past his prime yeah, sure, but just how much has he slowed down ?
Not much , the last time he played , he still run our midfield & his passing still great as ever. He is okay to play against opposition who defend deep. Too bad injured when we need him the most

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
Rumours that he is done and might retire or play out his days at lower league clubs , talk of west brom and newcastle too, with benitez wanting a xabi alonso type midfielder. He has had a splendid career with us and i hope whatever his sendoff is, we recognize how important he has been for us.
These are just rumours though, maybe they are due to his age and his illness that has not been defined.

Status
Not open for further replies.