6.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Josep Dowling

Great to see him back. I will be gutted when he retires.

One of those few players that just doesn’t panic on the ball and because of this he always appears to have more time and space to pick a pass. Like Scholes and Pirlo in that sense.

Zlatattack

Great to see him back. I will be gutted when he retires.

One of those few players that just doesn’t panic on the ball and because of this he always appears to have more time and space to pick a pass. Like Scholes and Pirlo in that sense.
Agree. It was great to see him back.

Mr.Ridiculous__

The name says it all

I'm going to miss him when he retires. Fabulous player who would have made our midfield untouchable alongside Pogba and Matic, had he been in his prime.

marlowe78

I'm probably going over the top but there was something otherworldly about seeing him dictate the game yesterday. Just standing in acres of space, picking passes, and moving us forward so effortlessly. Looked to really be enjoying himself.

I'm of the opinion that Carrick can't be replaced. He has the attributes and the course of development that you simply can't buy from another club or purposely develop in your academy. It's just that he had the right combination of skill, intelligence, and longevity that happened to fall into place. I don't think his coaching will result in 'another Carrick,' only a player who has some of the abilities.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Hoping he starts on the weekend instead of Matic. Oh and Herrera next to him and pogba so we have some actual balance.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Or for Pogba or Matic? At least he could have moved the ball and passed it forward.. But he would get overrun like the others did..
He played in the FA Cup recently maybe Jose will see what happened today and give him minutes in the league.

Carl S Bridge

I personally believe Carrick was world class. He possesses football intelligence that was unbelievable. He would have fit right into Barcelona's team. He knew the right ball to play before he even received the ball. S truly top class player. And the most underrated man utd player of all time. His composure is sorely missed. People praise matic who I must admit is a great player and has improved us but prime Carrick was much better

AP88

Supports
Man City
He should get some games as a CB. Seriously.
I had the exact same thought before mate - he reads the game well so wouldn’t experience the Jones-esque lapses of position, is mobile and passes out better than anyone else; Bailly’s pace and aggression would be the perfect balance IMO, it’s something that should at least be trialled, could potentially do another season there too.

Devil may care

Jose will probably think it's too soon to play him in a PL game but after tonight's shit show he might be tempted.

Eddy_JukeZ

I love Carrick, but I don't know if he'd do good in the league.

Can't hurt to try vs a league minnow I suppose.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
It's crazy how we keep going back to this guy as the solution. But always justified.
It's because he seems to be the only midfielder in the squad who consistently knew how to keep his position intelligently and also pick out forward passes at the right time. Matic is a good player but probably should be used in a midfield 3 as the holding mid like I want Carrick used (and Matic looks beyond tired). And Matic at his best wasn't a patch on Carrick at his best anyway, never had that passing or intelligence to the same extent. Then next to him, there's Pogba who has shite decision making, 0 positional awareness, and doesn't know how to control the tempo of games. Herrera is an energetic midfielder who should be used more but obviously he isn't world class, he's just a solid squad player who should come in for the big games in a midfield 3. Then Fellaini who also has 0 positional awareness, isn't a good passer, and is more just good to be an added goal threat from midfield (a midfield 3 at that).

Antonedwin

Hoping he starts on the weekend instead of Matic. Oh and Herrera next to him and pogba so we have some actual balance.
It's crazy how we keep going back to this guy as the solution. But always justified.
i think if we had prime carrick today , we wouldn't be overrun by spurs , his ability to pick the right pass, keep us tick ,his positioning, cutting opponent passing line and interception was world class. he made cleverly and anderson looked world class as well

it's still amaze me how he and scholes dominate EPL midfield for years by just 2 of them

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Carrick's the one midfielder capable of consistency hitting through balls from deep in midfield. Without him United seems to find moving the ball from back to front like stirring treacle.

Rajma

His first time incisive passing is phenomenal, no one in our team is capable of that making him still valuable for us, don't think he should retire just yet.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Love seeing him on the pitch. If he had it in him, I'd love to see him sit as our DLP, with Matic as more of a box to box player, freeing up Alexis and Pogba further forwards. Sadly, I don't think he has it in him anymore.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

He is from a generation of United footballers that tried everything to get the ball forward. I guess he can be like Giggs was in his later years for the rest of the season. Most likely our best passer still.

Jaybomb

It’s definitely debatable.

Pogba and Matic are hardly setting the world alight, neither have Carrick’s class. Age is of course an issue though.
Pogba, Matic, Herrera and Fellaini are all better options than Carrick nowadays. Probably McTominay aswell.

He had no business being on the pitch today. Should have retired last season.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Pogba, Matic, Herrera and Fellaini are all better options than Carrick nowadays. Probably McTominay aswell.

He had no business being on the pitch today. Should have retired last season.
We’ll agree to disagree.

Fellaini however, doesn’t deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as Carrick.

Manny

Grammar Police
He can do whatever is needed at whatever stage of the game.

Came on, no faffing about, got it down, played it forward or into spaces. That seemed to give the rest of team an idea of what needed to be done.

Just a shame he wouldn't be able to do it for 90 minutes now a days.

Devil may care

Did fine when he came on, tried to settle things down but the game had become 20 players in one half.

Sylar

Shame during his peak (after 08) we didnt have a midfield next to him. Also a shame his peak didnt co-incide with Pogbas peak. I think the two would compliment each other (along with Matic).

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Played well today? It's like people don't even bother watching when it comes to him. Played on top of Jones' toes and got robbed of the ball a few times. It's done. Completely done.

Eddy_JukeZ

I don't know what people were watching. The decision to bring him on was baffling and he was as ponderous as ever.

He's been a great player for us, but should be nowhere near games of that magnitude.

Acole9

Outstanding
Played well today? It's like people don't even bother watching when it comes to him. Played on top of Jones' toes and got robbed of the ball a few times. It's done. Completely done.
I don't know what people were watching. The decision to bring him on was baffling and he was as ponderous as ever.

He's been a great player for us, but should be nowhere near games of that magnitude.
I agree with both, was easily the poorest out of all the substitutions we made.

Canagel

I wish Carrick was 5 years younger. He is the last of a dying breed of top players left from the SAF era. Although he was off the pace slightly he played a lot of first time quick forward passes as usual and he increases the tempo of our passing massively despite being quite slow himself. He would do a better job than Smalling at CB I'm sure. Perhaps we should give him a run there?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I wish Carrick was 5 years younger. He is the last of a dying breed of top players left from the SAF era. Although he was off the pace slightly he played a lot of first time quick forward passes as usual and he increases the tempo of our passing massively despite being quite slow himself. He would do a better job than Smalling at CB I'm sure. Perhaps we should give him a run there?
You having a laugh mate? We have 4 fit centre backs, with our best one nearing recovery. If you don't think pace is a problem, Blind would probably be ahead of a Carrick-at-the-back experiment. He looks done. Was a top player.

Jonno

I've always been a big Carrick fan, and who knows, if we can keep him fit we could get him in to the side once a week. It would be like a new signing.

David_azul16

The next few matches will determinate if can play an important role for us until the end of the season... If he feels healthy and shows good form, can see Mourinho going with a Carrick-Matic midfield in Champions league games.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Just seen a quick highlights reel of his performance. He was brilliant. Quick and incisive passing as well as creating two chances. We have missed him so much this season. And will continue to do so until hes replaced.

Status
Not open for further replies.