Michael Carrick made vice-captain

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
This decision and subbing McNair shows how ruthless Van Gaal can be.

He loves Carrick. The injury he was most bummed about at the start of the year was Carrick's.

I hope Fletcher sticks around though. He's a great influence.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Makes sense to be fair.

Truth be told, Darren is quite some ways off being a first team regular, and if we acquire more talent in the upcoming windows, he'll be pegged further down the order. Ideally the vice-captain should play week in and week out at a consistently high level so that he can fill in as active captain if the first choice is injured, suspended or substituted out of matches. Carrick embodies that criteria perfectly. Additionally he's our 3rd longest tenured first team player after Fletcher and Rooney, is quietly cerebral so he can relay the system to the troops, is massively respected within the squad - the likes of Wayne and Robin speak in glowing terms of him and his calm calculated demeanor, is a model professional and offers a wise head which becomes even more important in terms of providing uniformity through a period of transition allied with the departures/ retirement of Scholes, Giggs, Neville, Rio, Vidic, Evra in the span of 2-3 seasons.

As for Fletcher, I don't want him to be sold or loaned or for him to ask for a transfer. Might be a romanticized notion but he's a United lad, has been for 15+ years, is an example both as a professional and as a human being, still has a lot to offer despite the waning fortunes as player and will be vitally important as a voice of reason in the dressing room. Darren has spoken numerous times of being a manager once he hangs up his football boots. So with that in mind, he should be elevated to a player/ coach in the vein of Ryan. Would be a real head-start for his potential managerial career at just age 31. He could fill in as and when required on the field but his influence would largely be felt off it. He's doing his coaches' training right now so it would be the ideal apprenticeship for him in terms of being mentored by one of the most forward thinking tactical brains of the modern era and helping out with the youth teams or scout opposition clubs. It's just the perfect opportunity foe him - when life gives you lemon, make lemonade.

waza7111

Fletcher was really impressive in pre-season but that was probably because the games were lower in intensity. This along with his experience was the reason he was made vice captain. But as the games have gotten more competitive and faster he has really struggled and hasn't played much as a result. It was always going to be difficult to come back from serious illness and reach the levels that he did before. It's a sensible decision to make Carrick vice captain because he is now likely to play most games and it's useful to have another leader on the pitch.

Flying_Heckfish

Pragmatic choice. Have to assume Rooney will get rested at times over Christmas (taken off early if not fully rested anyway). Makes sense to make Carrick official #2 as we know he will definitely play

Blue always red

Makes sense if Carrick is going to play more than Fletch. Surprised people think Fletch is going to be sold though. I'm sure we'd keep him just for the motivation and guidance he could give to young players who are struggling...

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Weirdly today in some other thread I said I felt that that Carrick would have probably have been made VC if he had been fit during the pre-season. I guess Van Gaal wasn't going to make a judgement on Carrick till he came back.

KeninDC

Rest in Peace
Another example of a manager in charge who is OK with making decisions. Of course we may not agree with all of them-but he doesn't seem fazed by making a call, whether it's shipping out Kagawa or Welbeck; dropping a player who appears to be a good option (Rafael) or pulling an underperforming player from a game (McNair).

Demoting Fletcher, in the grand scheme of things isn't an earth-shattering change, but it is consistent with LvG's pattern of making choices.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Van Gaal absolutely likes Carrick, I am glad to see that.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Makes sense if Carrick is going to play more than Fletch. Surprised people think Fletch is going to be sold though. I'm sure we'd keep him just for the motivation and guidance he could give to young players who are struggling...
Surely after so long out sick he won't be happy with that limited a role? If I was him I'd want to play a lot, even if it meant leaving United.....

Djemba-Djemba

This decision and subbing McNair shows how ruthless Van Gaal can be.

He loves Carrick. The injury he was most bummed about at the start of the year was Carrick's.

I hope Fletcher sticks around though. He's a great influence.
I get that sense too. He's pretty reluctant to dish out praise to individual players but you can just tell that he really rates Carrick. He seems the most Van Gaal type player though so it makes sense that Van Gaal would like him.

ChaddyP

Am I the only one that finds it strange that rvp isn't in the list of three. When Rooney was banned RvP was stand in captain. RvP was Van gaals Netherlands captain, but yet all three of these players are captain over him. It doesn't bother me that rvp isn't a vice captain , just found it interesting and worthy of discussion.

Sam

Am I the only one that finds it strange that rvp isn't in the list of three. When Rooney was banned RvP was stand in captain. RvP was Van gaals Netherlands captain, but yet all three of these players are captain over him. It doesn't bother me that rvp isn't a vice captain , just found it interesting and worthy of discussion.
iirc Van Gaal said something about preferring British captains for British teams.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Just stuck a tenner on Fletcher to Sunderland in Jan/the summer.
But not really.

ChaddyP

iirc Van Gaal said something about preferring British captains for British teams.

That is understandable but equally strange. If Rooney and Carrick aren't on the pitch but Ashley Young is ... Would he pic Ashley young to be captain :lol: .

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
That is understandable but equally strange. If Rooney and Carrick aren't on the pitch but Ashley Young is ... Would he pic Ashley young to be captain :lol: .
Think it was more just that when he said his justification about Rooney being captain, it was because he was here for so long. Don't think it's necessarily just being British, time spent at a club is probably one of the biggest factors.

Sam

I don't think its a set rule or anything, just a preference of Van Gaal's. Not sure if he was the same at his previous clubs.

McCool

Winner of the 'Real Caftards Fantasy Football Leag
Surely Fletcher isn't going anywhere. He's been at Utd all his professional life and he's been through it all with us. He's not what he used to be but who can blame him for that. He's given his all just to be where he is today and he's given it like a pro.

Maybe his top-level playing days are behind him now but he still has a lot to offer the club and we should be grateful for that.

Chorley1974

Lady Ole
I don't find it strange, horses for courses, shows LVG just does what he wants, which is a good thing IMO.

Walters_19_MuFc

Carrick is Van Gaal's type of player. I remember him talking about how his midfielders should be 'thinkers', referring to when he coached the likes of Guardiola, Xavi, etc. I certainly feel Carrick falls into this category. Think it's a great decision by Van Gaal.

Acole9

Outstanding
Not much of a surprise really. You could tell he was disappointed that he was injured for pre season, had that not have happened he may well have been announced as vice captain a lot earlier. Fletcher barely plays anyway and I think the club will allow him to seek regular football elsewhere in the summer.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
It was just a ceremonial role to begin with, surely?

A credit to his character as an example to follow, as well as leadership off the pitch...

Devil may care

Logical move from LvG, Carrick is ideal in terms of where he plays and how he plays, hopefully he becomes a little more vocal when needed. As for Fletcher, I'd rather he retired and went onto the coaching staff than be transferred.

GloryHunter07

Bit of a strange move midway through the season. :confused:

You can tell LVG absolutely loves Carrick though.
I dont think its that strange, Carrick couldnt earn it during the summer as he was injured. Has been vital player since he came back. Imagine what he wouldve been like with more top class CMs around him earlier in his career.

But yes, LVG loves him, and righty so.

KanieKaned

Good move I suppose as he is a senior player a certainly a name to be one of the first on the team sheet. We also need leaders on the pitch not that Carrick is a vocal person but ya know what I am getting at. Sad for fletch he's clearly fecked in terms of a future as a player unles he drops down a league maybe as I can't see him hacking premiership life on a weekly basis.

Woodzy

Good decision.

And with Fletcher it's a very strange situation. I don't think he will move on. There's a very strong bond between him and this club, and the fact he was made vice-captain in the first place emphasises that. I think he may call it a day at the end of the season though.

Ibi Dreams

I don't necessarily think Fletcher is finished as a player. He's got no place at United anymore but he's obviously been deemed fit to play and may feel like he has something to prove. He's still only 30, potentially he could be a good signing for a premiership team still.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
After everything Fletcher has gone through, you don't think he can handle being demoted in the captaincy hierarchy? Jeez, give the guy some credit. He's an intelligent man who loves the club. He would surely have seen that his role at the club and would appreciate that this is a logical move. He might well be off because of a lack of playing time, but this will have no bearing on it.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
LVG wll keep promoting players in front of him until he eventually makes Ando the 423rd vice captain and Fletch throws himself in front of a train.
:lol:

He's still only 30, potentially he could be a good signing for a premiership team still.
I can't see any Premiership team including Fletcher in their starting 11. He just isn't good enough. I can't help feel that he is now, effectively Man Utd's mascot, who makes a token 5 minute appearance, after the game is won.

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
LVG seems to love Carrick!

Cast your mind back to his first presser, he was going on about how Carrick being injured was a blow. This was before he'd even seen him play.
He also said it recently about Carrick's importance.

I don't know about anyone else but, as good a job Rooney has done as captain (and he has been great since the West Ham game) I always thought Carrick would have got it, if it weren't for the injury

Scrumpet

There are no words
Eulogies for Fletcher are a bit premature, you'd think Van Gaal had sent him off to a nice farm in the country.

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
Eulogies for Fletcher are a bit premature, you'd think Van Gaal had sent him off to a nice farm in the country.
Let's be honest.....He's finished!

Not his fault and I feel so sorry and bad for him.

He worked his arse off to get to where he was. Possibly the best example out there for any footballer.

ricky-romeo

not surprising as carrick will play much more than fletcher for sure. got to say fletcher has been poor this season too. still, nice from LVG to say fletcher is still 3rd. he could had ignore and did not mention fletcher at all. that would hurt much more i guess.

Scrumpet

There are no words
Let's be honest.....He's finished!

Not his fault and I feel so sorry and bad for him.

He worked his arse off to get to where he was. Possibly the best example out there for any footballer.
He's no more finished than he was yesterday. He'll keep coming off the bench like he's been doing since he came back.

Loublaze

ATLien
The only thing that prevented Carrick from being named vice captain was his injury. I was certain he was going to get it. Good decision.