Michael Carrick - Middlesbrough Manager

arthurka

If he can make a right winger out of Marcus Forss he must be a miracle worker.
Nothing even close to that has been seen since Jeebuz fed people with nothing more than a couple of un toasted pcs of bread and some water deluded Aldi Rose. Carrick is upping the miracle game to eleven.

Eric_the_Red99

Don’t really follow the Championship, but good to see teams that play attractive football, like Boro and Burnley, doing so well, as opposed to the hoof-ball merchants that too often win promotion.

Perhaps not a coincidence that both those teams have young managers, who played in good Premiership teams that played attractive football.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Bit naive at times against opponents who were clear favourites and simply superior in quality, tried to play pretty passing football against Brighton in the FA Cup and Burnley away and got beaten quite comfortably.

And yeah, he's still quite boring in press conferences, although his players have praised his calmness a lot. Questionable dress sense too with some Scott Parker-esque cardigans :lol:.
Cheers. Naive as in you'd prefer he play a more pragmatic game against those kind of sides or naive as in overestimating [his team] or being tactically irresponsible?

Hey, if he's successful enough, those cardi's will become a tribute!

philnguyen1994

Here's the highlights for Sheff Utd 1 - 3 Middlesbrough. Probably a contender for Championship game of the season.

Last edited:

whitbyviking

Middlesbrough's main flaw is they are open at the back, even against Blackpool they gave up chances. They're still only 12 games into a completely new style, which is a complete change from the days under Wilder. They also miss a few chances, but this isn't really on Carrick, and should probably be expected in the Championship.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
I usually scoff at ex players coming back to manage us but Carrick played it smart.

He stabilised us, left with his reputation intact and then got a biggish job where he's proving he's good once again. I would say that if he gets Boro promoted and then gets a job where he does well like Leicester or a Brighton, he could come back, if EtH decides he wants to try his hand at Barcelona in 5 or more years' time

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Looks like he knows what he's doing.

Hope he learns from his counterparts like Lampard/Gerrard and doesn't jump at any old offer from a bigger/higher-ranked club should it come.

If Boro are run well behind the scenes, stay there as long as possible - although a promotion could be a poisoned chalice for a manager at this stage in their career. But from a Boro perspective they finished 7th last season so of course they'll want that push for the play-offs as a minimum.

philnguyen1994

Important 3-1 home win over QPR. They're still 3rd but Sheffield Utd in 2nd lost earlier so the gap is down to 4 with Sheff Utd having a game in hand.

Boro were the clear favorites coming into this match so Carrick rotated and gave some squad players/ new signings starts. The first half was therefore quite disjointed as QPR did well to keep it tight and frustrate Boro. But Carrick kept faith in his squad players and didn't rush to make changes at HT. They came out in the second half, dominated and won quite comfortably in the end (Even QPR's goal was a freak freekick out of the blue from a distance where no-one was expecting even a shot). One of his new signings who he stuck with despite a dodgy first half even came up with an assist.

Last edited:

whitbyviking

Today seemed like a banana skin for them after Millwall took the points earlier.

By the way just watched the highlights of the Sheff utd game in this thread and the Sheff utd goal looked offside.

whitbyviking

What has he done to Chuba Akpom? The man is playing like he's possessed.
Not a clue, talking to most boro fans they never expected Akpom to be seen in a shirt again after being farmed out on loan. Think he’s the first major squad player they’ve had who’s not only come back from a loan but thrived.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Didn't realise until yesterday that they'd beaten Sheffield Utd in midweek. Leeds could do a lot worse than approach him. Be interesting to see how he copes in the Prem

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Currently 5-0 up against Reading. Could we finally have a SAF disciple that’s a good manager?

city-puma

Currently 5-0 up against Reading. Could we finally have a SAF disciple that’s a good manager?
Seems always bouncing back right away after a setback result! It’s not unrealistic anymore to target the automatic promotion. Happy for him!

Lee565

Could west ham target him if moyes gets the boot, he has middlesbrough punching above their weight whilst playing good attacking football and has history with west ham which would make fans get behind him?

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Could west ham target him if moyes gets the boot, he has middlesbrough punching above their weight whilst playing good attacking football and has history with west ham which would make fans get behind him?
My first thought is that that would make quite a lot of sense, but thinking about it more I don't see it happening. He's so early in his managerial journey and West Ham will likely be wanting a manager with experience of relegation battles. I also doubt he'll want to leave Middlesbrough so soon.

GlasgowCeltic

My first thought is that that would make quite a lot of sense, but thinking about it more I don't see it happening. He's so early in his managerial journey and West Ham will likely be wanting a manager with experience of relegation battles. I also doubt he'll want to leave Middlesbrough so soon.
the owners aren't that creative, and their pattern for picking coaches seems to be dinosaur, foreigner, dinosaur, foreigner, so they'll go two for one and get Rafa

3KDré

Some great football he's got them playing. From 22 to 3rd, only having dropped 10 points so far. Must be one of the best jobs I've seen anyone do in a long time.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
You love to see it.

I always liked Carrick, but I never thought that he was the football manager type. But that's the beauty of the game! There really is room for all personalities and styles. That is why football is the best sport and nothing else comes close.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
If he does that he won't make it as a manager in the PL long-term.

The West Ham job isn't quite Lampard at Chelsea but with the amount of players who will want out of there it's got toxic potential!

I think he'd be mad to consider leaving Boro. Geographically it's good for him, they seem a relatively stable club albeit with a modest budget, if they get promoted I can't see them going crazy in the market either which usually gives the manager some security (unless they get battered every week).

mav_9me

Some great football he's got them playing. From 22 to 3rd, only having dropped 10 points so far. Must be one of the best jobs I've seen anyone do in a long time.
So much of the credit for those goals should go to Carrick. He has clearly instilled the ethos of being brave on the ball and movement. Brilliant football.

Mas Risky

I have a theory that the reason so many former SAF players are terrible managers is because they were only exposed to the SAF way of coaching, which is hard to replicate because it requires a certain kind of personality.

Carrick is lucky. He had not only learned from SAF but also from Jose Mourinho and Louis van Gaal. His time with OGS was also beneficial because he experienced the ups and downs of managing a big club.

His career path in management is perfect for any former player to emulate.

The United

Both Carrick and Ole were students of the game when they were playing. Carrick learned the coaching stuff from some of the greatest managers of all time, including SAF, VG, and Jose while playing/working for them.

But, obviously, doing it for United and other clubs is not the same. It is like players in that sense. So I'm not surprised he's doing so well now somewhere else, and I'm not surprised he (and the other guy) didn't do so well at United as coaching staff. Even if they have another chance as managers, they may never do it at United.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Not just Ince, most of the ManUtd fans should be ashamed for all the slander against Carrick and Mckenna.
Yes, absolutely. Was ridiculous stuff at the time. And those of us that stood up for them were met with some real vitriol from the standard mouth frothing, knee jerk brigade.