Michael Keane

Sam

Very good on the ball, and he has excellent technique. I don't think he's there yet defensively though, not enough to be an option for us this season. Looked a level below Jones and Evans in that respect.

FromTheBench

What happened to him twice today happened to Hummels 3 times atleast in the WC final (Skinned for pace) along with another mistake. He is actually decently quick so probably used to matching people for Pace and didn't realize how Quick Bale's acceleration is.

Anyway, thought he was very good on the ball and off the ball today. Just struggled 1 vs 1 Bale couple of times and that's actually his weakness usually.

Edit - Bale has skinned Rio, Rafael, Smalling amongst others like that too in the past and worse.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Very good on the ball, and he has excellent technique. I don't think he's there yet defensively though, not enough to be an option for us this season. Looked a level below Jones and Evans in that respect.
Let's be fair, he won't be facing Gareth Bale every week and he has been brilliant throughout the rest of the tour defensively, he made a couple of mistakes but now is the time to make them, he will learn and show himself as an able back up I reckon this season.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
What happened to him twice today happened to Hummels 3 times atleast in the WC final (Skinned for pace) along with another mistake. He is actually decently quick so probably used to matching people for Pace and didn't realize how Quick Bale's acceleration is.
Well said, I agree. I watch Madrid a lot, and it’s amazing how often Bale acceleration (plus his strength) allows him to get in front of defenders. In that regard probably top 3 in the world.

kundalini

I thought that overall he looked good enough to play PL for us this season. Sure he got it horribly wrong for the pen, his positioning wasn't clever at all. Otherwise looked comfortable at this level.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I thought he played well...

He made some mistakes against Bale but I feel he will comeback stronger and more prepared when he faces players of that quality again. Definitely has potential for the first team.

westlife4ever

His passing ability really stands out. Almost on par with Evans. The long range pass to Young which led to the second goal was pure class.

Yes he was outpaced and outtricked by Bale a couple of times, but most centre halves would struggle when Bale runs at you. Certainly things to improve but I feel he's good enough to stay in our squad for the new season.

Aussie_Red_Devil

Would not be much surprised if some people will be saying Real's pen is not his fault. Ridiculous defending that was. Guy needs a loan to some relegation candidate, everything else is very much above his pay grade.
Lol what do you have against M Keane?

Aussie_Red_Devil

Apparently if Bale beats you, it makes you a worthless defender. Lane logic 101.
I see haha the premier league must be full of worthless defenders in Lane's eyes as Bale beat many defenders over the last few years lol.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Thought we missed a trick by not playing Phil Jones on the right side of the back 3 so he could be the one defending those Bale 1 on 1s. I believe he always excelled at that when Fergie used him against Spurs. Keane's lack of pace is a cause of concern though, I believe Blackett coped better with Ronaldo after he came on in 1 on 1s.

Sid234

Thought we missed a trick by not playing Phil Jones on the right side of the back 3 so he could be the one defending those Bale 1 on 1s. I believe he always excelled at that when Fergie used him against Spurs. Keane's lack of pace is a cause of concern though, I believe Blackett coped better with Ronaldo after he came on in 1 on 1s.
I think Blackett had the adcantage of a CR7 with hardly any pre-season training

FromTheBench

Keane is not slow at all actually. He's not very quick like a Jones but he doesn't lack pace that much either. (He is Evans level quick.)

Bale's acceleration is fecking rapid plus he's strong. He's done the same to Rio and Rafael in the past as i said above.

Last edited:

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Made a mistake by getting to close but Bale had him 1vs 1 and you'd fancy bale to come out on top. Defensively other then the ball over the top, we can be happy because we lost so much experience over the summer. We are maybe short a strong and quicker sweeper but because we've kept the ball well and worked hard, we've not given away too many chances

FromTheBench

Asked if the youngsters would be involved in the first team at the start of the season, van Gaal replied: “Not too early, because we have to see if they can fit in our team.

"You saw them play today and they can do the job but not for a lot of matches – they can do it for one match. Maybe when you give them more matches, their experience shall increase.

"But today the penalty was not so smart. He [Keane] has to learn from these errors. It’s the same for Tyler – he can also play at this level but can he play match after match? That is the question and I cannot answer that at the moment."

http://www.manutd.com/en/Tour-2014/...ders-have-adapted-to-new-system.aspx?pageNo=2

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I thought he did well, apart from the penalty where he got too close to Bale. He's composed on the ball and has good distribution.

The good thing about playing friendlies against top class teams is that mistakes like these are punished but without any serious consequences. He'll learn from this.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Surely we won't loan him out 'til we've signed at least one other centre-back? They'll be no decision tomorrow. I think we'll need two defenders should we loan Keane.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
Surely we won't loan him out 'til we've signed at least one other centre-back? They'll be no decision tomorrow. I think we'll need two defenders should we loan Keane.
Unless we've got one in the bag already... :drool:

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Yep, we surely have a defender set to sign.

Anyway, I'd rather loan Keane to a Premier League club, I think he's ready to test himself at that level.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
That would be an awful move. Even if we are signing a new CB and want to send him on loan no way should he be going to another Championship club. He has already had a number of successful loans and needs to be playing in the PL. Let them have Thorpe and either keep Keane or find a PL club to loan him too.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Not sure if he stands to gain all that much from a third season in the Championship.

FromTheBench

Give them Tom Thorpe surely ? He would be just as good probably for them and has something to gain from first team football at that level as well.

Would be a strange move loaning out Keane though. He has nothing to gain from a championship loan anymore + We are short on defenders as it is.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
Like all have said we shouldn't loan him out unless we've signed another CB and another Championship loan deal would be so stupid
I would rather loan him out then abroad
He's too good for the Championship

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Yeah we have to be pretty close to signing a defender to let him go.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Like all have said we shouldn't loan him out unless we've signed another CB and another Championship loan deal would be so stupid
I would rather loan him out then abroad
He's too good for the Championship
if it means he'll play most weeks i'd take the championship over being cover in the epl.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Yeah we have to be pretty close to signing a defender to let him go.
I like your positive thinking!

My negative thinking, is that from what I've seen he'll never be a player at this level, and we seem to loan players out for way longer than we should once we realise they won't make it.
Macheda the most obvious example in recent times.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
I like your positive thinking!

My negative thinking, is that from what I've seen he'll never be a player at this level, and we seem to loan players out for way longer than we should once we realise they won't make it.
Macheda the most obvious example in recent times.
It's not only up to the club. Macheda didn't want a permanent deal but wanted to stay at United. We had to wait until his contract expired before we could give him a free transfer.

Better to have him out on loan somewhere, therefore off the payroll and also freeing up a space for the next generation.

Nothing abnormal in this...

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
It's not only up to the club. Macheda didn't want a permanent deal but wanted to stay at United. We had to wait until his contract expired before we could give him a free transfer.

Better to have him out on loan somewhere, therefore off the payroll and also freeing up a space for the next generation.

Nothing abnormal in this...
Interesting. Explains a lot. Is it common for young players to want to stay at United even after realizing they have no long term future at the club?

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
Interesting. Explains a lot. Is it common for young players to want to stay at United even after realizing they have no long term future at the club?
Quite common...lots of players still believe they will get a chance so want to give it as much time as possible. Ferguson offered loads of lads one year extensions with an explanation that they wouldn't make it at United but would have a good career elsewhere.

Many lads leave...but quite a few stay on too.

But if a player is under contract and doesn't want to leave, or no-one is interested in them, then they have every right to stay and play. United aren't the type of club to force youngsters out.

Juan't Mata

If we loan Keane I'm guessing Blackett impressed more on tour and is currently our first reserve defender. To me he certainly made more of the chances he was given in America.

Devil may care

If we loan Keane I'm guessing Blackett impressed more on tour and is currently our first reserve defender. To me he certainly made more of the chances he was given in America.
He's also the only true left footed CB we have now which gives him an advantage.

surf

And Blackett is something like 15 months younger than Keane so he may have more potential for development and improvement.

FromTheBench

Blackburn fans sure want him back. Most Leicester fans as well.

Would be odd loaning him to a new club in championship again. Really hope it's not true.

Let's say he is successful at a third club in the championship, would this time next year he be any better in terms of getting into the first team?

Should loan him to a Prem club and he can compete with others there, if we are not keeping him. QPR ? Leicester ? Sunderland ? Hull ?

khoazany

I believe the Keane's rumour should be read as "Ole trying to secure a loan deal for M.Keane (and Lingard)" than the other way round (we want to loan him out).

A single pre-season tour doesn't make Blackett a better prospect than Keane.Who has watched them over the last few years will understand what I mean.Plus with the shortage of defenders there are certainly rooms for both.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Blackburn fans sure want him back. Most Leicester fans as well.

Would be odd loaning him to a new club in championship again. Really hope it's not true.

Let's say he is successful at a third club in the championship, would this time next year he be any better in terms of getting into the first team?

Should loan him to a Prem club and he can compete with others there, if we are not keeping him. QPR ? Leicester ? Sunderland ? Hull ?
From what I read on the Derby forums they loved him too. Thought he was better than their captain but well obviously the manager isn't going to bench their captain for a loan player so they even wanted to try him at DM. I am sure there are PL clubs who would take him so I hope we don't send him to the Championship again.

I believe the Keane's rumour should be read as "Ole trying to secure a loan deal for M.Keane (and Lingard)" than the other way round (we want to loan him out).

A single pre-season tour doesn't make Blackett a better prospect than Keane.Who has watched them over the last few years will understand what I mean.Plus with the shortage of defenders there are certainly rooms for both.
Yeah I think you are right there. Was reading some Cardiff forums and apparently Ole is in talks with Giggs to get some loans in. What I'm fearing is that since Ole and Giggs are good friends Giggs might try do him a favour and convince Keane to go there on loan which I don't think will be beneficial at all. Of course assuming van Gaal is bringing in a new defender and is open to allowing Keane to go on loan.

Also agree that Keane is the better prospect.