Michael Keane

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
I believe the Keane's rumour should be read as "Ole trying to secure a loan deal for M.Keane (and Lingard)" than the other way round (we want to loan him out).

A single pre-season tour doesn't make Blackett a better prospect than Keane.Who has watched them over the last few years will understand what I mean.Plus with the shortage of defenders there are certainly rooms for both.
Makes sense, we have to keep him as cover, surely.

Agree re: Keane v Blackett

mo0

we've got to remember Keane only made 20 apps, not all 90 minutes worth either, throughout the 2013/14 season. all said, i think a Championship loan wouldn't be the end of things. it's regular football, after all. it's just frustrating knowing (1) the talent he has (2) how much of a trainwreck Cardiff City is (c) U21 counterparts Andre Wisdom, John Stones, Eric Dier are all in the top flight.

Loublaze

ATLien
Im impressed. I think Blackett is way more composed and way more comfortable on the ball though.

FromTheBench

Lingard at RWB left him dealing with 2 on 1's yesterday as Lingard was all over the place defensively in that position when he first came on. (Cannot blame him either.)

He was then pulled out wide too much and Jones towards the right leaving space. Thought he did alright though and his first touch passing was particularly good

Im impressed. I think Blackett is way more composed and way more comfortable on the ball though.
Not sure about that all. Blackett is better at Carrying the ball but Keane probably has better vision.

footballgirl07

He has impressed me with every loan deal he has had in the championship. I would like to see him step up to a PL loan if LVG wants to loan him out. Watching Keane last couple of seasons, I rate him more highly than Blackett. Very talented and good on the ball.

Mickson

He has impressed me with every loan deal he has had in the championship. I would like to see him step up to a PL loan if LVG wants to loan him out. Watching Keane last couple of seasons, I rate him more highly than Blackett. Very talented and good on the ball.
I think he is clumsy. Gonna end up a pretty good footballer though, but not at United. A new Shawcross.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Bit of inexperience showing through at times but has otherwise looked very good, especially against Roma where he got unlucky with a penalty shout.

Mickson

Clumsy is literally the last thing he is. His strengths and weaknesses are the polar opposite of someone like Shawcross.
I didn't say he plays like Shawcross. I said he is gonna end up at Shawcross level, which isn't bad. As for not clumsy, two penalties given away so far in pre season. I think he looks clumsy when playing at a higher level (although he is good with the ball, good not great).

Loublaze

ATLien
Lingard at RWB left him dealing with 2 on 1's yesterday as Lingard was all over the place defensively in that position when he first came on. (Cannot blame him either.)

He was then pulled out wide too much and Jones towards the right leaving space. Thought he did alright though and his first touch passing was particularly good

Not sure about that all. Blackett is better at Carrying the ball but Keane probably has better vision.
If vision is the ability to read the game and consitently pick out and found your teammates with probbing balls, good distribution etc, then Blackett had Keane beat in that respect as well during this preseason. His last two games have been impeccable.

FromTheBench

If vision is the ability to read the game and consitently pick out and found your teammates with probbing balls, good distribution etc, then Blackett had Keane beat in that respect as well during this preseason. His last two games have been impeccable.
Disagree. See the Videos of Keane posted in this thread even. That cross field ball to Young for his 2nd goal vs Real being a highlight.

Blackett has been good as well but he takes his time and extra touch more while Keane seems to have better awareness of the first time pass. (Blackett tried hurrying the pass couple of times yesterday and got caught out a bit.)

Anyway, both have been good overall and arguably our best 2 defenders distribution wise.

Loublaze

ATLien
Disagree. See the Videos of Keane posted in this thread even. That cross field ball to Young for his 2nd goal vs Real being a highlight.

Blackett has been good as well but he takes his time and extra touch more while Keane seems to have better awareness of the first time pass. (Blackett tried hurrying the pass couple of times yesterday and got caught out a bit.)

Anyway, both have been good overall and arguably our best 2 defenders distribution wise.
I totally disagree with this and even your slight criticism of him is clutching at straws. Blackett taking an extra touch or two is not a black mark on him. He's shown the composure to take a few touches and make the right decision going forward. His passing and carrying of the ball has been superior to that of the other defenders. His one on one marking has been superior as well, he has high concentration levels. Keane has been impressive but Blackett has almost been flawless especially his last two games. Keane showed his inexperience with the two penalties he conceded while Blackett replaced Evans against Liverpool and brought calm to the United defence

FromTheBench

I totally disagree with this and even your slight criticism of him is clutching at straws. Blackett taking an extra touch or two is not a black mark on him. He's shown the composure to take a few touches and make the right decision going forward. His passing and carrying of the ball has been superior to that of the other defenders. His one on one marking has been superior as well, he has high concentration levels. Keane has been impressive but Blackett has almost been flawless especially his last two games. Keane showed his inexperience with the two penalties he conceded while Blackett replaced Evans against Liverpool and brought calm to the United defence
Not sure what 2 Penalties conceded has to do with anything while debating a completely unrelated point about their passing abilities.

First one wasn't a Penalty either. And if we are talking errors then Blackett clearly was bailed out by Smalling's great tackle after being caught out yesterday first half on one occasion and looked really really bad first half vs Roma getting caught out by Destro time and again off simple balls over the top. Just because they didn't lead to goals doesn't make them more ignorable though both are Young and some mistakes will be there.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Keane showed his inexperience with the two penalties he conceded while Blackett replaced Evans against Liverpool and brought calm to the United defence
How did the Roma penalty show inexperience? He had the ball kicked at him from like a foot away and it hit his arm. That can happen to anyone and has happened to the best and most experienced of defenders.

Gopher Brown

Watching him last night it seems that he's a bit slow, particularly compared to someone like Phil Jones. I've seen a number of posts here saying how clumsy he is, and the way he brought down Bale the other day (yes, I know it was against a top quality winger), suggests his clumsiness is due to lack of speed.

Is he quick but lacking fitness at the moment, or does he lack pace?

Loublaze

ATLien
Watching him last night it seems that he's a bit slow, particularly compared to someone like Phil Jones. I've seen a number of posts here saying how clumsy he is, and the way he brought down Bale the other day (yes, I know it was against a top quality winger), suggests his clumsiness is due to lack of speed.

Is he quick but lacking fitness at the moment, or does he lack pace?
He's not a speed merchant by any means, even at full fitness. He's average in that area.

FromTheBench

Did well today after the initial one error first few minutes of 2nd half.

His pass first time well weighted to Van Persie set up that counter which lead to the 2 penalty incidents. Him and Valencia had better co ordination than Jones and Valencia.

footballgirl07

Agreed. Didn't think he would crumble but some youngsters do after an early error on debut. Was good in the air as well. Hopefully he gets a start v MK Dons in the week.

kundalini

I thought he did well overall. Pleased for him. Good to get mins early in the season. Needs to be careful with his challenges around our box. On one angle I thought the Sunderland player had fooled the ref then from another angle you could see Keane pulling his arm.

FromTheBench

I thought he did well overall. Needs to be careful with his challenges around our box. On one angle I thought the Sunderland player had fooled the ref then from another angle you could see Keane pulling his arm.
He won the first challenge and the ball went towards Januzaj and Adnan just avoided the challenge and the ball went back to Sunderland 2nd player and then Keane out of position just panicked a bit. Not the worse of decisions giving a foul there if you do not know what is behind in that situation.

Sid234

Expecting to see him, Thorpe and Blackett at the back vs MK Dons.. Should be interesting

khoazany

I doubt Blackett will play (like anyone of the Starting XI today)

I reckon M.Keane - Evans - Rojo
Don't spoil the fun.I want a back 3 of academy products :nono:

Seriously though with Smalling injured we should save either Evans or Rojo for Burnley so Thorpe should be there.It's MK Dons and Thorpe already had Championship experience.

JSMHE

I thought he did well today. A bit clumsy with a missed header early when he came on. But after that he is bossing it and looks calm. Got his chance and he took it. Well done.

FromTheBench

Don't spoil the fun.I want a back 3 of academy products :nono:

Seriously though with Smalling injured we should save either Evans or Rojo for Burnley so Thorpe should be there.It's MK Dons and Thorpe already had Championship experience.
Yeah and Thorpe deserves his chance now. Been good at every age level for us and Was comfortably better than Blackett even when both were on loan to Birmingham after his injury.

Sid234

If LvG wants to keep Blackett safe too, could we see Keane, Thorpe and McNair at the back? Or will Vermijl play as the LCB instead of McNair?

FromTheBench

If LvG wants to keep Blackett safe too, could we see Keane, Thorpe and McNair at the back? Or will Vermijl play as the LCB instead of McNair?
If Evans is back fit as he has been training for 2 days now i think he will play.

LR7

He was one of my picks from last season to get some first team chances this season. It's mostly down to injury but I'm happy anyway. I thought he did really well. No drop of in quality between him and Smalling yesterday and without risking sounding knee-jerk (I'm not, I've watched him a lot), I think his potential is higher. Hope he starts next to Evans in tomorrow.

FromTheBench

He made 5 out of 6 long balls from the back as per Opta. His composure on the ball and passing ability is nice addition to have.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
At least we are giving youth a real chance again. That was also one of my big concerns with Moyes that it was an ABSOLUTELY wasted year. If we had finished 7th but our youth players had been a year more experienced, then it would have at least been some kind of transition. But that way it was not a year in transition, but a completely wasted year in United's history!

kundalini

Oh dear! After a decent display against Sunderland, he turns in an absolute shocker against MK Dons. Hope he can get that performance out of his system within the next few days.

nemanja15

Not good enough, and that's no knee-jerk; I've never really rated him ranging right through from the last few pre-seasons, his Reserves appearances and the odd first-team one. I think he needs to move on.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
He is not good enough, end of

Loublaze

ATLien
Not good enough, and that's no knee-jerk; I've never really rated him ranging right through from the last few pre-seasons, his Reserves appearances and the odd first-team one. I think he needs to move on.
I remember he was responsible for us losing late goals against Chelsea in the league cup a few seasons ago when we were coasting to a win in the final minutes of the game