Michael Keane

Champagne Football

His transition from potential into Everton leader and defensive rock in the last 6 months has been very impressive.

Everton have not conceded a league goal in 6 of their last 8 games and during this run have kept clean sheets in wins over Arsenal, Chelsea, West Ham, Manchester United and in their draw against Liverpool.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
But he also looked limited for 2 seasons.

IMO Axel looks far more assured of the two and I’d like to see him integrated

Robbie Boy

We should just buy all the bang average players because they’re British innit.

Bojan11

Ffs should we buy zouma too. Put him in attack minded team and he’d struggle. He is best suited playing for underdogs. He can’t defend one vs one and is no better than what we got.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
For the most part he's struggled at Everton imo but almost out of nowhere they've hit really good form in last 6 weeks. Zouma and Pickford both got back to good form which has helped and Coleman and Digne also very good FBs so he's part of a solid unit.

He's a defender who's better in a low block surely? Had that at Burnley and he was excellent. Less so in more open system at Everton.

It reminds me of that Ben Gibson guy who was getting linked to some big clubs 18 months ago and I didn't really see the fuss, now he's actually on Burnley's bench.

Green_Red

He has done well this season, but he has a long way to go to be considered as anything other than a backup squad player for United. He isn't first team material.

Based Adnan

This place has gone mental. The standards have fallen massively on what players are now deemed good enough.
It's not only this place. And you can't be surprised at standards falling when Jones, Smalling and Young have managed to forge themselves 9/10 year careers at this club.

Champagne Football

I don't think he's much worse than Harry Maguire tbh who went from laughing stock on here a few seasons ago to everyone's muppet fantasy when his worth became £80 million.
Of course we should be aiming higher. I hope the club can find a CB gem but there doesn't seem to be too many around unless it's ridiculous cash.

In Rainbows

But he also looked limited for 2 seasons.

IMO Axel looks far more assured of the two and I’d like to see him integrated
Yep. Axel is a superior prospect in everyway.

I always had problems with Keane while he was with us as he had too many mistakes in him. I rated Tom Thorpe more, but look at how that turned out. Keane always had the CB build while Thorpe had more of a RB build. I felt Thorpe was more of a leader as well.

But as for prospects, it's clear Tuanzebe is our best since the Pique/Evans crop. Doesn't mean he'll turn out as successful as Keane though.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Yep. Axel is a superior prospect in everyway.

I always had problems with Keane while he was with us as he had too many mistakes in him. I rated Tom Thorpe more, but look at how that turned out. Keane always had the CB build while Thorpe had more of a RB build. I felt Thorpe was more of a leader as well.

But as for prospects, it's clear Tuanzebe is our best since the Pique/Evans crop. Doesn't mean he'll turn out as successful as Keane though.
No you're right, no guarantee. But we'll end up like Chelsea if we don't give some kids a chance now.

Axel has had a good season in the Championship and who knows, they may even come up. I certainly think he has to go on the pre season tour

Robbie Boy

I don't think he's much worse than Harry Maguire tbh who went from laughing stock on here a few seasons ago to everyone's muppet fantasy when his worth became £80 million.
Of course we should be aiming higher. I hope the club can find a CB gem but there doesn't seem to be too many around unless it's ridiculous cash.
Harry Maguire is a laughing stock. Again, anyone that actually wants to sign him needs their head checked. Standards eh...

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
He's been really good for most of this season, hitting the Burnley form which got everyone raving about him. I'll forgive him for last season as the whole team was absolute shite. He's good enough to be in the squad of a CL team right now, don't know about starting however. Do know he isn't the player you need right now.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He's been really good for most of this season, hitting the Burnley form which got everyone raving about him. I'll forgive him for last season as the whole team was absolute shite. He's good enough to be in the squad of a CL team right now, don't know about starting however. Do know he isn't the player you need right now.
I’d take Digne though. Looks the part.

bucky

Who do you like more, Zouma or Keane?

Robbie Boy

If it wasn't for Robertson he'd be the undisputed best LB in the league this season, he's fantastic.
Better player than Robinson, for me. If both swapped clubs Digne would be the undisputed best LB in the league. I would take him at United in a heartbeat.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Who do you like more, Zouma or Keane?
Keane is a more mature defender than Zouma currently, but they’ve formed a very good partnership that will be difficult for Mina to break into if we managed to hold onto Kurt. I would prioritise Gomes though over the two loanees.

Ekeke

Lukaku won 10 headers against Everton. Smalling lost 1 header at the long throw in and gets crucified. The grass isnt always greener. Keane is okay same with Zouma. Thats it

Champagne Football

Lukaku won 10 headers against Everton. Smalling lost 1 header at the long throw in and gets crucified. The grass isnt always greener. Keane is okay same with Zouma. Thats it
Callum Paterson for Cardiff has the highest aerial duels won for a defender yet Cardiff have the 3rd worst defensive record in the PL, so stats can be misleading.

Jibbs

He is a much improved CB now, his cieling is just as high as Harry Maguire or John Stones.

Robbie Boy

I would do a swap for silly billy Philly Jones and have Keane as a squaddie. Come on Everton you know it makes perfect sense. Oh and I would rather Keane than Maguire, dear lord anyone but Maguire. I even think Smalling is better and he’s a-bit shit really.

Ekeke

Callum Paterson for Cardiff has the highest aerial duels won for a defender yet Cardiff have the 3rd worst defensive record in the PL, so stats can be misleading.
They can in the short term like with Keane. Lukaku had one of his most successful matches in the air against him, but Keane in general competes for more aerial duels than any of the CBs at the top 6 teams - of which Smalling is the most, but Keane is higher.

But like I said people were all over Smalling for not winning the header from the long throw so not winning every single header here is going to cause backlash. And against us he came nowhere close to winning them all.

Also Paterson has played 14 games as a striker, 3 RM and 2 RB. 0 CB. So I think you've confused him for someone else. He has nothing to do with a defensive record

Robbie Boy

To be fair, the bar is set pretty low with what we already have.
Absolutely, which is why we have to massively upgrade and not go like-for-like. Buying meh players and persisting with them is part of the reason we are what we are today.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Ignore him, he’s a stat poster. Probably agrees with the Mustafi > Van Dijk stat bollocks.