Michael Knighton preparing a hostile bid to remove the Glazers

Ema_datsi

While Jim Ratcliffe appears to be a better option than the Glazers, shady dictatorships and Knighton, his tenure at OGC Nice isn’t very promising.

Amid accusations of sportswashing (he made his money in petrochemicals), he bought the club in 2019 and made the usual noises about making it a top 4 French club. Fast forward 3 years and 4 managers later and the highest they reached was 5th (last season), which was pretty much where they were (6th) when he bought them. Does any1 have any insight into the money and transfers he put in after the purchase?

Given the ransom that the Glazers will demand, the size of the debt, and the renovation work at OT, it’s hard to see a shrewd businessman like Ratcliffe becoming our sugar daddy. Then again, maybe he can put together a consortium to buy out these Glazer scumbags, and not take out dividends for 10 years.

Reactions: Sultan

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
he didn't have the money last time - I doubt he has it this time

stevoc

I'd prefer Michael Knight from Knight Rider to launch a takeover bid. That would be no less of a fantasy than this nonsense.

JoaquinJoaquin

Michael is a complete clown. He owned my local team Carlisle United and was a terrible owner. Would not want him here at all.

ROFLUTION

Good news fellas. Big day.

I’ve been in contact with Knighton and he agreed to sell me the naming rights to Old Trafford. For just 20 quid he’ll rename it “Wanka Metropolitano”

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Breaking News: Michael Knighton to change Manchester United's walkout music. Goodbye Stone Roses...

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
Anyone see the minor drama on a recent Paddock vid? They did a live video discussing this and the lad who interviewed Knighton got in the comments saying the Paddock lads didn't know what they were talking about (they were calling bs on him and his offer). Knighton then tweeted while the video was on with a tweet that suggested he was watching it himself which prompted the Paddock lads to respond live on their video.

Can't really timestamp it because their back and forth with the lad who interviewed Knighton on the MUFC Religion channel happens on and off throughout.

Video:

Knighton's tweet:

If all of the above sounds boring and petty and you're not arsed, the outcome was that Knighton rang Howson personally, initially threatened to sue him and then said he'll come on the Stretford Paddock channel on Monday (according to Howson's version of events)

Red the Bear

Something less generic
From what I remember he is a bit of a fraud, nothing will come out of this, if the Saudi's couldn't get them to sell off i severely doubt con artist is going to change their mind.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Anyone see the minor drama on a recent Paddock vid? They did a live video discussing this and the lad who interviewed Knighton got in the comments saying the Paddock lads didn't know what they were talking about (they were calling bs on him and his offer). Knighton then tweeted while the video was on with a tweet that suggested he was watching it himself which prompted the Paddock lads to respond live on their video.

Can't really timestamp it because their back and forth with the lad who interviewed Knighton on the MUFC Religion channel happens on and off throughout.

Video:

Knighton's tweet:

If all of the above sounds boring and petty and you're not arsed, the outcome was that Knighton rang Howson personally, initially threatened to sue him and then said he'll come on the Stretford Paddock channel on Monday (according to Howson's version of events)
He's an actual lunatic. :lol: He's threatening to sue anybody that points out the facts that he once bankrupted a club and is a well known conman.

Fair play to him though, he's getting a lot of media attention because of our gullible fanbase. Giving interviews to a United fan channel in a spare bedroom and we have fans buying into it and believing that he actually has the clout to put a serious consortium together.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Only an idiot would say publicly that he's going to "make a hostile bid". More chance of Mciahel Goodman owning United than this clown.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
From what I remember he is a bit of a fraud
He's an attention seeking twat.

And he doesn't have enough money (obviously), nor can he generate enough money, nor does he know anyone who has or can generate enough money, to pull off a hostile takeover of Manchester United.

He's an old man who should know better than to willingly offer himself up as a pathetic online joke/meme.

clarkydaz

Knighton has done an interview with United stand. Says has the money to bid, but not to upkeep it with team/stadium. The plan is to buy it off the Glazers then sell it to who they choose ( Jim Ratcliffe)

MoskvaRed

Absolute joker. He may have had a point in 89 (despite the keepy ups) that football was undervalued but he has long since shown himself to be a clown. The fact that he has the nerve to mention a takeover sums up where United are in 2022.

Last edited:

.Phil1968

I remember this prick. I was on the Stretford end that day in 89 when he came on juggling his balls. There was talk the previous few days that the guy who owned Celtic I think it was, was ready to buy us then this knob showed up.
He had no money then and I'll bet he hasn't much more now. If a multi billionaire was ready to buy us why on earth would they get this grifter involved.

Brophs

The One and Only
Knighton has done an interview with United stand. Says has the money to bid, but not to upkeep it with team/stadium. The plan is to buy it off the Glazers then sell it to who they choose ( Jim Ratcliffe)

Nothing says serious bidder like doing an interview with Goldbridge.

MoskvaRed

I remember this prick. I was on the Stretford end that day in 89 when he came on juggling his balls. There was talk the previous few days that the guy who owned Celtic I think it was, was ready to buy us then this knob showed up.
He had no money then and I'll bet he hasn't much more now. If a multi billionaire was ready to buy us why on earth would they get this grifter involved.
I was there too. We thrashed Arsenal and Neil Webb scored a great volley. The days of optimism….Knighton was a dick then and even more so 33 years later.

Gandalf

Only an idiot would say publicly that he's going to "make a hostile bid". More chance of Mciahel Goodman owning United than this clown.
Simon Jordan said it best and I rarely agree with much he says but he stated that whenever people go running to the media talking about how they are going to buy this club or that club they are invariably clowns, serious bidders work in silence and the first you hear of it is when a deal is almost done.

red thru&thru

He keeps saying his bid will get rejected. And he (his consortium) doesn't have much more to give. This is where he hope Ratcliffe comes into the fold.

I genuinely believe that if Ratcliffe puts his hat into the ring, the fans will put even more pressure to sell to Ratcliffe.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
He keeps saying his bid will get rejected. And he (his consortium) doesn't have much more to give. This is where he hope Ratcliffe comes into the fold.

I genuinely believe that if Ratcliffe puts his hat into the ring, the fans will put even more pressure to sell to Ratcliffe.
I’ve thought ever since the Chelsea thing that Ratcliffe will bid at some point. That got his name out there that he wants to bid for a PL club - he bid after the deadline and when everything was agreed so it didn’t really make sense as a serious bid. There’s a Times article today all about how he could bring us back to greatness - If we can get some Ratcliffe chants going and really appeal to his undoubtedly massive ego we may have a chance here.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
At this point, at least he's keeping the convo alive. If it ends up drumbing up interest, great. If not, at least he tried.

I was there too. We thrashed Arsenal and Neil Webb scored a great volley. The days of optimism….Knighton was a dick then and even more so 33 years later.
Just like it wasn't known the Saudis were looking to buy Newcastle for the best part of a year. Some of you really talk a lot of shit.

.Phil1968

So full of optimism, beat the reigning Champions 4-1 you're right Webbs goal was a belter, looked like we had the coolest owner in the league and the ground was bouncing.
Then we found out Knighton had less money than us, Webb got a serious injury whilst playing for England and we ended up in a relegation battle.
Did win the cup though.

croadyman

I’ve thought ever since the Chelsea thing that Ratcliffe will bid at some point. That got his name out there that he wants to bid for a PL club - he bid after the deadline and when everything was agreed so it didn’t really make sense as a serious bid. There’s a Times article today all about how he could bring us back to greatness - If we can get some Ratcliffe chants going and really appeal to his undoubtedly massive ego we may have a chance here.
Will only bid if by some absolute miracle they are actually willing to sell which looks highly doubtful

Spoony

The People's President
He ended buying Carlisle United didn't he? I'm about to put in a hostile bid but I'm waiting for JimBob to show me the money first.

Woodzy

If this instantly doesn’t scream red flag then I don’t know what does.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
This guy is a grifter. United fans need to leave the emotions aside and don't get involved in any of his dodgy schemes! Ridiculous. This ain't someone we want to own the club. Absolute madness.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
He's an attention-seeking grifter and he doesn't have the money. End of story.

ATXRedDevil

What does this mean caf financial experts? :nervous:
Call options are a bet that a stock will go up in price. Each option entitles the owner to purchase 100 shares at the strike price (here that’s $14/share) by a certain date (here that’s end of day on 9/16). This person (assuming it’s one buyer) paid 35 cent/share (so $35/option) for the right to purchase 100 shares for each option contract from the seller of the contract for $14/share.

Thus, the buyer of the contract believes that before end of day on 9/16, the shares will be trading above $14.35. If the market price is $15, for example, they can exercise all the contracts and turn around and sell the shares they paid $14.35 for at $15/share for $0.65/share profit. If the stock doesn’t go above $14 and the contracts expire worthless, the option buyer is out 35cents/share or $35/option, which the seller keeps, but has no obligation to buy the shares underlying the options.

United report earnings on 9/16, so this person is effectively betting that leading up to or immediately following earnings, United’s share price will increase. So they think we’ll report better earnings than walk street expects. Given the timing of the expiration, these calls are 100% a play on earnings and nothing to do with potential takeover bids.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Who is he? Can someone give me a quick summary? Would this be a good thing?
Ahh no. He’s a spoofer. He tried to buy United previously and turned out he didn’t have the money. Then he bought Carlisle and they went into administration. Then he said he got abducted by aliens. He’s a nut bag

kps88

If Ratcliffe ever becomes interested, the first thing he’d do is make sure this guy isn’t anywhere near things.

TheReligion

Abusive
Surprised this hasn’t been bumped today.

Knighton has just been on the news saying it’s a consortium looking at removing the Glazers. So not just him. He wouldn’t reveal who is involved but says it would be clear if they get positive engagement with the Glazers.

The news report stated that Jim Ratcliffe is meant to be part of this consortium.

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
Call options are a bet that a stock will go up in price. Each option entitles the owner to purchase 100 shares at the strike price (here that’s $14/share) by a certain date (here that’s end of day on 9/16). This person (assuming it’s one buyer) paid 35 cent/share (so $35/option) for the right to purchase 100 shares for each option contract from the seller of the contract for $14/share.

Thus, the buyer of the contract believes that before end of day on 9/16, the shares will be trading above $14.35. If the market price is $15, for example, they can exercise all the contracts and turn around and sell the shares they paid $14.35 for at $15/share for $0.65/share profit. If the stock doesn’t go above $14 and the contracts expire worthless, the option buyer is out 35cents/share or $35/option, which the seller keeps, but has no obligation to buy the shares underlying the options.

United report earnings on 9/16, so this person is effectively betting that leading up to or immediately following earnings, United’s share price will increase. So they think we’ll report better earnings than walk street expects. Given the timing of the expiration, these calls are 100% a play on earnings and nothing to do with potential takeover bids.
Thank tou