Michael Oliver

stubie

Looked out of his depth I thought, awful game, very card happy

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
He was a joke.

The only decision he got right was to give Valencia a redcard.

Irwinwastheking

Gimpier than Alex and Feeky
Let Hull away with so many cynical challenges stopping out momentum and then booked our players for the same. Was really poor in the second half and our players lost a bit of discipline as a result.

Justin

Always thought he's an average ref hyped by his age. Not helped by the blind lino either.

lysglimt

Scout
It was the linesman who got all the major decisions wrong - not Oliver!

Speaking of horrible decisions...the shirt-pulling Skrtel had on Kompany on every single corner....how can referees not spot something like that. Kompany did also pull Skrtel's shirt but that was always after having his shirt pulled first

NinjaFletch

I genuinely think he's one of the worst going.

He's incredibly inconsistent and I've never ever thought he ever has control of a game, saying that thanks to him Valencia's not going to get a game against Norwich, so I guess I'll let him off.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
He kept changing his mind completely about what did and didn't constitute a yellow card.

He let Rooney get away with a blatant petulant kick, then someone cynically tried to bring Welbeck down, failed so hacked him down again. Still no yellow...Then he booked a Hull player for something not even half as bad about a minute later. I thought "fine, so he's saying enough is enough"...but then he let some more cynical fouls go and booked another player for something nowhere near as bad.

He booked ROoney for backchat only a few minutes after Livermore got nothing for yelling in his face.

By the end of the game I didn't have a clue what was going on. I wasn't convinced he understood the rules. I thought the sending off, though Valencia's fault more than anyone's was a byproduct of players getting frustrated by his random inconsistency.

NinjaFletch

He kept changing his mind completely about what did and didn't constitute a yellow card.

He let Rooney get away with a blatant petulant kick, then someone cynically tried to bring Welbeck down, failed so hacked him down again. Still no yellow...Then he booked a Hull player for something not even half as bad about a minute later. I thought "fine, so he's saying enough is enough"...but then he let some more cynical fouls go and booked another player for something nowhere near as bad.

He booked ROoney for backchat only a few minutes after Livermore got nothing for yelling in his face.

By the end of the game I didn't have a clue what was going on. I wasn't convinced he understood the rules. I thought the sending off, though Valencia's fault more than anyone's was a byproduct of players getting frustrated by his random inconsistency.

Similarly he let Rooney off for absolutely laying into him at the end of the game. I appreciate he doesn't want to look precious by sending Rooney off for two bookings for abuse, but he definitely booked Rooney for the lesser of the two verbal volleys.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Problem is you lose credibility with the players when you keep changing how you're applying the rules during the course of the game. There were a number of players who commited worse offences than Valencia during the course of the game. A lot of the players were getting worked up, but it was mainly at him rather than it being an ill tempered game.

When you think of the offences Rooney commited during the game, compared to Valencia, it seems a bit mental that the later was the one who ended up sent off.

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
Problem is you lose credibility with the players when you keep changing how you're applying the rules during the course of the game. There were a number of players who commited worse offences than Valencia during the course of the game. A lot of the players were getting worked up, but it was mainly at him rather than it being an ill tempered game.

When you think of the offences Rooney commited during the game, compared to Valencia, it seems a bit mental that the later was the one who ended up sent off.
Inconsistency is the worst and most annoying trait about a ref's performance for a player. It's frustrating as hell to see someone on your team get booked for something the ref let slide two minutes earlier the other way.

He made it fecking difficult for himself by giving a soft free-kick against Valencia after, for instance, letting Davis off for blatantly fouling Januzaj on the edge of the area, earlier. Stuff like that irritates the players.

Also, it's never a good sign when both sets of players spend the last 20 minutes of a match being absolutely livid with the ref.

I also find it incredibly annoying that he looks like some 12 year-old school boy.

Bojan11

Valencia was always on a tightrope. How many fouls did he commit before his first yellow. Not saying the ref did a great job. But that was just a typical performance from a premier league referee.

RedRover

Inconsistency is the worst and most annoying trait about a ref's performance for a player. It's frustrating as hell to see someone on your team get booked for something the ref let slide two minutes earlier the other way.

He made it fecking difficult for himself by giving a soft free-kick against Valencia after, for instance, letting Davis off for blatantly fouling Januzaj on the edge of the area, earlier. Stuff like that irritates the players.

Also, it's never a good sign when both sets of players spend the last 20 minutes of a match being absolutely livid with the ref.

I also find it incredibly annoying that he looks like some 12 year-old school boy.
Ref's get a lot of stick but are given little help. They do a tough job - not helped by managers mouthing off everytime the ref makes a mistake and players who are constantly cheating, diving and trying to con a free kick, penalty or get an opposition player booked.

They are also not supported properly by the rules and regulations in that they cant explain decisions or apologise when they make a mistake.

Inconsistency is frustrating - but the referee has to manage the game. In Rugby, as an example, you get little backchat because you get an immediate card and a long ban (see Dylan Hartley as an example) - whereas in football such abuse is common and seemingly not punished by the FA.

The ref should be able to send players off immediately, or give a penalty everytime someone pulls a shirt in the box - but if he did so and actually applied the rules properly there would be uproar.

Fact is pro football is played at a million miles an hour by elite athletes - and managing the game you have one ex teacher from runcorn, 20 years older than most of the players and half as fit. Players cheat, fans boo anything that goes the opposition way (despite being sat miles away) and the press criticise every wrong move. Not a job I'd like.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Rooney just seems to have his own personal set of FA rules. He could have had about 6 yellow cards yesterday, and he got one...for something about five other players got away with despite doing pretty much exactly the same thing.

But then sometimes he'll do something worthy of a yellow card, or which isn't even against the rules and has never resultd in a player being punished before, and end up being given a ban for it. e.g. swearing, getting wrongly sent off in a pre-season friendly, throwing the ball back to someone to take a free kick, etc.

It's a two way thing for me. Officials aren't given enough help, but they also don't help themselves with inconsistency, not bothering to explain any of their decisions, and with the rules seeming to change from game to game or depending on which player is involved. Also poor referees arent removed from taking charge of important games because when they make mistakes, the solution is always to re-invent what actually happened and pretend they were right.

England international players all seem to have some kind of special leeway aswell, which is irritating. Remember when Gerrard got someone sent off by telling the referee to send them off when he wasn't going to?

izec

No yellow for Zabaleta, no yellow for Jovetic after getting warned, no freekick before the red from Smalling where Yaya played the ball with his hand, no penalty for Aguero. Thought he was one of the better referees.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
No yellow for Zabaleta, no yellow for Jovetic after getting warned, no freekick before the red from Smalling where Yaya played the ball with his hand, no penalty for Aguero. Thought he was one of the better referees.
He's always been the lowest rated ref in my books.

Kostur

海尔的老板
He's fecking shite today but mostly in our favour so far in.

May it last for the another 45 minutes :nervous:

Count Orduck

I was so confused by the first few posts :lol:

"Wait, what, did I miss Valencia being sent off too?!"

Woodzy

We are lucky he is all over the place. We could be about 2 - 0 down and have 9 men.

Acole9

Outstanding
He should never be allowed a big match again. He booked Blind and failed to book Zabaleta.

binary bot
Since when did yellow cards become a random process?

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
The penalties and inconsistency in yellows show how incompetent he has been and usually is.

Kag

I usually rate Oliver but he's had a nightmare so far.

It's alright trying to let things go but when you ignore blatant yellow cards - see Clichy on Januzaj - you put yourself in a predicament when you suddenly decide to start giving them after the first 15. Amateur stuff.

Kostur

海尔的老板
what? aguero the only possible decision in our favour so far.
Aguero and Toure both could ( should ? ) have been penalties.

If he was a dick he could've sent Blind off for kicking the ball away at some point, I think that was the moment when Hart headbutted him.

He's a fecking pussy.