Michael Oliver

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
They are not arguing the first one because the second one was not deemed punishable. If it was, they would have to include the first one, and award Liverpool a fk.
But that second argument is clearly nonsense since TAA's 25 feet away, looking directly at it and moving his arm towards the ball. If they're adjudicating on the basis of that alone then it's a terrible decision.

Also, if MOTD reporting is to be believed then in PGMOL's own words the Silva handball wasn't applicable not because they'd already adjudicated on other grounds but because it didn't result in an actual goal. I can see the argument why it should (since it leads to a penalty that could be converted), but that seems not to be the official position. Maybe they'll clarify this in due course.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
That’s not how it works though. If Trents hand ball is deemed to be a pen, then Silvas hand ball clearly created a goal scoring opportunity, meaning Liverpool should have a free kick.

If Trents hand ball is accepted as a close range deflection and no pen, Silvas hand ball is not punishable, and you should play on.

You can argue for both, but there is simply no way it’s a pen.
No, that's not how it works.... they're two separate incidents and it's a "goal" not a "goal scoring opportunity".

You're assuming PGMOL considered Silva's because they commented on TAAs.... that's all it is, an assumption. (Hence why I said originally, it would be good if such decisions were explained instead of part explained and leaving unanswered questions).

Mark Halsey (experienced ex ref) is quite clear that it was a penalty and why...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/metro....s-former-premier-league-referee-11076329/amp/

Football has poor referees and is mis using VAR. If that had been officiated using the same style as rugby union refs, they'd have looked at both incidents, explained them and are miked up... leaving no confusion.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Was completely stunned when he overturned a decision in our favor. Still a twat mind you.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Was completely stunned when he overturned a decision in our favor. Still a twat mind you.
Taylor was absolutely awful yesterday, worst ref performance in one of our games I've seen this season

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Taylor was absolutely awful yesterday, worst ref performance in one of our games I've seen this season
He really was. Gave us absolutely nothing, and missing that penalty was an absolute howler.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I never understood how he was regarded as one of the best refs in the country. He has always been terribly inconsistent with his decisions, pure guess work from game to game and if he is the main ref the other refs look to then no wonder the league is in a rut. He should be demoted if he couldn't spot that foul on De Gea. Ridiculous and it just shows how VAR is pointless when they trust the referee and have no point of reference in regards to the rules.

Fitchett

What's our record now when this c*nt is in the middle? I remember someone posting a while back that we had 4 wins out of 20 matches.

Josep Dowling

28 matches in the league. W11/D9/L8.

3 matches in the FA Cup. L3.

He is a fecking cockwart.
Was thinking whenever we refs our games we don’t win. Those stats prove that. Do you know how it compares to other referees?

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
From the opposite end of the ground it didn’t look that way
For a fan of a team that seems to think this was a pivotal moment, and posts on here about it thus confirming availability of Internet access, to not have viewed, at the very least, one online clip of the aforementioned pivotal moment is really surprising. :)

Thanks for posting about your view from the other end of the pitch though. :p;)

montpelier

Oh come on, it was so obvious even Oliver managed to give it without looking like an idiot and 15 minutes worth of help from VAR.

cyberman

Maybe its down to VAR but I really think he has come on as a referee. Theres now a clear difference between he and the likes of Mike Dean in the pecking order

An Alone Wolf

Supports
Liverpool
I do think he is one of the better officials but that's mostly down to the others being... not so good.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Every single VAR decision will go against us today and he won’t have to explain himself to anyone.

Carl

Thought it looked a pen in real time, thought it was the correct decision when I saw it again though. William's kicks through the player to get the ball, and even then the contact is minimal.

OverratedOpinion

Thought it looked a pen in real time, thought it was the correct decision when I saw it again though. William's kicks through the player to get the ball, and even then the contact is minimal.
You were right the first time.

Bestie07

Clear and obvious error needs to be changed to only inconclusive decisions will stay with onfield decisions. This is not even the worst decision that the VAR has decided not to overrule this season. Farce.

El Zoido

The contact was enough to prevent him from moving forward with a ball he won legitimately. It’s a very clear foul.

SteveW

Thought that first but watch how deondonker moves his foot out. Oliver decided on first glance. Needed to look more closely. Awful decision.

Carl

The contact was enough to prevent him from moving forward with a ball he won legitimately. It’s a very clear foul.
For me it's one of those that you see given and you see not given. You can easily argue that it is, and isn't a foul.

Therefore unsurprising VAR didn't overturn.

izec

Will never understand why the ref himself doesn't go to check it himself on the monitor. He is the main guy, let him decide in such circumstances.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Yes. Very tough to explain this decision. Any explanation from VAR and Oliver will be one which indirectly points to VAR itself as a system flaw, all to hide and protect the proven bias and inconsistencies in the league referees. You can create reasonable doubt out of anything in this world if you are committed to your bias, this ref gives away soft penalties for fun to his favourite teams and fail to give stone wall penalties to others. Integrity of the league is so questionable.

Josep Dowling

Both pundits saying that isn’t a penalty. I don’t get it. Dendonker got none of the ball, had trip Williams so he couldn’t get to the ball. It’s a foul all day long.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
He looks like the type of cnut to go on forums and wank himself off after annoying so many people.

I know you're reading, Michael. You chinless cockwart.