Michael Oliver

Anustart89

Discussions about any referee are wrought with fan-bias and a sense of persecution. It’s usually completely unfair in terms of the way fans watch and remember football matches.

How often can we name refs who made big decisions in our favour? How often do we discuss refs who remained pretty anonymous throughout the 90?

In general, ref chat is utterly glib and goes nowhere other than towards dull sanctimonious witterings.
You’re posting this as a response to people on a United board bumping a thread in order to level criticism at a referee for not sending a Burnley player off against Tottenham.

Matchday thread musings should be taken with a huge pinch of salt, but I don’t really see your point right here.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
You’re posting this as a response to people on a United board bumping a thread in order to level criticism at a referee for not sending a Burnley player off against Tottenham.

Matchday thread musings should be taken with a huge pinch of salt, but I don’t really see your point right here.
My point - which wasn’t partizan - is that analysis of referees by fans is often characterised by bias and lacks perspective even outside of matchday discourse.

I chose this thread as it was about a referee. The post above mine is the sort of thing that gets lashed around about every referee. I don’t like it.

90 + 5min

I don't think he is the worst. I would just throw his name in a bucket with pretty much every other referee in this country. Including VAR referees. What strikes me is the level of ever changing rules. One referee can be "soft" one week, the same referee can be very "though" the other. There is no solid ground.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I don't think he is the worst. I would just throw his name in a bucket with pretty much every other referee in this country. Including VAR referees. What strikes me is the level of ever changing rules. One referee can be "soft" one week, the same referee can be very "though" the other. There is no solid ground.
This is where Oliver is the top guy. He is incredibly unpredictable. Mike Dean is also unpredictable and weird but I usually just get the feeling that he is too spontaneous, it never seems all that calculated. With Oliver, I'm sure he knows the rules off the top of his brain too well, almost as if he would make a decision based on if he can get away with doing or not doing something, with a decent explanation/excuse for his action. The next week he might use the counter argument others had to his previous decision to explain this one. It just goes on like that it seems.

Bojan11

This guy screws us from the VAR room the stupid prefect looking cnut.

SER19

He's a cheat. That's not up for discussion when it comes to united. Years and years of it from him.

Abe144

Supports
CD Guadalajara
Maguire fouls Pickford. Pickford fouls Maguire. Then Maguire fouls Digne. None are called

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
Maguire fouls Pickford. Pickford fouls Maguire. Then Maguire fouls Digne. None are called
first 2 correct Maguire got the slightest touch on the ball first, bad tackle from him because he nearly missed the ball and gifted them a pen

klayton88

He definatley reminded the teacher that they'd given homework and it was due to be handed in.

cyberman

it checks the entire passage of play it was in the same incident, VAR didn't give anything but the first foul was by Maguire
But they dont? Its only if its onside or not?
I swear I read VAR cant overturn non pen or non yellow challenges.
And the ref didnt give the shove so how can VAR deem it a foul without involving the ref?

Fitchett

Biggest cheat in the league. Never gives us anything, so the non award of a stonewall penalty against Pickford was all I expected from that cnut.

Irrational.

He's a smarmy pencil necked cnut who thrives off swinging his tiny pecker around to show the players who's in charge, as he lets the power get to his pea sized brain, driving him clinically insane with every passing match he officiates.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Tried his best to feck us from the VAR office today. Can’t stand him, most people think Mike Dean but this skinny cnut is the worst ref for me.

Idxomer

He's a smarmy pencil necked cnut who thrives off swinging his tiny pecker around to show the players who's in charge, as he lets the power get to his pea sized brain, driving him clinically insane with every passing match he officiates.
:lol:

I agree with every word.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Agreed! :lol:

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
You just know that joke he said to the Sheffield United player who crashed over the advert board was so cringeworthy, the kind of joke that makes you embarrassed for the teller.

Idxomer

That foul against Shaw was a disgrace, he finds any excuse to blow against us.

Djemba-Djemba

He's fecking useless.

We play against 12 everytime he's ref.

Completely missed Mings smashing Pogba in the face.

Fell for a blatant dive from the Villa winger on the edge of our box.

Blew up early in injury time when we had a corner.

He's horrific