Michael Owen has always been a cringe monster

thepolice123

Going to doncaster:

How far are you from Doncaster? I’m there in a couple of weeks for a couple of days so if it was close I’d have suggested we meet for a debate.

Advising her on social media:

And I’ll advise on the suitability of them for social media – hopefully none of them are suitable.

Well you went straight in there with a pic of your tits so there’s no point taking a back step now. Hmmm. Not bad. Great tits. Definitely a no-go for social media.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
"Your past. Your present. Your post with your tits out." has been living rent free in my head since this news came out.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

We’ve had an absolute birthday

Who the feck says that?

Josh 76

I’m sure all the England players from the Golden Generation want England to lose.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
How much would he go for in today's market as a 20 year old (same age as sancho,greenwood,foden) ?

Mind you as a 20 year old he already had won the golden boot twice on the bounce and was joint top scorer with yorke who went on to win golden boot in the third year, otherwise he would have won it thrice on the trot.

I reckon not less than 125m pounds (not euros) and the dippers unlike us don't sell cheap.
He was never outright top scorer. Never outscored Yorke in a season. Never scored more in a season than Fowler did. Or Ole.

He was a truly exciting talent but nowhere near the level he’s portrayed to have been. The Argentina goal added a sheen to a reputation that’s stuck.

Sancho, Foden and Greenwood are all better footballers than Owen was.

EDIT : Poor language. I mean he never beat those guys best season total

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
He was never outright top scorer. Never outscored Yorke in a season. Never scored more in a season than Fowler did. Or Ole.

He was a truly exciting talent but nowhere near the level he’s portrayed to have been. The Argentina goal added a sheen to a reputation that’s stuck.

You're forgetting the CF premium. 18-20 year old Owen would've gone for over £100m in the 2018-2020 market.

Raredaredevil

We’ve had an absolute birthday

Who the feck says that?
I noticed English/Brits love to say the word absolutely and somehow this word has become so mainstream used in the English language by anyone. Just find it funny though.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
I noticed English/Brits love to say the word absolutely and somehow this word has become so mainstream used in the English language by anyone. Just find it funny though.
I absolutely do this. Got called out on it the other day on here. Probably by you.

UnrelatedPsuedo

You're forgetting the CF premium. 18-20 year old Owen would've gone for over £100m in the 2018-2020 market.
I don’t doubt that he would have been coveted for crazy money at 18-20. But there’s a rose tinted element to how people see him.

I believe Ole had a better game/goal return than Owen. This despite a boatload of substitute appearances. He was a really good goal scorer but the early years hype saw him surf a really weird wave for a long time.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
I don’t doubt that he would have been coveted for crazy money at 18-20. But there’s a rose tinted element to how people see him.

I believe Ole had a better game/goal return than Owen. This despite a boatload of substitute appearances. He was a really good goal scorer but the early years hype saw him surf a really weird wave for a long time.
For sure, however if a 18-20 year old displayed what Owen did today people would go crazy. Owen never lived up to his potential/hype, however before you know what a player becomes, people are always going to go crazy over them.

A good comparison for me with Owen is with a player today is Felix.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
For sure, however if a 18-20 year old displayed what Owen did today people would go crazy. Owen never lived up to his potential/hype, however before you know what a player becomes, people are always going to go crazy over them.

A good comparison for me with Owen is with a player today is Felix.
A young Jamie Vardy, if Vardy was actually any good as a young player.

Stacks

297apps 158 goals 49 assists he scored 28 in 2002 which is higher than any Ole total and equal to York there abouts. None of them are even close. He was a far more dynamic player than Greenwood and could finish just was well with his right peg and more variety in this finishing which included chips and dinks. I am inclined to believe you never saw him play and come from the newer generation?

UnrelatedPsuedo

297apps 158 goals 49 assists he scored 28 in 2002 which is higher than any Ole total and equal to York there abouts. None of them are even close. He was a far more dynamic player than Greenwood and could finish just was well with his right peg and more variety in this finishing which included chips and dinks. I am inclined to believe you never saw him play and come from the newer generation?
I’m probably older than you Stacks. I saw him live a bunch of times, including his late star turn against Arsenal in Cardiff (Scouse mates dragged me there). He was a good centre forward but massively overrated.

I just rechecked Ole. 529apps 282goals. They’re about quits.

I’m not downplaying his record. But I’ll happily declare he’s a Waitrose Jermain Defoe.

He was a really good centre forward with some devilish purple patches.

Edit : I based my prior post numbers on League Goals so we may be out of whack there. I’ve had this dumb debate with Scouse mates before but a while ago. I could be wrong on the data.

Stacks

I’m probably older than you Stacks. I saw him live a bunch of times, including his late star turn against Arsenal in Cardiff (Scouse mates dragged me there). He was a good centre forward but massively overrated.

I just rechecked Ole. 529apps 282goals. They’re about quits.

I’m not downplaying his record. But I’ll happily declare he’s a Waitrose Jermain Defoe.

He was a really good centre forward with some devilish purple patches.
you are including his Molde and Clausengan which is league 2 in Norway For Man Utd Ole was

Owen career disrupted by rampant injuries. He rarely completed more than 30 league games

UnrelatedPsuedo

you are including his Molde and Clausengan which is league 2 in Norway For Man Utd Ole was

Owen career disrupted by rampant injuries. He rarely completed more than 30 league games
Fair go on that. It’s a far lower standard. I didn’t interrogate beyond a Google search.

I think the basis of my point remains. [Took a quick look at his Wiki to quote the following]

People vastly overrate Owen in my opinion. He was joint top scorer with Dion Dublin one year. Hasslebaink in another. He never broke 20 in a PL season.

I’ll maybe accept that having my closest 3 friends between the ages of 8 and 20 being Liverpool fans probably saw me spend Owens whole career playing his exploits down in school and pub debates. But I still don’t think he was that big a deal.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
He seems to irritate people for some reason but denying he was a real quality player at his peak is a bizarre rock to die on.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days

Some classic replies to this.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
seems like he is that type of person who somehow always manages to turn around the conversation unrelated to him to be all about himself.

CraftySoAndSo

Surprised he didn't tweet "Congrats Emma Raducanu on being 68th in Sports Personality of the year. I came 45th so i'm the 45th best British Sports Personality in the world. Just saying"

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Surprised he didn't tweet "Congrats Emma Raducanu on being 68th in Sports Personality of the year. I came 45th so i'm the 45th best British Sports Personality in the world. Just saying"
That's more of a Piers Morgan line.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Just shows how flawed this award is that a humanoid with zero personality can win it.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
seems like he is that type of person who somehow always manages to turn around the conversation unrelated to him to be all about himself.
We call them black dogs round my way, it doesnt matter if you have a black dog, they have a blacker one.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
He’s a narcissist and completely unaware of it. The lead character in the movie of life and when anything happens he thinks “Interesting, how does this fit around Michael Owen?”