Michael Owen has always been a cringe monster

matt10000

I’ve always thought the same thing about Owen. He seems very aspie.
Does anyone like Michael Owen except for his mum and his wife?

he’s what we’d call in Sydney a shit bloke.
So not the same sentence then. Two different posts in fact!

“Aspie” is the commonly used term within the community and is not derogatory at all. I would again suggest winding your neck in because from your posts about “mental disorders” it seems you really don’t have much clue about the subject.
I don’t claim to be an expert on mental disorders like you do but I just think that someone who posts that someone is an aspie and then a few minutes later posts that no one except his mum and wife like him and he is a shit bloke, I think that both posts and the use of the term aspie were derogatory. I don’t buy into the idea that one post was a serious medical assessment followed shortly afterwards by derogatory insults.

Spaghetti

Mom's
People can be autistic and shit. It doesn’t mean one is related to the other.

The same way that people can be English and shit. The two are not necessarily related.

Some seem too eager to twist others’ words for some reason.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
People can be autistic and shit. It doesn’t mean one is related to the other.

The same way that people can be English and shit. The two are not necessarily related.

Some seem too eager to twist others’ words for some reason.
People who have autism tend to struggle with social cues which in turn can make people think that they have a shit attitude (know it all etc) . For the record I don't think Owen has autism

renandstimpyfan83

Supports
Real Oviedo/England
I don’t claim to be an expert on mental disorders like you do but I just think that someone who posts that someone is an aspie and then a few minutes later posts that no one except his mum and wife like him and he is a shit bloke, I think that both posts and the use of the term aspie were derogatory. I don’t buy into the idea that one post was a serious medical assessment followed shortly afterwards by derogatory insults.
40 hours is “a few minues” now? At least you’re creeping slightly closer towards the truth.

You’re reading in to something that doesn’t exist! I didn’t even remember making that post when I was commenting on what a dick Owen is in response to you saying the thread was full of haters. The only reason I posted that he seemed like an aspie was in response to someone else saying the same thing as I was interested that someone had the same thought I’ve often had when seeing him on TV.

It was never even an issue until you wouldn’t shut up about it and seeing as you won’t I’m not going to bother posting in here anymore. I’m not here to engage in ethical debates and I really don’t care enough about Michael Owen to spend this much time talking about him.

matt10000

40 hours is “a few minues” now? At least you’re creeping slightly closer towards the truth.

You’re reading in to something that doesn’t exist! I didn’t even remember making that post when I was commenting on what a dick Owen is in response to you saying the thread was full of haters. The only reason I posted that he seemed like an aspie was in response to someone else saying the same thing as I was interested that someone had the same thought I’ve often had when seeing him on TV.

It was never even an issue until you wouldn’t shut up about it and seeing as you won’t I’m not going to bother posting in here anymore. I’m not here to engage in ethical debates and I really don’t care enough about Michael Owen to spend this much time talking about him.
Oh I see, 40 minutes between you saying he is an aspie and then saying no one likes him other than his mum and wife and he is a shit bloke makes all the difference!

And what a great defence that you don’t remember making the post!

You say I won’t shut up about it, well I have only responded to each post you have made and so you have gone on about it as much as me!

Spaghetti

Mom's
People who have autism tend to struggle with social cues which in turn can make people think that they have a shit attitude (know it all etc) . For the record I don't think Owen has autism
Ok thanks for your reply.

I also don’t think he does. If you look deeply then I suppose everybody would have some characteristics related to autism.

devilish

Ok thanks for your reply.

I also don’t think he does. If you look deeply then I suppose everybody would have some characteristics related to autism.
No one is an expert in autism that's because the spectrum is so huge that no autistic person is the same. However there's many common traits that Owen simply doesn't have. First of all autistic people tend to have sensory overload. That means that they have a tendency to avoid things like noises. OT, Anfield and the Bernabeu are hardly these sort of places. Secondly an autistic person tend to go in great detail on subjects he like and tend to struggle in stopping talking about these sort of things. Owen tend to state the obvious and is very superficial in his argument. Thirdly autistic people like to deal with absolutes and they tend to hate change. They wouldn't do it unless it can't be helped. Moving from Liverpool to United is hardly something an Autistic would do.

If I have to point at a player who might have autism (or autistic traits) then that person would be Paul Scholes. He is reserved, he's got a rather blinkered and blunt view about football, he is a one club player, he never really cared about the money involved (he didn't even had an agent) and to top it all his son is autistic (autism is very genetic)

Last edited:

Spaghetti

Mom's
No one is an expert in autism that's because the spectrum is so huge that no autistic person is the same. However there's many common traits that Owen simply doesn't have. First of all autistic people tend to have sensory overload. That means that they have a tendency to avoid things like noises. OT, Anfield and the Bernabeu are hardly these sort of places. Secondly an autistic person tend to go in great detail on subjects he like and tend to struggle in stopping talking about these sort of things. Owen tend to state the obvious and is very superficial in his argument. Thirdly autistic people like to deal with absolutes and they tend to hate change. They wouldn't do it unless it can't be helped. Moving from Liverpool to United is hardly something an Autistic would do.

If I have to point at a player who might have autism (or autistic traits) then that person would be Paul Scholes. He is reserved, he's got a rather blinkered and blunt view about football, he is a one club player, he never really cared about the money involved (he didn't even had an agent) and to top it all his son is autistic (autism is very genetic)
Can’t really argue with any of that. You seem to have a lot better idea of autism than I do (and most of the posters on here) and it’s an interesting point about Scholes.

man united 4eva

As far as i'm concerned in regards to Michael Owen... I can't think of a single football player who is more despised in equal measure by the fanbase of both United & Liverpool..

Sylar

As far as i'm concerned in regards to Michael Owen... I can't think of a single football player who is more despised in equal measure by the fanbase of both United & Liverpool..
Not liked by Newcastle fans either
And Madrid fans (well not sure how many) aren't happy with his reaction when barca beat psg and he was running around (even former barca player linekar didn't go that mad)
Are Stoke fans the only ones who like him?

Not liked by Newcastle fans either
And Madrid fans (well not sure how many) aren't happy with his reaction when barca beat psg and he was running around (even former barca player linekar didn't go that mad)
Are Stoke fans the only ones who like him?
I think he might just be ‘liked’ most by United fans.

that picture of him lifting the PL title in a United shirt is worth it for how much it pisses off the scoucers.

is he not an ambassador for them now?

he’s a joke of a pundit, and like Redknapp and Souness - no one takes a work of what they say seriously. All three should be sent to the glue factory b

Devil81

I don't really dislike him for two reasons, one mentioned above he won the league title after only playing a handful of games and yet celebrated it like he'd played the full 38.

And the second is that goal, how can we ever forget that goal.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
It's the fact he is oblivious to the fact that fans don't like him. It is a amazing skill to make the fans of every club you play for dislike you.

Devil81

It's the fact he is oblivious to the fact that fans don't like him. It is a amazing skill to make the fans of every club you play for dislike you.
He will be oblivious because the same fans that slag him off will be asking for an autograph and photo outside Anfield when he goes to games.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

I know it’s a sponsored Tweet but my god did those first two sentences make my spine coil.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea

You are correct where you say autism is unique to the individual and therefore behavioural and social resposes will differ.

However it’s contradictory to claim autistic people have sensory overload. This is a common trait for ASD however it’s not something which is applied to every person with a diagnosis of autism or anything under the ASD umbrella, such as Aspergers. I have recently completed an ASD assessment on an 18 year old boy who is obsessed with theme parks and rollercoasters. Sensory overload would certainly apply to any adult in this environment however it appears atypical in his behaviour.

Second point, absolutely. Whilst social norms will ‘usually’ lead to people with ASD focusing more on subjects of interest, they do still have the ability to engage in other discussion, albeit whilst masking. Again this is predominantly females with ASD but it’s not unknown for males when they’re working in a stress up environment.

Third point, I totally disagree with. Again though, you could be correct due to the diversity and range of ASD traits. Many people with ASD however would simply lack the empathy or either understand or care about moving from football rivals. Like point 2, where specific interests are pinpointed focus, empathy also appears to be towards certain aspects of their life, quite often specific family members, friends or animals.

I wouldn’t believe he had ASD however the massive range of the spectrum would suggest we all have ASD traits. Almost a fifth of people diagnosed with ASD have some form of OCD ranging minor to severe. ADHD also often overlaps with Autism as do multiple conditions involving extra chromosomes. It’s not something you can easily diagnose by watching someone on television.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff

I know it’s a sponsored Tweet but my god did those first two sentences make my spine coil.
Shit like this is always so so bad. It's the same when Cesc Fabregas and other footballers did the Heineken CL thing where they were posting generic things clearly not written by them like 'I think Barcelona will play well tonight, what do you think @Pablozabaleta?'

It's so cringe.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Shit like this is always so so bad. It's the same when Cesc Fabregas and other footballers did the Heineken CL thing where they were posting generic things clearly not written by them like 'I think Barcelona will play well tonight, what do you think @Pablozabaleta?'

It's so cringe.
Sweet lemonade mhm sweet lemonade

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Michael Owen is the Anti-Ryan Reyonolds when it comes to marketing.

devilish

You are correct where you say autism is unique to the individual and therefore behavioural and social resposes will differ.

However it’s contradictory to claim autistic people have sensory overload. This is a common trait for ASD however it’s not something which is applied to every person with a diagnosis of autism or anything under the ASD umbrella, such as Aspergers. I have recently completed an ASD assessment on an 18 year old boy who is obsessed with theme parks and rollercoasters. Sensory overload would certainly apply to any adult in this environment however it appears atypical in his behaviour.

Second point, absolutely. Whilst social norms will ‘usually’ lead to people with ASD focusing more on subjects of interest, they do still have the ability to engage in other discussion, albeit whilst masking. Again this is predominantly females with ASD but it’s not unknown for males when they’re working in a stress up environment.

Third point, I totally disagree with. Again though, you could be correct due to the diversity and range of ASD traits. Many people with ASD however would simply lack the empathy or either understand or care about moving from football rivals. Like point 2, where specific interests are pinpointed focus, empathy also appears to be towards certain aspects of their life, quite often specific family members, friends or animals.

I wouldn’t believe he had ASD however the massive range of the spectrum would suggest we all have ASD traits. Almost a fifth of people diagnosed with ASD have some form of OCD ranging minor to severe. ADHD also often overlaps with Autism as do multiple conditions involving extra chromosomes. It’s not something you can easily diagnose by watching someone on television.
I have friends and relatives who are in the spectrum. I also spent years working with an Autistic person whom I became a good friend both to him and his family (father is also autistic). Regarding sensory overload I think it stands on the

I will focus only on the points we have disagreed upon

Sensory overload is something that fascinated me greatly. My mate was moved into my office simply because he couldn't stand stuff like perfume, telephone calls, small talk etc. I being male (no expensive perfume for me) and quite a techie could limit that to the minimum

The guy would sit down, put his headphones on often on blasting sound (documentaries or classic music) and work. If its was a project that interested him then he would sit down from early morning to late and he simply wouldn't move (no toilet breaks, no drinking, no lunch nothing). He would finish projects that would take others weeks in a day or two. We sometimes spoke about how come he would be distracted by a simple phone call and yet he could tolerate hours of documentaries. His answer was that this was the noise he chose to listen. His father is pretty much the same. He would go home and spend the evenings listening to 60s music till he basically goes to sleep. That's their version of white noise.

I believe that sensory overload in autistics work in 2 ways. Sure they are more sensitive to sensory impulses and they struggle to filter what's relevant to what is garbage. However lack of theory of mind plays a role in this as well. While neurotypicals can acknowledge that a telephone call will eventually end and its simply not worth causing a fuss about it, autistic people struggle on that regard.

Your patient probably tolerated that noise simply because its the noise that he chose to listen to. Its also linked to his fixation and thus it brings him joy.

Autistic people might sound weird at times if not brutal. They often live in a totally black or white world with little to no grey areas in between. That makes them look like aholes (lets face it even Paul Scholes tend to do that sometimes). However that doesn't mean that they lack empathy. I've seen my mate cry when I was leaving work, I've seen him confronting the CEO in a packed office simply because he dared criticising the person's boss in what he believed to be unfair and I also saw him handling his resignation letter when there was rumours that we might have to surrender our office. The guy would buy pastries on a regular basis for everyone out of his own pocket.

Sure the spectrum is wide and not every autistic is the same. However I tend to find autistic people to possess high moral standards and can be incredibly loyal towards other people.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
I have friends and relatives who are in the spectrum. I also spent years working with an Autistic person whom I became a good friend both to him and his family (father is also autistic). Regarding sensory overload I think it stands on the

I will focus only on the points we have disagreed upon

Sensory overload is something that fascinated me greatly. My mate was moved into my office simply because he couldn't stand stuff like perfume, telephone calls, small talk etc. I being male (no expensive perfume for me) and quite a techie could limit that to the minimum

The guy would sit down, put his headphones on often on blasting sound (documentaries or classic music) and work. If its was a project that interested him then he would sit down from early morning to late and he simply wouldn't move (no toilet breaks, no drinking, no lunch nothing). He would finish projects that would take others weeks in a day or two. We sometimes spoke about how come he would be distracted by a simple phone call and yet he could tolerate hours of documentaries. His answer was that this was the noise he chose to listen. His father is pretty much the same. He would go home and spend the evenings listening to 60s music till he basically goes to sleep. That's their version of white noise.

I believe that sensory overload in autistics work in 2 ways. Sure they are more sensitive to sensory impulses and they struggle to filter what's relevant to what is garbage. However lack of theory of mind plays a role in this as well. While neurotypicals can acknowledge that a telephone call will eventually end and its simply not worth causing a fuss about it, autistic people struggle on that regard.

Your patient probably tolerated that noise simply because its the noise that he chose to listen to. Its also linked to his fixation and thus it brings him joy.

Autistic people might sound weird at times if not brutal. They often live in a totally black or white world with little to no grey areas in between. That makes them look like aholes (lets face it even Paul Scholes tend to do that sometimes). However that doesn't mean that they lack empathy. I've seen my mate cry when I was leaving work, I've seen him confronting the CEO in a packed office simply because he dared criticising the person's boss in what he believed to be unfair and I also saw him handling his resignation letter when there was rumours that we might have to surrender our office. The guy would buy pastries on a regular basis for everyone out of his own pocket.

Sure the spectrum is wide and not every autistic is the same. However I tend to find autistic people to possess high moral standards and can be incredibly loyal towards other people.
Without going too much into it, I have probably assessed over 60 people with ASD in the past twelve months alone and, as you say, no a single assessment will be of a similar nature.

Masking is a key trait to study. It could almost single handedly explain how kids with ASD in the 90s managed without the awareness and support available in the present day. Albeit, a micro study of observation, it would certainly describe a lot of kids I knew growing up who were potentially undiagnosed.

Empathy is a very controversial term in ASD. It’s about perception as opposed to the accepted norm of empathy. Many parents for example, really can’t grasp why their child doesn’t console them when unwell or apologise for lashing out on family. Again theory of mind and safe base need further study. The coke bottle effect has a really good impact supporting families, again when discussing empathy and the aforementioned link to masking.

I agree with loyalties although not often a positive as it can lead to exploitation of negative risk taking behaviour. It depends on where these loyalties lie.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Hasn't had a cup of tea - ever. Weird - arguably even a bit bizarre, given his nationality. But in isolation - not that alarming.

Never seen a movie. Well, that is bizarre by most standards. But even that, in isolation, isn't positively shocking.

The combination, though? I mean, it can't be that many adults in the UK who've never watched a movie or had a cup of tea.