Michael Owen, Manchester United PL winner...

Member 113277

Cool, let’s re-open the forum when the Glazers hire Michael McIntyre as the manager and not before.

If this is your logic, you must find it difficult to understand 90% of the posts on here, given they come from plumbers and computer programmers instead of coaches.

I’ve just shamed my previous post in about 20 seconds!:(
You can rationalise it anyway you like, but Fergie was the greatest manager that the EPL has ever seen. He saw an opportunity to get a second tier striker on an affordable deal and that striker scored a respectable amount of goals in secondary competitions, taking some of the strain off first tier players, which was his reason for being there. The goal against City was a hilarious bonus.

Does it offend me? No. Do I dislike Michael Owen? I don't have any feelings towards him, he acted professionally during his contract and then went to Stoke. Do I resent him wearing #7? No, it's not as if they retired it when he left - given that Antonio Valencia, Memphis and Alexis Sanchez also wore it, neither is it an exclusive worn by only the all time greats.

I don't have difficulties remembering George Best (who also wore 8, 10, 11 regularly), Bryan Robson, Eric Cantona, Beckham, Cristiano etc. The number 7 shirt is great, when a great player wears it, otherwise it's just a number.

Son

The tribalism between both the clubs is funny at times. I dislike Leeds more than Pool and I love Rio & liked Alan Smith so it is what it is.

I also hope we sign Sancho because he’ll become a legend at United & most probably our best player.

Grande

Up until this day, this is probably the one thing I struggle to ‘forgive’ the great Sir Alex for. I know there were a few highlights - goal against City, League Cup final, hat-trick in Wolfsburg etc - but on the whole, it wasn’t a spectacular contribution.

Everytime I see him he seems a proper prick, who has little time for United. He’s a scouser, and a somewhat iconic one at that. Yet Sir Alex saw it fit to give this rag the opportunity to win his one major club medal in his career by bagging a PL title with us. It would have been one thing if we had signed an Owen or Gerrard in their prime, who despite being Scousers, were world class players so we bit the bullet and won great things together. But Owen was finished, and should, like Gerrard, be ending his career without a PL title by rights. It’d be like us finally getting Aguero his missing CL title by bringing him in as cover at 35 and winning it, for him to then retire as a CL winning City legend. Or us doing an emergency short term deal for a 38 year old Gerrard to cover and him getting a PL medal out of it.

It doesn’t sit well with me, and I feel like he’s done a number on us that he should have never been given the opportunity to do.
You know that feeling when you dislike and disdain someone personally so much just for having been with another gang, and you feel so protective and self-important about your crew that you hate your crew to accept that person, because you feel he should be punished eternally for having been with that other group, and you feel betrayed by your mates for bestowing and sullying some of the greatness that you’re entitled to exclusively, onto an unworthy? That feeling? Not quite envy, not quite jealousy, not quite contempt, not quite paranoia, not quite narsissistic delusions of grandeur, or maybe a blend of all of them? I’ve had that feeling too.

I think it’s the kind of feeling we should probably work through, rather than take as gospel and preach to others ...

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
You know that feeling when you dislike and disdain someone personally so much just for having been with another gang, and you feel so protective and self-important about your crew that you hate your crew to accept that person, because you feel he should be punished eternally for having been with that other group, and you feel betrayed by your mates for bestowing and sullying some of the greatness that you’re entitled to exclusively, onto an unworthy? That feeling? Not quite envy, not quite jealousy, not quite contempt, not quite paranoia, not quite narsissistic delusions of grandeur, or maybe a blend of all of them? I’ve had that feeling too.

I think it’s the kind of feeling we should probably work through, rather than take as gospel and preach to others ...
Yea, that’s all nice and philosophical, but this is football chat mate, not gospel and preaching. But thanks for your concern.

Robertd0803

Was worth it for the City goal as well as watching him lift the PL trophy in a pub with quite a few Liverpool fans. :lol:

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat

Eh? What feeling?

Judas

Open to offers
Don't get the level of animosity over this really. Awful little bloke as a pundit though, but the City goal was a classic moment that will be remembered for a very very long time.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
This is some negative thinking when you could easily view it as being a great wum move by Fergie, to take someone they held so dearly, give them the number 7 and actually win the league.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
MOwen is a contestant on celebrity Tipping Point at 7pm tonight on itv. Should be good for a laugh.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
MOwen has once again reiterated on network television that he has only watched 6 films in his entire life.

What a bizarre little man.

KekiZeki

Well he did manage to unite us and Liverpool fans in one thing - both groups think he's a prick and you can add Newcastle fans to the mix :lol:

Only club where fans don't think that is Real Madrid, because they forgot they had him.

I'll never forget his last game at Newcastle, when they got relegated, all the players looked like they just saw a ghost, except for him. He already had other plans and was visibly unmoved by the events.

We can tell LFC fans he had to get here to win the PL, but even that is not a big thing, we could have signed their worst player they ever had and under Ferguson he'd be a PL winner. Important goals he did score for us could have been scored by someone else, players at United performed at the time.

KekiZeki

MOwen has once again reiterated on network television that he has only watched 6 films in his entire life.

What a bizarre little man.
Every time he turns on the TV his image from the screen disappears, he just can't handle it so he just looks at the TV when it's off.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Liverpool fans almost universally dislike him and he was their beckham for a period in the 90s. will always love that goal against city and he contributed however minimally to a title win. I really don't see the issue.