Gaming Microsoft buys Zenimax | 9th March: Bethesda games officially joins Microsoft. Unlucky Afro.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Can they respond? They just don't have the cash to play with do they.

Playstation will still go strong, and when they eventually move to focussing on a subscription (it will happen) then they'll still likely be market leader globally just through loyalty and back cat.
Yeah true. As I’ve always said though, it’s about the games, and this is clearly a big step for MS and should certainly lead to their console being more attractive for gamers.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Yeah true. As I’ve always said though, it’s about the games, and this is clearly a big step for MS and should certainly lead to their console being more attractive for gamers.
Or, you could just get a cheap streaming stick in a few years and do a gamepass sub.

The only reason a stick is needed is to bluetooth a controller else you could probably just play it on your smart tv. Streaming is already available to android, and will be iOS if they can come to a deal. Won't be long until any laptop can stream via browser I expect.

For those who don't want to fork out for an xbox console, this will be the alternative and MS will be more than happy with that.

Alock1

Xbox has been very pro consumer in their gaming division last 5 years or so. Obviously it has the ultimate goal of driving revenue but it's still a win/win situation.

Understand the concerns but just saying - MS has been leading on a number of pro-consumer initiatives (gamepass, backwards compat (devices too, not just games), accessibility, smart delivery, putting exclusives on PC) in recent years and it's worked well for them, so personally I'm not too concerned.

If they go down the exclusive route, they'll still be available on PC. And, anybody who doesnt have xbox/PC will be able to stream them through phone / tv / tablet app, a streaming stick or browser.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Do we even know anything about Starfield? It’s a complete waste of time for me, just get the new Elder Scrolls out you fools.

Bojan11

@esmufc07 why you spreading hope to Sony fans on Twitter that they could buy take two? Take two are worth nearly three times as much as Zenimax. Sony do not have that money lying around. It would bankrupt them.

Castia

Microsoft aren’t fecking about.

The one thing they’ve been accused of is lack of first party games but they’ve been buying studios for fun in the past 2 years to put that right.

hubbuh

Elder Scrolls: Oblivion was one of those games that changed everything for me, in terms of gaming. Me and my cousin would do our paper-round, read and talk about the football news from the paper (that's how I found out about Nani, Anderson and Hargreaves!), and discuss what we would do on Oblivion (we'd then get home and put our headsets on). Good fecking times.

DavelinaJolie

That's some hilarious big dick energy "Signing up timed exclusives with Bethesda eh? Well just sign up Bethesda!"

It makes me chortle anyway.

Bojan11

So big names probably won’t be on other consoles. But smaller titles might.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.

So big names probably won’t be on other consoles. But smaller titles might.
I think it would be other way around. But if Starfield and Elder Scrolls are exclusive then Xbox will go from having no games to potentially two of best games of next generation. Hopefully prices will be down by that time so that buying multiple console is justified.

Ainu

I'm not too sure about Bethesda, might be like a poisoned chalice. Id and Arkane are fine studios of course. Not too familiar with the other ones.

Rooney1987

Based on Xbox consumer friendly movement I think Elder Scrolls 6 will be on as many devices possible however I think Starfield will be an exclusive and I think that’s fair game as it’s a new title.

Alock1

Don’t see it. New IPs that are smaller probably will be multi platform. Big hitters no chance. They aren’t spending 7 billion to be multi platform.
Depends. They can make a lot of money on Elder Scrolls / Fallout by having it multi plat. It could still have timed Xbox exclusivity, additional DLC / characters, and day 1 gamepass (vs £70 PS5).

I think Phil will hope to have it as Xbox/PC only but he might have needed to compromise to help unlock this investment.

MuFc_1992

I never got what was so great about TES. I Played TES V and found the game really bland and generic. Loved Fallout 3 but really couldn't get into fallout 4 so, I'm not to bothered by this acquisition alone but this really isn't a good trend if both sides continue gobbling up studios as it is really stupid to spend so much time to create a game just to market it to half the possible potential audience.

Bojan11

I never got what was so great about Skyrim. I Played TES V and found the game really bland and generic. Loved Fallout 3 but really couldn't get into fallout 4 so, I'm not to bothered by this acquisition alone but this really isn't a good trend if both sides continue gobbling up studios as it is really stupid to spend so much time to create a game just to market it to half the possible potential audience.
If both sides are not getting these studios, amazon or google will be buying them. Do you really want games on Stadia only? Or Amazon can sit on them and release nothing.

Coxy

Minecraft was already on other platforms. Minecraft Dungeons, however, got a multiplat release.

They'll honour existing contracts, then all bets are off.
Which is basically what I said! And also been confirmed by Jason:

Alock1

I never got what was so great about TES. I Played TES V and found the game really bland and generic. Loved Fallout 3 but really couldn't get into fallout 4 so, I'm not to bothered by this acquisition alone but this really isn't a good trend if both sides continue gobbling up studios as it is really stupid to spend so much time to create a game just to market it to half the possible potential audience.
Arguably Xbox are opening it up to everybody, a bigger market than before, as they plan to stream to any and every device that is willing and capable. Console / PC isn't a barrier if you can get it by streaming to your phone, a chromecast (equivalent), a TV app (when they figure a controller solution) or a laptop browser.

Leg-End

Let's be honest this is shite news if you are looking to go PS5 only this gen.

Personally don't care about Doom, Wolfenstein and the like but Fallout and TES being Xbox exclusives is a massive pain in the arse.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Shrewd move by MS. I've gone from having zero interest in buying an Xbox to being 99% sure I'll get one if they make TES, Starfield and Fallout exclusives, all in the space of a tweet.

(Reviews pending.)

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Always played Bethesda games on PC when I can due to mods so even if it's Microsoft exclusive then I'll be happy enough.

MS aren't fecking aren't though, which is good to see.

Turnip

likes to be spanked with games consoles
Wow, this could actually be pretty big if Bethesda had made a decent RPG in the last 10 years. Thank god CD Projekt has made them irrelevant. Makes me think I'm going to need to upgrade my PC as well as getting a PS5 now, not enough to tempt me to get an Xbox unfortunately.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
Wow, this could actually be pretty big if Bethesda had made a decent RPG in the last 10 years. Thank god CD Projekt has made them irrelevant. Makes me think I'm going to need to upgrade my PC as well as getting a PS5 now, not enough to tempt me to get an Xbox unfortunately.
:lol:...

Bojan11

"Case by case basis" just means that ESO and Fallout 76 will stay. All other future games are just Xbox/PC exclusive.
Yeah. Makes sense to put the micro transaction filled games on many platforms as possible.