Mid-season assessment and your expectations

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
We don't even have to build the team around him, just make him part of the team where he can be asset rather than liability. Relying on him to do defensive work means he will be a liability as he loses marker easily and he is always late to sense danger, tbf to him that's not his natural game. So we should just play the players in their best positions.

With how our #10s have played, I would rather play with 10 players than 11 with Lingard, Mata, AP playing as 10. At least there won't be anyone to mess up the attacks. Pogba in that role but deeper like he used to play would be such a huge improvement.
Yeah build the team around him is inaccurate, but we need to play to his strengths.

bonothom

Outside the top 4, so that's a good thing as the Glazers will start sweating about profits.

pascell

I'm actually scared of the direction the club is heading and will continue to head under Ole. Another season of no CL next season (high possibility of happening) also means less Adidas money. This will effect our spending in summer hugely, so I hope the club have all bases covered properly for if this was to happen as this squad needs improving.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
5th in league with outside chance for 4th. All the teams from 4 to 8th have serious weaknesses and whichever can put a good run together will be 4th. We have as good o shot as anyone with pogba back and maybe a good addition in January.

I don't see us getting by city in the league cup. I think we have a better chance in uefa.

I still support Ole.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Not enough players who can score goals, which everyone on the planet except apparently those employed by the club knew.

Added bonus that our centrebacks are actually worse than last season, when they were effectively blamed for everything.

Added bonus that one of them appears literally incapable of passing the ball to a team mate effectively

Added bonus that we still don't appear to bother working on the most basic of things, such as defending corners, or taking throw ins to our own team.

Overall it's hard to say I'm impressed. Some decent attacking (or counter attacking) football in the odd game, but honestly I think that's mostly just down to Rashford's natural improvement and James being a bit better than expected.

Ole says the right things and seems to have a plan, but doesn't appear to be very good at executing it. All well and good saying the players were too slow or lacked intensity, but a year into the job you should really have weeded out basic stuff like selecting players who are not bothering to try hard enough.

Best hope is enough of an improvement to give the Europa League a go, but it's a big ask as so many aspects of our performances are shambolic week after week and never appear to be addressed. When a team can't even practice something as basic as defending or taking a corner, how can you expect them to improve in other areas? It's like hoping someone will get better at being some kind of professional computer hacker when they repeatedly can't even remember their own password.
That made me chuckle. :)

Son

Grade so far: E

Only reason I didn’t grade Ole an ‘F’ is because we are still in the cups with a slither of a top 4 chance and he’s done ok with our summer signings and youth development.

I can’t forgive some of the results to obviously inferior opposition.

Maguire I really enjoy watching because of his all-round game but best thing about this season so far is Greenwoods cameos and Rashfords electric form.

AaronRedDevil

Honestly, after this half of the season. I kinda don't want United to be in the top 6 this season. Do like Chelsea a few years ago. No pressure, just focus on the league and have a bit more time to train to be better. It would probably look better anyway then being in the EL.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
This is a sad thread. The lowering of standards has been pathetic.

Can I politely remind you that we finished 2nd, 6 points ahead of Liverpool, 18 fecking months ago!

We are not going forward, we are going backwards. What is wrong with some of you? Ole is not doing a good job, he's doing a very very bad job. We are 8th in the league, are you kidding me? My God.

It's all ok though, because we are playing a few academy graduates. Everything is fine because we have are culture back, with plenty of passion! Am I right fellas!?

feck your passion. It's in United's culture to win trophies, not play academy players. The 2008 CL winning team had 2 academy graduates starting, that's it. This fecking obsession with our academy is taking the club backwards. We were very very very fortunate with the class of 92, stop letting them cloud you judgement.

As for the grade - F, simple as that. The wins over Chelsea, Spurs and City prevent it being a G. 8th place in December is completely unacceptable for Manchester United. Get your head out of the sand and stop drinking the Ole kool aid.

Last edited:

Irwin99

5th in league with outside chance for 4th. All the teams from 4 to 8th have serious weaknesses and whichever can put a good run together will be 4th. We have as good o shot as anyone with pogba back and maybe a good addition in January.

I don't see us getting by city in the league cup. I think we have a better chance in uefa.

I still support Ole.

Was expecting more people to argue for time and focus on some of the positive aspects of this season. Thanks for adding some balance. The quality of the league in general is hard to assess- either the lower teams have gotten much better or the big clubs have gotten much worse (excluding Liverpool and Man City who are playing well below their standard) . Either way it's not out of the question that any of the big clubs could go on a big winning run.

Surprised January signings haven't been mentioned more with regard to expectations. I've predicted we'd get either 0 or 1 transfer done in January and that's not necessarily a criticism as it's a notoriously tough time to do business (Maybe Ed should have you know, done MORE business in the summer so that this wasn't necessary but hey, whatever).

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
I'm a bit too optimistic at times so before a ball was kicked I thought top four to be a reasonably achievable target. I assumed city and Liverpool to be a step or two above the rest whilst we could battle with an unimpressive arsenal, out of sorts spurs and lampards new Chelsea for the remaining two places.

Now top four would be a big achievement. Leicester have likely taken that third spot and our relentless inconsistency fills me with less hope.

jem

I love Ole, and after a big win against the likes of City, I allow sentimentality to creep in and imagine how truly beautiful it would be to see him lift a trophy for us (and it truly would be.) But I don't see how anyone can look past losing to the likes of Bournemouth, Newcastle, Watford, Crystal Palace and West Ham (in the first half of the season no less,) and be satisfied in any way.

The summer was underwhelming with a thus-far overrated haul of players (James is a prospect, AWB looks solid, and Maguire has disappointed) and the season has been false start after false start. We are now in danger of losing the one truly class player we have (Pogba), adding yet another position to be addressed in the transfer market next summer, thereby allowing other clubs the opportunity to fleece Ed Woodward in the same way they did by getting him to wildly overpay for the likes of Fred and Maguire.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Excuse last season when we were winning: good squad, Mourinho couldn't get the best out of them

Excuse last season when we were losing: poor fitness, need a preseason

Excuse earlier this season: no Martial and Pogba

Excuse now: culture's great (whatever the feck that means), youngsters look good, just need a few more windows

Lentwood

We are pretty much where I thought we would be - albeit I’m surprised at the teams we’ve picked points up against compared with the teams we’ve dropped points against

We desperately need a CF and a #10 and to give Romero a run in goal

Drainy

This is a sad thread. The lowering of standards has been pathetic.

Can I politely remind you that we finished 2nd, 6 points ahead of Liverpool, 18 fecking months ago!

We are not going forward, we are going backwards. What is wrong with some of you? Ole is not doing a good job, he's doing a very very bad job. We are 8th in the league, are you kidding me? My God.

It's all ok though, because we are playing a few academy graduates. Everything is fine because we have are culture back, with plenty of passion! Am I right fellas!?

feck your passion. It's in United's culture to win trophies, not play academy players. The 2008 CL winning team had 2 academy graduates starting, that's it. This fecking obsession with our academy is taking the club backwards. We were very very very fortunate with the class of 92, stop letting them cloud you judgement.

As for the grade - F, simple as that. The wins over Chelsea, Spurs and City prevent it being a G. 8th place in December is completely unacceptable for Manchester United. Get your head out of the sand and stop drinking the Ole kool aid.
:lol: unbelievable.

We've been averaging 6th since Fergie left, and we've wasted a hell of a lot of money doing that. The team that finished 2nd collapsed the following year ffs.

It's the people who want to keep sacking the manager and building through overspending in a broken transfer market that are pathetic. Yes do that over and over in the hope that we get lucky because 'we're united, we win things', just feck off with that short termist bullshit. The squad was broken, we're lacking so much in the age range where we're supposed to have leaders because of the bullshit that you are wanting. Understanding the position and working to build your way out of it isn't accepting mediocrity in spite of the short term pain.

Even if Ole ends up not being good enough as a coach, the squad will be a lot better for the transition and re-balancing job he's doing. Then we can continue building on it in a way that getting mercenary players in doesn't allow you to.

The season has been a D though. Without injuries to Pogba and Martial we'd have been better off. We went into the season with a lack of cover and no proper striker or number 10 knowing the risks, but the transfer market is broken. We need to be smart with our money and only sign the right players.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Mid season assessment obviously isn't a good one. With that being said, I can still see some light at the end of the tunnel. If I look at our stats so far this season we are 5th in shots taken (11.1 per game) and 4th in shots on target (5.7per game). To put that into perspective, Liverpool is 2nd in shots taken (11.9 per game) and 2nd in shots on target (6.4 per game). Where we are stuggling is with our finishing. We only score 1.4 goals per game with those shots while Liverpool scores 2.5 goal per game. We create a lot of chances that we just don't finish. People say that we have trouble breaking teams down, but we do get a lot of chances in a game. We just aren't clinical. With that being said, I believe the top 4 is still in site. Chelsea are struggling and Leicester will start dropping points as well. City and Liverpool will finish in the top 2 and I really hope Liverpool starts dropping points. Their record right now is unbelievable. They are on pace for roughly 109 points. They can't possible keep this going, however, it is unfortunately their title to lose. Mind you, if anyone can choke when the league title is within their grasp it's Liverpool and that would be epic if they managed to let it "slip" again...

Irwin99

The season has been a D though. Without injuries to Pogba and Martial we'd have been better off. We went into the season with a lack of cover and no proper striker or number 10 knowing the risks, but the transfer market is broken. We need to be smart with our money and only sign the right players.
I'm not sure that we'd have that many more points to be honest. The Pogba-Mctom midfield looked pretty dire at times at the start of the season and we took 5 points from our first 4 games and that's with Pogba and Martial starting.

Obviously Pogba is our best player but playing him in a deep midfield like he did in preseason and early season just looks like it creates as many problems as it solves regarding the balance of the team. I hope and pray Ole uses him in an advanced position from now on and not as part of a midfield 2.

Irwin99

Exactly halfway now and we're somehow only 4 points off 4th :lol: There's reasons for optimism and some legitimate concerns too.

lysglimt

Scout
I have been pro-OGS and I haven't changed my mind. And to clarify, that doesn't mean that I am convinced he is the right person, I just Think he has done enough positive things to be allowed to stay on for at least this season.

Should we have had 3-4-5 Points more - yes, and I still Believe we would have had those Points without our injury-crisis in the beginning of the season, but we need to get 2-3 quality players in now in january. If we keep Pogba, get at least one creative midfielder in, I Think we can get top-4 or at least get pretty Close to it.

What has been the biggest let-down for me is our defense. I expected it to be the attackers that could cause problems - but the fact is that James, Rashford, Martial and Greenwood have scored 23 goals between them which is quite good. But we do not score enough goals from our defenders and midfielders. Defensively though - we have made too many mistakes. And the one major concern for me is that we hardly give any chances away but when we do, we are punished.

But the signs are positive to me:

The first 9 games: 2-4-3 and GD 10-9

The next 10 games: 5-3-2 and GD 20-14

Of course 7 games in 19 matches isn't good enough - but I expect us to improve in the 2nd half of the season.

Irwin99

I have been pro-OGS and I haven't changed my mind. And to clarify, that doesn't mean that I am convinced he is the right person, I just Think he has done enough positive things to be allowed to stay on for at least this season.

Should we have had 3-4-5 Points more - yes, and I still Believe we would have had those Points without our injury-crisis in the beginning of the season, but we need to get 2-3 quality players in now in january. If we keep Pogba, get at least one creative midfielder in, I Think we can get top-4 or at least get pretty Close to it.

What has been the biggest let-down for me is our defense. I expected it to be the attackers that could cause problems - but the fact is that James, Rashford, Martial and Greenwood have scored 23 goals between them which is quite good. But we do not score enough goals from our defenders and midfielders. Defensively though - we have made too many mistakes. And the one major concern for me is that we hardly give any chances away but when we do, we are punished.

But the signs are positive to me:

The first 9 games: 2-4-3 and GD 10-9

The next 10 games: 5-3-2 and GD 20-14

Of course 7 games in 19 matches isn't good enough - but I expect us to improve in the 2nd half of the season.
I was wrong about this in preseason though I still think we should have added another squad striker (who can also play RW for added depth). We've done better than expected in terms of goals scored.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Improve, improve and improve in pretty much every aspect.

Attacking, defending, transition, movement, creativity, transfers, scouting, coaching. Do this or just stay in mid table and get sacked or sold to Inter.

Banana Republic

Exactly halfway now and we're somehow only 4 points off 4th :lol: There's reasons for optimism and some legitimate concerns too.
Had we not drawn at home to Everton and not lost at Watford, we’d be in 4th after today’s win.

We need to get a consistent run of wins going.
Next up in the EPL......
(A) Burnley
(A) Arsenal
(H) Norwich
before...
(A) Liverpool
then...
(H) Burnley
(H) Wolves
(A) Chelsea
(H) Watford

If we can win those next 3, we can play the scousers for pride and then attack the next 4 fixtures to displace Chelsea.
Chelsea are spluttering and we can hope Maureen won’t get a steady rhythm out of Spurs.

Amerifan

We’re higher in the table and still in more competitions than I expected at the start of the season.

elánius

We’re higher in the table and still in more competitions than I expected at the start of the season.
Well, I expected top 6, so fifth is kind of ok, but it is only because this season so called BIG SIX no longer exists. Its only BIG TWO plus Leicester. Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs and MUTD, those teams are in dier place waiting for some miracle and so far Chelsea are at the top of them, but it wont last much longer with their style of play.

Last season with 31 points after 21 games we would have been 7/8th - 13 points from top4, season 2017/18 8th - 10 points from top4 and season 2016/17 8th - 13 points from top4. So we are definitely not above our expectations, only all of our rivals are having same horrible season like we are, most of them even worse. Sometimes I actually hope that Wolves or Sheffield will utilize it and make it to top4 instead of those billion dollars clubs, but that probably wont happen.

John Blund

I'm still expecting 4th or a win in EL, no more, no less. Else we need to look at the managing team. Yes, we're rebuilding, but we need to start building this season, starting off with securing that CL spot.

I'm still behind Ole, as I've been all season. I don't believe in sacking managers who hasn't lost the dressing room. And he's giving players more time than I would do - and it seems like it's paying off. Now I rate McT as one of the best CDM in PL. 18 months ago, I didn't believe he would even be good enough to play for a top side in PL. Even Pereira, one I've been very negative towards, has shown signs of being an actual footballer in the last few games. I still hope we bring in someone better this summer...

spiriticon

We are challenging for top four and still in all the cups so I guess it's bang on par for expectations.

Doubt we'll win any of the cups and be IN the top 4 at the end of the season though.

This team hasn't got the mental bottle to win trophies or gain league places.

OleTheGreat

Let's get straight to the talking points, We definitely need reinforcements in the Jan window. I cannot see us move up any further in the table or go any further in the cups without proper midfielders. I am completely open to not buying attacking and defensive players for now because we can make do with what we have although i hope we can get a decent right side player up front from the window but i guess if we manage to get Maddison or one of the midfielders that can play a number 10 role, i think we'll see a lot intent from our boys. We are so disjointed in the front because when Fred or Matic or even Mctominay found or recovered the ball in mid-field, they can to always recycle the ball because they couldn't find Lingard or Periera as they always wandered off their position. We need someone who can play behind Martial and link up play between Marcus, Antony and Dany boy. Pogba is perfect for the role but since he's not coming back any sooner, we need at least one signing who will be a starter on this team. When Pogba does come back, we can revert to a 4-3-3 and convert the 10 into an 8 and keep the charge high. I think Fred can play a little further up alongside Pogba and Mctominay can sit back and play the ball forward. Right now, we're using the 4-2-3-1 but i think it doesn't suit our players and we're most certainly not doing anything to get the creative juices flowing. This performance against Arsenal could've changed on so many levels, had we had a player who could just dribble past one players and send in a cutting edge pass. Our forward players are getting lethargic because we're always playing behind them and when they run past the opponent defense, there is no one to actually realize it.

Bring in reinforcements if you want to see any kind of consistency from the team, as this team cannot keep it together by themselves. I think Ole has come a long way from when he started at the club, i still think he can go longer if he makes a few right decisions with the setup, team selections and substitutes. I still think Top4 is happening but that again depends on what happens in the transfer window and our true form.

Crashoutcassius

We look like we will finish around chelsea and spurs, 4-6th, which is about what you would expect with this group of players, maybe even better than you would expect.

It feels like we could have done more to boost the squad in summer and feels like we must do something now, so that is a disgrace if it doesn't happen. Ole making it clear he wants players but the club are slow to react, players should be in the pipe and ready for the next match