Middle East Politics

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Turkey has unsurprisingly violated the ceasefire and started shelling again.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
Well without getting into the debate over the level of Assad’s responsibility for what has happened, I’d say that even in your generous evaluation he still comes off looking worse than the SDF to the average Westerner.

As for Kurdish ambitions, it’s true they have over-stepped their boundaries in certain areas, but at the same time they are surrounded by hostile states and still without a state of their own. So what you and @syrian_scholes may see as land-grabs in Kirkuk or Deir Ezzor, they probably feel is, at a minimum, a guarantee of being taken seriously at any future negotiation table. In any case however, whatever irredentist ambitions they have had have been ruthlessly defeated time and again.

I’d also add that while you guys see the Syrian and Iraqi states as sacrosanct (correct me if I’m wrong, just the impression I’ve picked up here), they lack legitimacy in many Western eyes. Ironically this is primarily because we’ve had almost a century of Arab nationalists telling us that the borders were imposed by Western imperialists and that they’re therefore illegitimate and need to be corrected. So when the Kurds argue along the same lines they tend to have a ready audience in the West (although those same Arab nationalists generally tell them to get fecked).
Again it's easy for you to say because they are not taking a part of your country, you only see their point of view and disregard the point of view of the other side, I also noticed no one discuss all the bad things they did, and them being a media darling atm it's not surprising.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Again it's easy for you to say because they are not taking a part of your country, you only see their point of view and disregard the point of view of the other side, I also noticed no one discuss all the bad things they did, and them being a media darling atm it's not surprising.
I’m giving what I believe is the general Western perspective, which is what I thought you specifically asked for, i.e. “why would anybody sympathize with the Kurds?” My own view is a bit more nuanced, I’ve criticized the Kurds on here in the past for over-stretching in Azaz, Jarablous and Raqqa, for human rights abuses, and for unfurling a massive banner of Ocalan in downtown Raqqa.

(e.g. see here, here, here, here, here)

However, ultimately in this horrible civil war they’ve been the least problematic element from a Western perspective. And as I stated above, they have explicitly not made any claims to independence from Syria, or as you put it “take part of your country.”

On that topic though, how do you feel about the Turkish army now occupying large areas of your country (not to mention Alexandretta/Hatay since 1939)? Does it bother you when Turkish TV shows maps of Turkey including much of northern Syria, while Erdogan speaks about reclaiming territory lost in WW1?

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
I’m giving what I believe is the general Western perspective, which is what I thought you specifically asked for, i.e. “why would anybody sympathize with the Kurds?” My own view is a bit more nuanced, I’ve criticized the Kurds on here in the past for over-stretching in Azaz, Jarablous and Raqqa, for human rights abuses, and for unfurling a massive banner of Ocalan in downtown Raqqa.

(e.g. see here, here, here, here, here)

However, ultimately in this horrible civil war they’ve been the least problematic element from a Western perspective. And as I stated above, they have explicitly not made any claims to independence from Syria, or as you put it “take part of your country.”

On that topic though, how do you feel about the Turkish army now occupying large areas of your country (not to mention Alexandretta/Hatay since 1939)? Does it bother you when Turkish TV shows maps of Turkey including much of northern Syria, while Erdogan speaks about reclaiming territory lost in WW1?
I'm sorry if you took what I said personally, I wasn't really talking about your view rather I was talking about the general view here, I know they made no claims of Independence but you'd be a fool not to think they are not building up to it.

The Kurds also betrayed the trust of the people, when it all started they were going on protests and helping out with the revolution and then suddenly they cozied up to the regime.

I'm not not totally against Turkish side taking part of the land temporarily if it ultimately leads to a safe zone that civilians can go to for the remainder of the war, also no matter what the regime and rebels did, they Kurds are taking out on innocent civilians when they take their lands so I don't agree with the lesser of 2 evils, in fact I'd rather any other side to be in the area than kurds.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
What does that have to do with their ambitions to take what is not theirs? Saddam was a criminal and his actions does not justify the actions of their leaders to cause unrest and instability in Iraq/Syria. Not even that, but trying to take more land from the central government.
Nothing, but as noted to SS, it's a big reason why there's a lot of sympathy for them as well as understanding why an oppressed group that has been subjected to genocide would want their own state.

As has also been noted, the borders we know in the ME began with Sykes-Picot and are not representative of anything other than western spheres of influence.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
Nothing, but as noted to SS, it's a big reason why there's a lot of sympathy for them as well as understanding why an oppressed group that has been subjected to genocide would want their own state.

As has also been noted, the borders we know in the ME began with Sykes-Picot and are not representative of anything other than western spheres of influence.
So if I suffered a personal tragedy I can expect sympathy if I want to take my neighbors house?

Carolina Red

Staff
So if I suffered a personal tragedy I can expect sympathy if I want to take my neighbors house?
Well... you'd kinda need to include that your neighbor's house is artifically larger than it was supposed to be because the contractor changed the contract and took the materials that were supposed to be used to build your house and used them to build your neighbor's.

I dunno... the analogy gets messy, but so does the whole history of the Sykes-Picot, Sevres, and Lausanne treaties.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
Well... you'd kinda need to include that your neighbor's house is artifically larger than it was supposed to be because the contractor changed the contract and took the materials that were supposed to be used to build your house and used them to build your neighbor's.

I dunno... the analogy gets messy, but so does the whole history of the Sykes-Picot, Sevres, and Lausanne treaties.
It's not though, the neighbor is saying that to drive their agenda.

My personal experience with the kurds is my Aunt was married to one, he passed away a few years ago and was a great man, but him and his kids and his family are all against seperation from Syria, as is most Kurds in Damascus (over 500 thousands easily).

I sympathize with Kurds, I really do, as I said I wouldn't mind if they actually take the part that they actually populate which is a lot smaller than what they have now, they can't just take Raqqa, Aleppo's suburbs, and Der Ezzour, for Syria as a small poor country those are vital to keep and they are rightfully ours.

2cents

Scout
As has also been noted, the borders we know in the ME began with Sykes-Picot and are not representative of anything other than western spheres of influence
Saying what?

The history of Sykes-Picot / Sevres / Lausanne is messy. The western powers created a massive problem when they broke up the Ottoman Empire.
On this topic, there is a new wave of scholarship currently emerging which is questioning just how artificial the borders are, and the importance of Sykes-Picot. The dominant theme seems to be that the role played by native elites has been overlooked due to the disproportional emphasis on the imperialists. This is a good two-part article considering the case of Iraq:

https://www.jadaliyya.com/Details/3...and-the-Legend-of-the-Artificial-State-Part-1

https://www.jadaliyya.com/Details/3...and-the-Legend-of-the-Artificial-State-Part-2

One of the burning questions in Middle Eastern studies has been how, if the states and their borders lack legitimacy, have they endured so long, even surviving three explicit attempts to undo the post-WW1 system. I think part of the answer lies in this new approach.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
Saying what?

The history of Sykes-Picot / Sevres / Lausanne is messy. The western powers created a massive problem when they broke up the Ottoman Empire.
I agree, best thing for the area would be if Jordan, Syria, Lebanon, Palestine, and Iraq actually unite under a democratic leadership somehow, never going to happen though.

Giggsyking

I agree, best thing for the area would be if Jordan, Syria, Lebanon, Palestine, and Iraq actually unite under a democratic leadership somehow, never going to happen though.
I disagree on Iraq. First of all Iraqies will not accept sharing the wealth of their land with the neighbors :D. Second, Iraq is a 7000 years old civilization and I doubt the people would agree on being part of a bigger united area rather than considering themselves as a nation. Third, the majority of the country is Shia and I doubt they would agree on being under the rule of a Sunni leadership again.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I disagree on Iraq. First of all Iraqies will not accept sharing the wealth of their land with the neighbors :D. Second, Iraq is a 7000 years old civilization and I doubt the people would agree on being part of a bigger united area rather than considering themselves as a nation. Third, the majority of the country is Shia and I doubt they would agree on being under the rule of a Sunni leadership again.
Asian union like in the EU ?

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
It's called Sham, we were all one once, it's about the bigger picture rather than wealth.

Giggsyking

It's called Sham, we were all one once, it's about the bigger picture rather than wealth.
Iraq was never part of the Levante or Al sham. Apart of the Assyrian empire with its center in the Iraqi city Mousul when they were united with the other levant states, Iraq has always been a separate state.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
Iraq was never part of the Levante or Al sham. Apart of the Assyrian empire with its center in the Iraqi city Mousul when they were united with the other levant states, Iraq has always been a separate state.
While it's true but still there's a sense of unity there.

2cents

Scout

Ballache

Supports
Martial
I'm good thanks. I'm all for good relations with everyone but I'd like to keep my identity.

Giggsyking

Seems to be some refugees getting through:

I'm 100% with accepting refugees in Northern Iraq as those people have no place to go but I am absolutely against any SDF members getting into Iraq.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
It wouldn’t work anyway. Most those countries can’t even treat their minorities with dignity, what makes you think a federal system will work. It will collapse almost immediately.
I know it would never work, but taking offense from a hypothetical situation and that would actually improve the area and saying thing like "oh I would lose my identity" is beyond idiotic, as if Syrian people would agree to unite with the Lebanese after the way they acted with our refugees.

TheReligion

Abusive
The US look like complete and utter idiots regarding Syria. Oh how the mighty have fallen. Headless chickens spring to mind.

Giggsyking

The protests today in Baghdad was massive and has been bloody. Many innocent people fell today. I could post pics of the protests but I am too sad to do that after seeing pics of the people who fell.

2cents

Scout
Big* protests in Iran again tonight.

(Edit): maybe widespread would be a better description at this stage. Seems a spontaneous response to the government hiking up gas prices.

Hanks

^ Yes...and now into the second night.

Some of of the chants: "Reza Shah, god bless your soul", "No to Gaza, No to Lebanon, My life is only for Iran" and there is a new chant which in English roughly translates to: "We don't have money or gas for ourselves, who the f*** cares about Palestine"

Banners of Khomeini and Khamenei being burnt and ripped. 9 dead so far.

Interesting that protests also happening in various places in Tehran and Tabriz (this is a major city that was almost completely absent in the protests of 2 years ago).

Unprecedented cold weather and snow in Tehran now too, but people have parked their cars on main squares and blocked the road. Strength to them!

Raoul

Admin
Staff
^ Yes...and now into the second night.

Some of of the chants: "Reza Shah, god bless your soul", "No to Gaza, No to Lebanon, My life is only for Iran" and there is a new chant which in English roughly translates to: "We don't have money or gas for ourselves, who the f*** cares about Palestine"

Banners of Khomeini and Khamenei being burnt and ripped. 9 dead so far.

Interesting that protests also happening in various places in Tehran and Tabriz (this is a major city that was almost completely absent in the protests of 2 years ago).

Unprecedented cold weather and snow in Tehran now too, but people have parked their cars on main squares and blocked the road. Strength to them!
What is driving the protests ? Economics ? Corruption ?

Hanks

What is driving the protests ? Economics ? Corruption ?
The regime hiked the gas prices by 300% overnight 2 days ago and that's why caused the protests to initially erupt. Maybe it's the sign of them running out of money and sanctions really hitting them hard?

but overall, it's hard to put to word how awful they are. I always say Assad is like Switzerland compared to those who rule in Iran, at least Syrians had some social liberties and freedoms which Iranians have been deprived of for 40 years. Luckily for the Ayatollahs, they've always had the House of Saud religious insanity to use as cover and make themselves look better.

Hence why the most common and popular chants in the protests are people cherishing the memories of Reza Shah and to a lesser extent his son (Funnily Reza shah was a much more ruthless dictator than Mohammad Reza Shah, his son). People don't mind a dictator, as long as it's a competent dictator that improves people's lives and actually cares about the well-being of the citizens. No one is demanding Finland style liberal democracy, just some basic competence, basic needs being met, and Iranian resources used to improve the lives of Iranians (You could say it's Iranian version of IRAN FIRST!") and more social freedoms.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
The regime hiked the gas prices by 300% overnight 2 days ago and that's why caused the protests to initially erupt. Maybe it's the sign of them running out of money and sanctions really hitting them hard?

but overall, it's hard to put to word how awful they are. I always say Assad is like Switzerland compared to those who rule in Iran, at least Syrians had some social liberties and freedoms which Iranians have been deprived of for 40 years. Luckily for the Ayatollahs, they've always had the House of Saud religious insanity to use as cover and make themselves look better.

Hence why the most common and popular chants in the protests are people cherishing the memories of Reza Shah and to a lesser extent his son (Funnily Reza shah was a much more ruthless dictator than Mohammad Reza Shah, his son). People don't mind a dictator, as long as it's a competent dictator that improves people's lives and actually cares about the well-being of the citizens. No one is demanding Finland style liberal democracy, just some basic competence, basic needs being met, and Iranian resources used to improve the lives of Iranians (You could say it's Iranian version of IRAN FIRST!") and more social freedoms.
Saw some of the grim footage on twitter. Can't imagine it will be long before Drumpf sticks his beak into this, especially as it would provide for a welcome diversion from impeachment news.

Foxbatt

They had one but unfortunately for the Iranians the British and the Americans got rid of him and put the puppet Shah in his place.