Mike Dean

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
But that’s a bullshit rule, cos it’s either a foul block or not. It shouldn’t suddenly change because he was offside before/as the ball was kicked. He didn’t effect play.
Its impacting an opponent from an offside position... Bit dumb yeah, especially with some things that aren't considered to be impacting... But it's the rule. We benefitted from it vs Villa in the cup.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Its impacting an opponent from an offside position... Bit dumb yeah, especially with some things that aren't considered to be impacting... But it's the rule. We benefitted from it vs Villa in the cup.
And a fat lot of good it did us. Harry didn’t wrestle the Burnley player, it wasn’t aggressive or dangerous. It’s a stupid call and I’m bloody frustrated.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
And a fat lot of good it did us. Harry didn’t wrestle the Burnley player, it wasn’t aggressive or dangerous. It’s a stupid call and I’m bloody frustrated.
Yeah it's annoying, but I can at least see the logic in it... Plus we scored straight after anyway so it kinda didn't matter.

It's the second one that's far more annoying. That's never a foul

Plant0x84

Yeah it's annoying, but I can at least see the logic in it... Plus we scored straight after anyway so it kinda didn't matter.

It's the second one that's far more annoying. That's never a foul
Yup. Agree on the second goal. Shame for Rapha, it was a great header. You could see what it meant to him by his celebration. It kinda set the tone for the evening tbh.

lsd

The Oracle
What was he doing with the Maguire yellow card?

He seemed to take ages over such an obvious foul before suddenly going oh yeah better blow my whistle and do something

What was he doing with the Maguire yellow card?

He seemed to take ages over such an obvious foul before suddenly going oh yeah better blow my whistle and do something
The way he had refereed the game i was expecting that to be a red, and i think he could definitely have given it as such. It was a stupid challenge and would have been a clear 1v1.

Dean was doing everything he could all game to make it a tight contest and keeping 22 players on the pitch was part of that. As always with him, he thinks he's part of the show.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
He's just incompetent. Most of them are. There is obviously a huge lack of referees because the overall standard is very, very poor. Who would be a referee now though? It's become a cycle. Bad referees officiate games and make mistakes, get abused, potentially good referees have no interest in following their footsteps.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Unfortunately, that part doesn't really matter, as it wasn't a foul. It was offside and he was interfering with play. You don't have to touch anybody or even the ball to be deemed interfering from an offside position. He was just in the way.

The annoying part of that call is that Maguire was shoved into an offside position by two hands in the back. Surely that is the foul, and by the order of events it happened before the offside. I'm not sure what Maguire is really supposed to do there. The Burnley defender has prevent our biggest target from contesting a set piece by pushing him into an offside position. Then it becomes a bit complicated. Should the foul leading to an offside be cancelled out? I don't even know if such an incident is covered by the rules.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
"Dean is now in talks with Riley about a role as a full-time Var next season. Currently the only referee to work exclusively on the monitors at Stockley Park is Lee Mason, who quit as an on-field referee last season." We will never get rid of him.
Was hoping to see him replace Peter Walton on BT and have his own 20mn segment where he makes it all about himself...

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Being the only referee in history to send off Juan Mata is quite the achievement. He's probably got the match report and the red card from that game framed on his mantle.

Plant0x84

Brilliant news.

Now if that Atkinson could follow suit that would be swell.
The article I read (mirror I think - no paywall) said that Atkinson, Jon moss and Kevin friend are over 50 and on borrowed time. If they all go at the same time as Dean that’s reason enough for a street party and open top bus parade.

Flying high

I bet he's dreaming of a hattrick of red cards at OT for his final game. Cnut.

RedDevil@84

The article I read (mirror I think - no paywall) said that Atkinson, Jon moss and Kevin friend are over 50 and on borrowed time. If they all go at the same time as Dean that’s reason enough for a street party and open top bus parade.
They will all become VAR refs. And will just keep approving whatever on field refs decide.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Anyone listen to his interview? What a disgrace.

Man-United

He's very poor in Soccer Saturday. "I don't know" he said twice last week on two pen incidents. No use.

He's very poor in Soccer Saturday. "I don't know" he said twice last week on two pen incidents. No use.
I actually have more respect for people who allow themselves to say “I don’t know”.

Football, like life isn’t always black & white, and sometimes it’s best to admit, even as an expert that you don’t have all the answers.

What I do have an issue with though is Dean admitting something many have long since suspected, that fan and manager reaction (think Klopp) and looking after a referee mate on field can sometimes be more important than actually getting a fecking decision right.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I actually have more respect for people who allow themselves to say “I don’t know”.

Football, like life isn’t always black & white, and sometimes it’s best to admit, even as an expert that you don’t have all the answers.

What I do have an issue with though is Dean admitting something many have long since suspected, that fan and manager reaction (think Klopp) and looking after a referee mate on field can sometimes be more important than actually getting a fecking decision right.
They are human. So human mistakes are supposed to be tolerated, because we all make mistakes. However, under the umbrella of VAR where several referees are involved and more time is afforded just to get a decisions right, these aren't instinctual mistakes from a singular human but well thought out clear cut choices. The fact they are still thinking about reactions, politics, criticism means they are too easily controlled, and it's not about being pressured as a person but they are even in on it together, it's built into the culture and thought patterns of these refs, for them to persist with it despite having enough time and peace around them in a VAR room. There is really no excuse.

If they really are that scared of consequences of making a decision, these refs really should embrace VAR because it's a way to stand together as a unit rather than just one individual. They aren't scared of consequences, they want the attention and are playing the game for themselves. A whole new rebuild of referees is needed to clear out this mess completely and get people in who'll contribute in teams and all these new refs need to have integrity and professional attitude as a minimum. It's clear all current refs and people around them are corruptible.

90 + 5min

Anyone listen to his interview? What a disgrace.
Without shadow of a doubt I’m certain we need what I always said We need. Mics and Cam on referees and VAR room.

I don’t know how they can explain us not getting anything from referees. We should have 3 penalties after 2 games. We have been bullied since Fergie left with tons of strange and wierd decisions. We want to hear and see what refs are doing.