Mike Dean

paulscholes18

Need to bring back the age limit for refs no way should a 51 year old be able to ref a premier league game

Coleyoscar

Can't wait to hear the ex-ref media pundits giving their 'professional's opinion that Mike Dean got all the big decisions right. The standard of refereeing in the Premier League is appalling.

SAFMUTD

Being honest he should had gave a red card for that foul on Daniel James and at least gone to Var in Martial’s disallowed goal.

Fitchett

Atkinson is a homie. Oliver is by far the worst. He's either incompetent or hell bent on pissing us off.
Agreed Catt. Dean was a disgrace tonight and Oliver was the tw*t on the VAR who chose not to overrule his "clear and obvious errors "

Utdstar01

He was feckin horrendous. It was that bad. The red card that should have been. The William's tackle then Fred's yellow for shooting into an open net not even a couple of seconds after the alleged 'foul'. Absolutely rancid performance.

cyberman

Ot
Being honest he should had gave a red card for that foul on Daniel James and at least gone to Var in Martial’s disallowed goal.
It cant go to VAR because he blew the fecking whistle. He took VAR out of it.

Chipper

Adulterer.
I think I'm on a plain of zen-like serenity or something as he didn't really irk me at all tonight. Nor did Sean Dyche (seeing that thread now).

Josep Dowling

I think I'm on a plain of zen-like serenity or something as he didn't really irk me at all tonight. Nor did Sean Dyche (seeing that thread now).
I didn’t think he was that bad tonight. The Martial disallowed goal I didn’t get. There was the handball which stopped a counter which to me is a clear yellow.

The rest for me are 50/50 decisions.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
You must be mate. Good for you.

Thought he did ok in the first half, however he fell of his ass in the second half. No excuse for those decisions. Just terrible officiating. The game was just waiting to be turned into Spurs-Chelsea with Clattenburg, that is exactly what would have happened If United had tried to play their game back at them. We probably would have gotten two red cards and lost the game while Burnley decided to throw themselves to the ground from every challenge and from that point on get soft free kicks to "protect the game".

The refs in this league is really weak. I mean, you have one job, you can't do a bit of research on teams that try to fool you and come up with a plan that might ensure a fair even game, or at the least make sure your not fooled beyond belief week after week.

POF

Dean wasn't perfect tonight but claiming that Martial didn't foul for the disallowed goal and that he should have had a pen is ridiculous. Way too biased there. Taylor and Bardsley could easily have gone for 2 yellows each and maybe even a straight red for the one on James but there is no need to go OTT
The major issue with the Martial disallowed goal is that it didn't go to VAR.

Personally, I don't think it was a foul but it was certainly a debatable one. It was certainly nowhere near as clear cut as it was treated. Let the goal go in and check it.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
The major issue with the Martial disallowed goal is that it didn't go to VAR.

Personally, I don't think it was a foul but it was certainly a debatable one. It was certainly nowhere near as clear cut as it was treated. Let the goal go in and check it.
What about the penalty incident? He didn't blow his whistle, and it didn't seem like VAR spent much time reviewing it? I'd like to see a replay of it. Looks unrealistic that the attacker would go down in that situation clean through on goal form Rashfords pass. They didn't really show the replay much so hard to say for sure. Suspect.

Alejandro Angel

You must be mate. Good for you.

Thought he did ok in the first half, however he fell of his ass in the second half. No excuse for those decisions. Just terrible officiating. The game was just waiting to be turned into Spurs-Chelsea with Clattenburg, that is exactly what would have happened If United had tried to play their game back at them. We probably would have gotten two red cards and lost the game while Burnley decided to throw themselves to the ground from every challenge and from that point on get soft free kicks to "protect the game".

The refs in this league is really weak. I mean, you have one job, you can't do a bit of research on teams that try to fool you and come up with a plan that might ensure a fair even game, or at the least make sure your not fooled beyond belief week after week.
Oliver is my least favourite ref, I have been scared for life with a biased referee in my childhood (he admitted it to me as an adult) so fairness is a big quality in a ref. Tonight was not fair Ashley Barnes was his usual self throwing his body about both to harm and simulate. Ben Mee and Bardsley really should have seen red for a couple of challenges.
James and now Williams have been yellow carded for dives (I know Var is not supposed to get involved but surely that would be the perfect way to get people onboard with var).
If the Everton goal could stand then why not Martial's if it had been the other way they would still be taking about it

POF

What about the penalty incident? He didn't blow his whistle, and it didn't seem like VAR spent much time reviewing it? I'd like to see a replay of it. Looks unrealistic that the attacker would go down in that situation clean through on goal form Rashfords pass. They didn't really show the replay much so hard to say for sure. Suspect.
I agree. Looked a penalty to me too. Martial was through.

It seems really easy for refs to make those calls against this United team. The lack of protest from the United players was again really disappointing.

Could you imagine a Fergie team reacting like that? 5 of them would surround the ref over an incorrect award of a throw in.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Wasn't a penalty IMO.

But Martial's goal should have stood I think.

Charlie Foley

I agree. Looked a penalty to me too. Martial was through.

It seems really easy for refs to make those calls against this United team. The lack of protest from the United players was again really disappointing.

Could you imagine a Fergie team reacting like that? 5 of them would surround the ref over an incorrect award of a throw in.
Remember they asked Keane why he kept chasing the ref after the penalty at home to Boro and he said something like “well he didn’t have to keep running away”

POF

Remember they asked Keane why he kept chasing the ref after the penalty at home to Boro and he said something like “well he didn’t have to keep running away”
It was hilarious but even more so because Keane was being completely serious.

It might not be in the spirit of the game but referees thought twice before awarding a dubious decision against that United team. Now, they are practically encouraged to do so.

With VAR it's even more important. If a player reaction indicates a questionable decision, they will check it more closely. It's just human nature.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Oliver is my least favourite ref, I have been scared for life with a biased referee in my childhood (he admitted it to me as an adult) so fairness is a big quality in a ref. Tonight was not fair Ashley Barnes was his usual self throwing his body about both to harm and simulate. Ben Mee and Bardsley really should have seen red for a couple of challenges.
James and now Williams have been yellow carded for dives (I know Var is not supposed to get involved but surely that would be the perfect way to get people onboard with var).
If the Everton goal could stand then why not Martial's if it had been the other way they would still be taking about it
Fully agree mate. The inconsistency makes you wonder. Football fans are fickle and so are the media, so it could just be incompetence and natural reactions based on other factors. However, from a neutral perspective I honestly do think the integrity of PL football is compromised and should be under a microscope. I think it would be too easy for people in charge to be dishonest, and the example being set with the protectiveness of refs and the closed inner circle dealings with no repercussions leaves a bad taste. I don't fully trust the product, and If I wasn't a fan of a specific team I probably wouldn't buy it. The excitement comes from competition, if it can be rigged it is utterly pointless. The average viewer is consistently left speechless, then forget about it or ignore it until next time.

Yes. That bothers me. But you have to remember we have had complaints about surrounding the refs and have been fined for it. We have been made an example out of post SAF by the league... honestly.. I see no other reason why we would do nothing out on the pitch to contest the madness? Other teams get away with things we aren't allowed to. There is different rules for different teams. Once in a while is expected, you can forgive that but you start to see certain refs repeatedly refereeing the game in a questionable manner.. it is suspicious and rather unbelievable that they aren't getting looked into for it but rather excused and hidden. New rules each game. We was fined for reaction against Oliver when he made up a rule that next one to foul Hazard got a red card :lol: They rat feck us

Edit: I hope this makes it to the redcafe goes into meltdown thread on rawk if there is one. Feels like it might belong if i'm being critical.

Last edited:

POF

Fully agree mate. The inconsistency makes you wonder. Football fans are fickle and so are the media, so it could just be incompetence and natural reactions based on other factors. However, from a neutral perspective I honestly do think the integrity of PL football is compromised and should be under a microscope. I think it would be too easy for people in charge to be dishonest, and the example being set with the protectiveness of refs and the closed inner circle dealings with no repercussions leaves a bad taste. I don't fully trust the product, and If I wasn't a fan of a specific team I probably wouldn't buy it. The excitement comes from competition, if it can be rigged it is utterly pointless. The average viewer is consistently left speechless, then forget about it or ignore it until next time.

Yes. That bothers me. But you have to remember we have had complaints about surrounding the refs and have been fined for it. We have been made an example out of post SAF by the league... honestly.. I see no other reason why we would do nothing out on the pitch to contest the madness? Other teams get away with things we aren't allowed to. There is different rules for different teams. Once in a while is expected, you can forgive that but you start to see certain refs repeatedly refereeing the game in a questionable manner.. it is suspicious and rather unbelievable that they aren't getting looked into for it but rather excused and hidden. New rules each game. We was fined for reaction against Oliver when he made up a rule that next one to foul Hazard got a red card :lol: They rat feck us

Edit: I hope this makes it to the redcafe goes into meltdown thread on rawk if there is one. Feels like it might belong if i'm being critical.
There's no deliberate bias. Referees are like everyone else and are trying to progress as far as possible in their careers.

The issue when you referee a United game is that United could have 4 blatant penalties not given and then are awarded one that is 50/50, the story will be about the dodgy penalty United were given.

Stats will get bandied about in relation to how often a ref has awarded penalties at Old Trafford. Howard Webb was a "United fan" despite turning down numerous stone wall penalty appeals for United.

I remember the stat about how long it was that an opposition team went without a penalty at Old Trafford. Yet, nobody could name an incident where one should have been awarded.

Refs certainly have no club bias. Most of them think they are the star of the show and care far more about their careers than any club loyalties. But when there's a 50/50 major call in a United game, it's a far easier call to go against United, especially with the shrinking violets in the current squad.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
That yellow for Williams was so stupid, he just guessed it. Williams was fouled couple of times and Burnley fans were getting frustrated, so he just gave free kick to Burnley and gave yellow to Williams.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
Martial barges Tarkowski in the back. Dean blew his whistle so it couldn’t go to VAR. he has to give the decisions as he sees them, he can’t just wait for VAR to maybe overturn it, because that’s then down to ‘clear and obvious errors’.

The Mee challenge on James was a debatable red, but it’s not as obvious as some are making out.

The ‘penalty’ on martial was outside the box.

It seems like because we won and played well, people can’t slate the team so they’re turning on the ref.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Should have stuck to standup comedy.

Josep Dowling

Martial barges Tarkowski in the back. Dean blew his whistle so it couldn’t go to VAR. he has to give the decisions as he sees them, he can’t just wait for VAR to maybe overturn it, because that’s then down to ‘clear and obvious errors’.

The Mee challenge on James was a debatable red, but it’s not as obvious as some are making out.

It seems like because we won and played well, people can’t slate the team so they’re turning on the ref.
I agree in some errors. The Martial push is extremely soft for me. How is that any different to what Van Dijk did against Calvert-Lewis? No penalty was given and was checked by VAR.

The fouls on James weren’t red cards. He does need more protection but our players and manager need to put pressure on the refs otherwise it will keep happening.

Was the Martial penalty that different to what happened in the Spurs v Chelsea game with Gazzaniga? Arguably it’s a 50% but on a replay you can see Martial is looking at the ball whereas the two Burnley players wanted to block Martial’s path. That’s why I think it was a penalty.

HJ12

Unfortunately I'm tech challenged so couldn't get a GIF of this :), but definitely don't agree with you calling this not an obvious red.

On another point, I don;t think people are simply having a moan when slating the ref because he really wasn't great last night. Apart from the big decisions you've pointed out, there were a few other strange calls that added to the heightened levels of irritation. Williams yellow for diving? Constant fouling that went unpunished by the ref? They ended up with 4 yellow cards to our 3 - that's insane over the 90 minutes played as our guys were kicked a lot more than what we dished out.

Last edited:

Idxomer

He was diabolical, the foul against Maguire near the box was farcical in addition to the few other instances mentioned on the thread.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Mee’s challenge was more red than yellow. Given how they couldn’t handle his pace and resorted to foul after foul, Dean gave them carte Blanche to carry on with decisions like that

LDUred

For someone who has been consistently crap at his job for an entire decade, Mike Dean has at least done very well for himself. Not many people can say that.

Foxbatt

He should go back and replace Jasper Carrot and let Jasper Carrot referee.

Fitchett

There's no deliberate bias. Referees are like everyone else and are trying to progress as far as possible in their careers.

The issue when you referee a United game is that United could have 4 blatant penalties not given and then are awarded one that is 50/50, the story will be about the dodgy penalty United were given.

Stats will get bandied about in relation to how often a ref has awarded penalties at Old Trafford. Howard Webb was a "United fan" despite turning down numerous stone wall penalty appeals for United.

I remember the stat about how long it was that an opposition team went without a penalty at Old Trafford. Yet, nobody could name an incident where one should have been awarded.

Refs certainly have no club bias. Most of them think they are the star of the show and care far more about their careers than any club loyalties. But when there's a 50/50 major call in a United game, it's a far easier call to go against United, especially with the shrinking violets in the current squad.
Good points. I have been saying for years that the cause of the problem is the biased media in the UK. It's littered with ex Liverpool players, a point Mourinho made when he was Chelsea manager. The media never mentions when United are hard done to, but highlights every time a questionable decision goes our way. So for referees, it's easier not to give anything United's way, as they won't get hauled up by the media for it.

jus2nang

Supports
Arsenal
Oliver is worse.
For a long time I actually felt that Michael Oliver was our best ref; but his performances in the last season or two have me doubting that.

Atkinson for me has been a dreadful ref, but he has surprised me with some decent performances of late.

Mike Dean however is consistently awful. Definitely the worst ref of the decade in my opinion.

I'm not actually sure if I rate any of our refs to be honest. I feel like they're all horrible. I have no confidence in any of them.