Mike Phelan - Assistant manager

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Appointed as Assistant manager.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
Really good news. Was convinced he was off. Also glad that bs about him being director of football didn't happen.

ArjenIsM3

Good news. Hopefully there's a DoF coming too but I don't see it happening with fecking Woody here.

Stookie

Nurse bell end
Good news but Unfortunately if things don’t improve he’ll be hung out to dry along with OGS. A real shame as well because both of them love this club. Hopefully he can help things turn around.

SER19

Good news, current coaching set up deserves a season, and while we can’t predict much we know they will absolutely have the clubs interests at heart more than anything. In solskjaer, phelan and carrick there’s three guys who have won it all here, so have a right to set standards for players to meet.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
This puts to bed any talk about Ole making a quick exit.

zeekey

I liked his comment last night that Ben Thornleys suit was the best thing about the Huddersfield match.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Why you all so happy about this? I'm not particularly angry about it, just on the fence.

Yet again just hanging on to anything Fergie. He's shown as an individual manager he's not very good. I think we could do better.

Besides, I thought he was the ass man anyway?

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Good to see Phelan has faith in the future for United. Personally I worry that the board won't back the work that needs doing. Had Phelan quit it would've just confirmed those fears. This helps me hope I might be mistaken.

CallyRed

Why you all so happy about this? I'm not particularly angry about it, just on the fence.

Yet again just hanging on to anything Fergie. He's shown as an individual manager he's not very good. I think we could do better.

Besides, I thought he was the ass man anyway?
That was Bad Ass Billy Gunn?

Ciddy

He's been quote vocal too about issues and I hope that he as well as Ole have been given some assurances about the clubs future otherwise I don't think he would have taken the job.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Really good news. Was convinced he was off. Also glad that bs about him being director of football didn't happen.
Aye, because you can really assess whether or not he would be a good DoF I guess? I wonder what that assessment would be based on!

Bojan11

Don’t get the praise he gets on here. Querioz, Kidd and McClaren were miles better as assistant managers. Phelan was assistant manager around the latter part of Fergies era when our football wasn’t as great.

If he was highly rated as some people have it on here he wouldn’t have been in Australia being a director of football for some team. Hull probably would have survived if they had sacked him faster.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Glad it is finally confirmed. Need some stability over the coming months if Ole isn't going to be going anywhere.

TRUERED89

Don’t get the praise he gets on here. Querioz, Kidd and McClaren were miles better as assistant managers. Phelan was assistant manager around the latter part of Fergies era when our football wasn’t as great.

If he was highly rated as some people have it on here he wouldn’t have been in Australia being a director of football for some team. Hull probably would have survived if they had sacked him faster.
He was there during SAF's most successful period, don't think any discrediting is warranted at this stage. Joined 2001 and stayed until SAF left.

SirAF

Ageist
Aye, because you can really assess whether or not he would be a good DoF I guess? I wonder what that assessment would be based on!
His lack of experience as a DoF at a big club? He's obviously a very fine coach and I'm happy to have him as the ass. man, but I'd be very skeptical of him as the DoF at United.

Remember, he was working in Australia before OGS contacted him.

roonster09

Scout

How do you now what work they do? It's not like every assistant has same tasks. For all we know, training is not something Phelan takes care of and he is sort of bridge between manager and coaching staff/players.

Red Devil Rising

Is Quieroz shit then because he spent 8 years managing Iran?

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
No, actually based on the fact that i think he is a great assistant to Ole and i would want him closer to the tactical side of things.

Bojan11

How do you now what work they do? It's not like every assistant has same tasks. For all we know, training is not something Phelan takes care of and he is sort of bridge between manager and coaching staff/players.
Well Fergie delegated his assistants to mostly take control of training in his latter years here. No surprise when Carlos left that our football turned like shit once Phelan was promoted.

Like I said if he’s so highly rated why did it take him long to get a job. Only reason he got the Hull job was due to Bruce leaving and he was the assistant.

I just don’t see the praise or everything’s going to be ok with Phelan confirmed here now. For all we know he was probably the one who recommended Ole to give Jones and Young a new contract considering how long he worked with them.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
His lack of experience as a DoF at a big club? He's obviously a very fine coach and I'm happy to have him as the ass. man, but I'd be very skeptical of him as the DoF at United.

Experience is overrated, tools are more important and more difficult to gain than experience. For me his age was a bigger issue because while teams have no issue appointing inexperienced technical directors or football related directors, they tend to appoint young people that are in their late 30s, early 40s and it makes sense because these people are in touch with the current football environment, they share a lot of things with the people they are supposed to interact with.

I would have been happy to give him a chance if he was surrounded with young people though.

mu4c_20le

This is good news as it shows the club have decided on a plan and are moving forward

Celoti23-81

Let it sink in, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and Mike Phelan are in charge of getting past, Pep, klopp, Pochettino and Emery! How standards have fallen.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

People can’t have it all ways. Half the clubs they want us to replicate have appointed ex-players to do the role who haven’t had extensive experience.

I’ve seen Van der Saar’s name mentioned extensively because Ajax's team pass the ball better than us. He was given a job at Ajax with little/no experience - and that job isn’t even Director of Football! Marc Overmars, their actual DoF, was appointed with no experience either. Mike Phelan has a lot more experience than either in the non-playing/development side of the game. He’s been a successful coach for a long time, been a PL manager, been an ACTUAL DoF before, but admittedly, hasn’t worked in Germany or the trendy leagues like that.

roonster09

Scout
Well Fergie delegated his assistants to mostly take control of training in his latter years here. No surprise when Carlos left that our football turned like shit once Phelan was promoted.

Like I said if he’s so highly rated why did it take him long to get a job. Only reason he got the Hull job was due to Bruce leaving and he was the assistant.

I just don’t see the praise or everything’s going to be ok with Phelan confirmed here now. For all we know he was probably the one who recommended Ole to give Jones and Young a new contract considering how long he worked with them.
Rene was also assistant and we had bunch of coaches who took care of training. It wasn't Phelan alone.

Rene was also highly rated and he barely got any job. Rui Faria and that Klopp's assistant were also highly rated and now they are not in any job.

No one knows what's their job or how big or small role they play.

Bojan11

Is Quieroz shit then because he spent 8 years managing Iran?
Well hes in charge of Columbia now and the job he did with Iran was pretty good considering before he arrived there they qualified for two world cups in their history and he got them to back to back world cups. They were unlucky not to make it to the last 16.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
No, actually based on the fact that i think he is a great assistant to Ole and i would want him closer to the tactical side of things.
Apologies in that case.

pascell

Let it sink in, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and Mike Phelan are in charge of getting past, Pep, klopp, Pochettino and Emery! How standards have fallen.
I've let it in and I'm more than happy with them being the ones to turn it around.

Hope your other 99 posts don't have such a negative spin on things.