Mike Phelan - Assistant manager

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Is there any evidence for that?

Even if so, that is part of coaching (for me). And as far as we know he might be working under similar scope now.
It was mentioned in a documentary, SAF was speaking about how he learned to oversee instead of being in the eye of the cyclon, at the time Phelan would do most of the managerial duties while Meulensteen would take care of coaching and training while he would observe and focus on details. IIRC in that interview SAF gave the example of Nani and how Phelan knew every player's characters and how to handle them.

Last edited:

georgipep

It was mentioned in an documentary, SAF was speaking about how he learned to oversee instead of being in the eye of the cyclon, at the time Phelan would do most of the managerial duties while Meulensteen would take care of coaching and training while he would observe and focus on details. IIRC in that interview SAF gave the example of Nani and how Phelan knew every player's characters and how to handle them.
Great if so, don't see how that is not a valuable coaching skill for Phelan as part of Ole's staff.

DevilRed

Listen geniuses. OGS was at the club for 15 years unbroken he has spent more time around Fergie and also in a more concentrated time span than Phelan.
To be fair, Phelan has been at the club for 20+ years as a player and coach/assistant manager.

He is one of us through and through. Same with OGS of course.

I love the fact that our coaching staff and many of our players have been at the club for long periods of time and understand the DNA.

Andersonson

Phelan is known for great man management. He also comes across as a very good man, but I have no idea how they set up each day at carrington, but he is surely very valued by players and staff. I bet he is also heavily involved in everything. I know he is in the transfer 'team' so he got alot of power.

I'm very happy he's still around. Great football man

Maticmaker

Phelan, is the 'Consigliere' at United, he knows everything about everybody!

OrcaFat

Phelan, is the 'Consigliere' at United, he knows everything about everybody!
That's right. He's like Tom Hagen - in shorts.
Yes! You folks have answered the question “What does Mike Phelan do?”.

I doubt he has any unique or extraordinary skills. His CV probably focuses on his calmness and not being hated by anyone.

He’s just Mike Phelan ffs. But he’s OUR Mike Phelan.

Dread Devil

I really want to see him burst a balloon beside Ole......it would be hilarious....especially if Carrick and Kenna were in on it..

Snuffkin

Feels good to see him in the dugout. He doesn't have to do anything except just be there. Settles everyone down.

Gopher Brown

Yes! You folks have answered the question “What does Mike Phelan do?”.

I doubt he has any unique or extraordinary skills. His CV probably focuses on his calmness and not being hated by anyone.

He’s just Mike Phelan ffs. But he’s OUR Mike Phelan.
I get the Phelan that some people on here would be delighted if we sacked our entire coaching staff and let Ole do it all on his own.

They need to remember the club is based in the exotic paradise that is Manchester, so naturally all our coaching staff must have exotic names to match.

Revaulx

It was mentioned in a documentary, SAF was speaking about how he learned to oversee instead of being in the eye of the cyclon, at the time Phelan would do most of the managerial duties while Meulensteen would take care of coaching and training while he would observe and focus on details. IIRC in that interview SAF gave the example of Nani and how Phelan knew every player's characters and how to handle them.
Yes I remember that. It seemed that Phelan was an absolutely key part of the management team but wasn’t really involved in player development or tactics. Doesn’t mean he wasn’t important though.
Great if so, don't see how that is not a valuable coaching skill for Phelan as part of Ole's staff.
Absolutely! Squad harmony AND discipline have been markedly improved since Ole and his team came in. It’s not unreasonable to infer that Phelan has been a major part of that.

ray24

Supports
Arsenal
You guys might want to reconsider him as Ole's assistant manager.

Falcow

Rashford 23 today.

I think Mike's managerial abilities are underrated here. He knows the game and his experience is invaluable. I also like how he stays very quietly in the background.

Top man is Mike.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Rashford 23 today.

I think Mike's managerial abilities are underrated here. He knows the game and his experience is invaluable. I also like how he stays very quietly in the background.

Top man is Mike.
What does he actually do?

Gabagoo

I've got a lot of time for Phelan.
Any links to the Ferguson era, used correctly and not just for the sake of nostalgia, could be very beneficial to us in terms of rooting new squads to the club's recent history.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Mike Phelan seems like a genuinely grounded person on Twitter. Awesome stuff.

On an unrelated note, I wonder if he harbours ambitions of becoming United’s next manager if Ole doesn’t work out.

man united 4eva

Just found out that Mike Phelan's dad died on Tuesday 22nd of December 2020.... R I P.. Michael John Phelan.. Our thoughts are with you along with your brother Marcus and all your family members at this sad time.

Foxbatt

The problem is that he is most famous for the bursting of the balloon. I don't think he has done anything that noticable otherwise.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
The problem is that he is most famous for the bursting of the balloon. I don't think he has done anything that noticable otherwise.
What's that got to do with his dad dying you numpty?

RIP Phelan Sr and best wishes to the family.

Falcow

Just found out that Mike Phelan's dad died on Tuesday 22nd of December 2020.... R I P.. Michael John Phelan.. Our thoughts are with you along with your brother Marcus and all your family members at this sad time.
Thanks for posting.

RIP. My condolences to Mike and family.

Crashoutcassius

Phelan was prob the most important part of how we played in fergies last couple of years... we were defensively incredible but quite dull going forward... didn't we win 2013 with some record number of 1 goal margins? Maybe liverpool broke that record last year.

I'm sure he is an important part of our defensive organisation, which has ranged from good to poor in patches, but when we play with committed midfielders it has been good in my view. I'd imagine the football going forward comes down to mckenna more. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Ole took a leaf from SAF and was hands off on much of the coaching