Mike Phelan - Assistant manager

Foxbatt

I’ve read your posts. In a sea of shite they stand out as particularly stinky.
You may have read my post but you do not know me the same way I do not know you. I do not make personal comments about you because I do not know you. Neither should you be making personal comments about people you do not know.

Kag

You may have read my post but you do not know me the same way I do not know you. I do not make personal comments about you because I do not know you. Neither should you be making personal comments about people you do not know.
This is an interesting take given that you have insinuated Phelan himself doesn’t do anything in his role at United: a bloke you clearly don’t know and clearly aren’t in a position to assess what he does or doesn’t do.

acnumber9

How is my comment any more personal than yours on Mike Phelan? Take your own advice.

thepolice123

The problem is that he is most famous for the bursting of the balloon. I don't think he has done anything that noticable otherwise.
Pathetic post. If this is meant to be a joke, it's not funny either.

red thru&thru

@Foxbatt maybe you need to clarify your post about Mike? It came across as though he has done/does very little for United.

Without knowing the total ins & outs of his role, I'm sure he does plenty and has played a major role under all of his managers...more than just bursting a balloon. In top level football, no club can afford to carry passengers, especially over a long period of time on the footballing side of things, if they don't contribute.

AshRK

What is his role can someone tell me? I feel he is just there to tell stories about fergie days and how he burst some balloons. A grandpa who is here to keep himself relevant. We need proper coaching staff. Sir alex made the Phelans and all relevant, not the other way round.

Champagne Football

What is his role can someone tell me? I feel he is just there to tell stories about fergie days and how he burst some balloons. A grandpa who is here to keep himself relevant. We need proper coaching staff. Sir alex made the Phelans and all relevant, not the other way round.
I personally feel Phelan and Ole have overachieved this season. We still have players in our first XI who are not top 4 standard players - Fred and Lindelof being the most obvious. The hands of the management team are tied as the owners won't invest heavily unless we get some big offers for our players first.
We are lucky to have Mike Phelan on board. He's the main reason we were able to stop the rot after 3 failed managers, 2 of which only came for the money, and 1 billion wasted on average footballers.
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...son-david-moyes-mike-phelan-manchester-united

Foxbatt

@Foxbatt maybe you need to clarify your post about Mike? It came across as though he has done/does very little for United.

Without knowing the total ins & outs of his role, I'm sure he does plenty and has played a major role under all of his managers...more than just bursting a balloon. In top level football, no club can afford to carry passengers, especially over a long period of time on the footballing side of things, if they don't contribute.
I said it was the most famous thing he had done at United.
What was the most famous thing Forlan did at United? Some may say scoring a great goal? Not to me. To me it was running on the pitch with his shirt in his hand.

The Cluck

What was the most famous thing Forlan did at United? Some may say scoring a great goal? Not to me. To me it was running on the pitch with his shirt in his hand.
The goals at Anfield and the goal against Chelsea come to my mind quicker than him struggling to get his shirt back on.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!

Grande

I think probably scoring a brace to beat the scousers, including a Dudek howler, is the most famous thing Forlan did with United. Of course, whereas fame is more objective, memorable is more subjective. The most memorable thing to me Forlan did with United, was getting a bollocking by Fergie at half time on his debut, for disobeying his instructions of using long studs and then slipping up in a good position to shoot.

Foxbatt

It's not struggling to get his shirt back on. It's him tackling and running after a player without his shirt on. It was so funny.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
“But I think in the gym, right now, the people in the gym the most are usually the injured ones. That is a real thing they have to do in order to recover. For us right now, credit to him as well, Phil Jones has been in that recovery phase quite a lot.”

You somehow clickbaited clickbait.
Being in the gym the most doesn't equate to working the hardest.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
"I'm not a great techno...phobe, or anything like that, I'm still pen and papers sometimes and conversation." :D

I enjoyed that whole talk.

Kung Fu Cantona7

Mike Phelans role is Assistant Manager.

What does he do?

1. Makes tea/coffee for Ole.
2. Holds Ole's hand when going up stairs.
3. Opens doors for Ole.
4. Photocopies paperwork for Ole.
5. Sharpens pencils for Ole.
6. Arranges Ole's dentist appointments.
7. Gives Ole foot massages.
8. Ties Ole's shoelaces.
9. Makes restaurant reservations for Ole.
10. Gives advice on moustaches.
11. Tells stories about bursting balloons.

He also sometimes gets involved with match day tactics, game analysis, transfer targets, training sessions, player development, player performance, player motivation, communication with players, etc, etc.

Honestly....you have no idea what he contributes to the club behind the scenes so to suggest that he isn't "proper coaching staff" is just ridiculous.

The man was assistant manager when we won numerous trophies including 3 Premier League titles, so you should be a bit more respectful.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Read the article.
Just re-read it and I've got to admit, my post - which read, 'Mike Phelan: Phil Jones works the hardest in the gym' - in no way reflects the content of the article.

For example, the caption below the photo reads, 'Phelan was asked who works hardest in the gym', then, in the opening line: 'Mike Phelan has revealed Phil Jones works hardest in Manchester United's gym.'

Finally, and perhaps most damning, the third paragraph continues, 'United's assistant manager Phelan said he's the hardest worker in the gym'.

They've done me like a kipper.

The Cluck

Mike Phelans role is Assistant Manager.

What does he do?

1. Makes tea/coffee for Ole.
2. Holds Ole's hand when going up stairs.
3. Opens doors for Ole.
4. Photocopies paperwork for Ole.
5. Sharpens pencils for Ole.
6. Arranges Ole's dentist appointments.
7. Gives Ole foot massages.
8. Ties Ole's shoelaces.
9. Makes restaurant reservations for Ole.
10. Gives advice on moustaches.
11. Tells stories about bursting balloons.

He also sometimes gets involved with match day tactics, game analysis, transfer targets, training sessions, player development, player performance, player motivation, communication with players, etc, etc.

Honestly....you have no idea what he contributes to the club behind the scenes so to suggest that he isn't "proper coaching staff" is just ridiculous.

The man was assistant manager when we won numerous trophies including 3 Premier League titles, so you should be a bit more respectful.
I feel like there is an incredible amount of people out there who think that if a coach isn't seen to be out on the training field with his tactics board telling players exactly where on the pitch to stand when the ball is in a certain area of the pitch, they do nothing. There's more to running a football team than the options available to you in the Formation screen in FIFA.

romufc

It's just a stick to beat the coaches with. Its quite funny the things I hear from united fans.

1. We have poor coaches, they are all young, Mckenna, Carrick and now the new one, no experience.
2. Phelan is okay but he is an outdated coach...

I mean, what do people want? If Klopp or Pep hired one of these everyone would be like wow what a coach...

Just look at when Arteta was appointed manager, everyone thought he would implement Pep's football because he was assistant for 1 year or so.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Just re-read it and I've got to admit, my post - which read, 'Mike Phelan: Phil Jones works the hardest in the gym' - in no way reflects the content of the article.

For example, the caption below the photo reads, 'Phelan was asked who works hardest in the gym', then, in the opening line: 'Mike Phelan has revealed Phil Jones works hardest in Manchester United's gym.'

Finally, and perhaps most damning, the third paragraph continues, 'United's assistant manager Phelan said he's the hardest worker in the gym'.

They've done me like a kipper.
Yes. You turned inaccurate clickbait into something even less accurate.

Phelan was asked who goes to the gym the most. He said the injured players. Mentions that Jones is in there all the time as he’s recuperating and recovering. He wasn’t even asked who works hardest in the gym.

The article misrepresented what Phelan actually said. You then made it even worse.

I can’t help you if you refuse to help yourself.

Lj82

Mike Phelan is not a coach. He is the assistant manager.
Yup.
Reading the interviews Ole have in the early days when he was interim manager, he brought Phelan in because he was familiar with how the club was run and could help Ole run the non football side of the house. There are many things outside of training and tactics in running a football club, such as logistics etc, which I presume is taken care of by Phelan