Mike Phelan signed a contract extension in late 2021

IncyWincySpider

I can respect the public show of support from the club. It's a good thing to do in the circumstances and probably not particularly costly. Yes we all know Ole is under pressure but there's nothing gained from the club making it worse. Until the moment they sack him it's right to stand by him 100% and a gesture like this probably goes a long way.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
So thats two assistants we have down to 2024. Whens the gaffer, Mckenna, getting one?

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Christ.

I noticed him on the touchline vs Villarreal where when we lost possession he shrugged his shoulders and flopped his hands. Such an inspiring presence.

laughtersassassin

He might be. He might not be. Our upcoming run is very tough. Could go either way considering our awful start

Flytan

I can respect the public show of support from the club. It's a good thing to do in the circumstances and probably not particularly costly. Yes we all know Ole is under pressure but there's nothing gained from the club making it worse. Until the moment they sack him it's right to stand by him 100% and a gesture like this probably goes a long way.
There's a difference in showing support VS rewarding failure though. You can show support by releasing weekly statements denying wanting to fire your coaches, this is just rewarding them for nothing.

It's like when we gave Jones another new contract in 2019 or whatever

UnitedFire

Anyone would think we didn't finish 2nd last year.....
Anyone would think Chelsea didn't have a transition season with a new squad and two managers, Liverpool were fecked with injuries, Arsenal were Arsenal, Spurs got Josed.

And of course anyone would think Villareal were prime Real Madrid....!

I guess Ole did otherwise beat Brendan Rodgers so yes wonderful work.....100 year contract

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Anyone slagging off Mike Phelan can feck off.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
The big 12 match line up has started with a scraped win and a lucky to not lose draw. Leicester look shit right now so maybe we'll do something there.

After that I could easily see Phelans contract looking short lived!

DateOpponentVenueComp.
29-SepVillarrealHCL
02-OctEvertonHPL
16-OctLeicesterAPL
20-OctAtalantaHCL
24-OctLiverpoolHPL
30-OctTottenhamAPL
02-NovAtalantaACL
06-NovMan CityHPL
20-NovWatfordAPL
23-NovVillarrealACL
28-NovChelseaAPL
30-NovArsenalHPL
Again, it's almost like our own fans are wishing we lose games? We should go into each game hoping we win and I could never look at a run of games and pick out ones that you think that we'll lose. As I hope we're going to win every single one.

Are you not just reflecting your own insecurity about the manager on this post?

Its not my post but if I'm honest I expect Ole to be fired eventually.

I want him to do well and to be proven wrong but there is nothing that convinced me he is a good enough manager or will be.

We have a great team and play terribly for instance.

So if I'm to guess Ole gets sacked in the next 18 months. Do I want him to do bad and for us to have to sack him? No I don't. It's simply what I think will happen because he isn't even the 4th best manager in the league.
I don't understand how you think I'm insecure about the manager? I expect Ole to be a long term solution and to state "when Ole Goes" it implies that you're wishing for it to happen, as the thread is about Phelan getting a new contract, so in effect, you're (you're as in generally) already actively looking forward to the end of said contract.

Do I believe that Ole is the right man for the job? Yes. Do I want United to stick with him for as long as humanly possible? Yes. Am I blind to the bad football we are playing? No of course not, things aren't all rosey right now, we are playing badly and these next few games are going to be tough, but I'm not going to knee jerk react and hope Ole gets the sack if and when we lose. We need a good run of games and we need more games for the new players to gel with one another and get the team playing with Ronaldo. The first half against Everton was much more fast and fluid than the slow trudge we've been seeing. We just need time. The quality is there to get points on the board too.

Ronaldo is the best player, we have to play to his advantages. Neville said it happened in 08, the team made sacrifices for him and they need to make sacrifices for him now, the wingers need to double up on the wingbacks and do more defensive duties to help Ronaldo. Need workhorses to feed Ronaldo, and players like Bruno, Sancho, Rashford will need to adapt to help provide the balls to Ronaldo. It will take time but I believe that this team will come good, Varane, Sancho and Ronaldo will take time to gel with this team. But we as fans need to be patient.

I firmly believe that he's the right man for the job, 2nd place finish after consistent higher league place finishes since taking over and several semi finals prove that the team is improving. Sure there's no trophy, and we should have had one by now. But, this is more or less his team now. I think we're a DM and a RB off being for lack of a better term 'complete'. With Haaland, we'd challenge even more.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
This'll be a tough one for many on here to reconcile. Another indicator that the club are looking longer term.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Anyone would think Chelsea didn't have a transition season with a new squad and two managers, Liverpool were fecked with injuries, Arsenal were Arsenal, Spurs got Josed.

And of course anyone would think Villareal were prime Real Madrid....!

I guess Ole did otherwise beat Brendan Rodgers so yes wonderful work.....100 year contract
So what's going to be the excuse if Ole/United win the UCL/the league?

tomaldinho1

If anything could be worse than giving Ole the new contract, this is it. Sign up every numpty in the coaching staff and give every useless player in our ranks a new 200k per week contract so we burden ourselves with deadweight all around the club, not just the dressing room. Astute as always from the Disneyland board of clowns.
It's literally just a new contract for a backroom staff member, chill.

ti vu

Wasn’t Phelan United’s appointment rather than Solskjaer’s?

I think United want him on the staff regardless of who the manager is
Unless we intend to continue with the "United way" (distorted, deluded version that is), so as to give managers time to learn the job, when they don't have the qualification to get the job in the first place; then it makes sense. Or else, it's extreme odd thing to do, since established successful managers would prefer their own backroom staffs. Assistant manager is to carry out manager's command, not being his superiority and instruct him. Even when it makes sense that Moyes should have kept some to access to the know how at the club, it's clear the manager is the boss and have authority to dismiss the old backroom staffs.

The DoF is the supposed role that has authority to choose, then teach the manager/ head coach the vision of the team. Unlike in the past, we have one now, so forcing an assistant manager from previous reign on new manager is just weird.

If the club trust certain assistant managers that much, why didn't it give that man the job as new manager? He knows the club, players, the hierarchy, every aspects, right?

I don't think it is the case, but if it is, we look like we still run the club like a circus despite all these new roles making it look like we're adapting to the modern model at other clubs.

Last edited:

Ludens the Red

Show of support. It’s good because that is what is needed when things are tough going.

Would be nice if the fanbase showed some support, at the end of the day he’s not going anywhere until the end of the season at the earliest. That’s what he deserves and it’s what he’s getting.

We’re not missing out on an extraordinary replacement right now anyway. Let’s get behind them and the team.
I think you could say the exact same for martial. He’s probably leaving and he’s not done that bad over the years.

How Martial even has a squad number, never mind the number fecking 9, I will never know.

Ole trusts him far more than I do, I wouldn’t trust him to boil a kettle

Criticise manager and coach - not supportive.

Criticise player - perfectly fine.

Rajma

Most likely, no set of results in the next month sees Ole out.
Not coming 4th would probably see him sacked though.
Don’t think our board understands the dynamics in the dressing room and how they can shift quickly irrespective how much you trust in the manager when you have influential guys like Ronaldo, Pogba, Varane, Cavani, and even Bruno in your team. Once it will become obvious that points wise we’re drifting apart from league leaders no amount of board support will help to keep that dressing room content.

RedDevil@84

Sick of this absolute disrespect to the manager of the club you're supposed to support. Like you're almost wishing, or begging for it at this point.
Not everyone possesses the "top fan horse" that you have. Some of us need to walk.

Oranges038

Don't see why anyone would be fussed by it.

He's a good experienced guy to have around. Ole could do with a couple more of them around him.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Not everyone possesses the "top fan horse" that you have. Some of us need to walk.
Clearly you didn't read this post where I stated that I acknowledge that we aren't good enough right now.

But I am not going to hope we lose or look at a run of games and tick off the ones we are going to draw and drop points in, just so it may or may not get us closer to sacking the manager. Supposed to support the team through thick and thin, not hope we lose. By stating 'when Ole goes' clearly hoping he gets sacked or at least looking forward to the day.

LJJT

Usual poor comments by many in here, disrespectful and strange considering no one has a clue what he contributes behind the scenes. Fergie obviously rated him so find it odd many of you lot have a more knowledgable view of his ability despite having no idea what his impact on the team is.

James35

Well I for one am really encouraged by this and I definitely see us winning trophies soon under this coaching set up.

I thought I'd try some of this blind positivity for a change.

dove

Whatever, he is not the one who needs replacing so he can stay.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Don’t think our board understands the dynamics in the dressing room and how they can shift quickly irrespective how much you trust in the manager when you have influential guys like Ronaldo, Pogba, Varane, Cavani, and even Bruno in your team. Once it will become obvious that points wise we’re drifting apart from league leaders no amount of board support will help to keep that dressing room content.
To be honest, if we have a squad of players that don't feel at least partly responsible for recent performances then we have some serious issues.

el3mel

Clearly you didn't read this post where I stated that I acknowledge that we aren't good enough right now.

But I am not going to hope we lose or look at a run of games and tick off the ones we are going to draw and drop points in, just so it may or may not get us closer to sacking the manager. Supposed to support the team through thick and thin, not hope we lose. By stating 'when Ole goes' clearly hoping he gets sacked or at least looking forward to the day.
When will you stop inventing things out of your mind. "When Ole goes" is normal sentence because he's going to leave at one point, inevitable unless you have convinced yourself he's going to manage us forever ? :lol:

RUCK4444

I think you could say the exact same for martial. He’s probably leaving and he’s not done that bad over the years.

Criticise manager and coach - not supportive.

Criticise player - perfectly fine.
Yeah you can make that observation but I’ve been very clear on my opinion on Martial and that is because I class him as one that doesn’t show the effort.

I have zero time for any employee of the club, player, coach or otherwise that doesn’t show 100% effort, every game for the shirt.

So there’s a very real difference for me when it comes to Martial. He was lazy and uninterested game after game last season imo, that attitude doesn’t gain my support and neither should it.

A very big difference compared to the manager who cares every bit as much as anybody here does about the club and our success.

Infra-red

Most likely, no set of results in the next month sees Ole out.
Not coming 4th would probably see him sacked though.
Agreed. We should make it (top 4) this season. I think the club will be planning for Ole to remain for at least another 18 months, even if we don't get near a big trophy in that time.

No chance at all of him going in the next few weeks/months.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
If anything could be worse than giving Ole the new contract, this is it. Sign up every numpty in the coaching staff and give every useless player in our ranks a new 200k per week contract so we burden ourselves with deadweight all around the club, not just the dressing room. Astute as always from the Disneyland board of clowns.
You have no idea what they do and what they don’t do. You have no idea which coach is good and which coach isn’t good. You get got a clue how the coaches operate day to day or whether one has better ideas than the other. But yeah call them numpties.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Doesn't matter. New coach will have to work with Phelan and the existing staff I guess

Rajma

To be honest, if we have a squad of players that don't feel at least partly responsible for recent performances then we have some serious issues.
They might, but they’ll also know that manager is not up to the task which will signal the end of him. Board is likely to drag the decision out not to look totally stupid for just giving Ole a new shiny contract this summer though.

wattsy7

Don’t understand the complaints.

If anything we could do with 1 or 2 more with Mike’s knowledge & experience.