Mike Phelan signed a contract extension in late 2021

Cloud7

I have no clue now, nor did I have a clue when Sir Alex was around, regarding what it is Phelan does.

That being said, he gives me a sentimental feeling as seeing him there reminds me of Sir Alex. For all the talk that people talk about Ole giving them a sentimental feeling, he does nothing for me in that regard, since he was a player, never a manager prior to this, and I view a player and a manager as a separate entity. However, Phelan does elicit those feelings.

Ludens the Red

Yeah you can make that observation but I’ve been very clear on my opinion on Martial and that is because I class him as one that doesn’t show the effort.

I have zero time for any employee of the club, player, coach or otherwise that doesn’t show 100% effort, every game for the shirt.

So there’s a very real difference for me when it comes to Martial. He was lazy and uninterested game after game last season imo, that attitude doesn’t gain my support and neither should it.

A very big difference compared to the manager who cares every bit as much as anybody here does about the club and our success.
One could argue a team making the same tactical mistakes over and over again (ie conceding the same goals from set pieces) are being led by a bunch of lazy coaches who aren’t putting 100% into their craft.
In fact id it’s a very very strong argument to make against the United coaches of all teams.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Again, it's almost like our own fans are wishing we lose games? We should go into each game hoping we win and I could never look at a run of games and pick out ones that you think that we'll lose. As I hope we're going to win every single one.

I don't understand how you think I'm insecure about the manager? I expect Ole to be a long term solution and to state "when Ole Goes" it implies that you're wishing for it to happen, as the thread is about Phelan getting a new contract, so in effect, you're (you're as in generally) already actively looking forward to the end of said contract.

Do I believe that Ole is the right man for the job? Yes. Do I want United to stick with him for as long as humanly possible? Yes. Am I blind to the bad football we are playing? No of course not, things aren't all rosey right now, we are playing badly and these next few games are going to be tough, but I'm not going to knee jerk react and hope Ole gets the sack if and when we lose. We need a good run of games and we need more games for the new players to gel with one another and get the team playing with Ronaldo. The first half against Everton was much more fast and fluid than the slow trudge we've been seeing. We just need time. The quality is there to get points on the board too.

Ronaldo is the best player, we have to play to his advantages. Neville said it happened in 08, the team made sacrifices for him and they need to make sacrifices for him now, the wingers need to double up on the wingbacks and do more defensive duties to help Ronaldo. Need workhorses to feed Ronaldo, and players like Bruno, Sancho, Rashford will need to adapt to help provide the balls to Ronaldo. It will take time but I believe that this team will come good, Varane, Sancho and Ronaldo will take time to gel with this team. But we as fans need to be patient.

I firmly believe that he's the right man for the job, 2nd place finish after consistent higher league place finishes since taking over and several semi finals prove that the team is improving. Sure there's no trophy, and we should have had one by now. But, this is more or less his team now. I think we're a DM and a RB off being for lack of a better term 'complete'. With Haaland, we'd challenge even more.
Ya think!? Let's get Messi and challenge even more. If we have all the good players then we might be able to win something under Ole!

julianfr

Sick of this absolute disrespect to the manager of the club you're supposed to support. Like you're almost wishing, or begging for it at this point.
At this point I am. Because I support Manchester United and not Ole Gunnar Solskjaer

Ixion

About time Phil Jones got another contract while we're at it

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
At this point I am. Because I support Manchester United and not Ole Gunnar Solskjaer
Supporting Manchester United means supporting Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and the players and sticking by them through thick and thin.

FatTails

Fantastic! With Koeman and Poch both doing badly at their respective clubs, I was starting to get worried. Glad to see we’re tying down our incredible coaching staff to long term contracts.kill me now

pascell

I see the football experts are already posting.

Deftly done in my opinion. Public show of support, without a large financial commitment - whilst still placing a degree of pressure on Ole.

Also sacking him was one of Moyes biggest mistake
How does signing him up to a new contract place pressure on Ole?

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
They might, but they’ll also know that manager is not up to the task which will signal the end of him. Board is likely to drag the decision out not to look totally stupid for just giving Ole a new shiny contract this summer though.
You do realise that most of these players have been playing for him for quite a while now?

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Assume he was originally on a short contract, like Ole, and didn't he join back halfway through a season so makes sense.

The Firestarter

Supporting Manchester United means supporting Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and the players and sticking by them through thick and thin.
Exactly. Just like some sticked for Jose through thick and thin, that's the proper way to support the club.

laughtersassassin

Again, it's almost like our own fans are wishing we lose games? We should go into each game hoping we win and I could never look at a run of games and pick out ones that you think that we'll lose. As I hope we're going to win every single one.

I don't understand how you think I'm insecure about the manager? I expect Ole to be a long term solution and to state "when Ole Goes" it implies that you're wishing for it to happen, as the thread is about Phelan getting a new contract, so in effect, you're (you're as in generally) already actively looking forward to the end of said contract.

Do I believe that Ole is the right man for the job? Yes. Do I want United to stick with him for as long as humanly possible? Yes. Am I blind to the bad football we are playing? No of course not, things aren't all rosey right now, we are playing badly and these next few games are going to be tough, but I'm not going to knee jerk react and hope Ole gets the sack if and when we lose. We need a good run of games and we need more games for the new players to gel with one another and get the team playing with Ronaldo. The first half against Everton was much more fast and fluid than the slow trudge we've been seeing. We just need time. The quality is there to get points on the board too.

Ronaldo is the best player, we have to play to his advantages. Neville said it happened in 08, the team made sacrifices for him and they need to make sacrifices for him now, the wingers need to double up on the wingbacks and do more defensive duties to help Ronaldo. Need workhorses to feed Ronaldo, and players like Bruno, Sancho, Rashford will need to adapt to help provide the balls to Ronaldo. It will take time but I believe that this team will come good, Varane, Sancho and Ronaldo will take time to gel with this team. But we as fans need to be patient.

I firmly believe that he's the right man for the job, 2nd place finish after consistent higher league place finishes since taking over and several semi finals prove that the team is improving. Sure there's no trophy, and we should have had one by now. But, this is more or less his team now. I think we're a DM and a RB off being for lack of a better term 'complete'. With Haaland, we'd challenge even more.
I'll leave it there with you, as we have must have a different comprehension of the English language.

"When Ole goes" in no way implies someone is wishing for it to happen or wishing him to do bad.

It implies they think he will be let go eventually. Those are entirely different things and have no standing on someone's support for the club.

Again I want Ole to do well but I don't think he is or will do well relative to the strength of the squad and the ambitions that should be in place.

soapythecat

Show of support. It’s good because that is what is needed when things are tough going.

Would be nice if the fanbase showed some support, at the end of the day he’s not going anywhere until the end of the season at the earliest. That’s what he deserves and it’s what he’s getting.

We’re not missing out on an extraordinary replacement right now anyway. Let’s get behind them and the team.
Top wumming lad

ti vu

Totally wrong.

Why were "top reds" the loudest Mourinho out? They did realize they can't see every manager being the equivalent of the club. What changed now? The over romanticized and deluded version of "United way" just makes Ole into the club in human form.

Flexdegea

Show of support. It’s good because that is what is needed when things are tough going.

Would be nice if the fanbase showed some support, at the end of the day he’s not going anywhere until the end of the season at the earliest. That’s what he deserves and it’s what he’s getting.

We’re not missing out on an extraordinary replacement right now anyway. Let’s get behind them and the team.

No chance the manager will get the support. Season barely started and they all back hammering him.

All want and no give it would seem with a lot our fans

Flexdegea

Totally wrong.

Why were "top reds" the loudest Mourinho out? They did realize they can't see every manager being the equivalent of the club. What changed now? The over romanticized and deluded version of "United way" just makes Ole into the club in human form.

Jose was getting hammered and righty so, team was snowballing in the league and at a further stage and all he did the summer before was moan, the toxic vibe was unsuitainable......currently at the moment not even close to that.

Bit bizarre to be honest

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
And achieved precisely what? The longevity will work against him not for him in this situation.
So you think our players look at this situation and feel no responsibility whatsoever? That what happens during a football match, when thousands of decisions and actions are made by these players, has absolutely nothing to do with them? It must be lovely to be paid millions and have absolutely no accountability.

ti vu

Jose was getting hammered and righty so, team was snowballing in the league and at a further stage and all he did the summer before was moan, the toxic vibe was unsuitainable......currently at the moment not even close to that.

Bit bizarre to be honest
You realize "top reds" was against Mourinho from the get go, not just "when", right?

RedDevil@84

Supposed to support the team through thick and thin, not hope we lose. By stating 'when Ole goes' clearly hoping he gets sacked or at least looking forward to the day.
No. it clearly doesn't say anything. Having seen the end of Moyes, LVG, and Jose, I see ominous signs with the football and results that we are playing. We had one of the easiest runs of all the top teams. Yet, we are languishing in 4th, unable to defeat a depleted Everton, losing to Villa. Luckily, other teams haven't run far away, thanks to their tough fixtures.
And with the signing of Sancho, Ronaldo and Varane, the dice has been cast. Ole has to deliver now, not in 3 years, not even in 2 years.

Now after seeing the football we are playing, you may feel we are looking good for a title challenge. But I would say that is hopeless optimism. It is not looking good for Ole. And with much tougher games, coming thick and fast in next 8 weeks, it all seems to be just a matter of time. And that has nothing to do with disrespecting or not supporting the manager.

And in general, I don't believe supporting the club (any club) should be blindly supporting manager or the players. I wish they all do well. And win everything under the sun. But that doesn't mean we keep claiming everything they do is the right thing to be done.

Flexdegea

You realize "top reds" was against Mourinho from the get go, not just "when", right?

Daft you think their a such thing as top reds and other reds..............feels like the Libs and right :lol: :yawn:

ti vu

Daft you think their a such thing as top reds and other reds..............feels like the Libs and right :lol: :yawn:
Yeah right. When it's you think about me think argument, you don't have nothing to discuss. Bye bye

RedDevilQuebecois

Public show of support, without a large financial commitment - whilst still placing a degree of pressure on Ole.

Also sacking him was one of Moyes biggest mistake
Where does Phelan fit in the equation of putting pressure on Ole? Please elaborate on that one for people who feel that is a waste of money. Anyway, I feel that the whole coaching staff is as guilty as Ole is for our current woes.

TBH, I think the biggest mistake from Moyes was to let Meulensteen go. René was the true teacher on the training ground if any team keeps him as a first-team coach than anything else, which is beyond his set of skills.

Revan

Assumptionman
You have no idea what they do and what they don’t do. You have no idea which coach is good and which coach isn’t good. You get got a clue how the coaches operate day to day or whether one has better ideas than the other. But yeah call them numpties.
We have a really good squad that plays really bad. I think there is enough evidence that the coaching staff is not very good. Is this only Ole, or also the coaching staff is the question though.

Sviken

Are we the most incompetently run club in the world? We have to be. Why does the board need to show public confidence in Ole? You either let him stay or you sack him eventually, there is no need for these kinds of extensions that later the club would have to pay out for no real reason. It's not like Phelan is a well sought coach for this to be necessary. Jesus, who the hell runs this club? We're a joke that everyone is laughing at us.

Dr. StrangeHate

Atleast with Ole they had the sense to wait till the season started and the stench of that Europa defeat had faded.
They couldn't wait till we got a good result here. Have some mercy FFS.

Flexdegea

Yeah right. When it's you think about me think argument, you don't have nothing to discuss. Bye bye

What was the discussion?

You made a point about Jose, I told ya why he was getting slated and then you made a point about imaginary top reds like it's an actual thing.

ti vu

What was the discussion?

You made a point about Jose, I told ya why he was getting slated and then you made a point about imaginary top reds like it's an actual thing.
You don't even know "top reds" (quotation mark has significant). You clearly don't know nothing. There is no point in anyone here to engage further, when you push your ignorance on others as if they just make up "imaginary" opposition.

Giggsy13

Bit bizarre to be honest
Jose didn’t have a squad of this quality though.

RUCK4444

One could argue a team making the same tactical mistakes over and over again (ie conceding the same goals from set pieces) are being led by a bunch of lazy coaches who aren’t putting 100% into their craft.
In fact id it’s a very very strong argument to make against the United coaches of all teams.
So you think Martial jogging around with his head to the sky and refusing to make runs all last season has been coached into him? Fair play.