Mike Phelan signed a contract extension in late 2021

afatzp

Can we really see the Job Description for Phelan ? I have no idea what he has been working on and could not hold him accountable for any part of our terrible performance so far.

Flexdegea

You don't even know "top reds" (quotation mark has significant). You clearly don't know nothing. There is no point in anyone here to engage further, when you push your ignorance on others as if they just make up "imaginary" opposition.

What :lol:

Oh I know the term top red but was pointing out it's daft. We all United fans, differing opinions but their not sections of us.

But what ever you think, seems you are being ignorant

Flexdegea

Jose didn’t have a squad of this quality though.

I wonder who build this squad with similar funds, this quality see squad in your words?

another mark against Jose for why he got the boot at the time.

What's happening at moment isn't even similar to Jose last month's, which was why he was being mentioned.

Again so of the stuff about Ole not even Grounded in reality. Only part that would be reality is we aren't playing well at the moment. Think folk need to chill out a bit, far too early to be crying, especially going by previous 2 seasons.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Jose didn’t have a squad of this quality though.
And who’s sodding fault was that :lol: He spent 60m on Bailly and Lindelof, 40m on Matic, 90m on Pogba, 75m on Lukaku and…wait for it…50m on Fred. Oh and just the 20m on Dalot. Plus the fortune we gave Zlatan. And the 30m on Mikhitarian that we then used to get Sanchez on a “free” 18 months later - who we would then pay to leave another 18 months later. That’s 370m spent in 2.5 years - 180m of which went in central midfield…I find it helpful to type it all out every now and then for therapy purposes.

Hoof the ball

I wonder who build this squad with similar funds, this quality see squad in your words?

What's happening at moment isn't even similar to Jose last month's, which was why he was being mentioned.

Again so of the stuff about Ole not even Grounded in reality. Only part that would be reality is we aren't playing well at the moment. Think folk need to chill out a bit, far too early to be crying, especially going by previous 2 seasons.
In fairness, Ole finished 2nd, Mourinho finished 2nd. Ole got to a Europa final, Mourinho won it.

I won't be waxing lyrical about how much better Ole is/was than Mourinho until he wins something.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
And who’s sodding fault was that :lol: He spent 60m on Bailly and Lindelof, 40m on Matic, 90m on Pogba, 75m on Lukaku and…wait for it…50m on Fred. Oh and just the 20m on Dalot. Plus the fortune we gave Zlatan. And the 30m on Mikhitarian that we then used to get Sanchez on a “free” 18 months later - who we would then pay to leave another 18 months later. That’s 370m spent in 2.5 years - 180m of which went in central midfield…I find it helpful to type it all out every now and then for therapy purposes.
Since then we’ve spent over 200m on McGuire, Wan Bissaka, Sancho and Van de Beek. Add another 50+ for Telles, Amad and Pellestri. Doesn’t look good either. Bruno has been our only resounding success IMO.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
I think our transfers and how to use them has been a problem for years, since Fergie. It’s continuing today with signings we have no clue how to utilise into the side.
Well Maguire, Varane, AWB, Bruno and Ronaldo are all bona fide starters. Cavani was brought in theoretically as a squad player at the time but then martial went a bit awol and we realised he’s top quality so great signing. Telles was a backup. Amad and Pellestri are for the future. So the only signings your comments relate to are Donny - who was signed as a player to compete with Bruno (should have signed a DM instead) and Sancho who is 21, coming off a tough summer and adjusting to a new league. He’s also clearly getting better. So I disagree. The players we want and fail to get such as Bellingham, Camavinga and Haaland also make perfect sense. We’ve definitely sorted ourselves out transfer wise. Not that we could have got worse.

ti vu

What :lol:

Oh I know the term top red but was pointing out it's daft. We all United fans, differing opinions but their not sections of us.

But what ever you think, seems you are being ignorant
No section or division among us. Believable?! Threads made specifically to call out others, Martial FC vs Martial hater, Ole in vs Ole out, Top. Terms that magically appears out of thin air, with no meaning?

"Top reds" stop backing Mourinho toward the end of his second/third season... or when? Not be able to form a reasonable answer to that so you have resorted to move the point of discussion toward something else?

Quoted your other post here

Lovely how high your opinion is of yourself. Always questioning other people's view of reality.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Show of support. It’s good because that is what is needed when things are tough going.

Would be nice if the fanbase showed some support, at the end of the day he’s not going anywhere until the end of the season at the earliest. That’s what he deserves and it’s what he’s getting.

We’re not missing out on an extraordinary replacement right now anyway. Let’s get behind them and the team.
Here here. A fantastic show of support to the manager and his team. Let’s get behind the team and then re-evaluate in May.
Congratulations to Mike. He was harshly dealt with along with Rene and the rest of the back from staff when Moyes was appointed, good to see him getting something back. After all he’s a decent experienced coach who loves the club. Well deserved in my book.

Last edited:

Lynty

How does signing him up to a new contract place pressure on Ole?
Where does Phelan fit in the equation of putting pressure on Ole? Please elaborate on that one for people who feel that is a waste of money. Anyway, I feel that the whole coaching staff is as guilty as Ole is for our current woes.

TBH, I think the biggest mistake from Moyes was to let Meulensteen go. René was the true teacher on the training ground if any team keeps him as a first-team coach than anything else, which is beyond his set of skills.
The pressure is already on Ole. Its pretty much the highest pressure job in football, especially when things aren't going well.

So maybe my choice of words wasn't perfect.

Ole knows where he stands, if performances don't improve he'll be gone. Nobody can argue with that. But the club needs to show solidarity and renewing Phelans contract is a pretty cheap way of doing that without commiting to a new contract for Ole - which truly would be bizarre.

Phelans new contract is pennies in the grand scheme with minimal downsides.

Ludens the Red

So you think Martial jogging around with his head to the sky and refusing to make runs all last season has been coached into him? Fair play.
Nope that’s not what I said at all. I literally specified an exact area where our coaching is letting us down :lol:
Nice try though…

BlueHaze

This is monday night comedy. I genuinely think Phelan generally hasn't gotten a clue. Hull played horrid under him. He feels more like a guy that's just there to lift up the mood and pop baloons.

Roboc7

Ultimately these new contracts are meaningless, when the club wants rid of you length of contact doesn’t matter.

Said last year everyone is too pleased with themselves and all oblivious to the reality that their not actually doing a great job. It’s celebrating and rewarding mediocrity, blissfully unaware that we’re closer to not finishing in the top four than winning the league.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
So you think Martial jogging around with his head to the sky and refusing to make runs all last season has been coached into him? Fair play.
If it's not, it poses even more questions really. Such as why he's still trusted, especially when he has such a poor goalscoring record to go with the non existent work rate. Or why we kept him around, or gave him a new deal. If Ole isn't happy with his play (he can't be happy with his goals, let's be honest), then why is he still here? Is Ole just extremely tolerant of players ignoring instructions to play their own game?

Giggsy13

Amazing then that he managed to win 2 trophies and get to a FA cup final with such dross. Better squad now and let’s hold Ole to a different standard. GIVE IT TIME:lol:

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Ultimately these new contracts are meaningless, when the club wants rid of you length of contact doesn’t matter.

Said last year everyone is too pleased with themselves and all oblivious to the reality that their not actually doing a great job. It’s celebrating and rewarding mediocrity, blissfully unaware that we’re closer to not finishing in the top four than winning the league.
Agree, 100%. We knew that the blip from Chelsea and Liverpool last season would be short lived and when they got sorted, we'd be battling for top 4 again.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Amazing then that he managed to win 2 trophies and get to a FA cup final with such dross. Better squad now and let’s hold Ole to a different standard. GIVE IT TIME:lol:
Dear God…it’s an actual Jose defender. I heard them mentioned but not seen them in a while…Oh fantastic. He won the Europa league, finished 2nd then went fecking backwards creating a toxic mess and a shit squad to clean up. It isn’t a different standard - if we don’t improve this year he should be sacked. It’s a fairly simple standard. Oddly enough you proclaiming a final Mourinho lost as an achievement suggests you’re one with different standards - was getting to the Europa league final an achievement then? Christ.

Giggsy13

Dear God…it’s an actual Jose defender. I heard them mentioned but not seen them in a while…Oh fantastic. He won the Europa league, finished 2nd then went fecking backwards creating a toxic mess and a shit squad to clean up. It isn’t a different standard - if we don’t improve this year he should be sacked. It’s a fairly simple standard. Oddly enough you proclaiming a final Mourinho lost as an achievement suggests you’re one with different standards - was getting to the Europa league final an achievement then? Christ.
Congrats to Ole for winning the creating good vibes Trophy. FA cup final loss is not an achievement but winning Europa with an inferior squad is. I thought our club was about winning trophies, but hey good vibes triumphs all.

ti vu

What didn't he do to deserve it?

Enlightened us with what he does and doesn't do
People really applying presumption of innocence (innocent until proven guilty), into other aspect of life? It's a legal principle that has no application in dictating public opinion. And here we are having our opinion on the outlook of thing. If we have detail in everyday life at work, shouldn't we apply the knowledge to help the club, or getting a career with that elsewhere?

This is my opinion:

Phelan had come out in interview in the past, saying he did plenty of managerial's task under SAF. Our football got worse on the eyes since his promotion as assistant manager under SAF. While he got credit as a member of the backroom staff under SAF doing all the assigned hard work; his managerial (also assistant manager) career post SAF just confirmed that SAF is always the driving force behind our success. That was why we, fans had been questioning Mike Phelan, our assistant managers' responsibility for the eyesore football under SAF too. Knowing SAF, he's capable of beautiful attacking football, so he would adapt to new change of the game, and would eventually bring new coaching staffs, assistant managers when opportunity arrives. So Mike Phelan really never proved any doubter wrong. It's safe enough to assume Mike Phelan may be as highly responsible for the bad stuffs if you believe his own word about his duty as asssitant manager in SAF final years.

Back to what has been happening under Ole, and it looked like zombie passing made comeback. Eyesore performance is a regular. A lot of attempt to replicate what SAF used to do, but no substance in term of winning mentality, and willing to adapt to changes, because SAF is no longer the manager. Even some Ole in people would subscribe to the opinion that Ole need better coach. What if Mike Phelan should be among the first in the line of firing?

Who trust the higher up at this club in making the right decision, that people would imply their competency as some sort of supreme court of a judicial system on final matter?

What goes around, comes around, please do tell what you know. Or just your opinion on how you think Mike Phelan is doing (well) by what outlook of thing.

Last edited:

Womp

idiot
The Phelan puns :lol:

I think Ole needs to go as much as probably anyone, but this doesn't really mean much, nothing to really be worried about. If/when Ole gets sacked, they will just sack Phelan or move him into another role if the incoming manager doesn't want him as part of his staff.

He's probably more of an ambassador with his trademarked shorts than anything else at this stage anyway.

KingCavani

It’s astounding how little you have to do to receive a contract extension at this club.

The standards aren’t low, they’re non-existent.