Mike Phelan signed a contract extension in late 2021

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
Bashing him and Ole now is a good tactic. Lots of people on your side. And If they do very well in the end, “I’m so happy to be proven wrong”. Safest way to support the team.

Sviken

Phelan's fine, it's Ole's mates from Molde, Cardiff and recent ex players in the backroom staff that I have an issue with.
I have big problems with Carrick and McKenna who obviously run our tactical play by the looks of it and we all know how our playstyle looks like.

Rampant Red Rodriguez

Scared of women, so hates them.
Phelan was always a good number 2 to Fergie and is now an excellent aid of service to the club with OGS.

But Fergie had a tactical revolution with Quieroz and the other assistants he had, maybe Ole needs to find his Quieroz to leap forward tactically..

Reactions: Rood

hobbers

Phelan is fine. He's not the one running training sessions or doing any coaching. I don't actually know what he does but that's never been his remit. He's never been a Meulensteen or Quieroz.

Carrick and McKenna are the ones largely responsible for that along with Ole.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

Nothing against Phelan. However, I find it weird how this is sold by the club as if our future was solved by that. You really wonder if there is anyone in the hierarchy having a bit of a clue when it comes to football.

AneRu

Nothing against Phelan. However, I find it weird how this is sold by the club as if our future was solved by that. You really wonder if there is anyone in the hierarchy having a bit of a clue when it comes to football.
The club reflects the chaos that ensues when the blind are led by the blind, within three summers we have gone from 'cultural reset' to another orgy of reckless spending that isn't matched by results. Now we are handing out contracts like we are throwing confetti when in reality the same management team could be out of the job within a few weeks/months. We are more concerned with optics and buzzwords like the 'United Way, stability' and we don't at all look close to waking up.

The club wants to relay an image of being calm within stormy waters but in reality they are just setting themselves for ridicule.

Flexdegea

In fairness, Ole finished 2nd, Mourinho finished 2nd. Ole got to a Europa final, Mourinho won it.

I won't be waxing lyrical about how much better Ole is/was than Mourinho until he wins something.

No one really waxing about him being superior.

Was just replying to his post about Jose being sacked. Then and now not even similar situations.

No doubt Jose won 2 cups, but Ole teams have been way more consistent in the league, I mean even now we right up there. Again situations not even close. Both managers had buck load of money to spend, both took the jobs under different circumstances

Flexdegea

No section or division among us. Believable?! Threads made specifically to call out others, Martial FC vs Martial hater, Ole in vs Ole out, Top. Terms that magically appears out of thin air, with no meaning?

"Top reds" stop backing Mourinho toward the end of his second/third season... or when? Not be able to form a reasonable answer to that so you have resorted to move the point of discussion toward something else?

Quoted your other post here

Lovely how high your opinion is of yourself. Always questioning other people's view of reality.

Are you ok?

Exactly their is all these terms made up on the cafe, some are funny, but they aren't actually real legit movements of folks in the base, bit like beek FC, more humour than an actual thing. Same for the top reds, 100% could apply to loads of different opinions over the years. Used to be the old Trafford regulars......now it's the Jose outers for you.

Again I answered your original post and you still going on about sides, and now I have a really high opinion of myself. Chill :lol:

Regalia

You have no idea what they do and what they don’t do. You have no idea which coach is good and which coach isn’t good. You get got a clue how the coaches operate day to day or whether one has better ideas than the other. But yeah call them numpties.
No need to get all hissy just because my views differ from you, buddy. Reporting me and warning me for this is a new low. This is why this forum is a joke and everyone knows the mods are just going after people who have views besides Ole is god. Ole views aside, it is pretty clear the team behind him isn't good as well. There's a reason Phelan ended up in the A-League after SAF left. Also why people question what he does. How come we never see a thread titled 'Just what does Carlos Queiroz do?'.

L1nk

You really gotta ask yourselves the questions why the board make these decisions, i thought these people were smart investors and such, why do they always insist on not only rewarding mediocrity, but giving contracts to people who are nowhere near in demand or near the end, its truly astonishing stuff with this club.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

You really gotta ask yourselves the questions why the board make these decisions, i thought these people were smart investors and such, why do they always insist on not only rewarding mediocrity, but giving contracts to people who are nowhere near in demand or near the end, its truly astonishing stuff with this club.
Because football isn't the most important thing. It's part of their project but not the most important element

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
No need to get all hissy just because my views differ from you, buddy. Reporting me and warning me for this is a new low. This is why this forum is a joke and everyone knows the mods are just going after people who have views besides Ole is god. Ole views aside, it is pretty clear the team behind him isn't good as well. There's a reason Phelan ended up in the A-League after SAF left. Also why people question what he does. How come we never see a thread titled 'Just what does Carlos Queiroz do?'.
Genuinely think we once had a thread that asked that.

Also I didn't report you, someone else did. It's not because your views differ either as there are plenty of people like that now. It's the way you present it.

If you said it more constructively and explained your thoughts rather than just saying people are numpties and clowns you would've been fine.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus

We're done. This coaching/management setup probably isn't top 20 in the world and we're doubling down on it without any need to. Woodward's final two fingers up at the fans.

VinzentFTW

Supports
Liverpool
How does these contracts work if the manager get sacked? Any clauses?

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!

Woodward’s parting gift after 8 years of shitshow. Shiny 4 year deals for Ole, Phelan, McKenna and Carrick.

This club is so fecked, it’s not even funny.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Genuinely think we once had a thread that asked that.

Also I didn't report you, someone else did. It's not because your views differ either as there are plenty of people like that now. It's the way you present it.

If you said it more constructively and explained your thoughts rather than just saying people are numpties and clowns you would've been fine.
Querioz used to get loads of abuse from United fans. I remember people saying he was ruining the club and was clueless tactically. Wasn't until we won the league in 2007 when fans started to ease off him.

GBBQ

The manager picks his coaching staff and when he extends his contract its natural enough that the backroom staff will extend their contract to match (assuming they are still wanted by the manager). I don't think there's any decision making from the board only to trust Ole's decisions on staff.

youngrell

And where did Queiroz end up? Both enjoyed success with Sir Alex, neither did without him. Weird take.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
He was the assistant manager to SAF I disliked the most. I really disliked his team.

Last edited:

Rajma

It’s a smart decision on behalf of the board you don’t want our star players going into the matches worrying that Carrick and McKenna can be poached by other big clubs at any time. It gives them the feeling of confidence and stability. It’s all part of the highly successful asset protection strategy that we’re rolling out within the club. This decision needs to be assessed from long-term perspective and that’s where board are seeing the real benefits, which sometimes can go missing with average fan. That’s why they’re getting paid top dollar when on the surface it may look unconventional.

Last edited:

youngrell

He was the assistant manager to SAF I disliked the most. I really disliked his team.
What was it you disliked, considering what we won while he was assistant to Sir Alex? Playing style?

And was it actually down to Phelan or the fact the squad was worse during this period due to underinvestment and ageing stars?

Bebestation

What was it you disliked, considering what we won while he was assistant to Sir Alex? Playing style?

And was it actually down to Phelan or the fact the squad was worse during this period due to underinvestment and ageing stars?
Well it was a mix of both.

You could clearly see Queiroz's influence on SAF's second United CL. The tactics, the type of players - I'm not saying it was all his, but bits of it was there.

I just found the Phelan assistant influence on SAF Post 2008 felt like we went back a bit in time a bit. Players like Javier Hernandez, Cleverley, Ashley Young, Antonio Valencia etc.

It's not just the players we bought - it's the way we played football.

Going from that Ronaldo, Rooney and Tevez thing to Welbeck, kagawa, Evans and Powell etc.

Just as much as I can't give Queiroz all the reasoning behind United's arguably best team because SAF deserves that - neither can phelan not receive some of the blame of that last SAF team(s) that everyone feels should have played better and been left to a better state for the next manager(s).

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Don't know what folks are upset about. This is the 'United Way'. It's our own version of 'more than a club'. We're about tradition, nostalgia, history, legacy and past glories.

This is another piece of brand management, and it fits right into the brand bible. It's great!

It's way easier to sell the past than create something new. Just look at the entertainment industry. Why do you think Ronaldo is here?

We've become a tribute act. Passable resembalnce, decent sounds maybe featuring the original bassist.

youngrell

Well it was a mix of both.

You could clearly see Queiroz's influence on SAF's second United CL. The tactics, the type of players - I'm not saying it was all his, but bits of it was there.

I just found the Phelan assistant influence on SAF Post 2008 felt like we went back a bit in time a bit. Players like Javier Hernandez, Cleverley, Ashley Young, Antonio Valencia etc.

It's not just the players we bought - it's the way we played football.

Going from that Ronaldo, Rooney and Tevez thing to Welbeck, kagawa, Evans and Powell etc.

Just as much as I can't give Queiroz all the reasoning behind United's arguably best team because SAF deserves that - neither can phelan not receive some of the blame of that last SAF team(s) that everyone feels should have played better and been left to a better state for the next manager(s).
A lot of the transfer business was out of our hands, though, (Ronaldo, Tevez) and particularly nothing to do with Phelan I'm sure. Or minimal at best.

We still won 3 out of 5 PL titles and got to a further 2 CL finals, whilst being incredibly unlucky in 2 other eliminations in that period.

I agree, mostly nothing stacks up to 2007-08, but I'm not sure it lands heavily on the assistant manager.

Smores

Well to be fair how could Ronaldo and Varane focus on their football without knowing that Phelan had a long term contract.

Bebestation

A lot of the transfer business was out of our hands, though, (Ronaldo, Tevez) and particularly nothing to do with Phelan I'm sure. Or minimal at best.

We still won 3 out of 5 PL titles and got to a further 2 CL finals, whilst being incredibly unlucky in 2 other eliminations in that period.

I agree, mostly nothing stacks up to 2007-08, but I'm not sure it lands heavily on the assistant manager.
I know but I do think it's that simple.

Did we buy players then adapt our tactics to fit them?

Or did we adapt our tactics and potentially change the type of players we bought as a consequence?

Again - not a big influence at all, but that little influence whatever it was, was my least favourite out of the assistant managers.