Mikel Arteta | Lego Pep watch

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
It was a dilemma that was forced by the player. If Sergio Romero had played the last couple of months at the end of last season, done well, but came in demanding he was first choice or he wants to be sold, do you think Ole would have made him first choice for this season?
He faced an almost identical issue with Henderson who’s made no secret of his ambition to be a number one, wherever he plays. That’s where the man management part of his job description comes in. It’s not exactly an unusual challenge for a top flight manager.

Yet Arteta seems to have not only failed to keep Martinez happy, Leno wants to leave now as well. Great stuff all round.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
He faced an almost identical issue with Henderson who’s made no secret of his ambition to be a number one, wherever he plays. That’s where the man management part of his job description comes in. It’s not exactly an unusual challenge for a top flight manager.

Yet Arteta seems to have not only failed to keep Martinez happy, Leno wants to leave now as well. Great stuff all round.
Yeah, Henderson is 4 years younger than Martinez though, & 6 years younger than De Gea, so the dynamics were different. If 1 goalkeeper is demanding to be first choice & you can't guarantee him that then I don't know what you want him to do?

I think we done the right thing by Martinez, we could have insisted he stayed, but because of his service & how highly he is thought off at the club we granted him his move away.

We don't know if the Leno thing is true or if it is why he wants to leave so it's daft to speculate just now. It could be a convenient story to have a go at Arteta with though so let's go with that.

Last edited:

Brophs

The One and Only
A good, solid 0-0 draw gives them a platform for the second leg. Oh....

Skills

Snitch
Never a good look when you get outdone by the guy you were meant to improve on

OleBoiii

He's out, isn't he? There's a limit to how much elite football a team can handle.

prateik

Inject this week's Tuesday Club right into my eyeballs.
feck me. I had no idea they started again.
how long has it been ?

edit: 1 year.. pretty much the start of the lockdown.. how have I missed this :(

RORY65

It's not a particularly good squad and any manager would struggle with those owners and with having to build around youngsters but there still have to be standards and he's fallen short of them, he surely has to be sacked now.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Just not good enough. Wants to be like Pep but doesnt have the players to do it, and too inflexible to adapt.

Big questions around man-management and transfer policy, although the latter is probably not solely on Arteta.

Funny to think that out of the three "homegrowns" who took over around the same sort of time (Solskjaer, Lampard, Arteta) its Ole who is lasting the longest/proving himself the most capable.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
They just said on BT that Arsenal are facing no European football for the first time in 25 years.

He is killing that club. Long may he reign.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Who could get the best of these players, but then again Arteta bought some bad players too.

drdoityourself

They are playing like they are missing 5 pints of blood, each of them. Had a corner in the 90th minute, desperately needing a goal that would possibly salvage a season, they walk, switch a taker, the new taker puts his hand up slowly and casually lofts it far and for no one. The urgency is lost on them.

Aubameyang won a brilliant header over two defenders which came off the post. Arteta was having none of that and immediately pulled him off. He doesn't help himself.

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
He has to go. He can’t coach an attack, and unsurprisingly, that’s made us an abysmal side. The worst performing Arsenal team in 25 years, and even worse than that in terms of entertainment.

Skills

Snitch
Just not good enough. Wants to be like Pep but doesnt have the players to do it, and too inflexible to adapt.

Big questions around man-management and transfer policy, although the latter is probably not solely on Arteta.

Funny to think that out of the three "homegrowns" who took over around the same sort of time (Solskjaer, Lampard, Arteta) its Ole who is lasting the longest/proving himself the most capable.
He doesn't though. His football is shite. Guardiola's team even when they're bad/not performing rack up goals - they had a shocking season last year and still scored 100+ goals. Arsenal are toothless

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
He doesn't though. His football is shite. Guardiola's team even when they're bad/not performing rack up goals - they had a shocking season last year and still scored 100+ goals. Arsenal are toothless
Yup, he’s nothing like Pep. Someone on here nailed it early in his reign, he’s Benitez 2.0.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
I want to back him, I want him to do well, but I really am sick of seeing Arsenal 0 in home games!

Zen86

He doesn’t come across as particularly warm or inspiring, or personable. He could be the greatest tactician to ever grace the game but if the players don’t put a shift in or fight for him then it won’t get him anywhere.

Ludens the Red

Trash manager. He’s been throwing league games and a possible top 6/7 finish for the past month all to focus on Europa. He’s put all the eggs in one basket and failed miserably.

Blood Mage

Will be incredible if he survives the sack again, I've never seen Arsenal this shite before. I would've preferred them to Villareal in the final tbh.