Mikel Arteta | Lego Pep watch

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
It was that FA Cup run that did it. Everyone thought Arsenal were the weakest side remaining in the semis yet they still beat City and Chelsea to win it. There was that win against Liverpool too in the League. That mixed with the whole Pep understudy thing has given the media this image of him being the next big thing.

That's about it. A good run of games has everyone calling him some sort of tactical genius.
I remember arguing with people on here about those games at the time. Pointing out that conceding a zillion shots and relying on Luiz to play some of the best games of his career was not a sustainable way to set up a football team. And here we are.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Sad state of affairs when even Graham Potter would probably be unattainable.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I expect his sacking in the late evening tonight
I’d be extremely surprised. The likes of Ornstein - who seems to have a strong line at Arsenal - have said a few times that Arteta’s position is very secure and he’ll get the summer window at least.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Sad state of affairs when even Graham Potter would probably be unattainable.
I'm hearing rumours of Sarri and I actually think he will be a really good appointment, will at an absolute minimum have you comfortably back in the European places possibly challenging for top four.

Judas

Open to offers
He's proper put a spell on the media, but even now I'm seeing some small adjustments to the notion that he is the best thing since sliced Pep.

Hope he stays longer, be gutted to see Arsenal bin him.

Tarrou

Delaney really nailed his colours to the mast on this Arteta thing didn't he?

the doss cnut

Ace of Spades

And this is why cup runs are just that, it means very little in terms of progress. A league season is far more accurate representation of a team. That FA Cup win already feels like ancient history.

Arteta is not good enough, nothing suggests that he is, and on top of that Arsenal as a club are a mess. They really need to start making smart decisions on transfers and getting a good manger in. But as long as their owners remain, I can't see how they can ever get back to the top.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
And this is why cup runs are just that, it means very little in terms of progress. A league season is far more accurate representation of a team. That FA Cup win already feels like ancient history.

Arteta is not good enough, nothing suggests that he is, and on top of that Arsenal as a club are a mess. They really need to start making smart decisions on transfers and getting a good manger in. But as long as their owners remain, I can't see how they can ever get back to the top.
Tuchel could win 4 trophies by September but I wouldn't be surprised he's sacked before the end of next season. Ultimately winning cups can come down to luck but shouldn't be completely dismissed. It's the week in week out matches of the league that are a true measure of progress.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
I'm hearing rumours of Sarri and I actually think he will be a really good appointment, will at an absolute minimum have you comfortably back in the European places possibly challenging for top four.
Not sure about Sarri to be honest, worries me a bit if he could get this shower to buy into his ideas. We're the definitive club where players just seem to turn up when they want.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Tuchel could win 4 trophies by September but I wouldn't be surprised he's sacked before the end of next season. Ultimately winning cups can come down to luck but shouldn't be completely dismissed. It's the week in week out matches of the league that are a true measure of progress.
Yes. Trophies are really more of an ego thing for some managers.

Chairman Steve

So I’m guessing Miguel Delaney was given an great interview with Arteta at some point, as well as granting first refusal of Arsenal scoops to warrant that level of appraisal? Otherwise what the feck :lol:

Vaibhav Raj

I never understood how most of Arsenal fans were so positive after the 2-1 defeat to Villarreal. I went on Arsenalmania after the first leg to read some meltdown posts and be entertained but instead found mostly positive posts about how Arsenal will go through because they nicked a goal. Given Arsenal's nature I was pretty sure that they will crash out. The delusion is really strong in those fans. They still believe they have a top-top team and something is just holding the squad back.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
I never understood how most of Arsenal fans were so positive after the 2-1 defeat to Villarreal. I went on Arsenalmania after the first leg to read some meltdown posts and be entertained but instead found mostly positive posts about how Arsenal will go through because they nicked a goal. Given Arsenal's nature I was pretty sure that they will crash out. The delusion is really strong in those fans. They still believe they have a top-top team and something is just holding the squad back.
None of the Arsenal fans I know was "so positive" after the Villareal defeat. Literally all of them were at the end of their rope or beyond.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
To be fair, Arsenal do have a good squad. Not amazing but it's good enough to get European football next year or atleast challenge.

Arteta has done a horrendous job but the guy has 0 experience in management so that comes hardly as a shock.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I have heard rumours he's a bit of a twat in person. Can Arsenal fans corroborate this?

SambaBoy

I have heard rumours he's a bit of a twat in person. Can Arsenal fans corroborate this?
A few ex players who played with him have said this. Said he acted like a manager when he was playing, basically brown nosing the management team and not really being one of the players.

On the whole subject, I think Arsenal should potentially give him another season if they think they can see improvement. Success and progression isn't always linear, the same media who wrote he was a managerial genius are probably questioning him now but in 6 months time, it could be a different story again. Their team isn't the best, strong in some areas but lacks a spine.

cala

Supports
Arsenal
This is what you get when you combine a mediocre team with an unexperienced manager, a complete disaster. And that's coming from an Arsenal fan...

Sure, we've had our hopes up after the FA Cup win but after a month in this season it was clear where we were heading, at least for the most of the fans.

kettledrumhamster

I do think a lot of it is optics, he looks the part and talks a good game which convinces a lot of the media he speaks to plus the fact he worked with Guardiola which ignored the reality that Guardiola was hugely successful before working with Arteta and has been since.
On the Guardian Football Weekly podcast only a few months ago, Barry Glendelling and Jonathan Wilson both said they thought Arteta was a better manager than Ole. Asked why, they both agreed that "it's something about the way he carries himself".

These are paid professional football journalists, one famed for being one of the finest tactical historians around.

Jesus.

gorky_utd

They still have a good young squad which is good enough for top 6. Arteta is their biggest problem.

Interval

Level
They still have a good young squad which is good enough for top 6. Arteta is their biggest problem.
They have a good enough squad to come seventh at most. Unless they hire a Klopp like manager, they wouldn't finish ahead of Us, City, Chelsea, Pool and Leicester and most likely Spurs if they didn't have Maureen.

justsomebloke

On the Guardian Football Weekly podcast only a few months ago, Barry Glendelling and Jonathan Wilson both said they thought Arteta was a better manager than Ole. Asked why, they both agreed that "it's something about the way he carries himself".

These are paid professional football journalists, one famed for being one of the finest tactical historians around.

Jesus.
What a stupid reason. You used to hear the same argument made for Lampard.

Which of them is the fine tactical historian? Wilson certainly seems to have some fixed ideas about Ole. Among other things, he appears to still think we play a counterattack style, as if nothing's changed since 2019.

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly
This gif is particularly on the nose, because Big Sam would be doing significantly better with this Arsenal squad than Arteta is.

Doubtful he’d have Migs Delaney swooning in the same fashion, though, so at least Arteta has that going for him.

rotherham_red

Ole had more to build around (including a lot more money and a better side to begin with) but there's no doubt that the arguments about their respective merits are now over and Solskjaer has done a vastly superior job.
Arsenal have bought more players for their first team than Utd have. Ole has sold far more players from the Utd side he inherited than Arteta did. They also have spent and largely wasted massive amounts on the likes of Pepe, Willian, maybe even Partey.

They also finished ahead of Utd in Ole's caretaker season (when Ole was working with Jose's complete squad) and when Arteta was brought in, Arsenal were one point ahead of us.

crossy1686

career ending
What's the point? They'd only sack him in a year or so after Sarri ball failed and then they'd have a couple of players that can only play Sarri ball, who were expensive and useless to the new manager

sugar_kane

Jesus.
Why can't they just grow up and admit it is because Arteta is sexy?

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Why can't they just grow up and admit it is because Arteta is sexy?
A classic example of someone who is good looking getting cut more slack than someone who isn’t.

He’s been very average and if he supposedly needs hugely expensive players for his ‘system’ to work, then he needs another club.