Mikel Arteta | Lego Pep watch

United58

I laughed at this, then realised for all the flak he's only 10points off 1st. League is so tight this season. Given his realistic goal is probably top 8? At absolute best Europa? Actually could end up having a decent season if others like Soton & WHUM drop away.
As shit as they've been, they have 4 wins out of 5, second only to City on form.

reddev3

They will be lucky to win more than 1 in the next 11 fixtures and that one maybe for me is Leeds which the probably won't win either. The Chelsea win was big granted, but the 10 points form the next 4 games were four of the worst teams in the league.

United58

Again though, look who they've played.

It's an improvement from where they were, but people are going overboard talking about him silencing his doubters for feck sake :lol:
Oh yeah absolutely, I think he's been poor and made questionable signings. There are inklings of a turnaround though

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Again though, look who they've played.

It's an improvement from where they were, but people are going overboard talking about him silencing his doubters for feck sake :lol:

He has a long way to go but a lot of the criticism he has faced in this thread has been over the top.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
He has a long way to go but a lot of the criticism he has faced in this thread has been over the top.
Is it?

When they were dog shit, he had absolute no idea what to do. This isn't the same as Ole who at times has had to play the likes of Lindgard and Perreira due to injuries, Arteta has virtually had the same team at his disposal through the whole process.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
At least we are back to winning games (in the main) that we should be winning, which is a step up.

On the plus side, thought Partey looked good. Makes a difference having a midfielder with some level of competence.

Last edited:

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Has anyone did this yet?

:lol:
Has anyone did this yet?

Arteta doesn't have one of the most expensive squad like Ole has. With what he is given, he is doing a good job. Like I stated in my response to this, he needs to find players he can trust and it seems he heeded my advice, with the selection of Rowe and saka in the attack, which has been a reason for their upturn

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Has anyone did this yet?

Arteta doesn't have one of the most expensive squad like Ole has. With what he is given, he is doing a good job. Like I stated in my response to this, he needs to find players he can trust and it seems he heeded my advice, with the selection of Rowe and saka in the attack, which has been a reason for their upturn
Hate to be the one to break it to you...

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
He is doing things that I would have suggested if he asked me assistance. Not many people can mock Amadaeus and get away with it. I just had to let that poster know what is going on at Arsenal at the moment and how they have turned things around
We all know what’s going on at Arsenal and they’ve “turned things round” primarily through the genius tactic of playing really bad teams, that are playing really badly. And even that tactic couldn’t get them a goal in their last PL match.

Halftrack

He is doing things that I would have suggested if he asked me assistance. Not many people can mock Amadaeus and get away with it. I just had to let that poster know what is going on at Arsenal at the moment and how they have turned things around
Your gimmick is worn out at this point, you've become too obvious.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Is it?

When they were dog shit, he had absolute no idea what to do. This isn't the same as Ole who at times has had to play the likes of Lindgard and Perreira due to injuries, Arteta has virtually had the same team at his disposal through the whole process.
Yeah, it’s been undoubtedly over the top imo. And I somewhat get it, Arteta quickly became a media darling and as football tends to do, everything become hyperbolic. He wasn’t just a promising manager, he was already “elite”, he had a cerebral approach and was the second coming of Michels, despite the fairly conservative approach he had.

I think a lot of the most vocal in this thread, aggrieved at the often disrespectful way the media and fans spoke about Solksjaer, have been overzealous in sticking the knife in. There’s been little acknowledgement of the context of the squad, or the position they were in when he took over, or that he’s a completely rookie manager who hasn’t completed a full season yet.

It’s very early days for him, he won the FA cup which was a good sign, and while the football has often been pretty crap to watch there’s obvious signs of how he wants his team to play. I think managers need a little time to bring in players to implement their style and to work on the existing personnel.

I’m not sure what you’re getting at with your Lingard and Peireira point tbh. Other than Partey and a couple free agent transfers Arteta hasn’t been able bring anyone in, so I’m not sure what you’re getting at there.

Traub

We all know what’s going on at Arsenal and they’ve “turned things round” primarily through the genius tactic of playing really bad teams, that are playing really badly. And even that tactic couldn’t get them a goal in their last PL match.
Remember those false dawn threads we used to have? Yeah, Arsenal are in the midst of one of those right now

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Yeah, it’s been undoubtedly over the top imo. And I somewhat get it, Arteta quickly became a media darling and as football tends to do, everything become hyperbolic. He wasn’t just a promising manager, he was already “elite”, he had a cerebral approach and was the second coming of Michels, despite the fairly conservative approach he had.

I think a lot of the most vocal in this thread, aggrieved at the often disrespectful way the media and fans spoke about Solksjaer, have been overzealous in sticking the knife in. There’s been little acknowledgement of the context of the squad, or the position they were in when he took over, or that he’s a completely rookie manager who hasn’t completed a full season yet.

It’s very early days for him, he won the FA cup which was a good sign, and while the football has often been pretty crap to watch there’s obvious signs of how he wants his team to play. I think managers need a little time to bring in players to implement their style and to work on the existing personnel.

I’m not sure what you’re getting at with your Lingard and Peireira point tbh. Other than Partey and a couple free agent transfers Arteta hasn’t been able bring anyone in, so I’m not sure what you’re getting at there.
Some of those shitty teams Liverpool, City & Utd have struggled against mind you.

Withnail

Literally everyone's getting away with it

Loon

Watching their rehearsed goal celebration tonight and the inevitable in-coming Lidl Catalan chest-beating from their fanbase is SO Arsenal.

Makes me look forward to the wheels coming off, but he has thrown a couple of kids in there that are making a difference and they might be on the way up. Sadly.

Based Adnan

Did wonder how long it'd take for him to be praised for doing something (putting the kids in) that he should have done a long time ago

SAFMUTD

I laughed at this, then realised for all the flak he's only 10points off 1st. League is so tight this season. Given his realistic goal is probably top 8? At absolute best Europa? Actually could end up having a decent season if others like Soton & WHUM drop away.
Realistic goal should be top 6 at least. City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs and us have clearly a better squad. But besides that Arsenal is pretty close in quality to Leicester, Everton, Wolves and Southampton. So they have no reason to think top 6 is not realistic.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Premier league is unpredictable. Some bad teams can be tough to beat on their day. They managed a good victory againsy Chelsea, who aren't push over. There isn't any really bad team in this league as the likes of WBA can cause an upset against Liverpool, and many other relegation fighting team can do the same on their day.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Assuming we had money i don't know who we can get for a reasonable fee that could be a good creative midfielder so we don't rely 100% on ESR. Szoboslai is gone (and injured), Buendia isn't really a #10 and not sure he's worth getting fleeced for 35/40M by Norwich who desperatly need him to come back up.
Brandt from Dortmund: meh, some links to Sabitzer and Eriksen who is a definite No...
I think it will probably end up with another loan. Could we try to get Odegaard who is just rotting on Madrid's bench ? Ozil and Sokratis getting shipped off will not make 100M magically appear in the bank and there is only 2 weeks left.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Has anyone did this yet?

Seriously? They are 10th at the moment!

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Assuming we had money i don't know who we can get for a reasonable fee that could be a good creative midfielder so we don't rely 100% on ESR. Szoboslai is gone (and injured), Buendia isn't really a #10 and not sure he's worth getting fleeced for 35/40M by Norwich who desperatly need him to come back up.
Brandt from Dortmund: meh, some links to Sabitzer and Eriksen who is a definite No...
I think it will probably end up with another loan. Could we try to get Odegaard who is just rotting on Madrid's bench ? Ozil and Sokratis getting shipped off will not make 100M magically appear in the bank and there is only 2 weeks left.
It's almost like we don't stand to lose £140M with this pandemic, & that we haven't just taken out £120M loan that needs paid back in May.

In a normal season it's hard to get who you want in January, never mind during a Pandemic. I think Buendia would have been ideal but why would Norwich want to lose him? So yeah, I agree it likely to be a loan signing, if any, & I'm totally fine with that given the circumstances.

In the summer, I don't expect a big splurge, I expect us to spend what we get in, so we need to hope to be lucky getting fees for the likes of Guendouzi & Torriera. Might end up having to sacrifice the likes of Maitland-Niles as well.

francobaresi

What about Isco?

Feed Me

I'm hungry
I like it when there’s a glimmer of light for Arsenal. They’ll be on a downturn again soon enough looking at their fixture list. And then the disappointment will be all the more crushing. Good coaching and young players is nice, but the squad has regressed way too much to be at the top table, and they need serious investment that won’t come.

Bojan11

10 points behind first. The league is tight this season. Moreover, as I stated before Arteta already has some trophies under his name with a subpar squad. He did a good job turning around the earlier poor form and starting to show signs of his earlier performances.
And it has been explained to you about 500 times that teams above them have games in hand. Even below them, Villa have 4 games in hand on them. So they could be 11th.