Mikel Arteta | Lego Pep watch

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
In danger of getting knocked out by Prague given they've a very decent team defensively and can play for 0-0.

18 months and he could well be eliminated in europa by Olympiakos and Slavia Prague and another season where Arsenal don't finish above 8th. Surely he can't survive with that sort of record?

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
In danger of getting knocked out by Prague given they've a very decent team defensively and can play for 0-0.

18 months and he could well be eliminated in europa by Olympiakos and Slavia Prague and another season where Arsenal don't finish above 8th. Surely he can't survive with that sort of record?
Pretty sure he can, whatever he lacks as a coach, he makes up for in other ways.
He's somehow convinced almost the entire club that this is the new normal, incredible, really.

Wiltord02

Supports
Arsenal
Luckiest manager in the league. Had we had fans in stadiums, I still believe he would have gone after we lost to Burnley at home earlier in the season.

The problem we have is that the club took the cheap option in hiring him in the first place so I have zero confidence he would be replaced by a top coach if he was sacked.

Ludens the Red

To be fair to him. Arsenal don’t have a great squad. You can’t expect them to beat Slavia Prague, the same way you can’t expect them to be above Leeds, Villa, Everton and West Ham.
He’s not a miracle worker.

dinostar77

The demise of arsenal into mediocrity is sad to see. Its their own fault. They ostracized Wenger when he retired. The man should have a seat at the board for life as a minimum for what he has done for arsenal.

Correct me if im wrong, but there are no ex-players through the fabric of that club. Dixon, Keown, Winterburn, Bould, Seaman etc. Try to get them into the fabric of the club. Fergie always went on about how it important it is for a club to have reminders of the standards required for success by having ex-players around. He often back then used Bayern and AC Milan as examples.

Its just a lost club right now. Not sure Arteta is the right guy, but arsenal fans will have a better idea on that.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
The demise of arsenal into mediocrity is sad to see. Its their own fault. They ostracized Wenger when he retired. The man should have a seat at the board for life as a minimum for what he has done for arsenal.

Correct me if im wrong, but there are no ex-players through the fabric of that club. Dixon, Keown, Winterburn, Bould, Seaman etc. Try to get them into the fabric of the club. Fergie always went on about how it important it is for a club to have reminders of the standards required for success by having ex-players around. He often back then used Bayern and AC Milan as examples.

Its just a lost club right now. Not sure Arteta is the right guy, but arsenal fans will have a better idea on that.
Nope.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Luckiest manager in the league. Had we had fans in stadiums, I still believe he would have gone after we lost to Burnley at home earlier in the season.

The problem we have is that the club took the cheap option in hiring him in the first place so I have zero confidence he would be replaced by a top coach if he was sacked.
I’d say Lampard was even luckier to be given the keys to the bank at Chelsea. Arteta should have got rid of Aubemeyang

vodrake

I wonder if Ian Wright still thinks United would win the league if we had Arteta for a manager...

Wiltord02

Supports
Arsenal
I’d say Lampard was even luckier to be given the keys to the bank at Chelsea. Arteta should have got rid of Aubemeyang
Possible that Lampard was luckier though he knew the deal. Succeed or you're gone. Arteta seems to have some sort of "ongoing project" which is leading nowhere. In hindsight, Auba should have gone. However, his form before his new contract was excellent and was a huge part of why we won the FA Cup. He was vastly over performing from the LW position at the end of last season. This season, he has been woeful. Starting to look like a very similar scenario to Ozil...

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
He needs to play Chelsea next, that's the game that bailed him out the last time things got this bad for him

Feels like he's on the brink again now....

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Falling into the same trap as Lampard. He could be gone by the end of the season but it would set Arsenal back even further sacking him.
Would it though? Seems like an instance where the manager is actually just shit rather than just not given time.

Brophs

The One and Only
Maybe Arsenal fans feel differently, but I can't see any particular signs of him being this wonderful coach. The gameplan doesn't look particularly progressive, which is what his acolytes in the media told us he'd bring. He has a pretty middling squad, sure, but quite a lot of those players don't look like they're improving at all.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Would it though? Seems like an instance where the manager is actually just shit rather than just not given time.
Yeah he's no where near as bad as Lampard, tbf he doesn't have the same experience as Lampard as a manager either but still other than making his team hard to beat he's got nothing

Josep Dowling

Falling into the same trap as Lampard. He could be gone by the end of the season but it would set Arsenal back even further sacking him.
Completely disagree. Why would sacking Arteta make them go backwards? He has no prior CV of success but so many people think he’s a good manager just because he worked with Pep.

Arsenal’s problems run deeper than him but he’s a man out of his depth.

AshRK

He will find a way to sneak past Slavia prague in the second leg and all will be fine. Been saying his football is just not sustainable. It is too boring.

crossy1686

career ending
Not everything is immediately fixable. Arsenal haven't signed anyone decent for years and have fallen way behind most of the top 6 to 8 teams in the PL. They need a manager that will stick around for 5 years and build something. Swapping managers every season or two, with different styles, who want different players, is just going to leave them in a bigger mess with a bunch of average players that can't play together.

Give him 5 years or get rid and give it someone else.

RORY65

It's a difficult one because that squad isn't very good and the only thing they have going for them is the young players so I get the idea of wanting to build gradually with them under a young manager who has worked under one of the best rather than appoint a big name who will want significant money, which they've previously been unwilling to spend, and might be less patient with those young players.

The problem is he has no track record to fall back on at the moment while things aren't going very well (I'm not sure I know how he wants to play) so they need a lot of faith to believe he's going to be the man to be the man to get it right and it's a level of belief that I wouldn't have and I don't know if they will have for much longer given that there's no evidence that it will work.

crossy1686

career ending
Completely disagree. Why would sacking Arteta make them go backwards? He has no prior CV of success but so many people think he’s a good manager just because he worked with Pep.

Arsenal’s problems run deeper than him but he’s a man out of his depth.
They need to give him the time to build something decent of give that time to someone else. They have no clear style or direction, that's the issue.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Everytime this year and before I saw Arsenal fecking up I was always thinking they surely have to come back, not straight to TOP 4 but perhaps fight for it, but they happen to be such a past it team. Don't know what happened, owners don't spend money is one issue but surel bad management is another. Would bet Liverpool didn't drastically outspend them..

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa

They don't have British players around but Edu works in some sort of sporting director role and Ljungberg and Mertsacker are in the academy so it's not too different to Man. United with likes of Darren Fletcher, Carrick and until very recently Nicky Butt.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
If Lacazette doesn't miss a 1vs1, & Cedric & Gabriel put the ball up the park instead of fecking about in the 93rd minute, we win 2-0 & big favourites to go through. He must be pulling his Lego head hair out!