Mikel Arteta | Lego Pep watch

Terminator

Arsenal dominating wasn't just through sheer effort and energy, there was structure to what they were doing, mainly the '5 second win back the ball rule'. It's pretty obvious that once Arteta fitness levels are reached, they are going to be dangerous.

Am I the only one of the forum who thinks Arsenal have struck gold with Arteta?
And he did this in a week? Or is it because players who have downed tools started playing again? Luiz, Xhaka, Sokratis etc.., who struggled to perform the basics can't have learned the art of pressing in the span of 7 days for sure.

The thing is no one knows until the guy is in charge for atleast 6-12 months. He might be turn out to be incredible but it's impossible to say anything with the first 10-15 games no matter how well they do.

mu4c_20le

Ole had us playing gegenfootbal in his first three games. High pressing, fast tempo, passing triangles in the final third.. Arteta gave his team a much needed lift, but it doesn't take a genius to nullify Fred and Matic, or to isolate and take Martial out of the game, otherwise all the bottom table clubs that we dropped points to would also be geniuses. Let's see how they finish the season before jumping the gun like some did when Jose got Spurs firing again in his first few games.

Hoof the ball

Crazy how similar this is to Ole. :lol:

Blowing teams out of the park in the first half on pure effort, extreme tiredness in the second and defending deep while the fans are hoping this is somehow a temporary fitness problem because of the lethargic play style of the previous manager. Pretty sure they will have some inspirational win in the Europa League at some point before reality sets in.
There are differences. Organisationally, I mean. For one thing, Arteta's team press much higher up the field, and they do so collectively in packs, and with greater regularity. That's not to say that Ole's initial games didn't have a press, however, it didn't look anything like what we're seeing with Arteta. If pressing was just reduced to individuals and mere effort levels, then it would be comparable, however, Arsenal have run more off-the-ball in these three Christmas games than we did this time last year. It's inevitable that Arsenal would show fatigue after playing their third game in one week with this level of intensity. It's not normative, and of course, with games more and more sporadically placed, it's going to be easier to manage that fatigue for them.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
There are differences. Organisationally, I mean. For one thing, Arteta's team press much higher up the field, and they do so collectively in packs, and with greater regularity. That's not to say that Ole's initial games didn't have a press, however, it didn't look anything like what we're seeing with Arteta. If pressing was just reduced to individuals and mere effort levels, then it would be comparable, however, Arsenal have run more off-the-ball in these three Christmas games than we did this time last year. It's inevitable that Arsenal would show fatigue after playing their third game in one week with this level of intensity. It's not normative, and of course, with games more and more sporadically placed, it's going to be easier to manage that fatigue for them.
Plus, an organized press is more sustainable than a rabid press where everyone is just running up and down. You can rotate the pressers through a game and through the season

Che Guevara

Supports
Celtic
If they hired a more "qualified" manager like Moyes or Ancelotti they would have put 5 past us, thank goodness for the inexperienced fraud.
But you beat a vastly experienced Guardiola side away with exactly the same team apart from McTominay, so your comment doesn't make much sense or logic.

0le

How are people able to talk about how Arteta manages a team and his tactics, when he has managed precisely three football games? At least judge him after his team goes through a sticky patch and the influence of the new manager bounce is over. This will take at least half a season...It could well be that this time next season, people will be calling for his head.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
The only true thing is United were rubbish and Arsenal was a lot better than what they've shown previously.
Under Emery i would often find myself asking "Where the feck is X ?" when we were defending. You just have to look at the average shape of the team under Emery and the one during those last 3 games to see that there is a lot of improvement. Just having Torreira playing in his true position was worth the millions it cost to sack Emery.

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
The only true thing is United were rubbish and Arsenal was a lot better than what they've shown previously.
Under Emery i would often find myself asking "Where the feck is X ?" when we were defending. You just have to look at the average shape of the team under Emery and the one during those last 3 games to see that there is a lot of improvement. Just having Torreira playing in his true position was worth the millions it cost to sack Emery.
Yes, not trying to play Torreira as a 10 (when he had Ozil!) and in his proper position has done wonders. Who would have thought? We actually now have what looks like some sort of functional midfield which can protect the defence and link up with our front 4. It’s early days yet of course but IMO our performances have been much better, how much is just the “new manager bounce “ remains to be seen but after so little to smile about this season, I’m pleased.

croadyman

I was very impressed with what I saw from him last night and there is no doubt that he totally schooled Ole in all facets of the game, you can definitely see that he has been working closely with Guardiola and whatever he has taught him is definitely rubbing off on Arteta. He quite clearly knows how he wants his teams to play after a couple of weeks and is able to get that across to his players whilst Ole still hasn't got a clue after just over a year in charge.

littleman

Ole had us playing gegenfootbal in his first three games. High pressing, fast tempo, passing triangles in the final third.. Arteta gave his team a much needed lift, but it doesn't take a genius to nullify Fred and Matic, or to isolate and take Martial out of the game, otherwise all the bottom table clubs that we dropped points to would also be geniuses. Let's see how they finish the season before jumping the gun like some did when Jose got Spurs firing again in his first few games.
this is hilarious.. first using a word few Understand then explaining it next sentence. What for? To impress?

ole has been having us play mostly sheittefutbal in this season. tumescent, boring and static plays relying on singular moments in the final third

BergkamptoOvermars

Supports
Arsenal
Your right Fred and Matic are nothing players; but we also performed well against Bournemouth and should have beaten Chelsea comfortably.

tenpoless

I love how all the football Einsteins always use fancy words like 'gegenpress', 'gegenfootball', 'sarriball', 'tiki-taka' but even Pep himself said He hates the word tiki-taka and that it's a pointless tactic. There's a big chance that the managers themselves don't use those terms.

mu4c_20le

this is hilarious.. first using a word few Understand then explaining it next sentence. What for? To impress?

ole has been having us play mostly sheittefutbal in this season. tumescent, boring and static plays relying on singular moments in the final third
What does this season have anything to do with this thread? Aren't there enough threads already for you to take a dump on our manager.

lordbaelish

Supports
Arsenal
Why didn't ljunberg make a bounce if the current form is just a bounce ??

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
How are people able to talk about how Arteta manages a team and his tactics, when he has managed precisely three football games? At least judge him after his team goes through a sticky patch and the influence of the new manager bounce is over. This will take at least half a season...It could well be that this time next season, people will be calling for his head.
But he's done the same thing in all those three matches. Enough to make a judgement imo. And also impressive that he's managed to get his ideas across in such a short time. The increased workrate you can attribute to the new manager bounce or whatever, but the shape of the team is Artetas doing.

redDNA

Supports
Enyimba FC of Aba
From what I saw then play against us and Chelsea ,they were organized,press collectively and had a clear pattern of play, Arteta is a potentially good manager and I'm afraid that he will continue to do well after they new manager bounce.

These are early days,but I think that he maybe tactically better than Lampard and Ole.

The only downside is that Arsenal will burn out before the end of the season,this was also the case during Klopp's early days.

Like Klopp he needs to retain the ball when they're winning to conserve their energy,he needs a bigger squad and better quality to rotate and prevent fartigue .

littleman

What does this season have anything to do with this thread? Aren't there enough threads already for you to take a dump on our manager.
Apparently not enough for you to let Ole take a dump on our club

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
If anyone has a subscription to The Athletic, there's a really good piece from Michael Cox on Arteta's tactics in his first three games in charge.

It's a little more in depth than "the players are just running around more".

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Such a stupid clickbait headline. All the article shows is that the team has the rudiments of a new tactical plan, one with some similarities to Manchester City (and its not making any new points that haven't been made by other tactical breakdowns) I'm happy with Arteta so far but people really need to pump the breaks a bit.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Something needs to be done about the diving and cheating from Arsenal. It's out of hand. Completely spoiled the game tonight.

Lacazette spent the whole 90 minutes throwing some kind of prolonged tantrum, Xhaka could have had 4 yellow cards. Pepe and Xhaka both just throw themselves on the floor whenever anyone goes near them. Same with their right back.

It undermines any credibility the refs have left when they just ignore stuff like this or actually give ,decisions in Arsenal's favour for it. It's not like they even try to hide it.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I have seen posts saying "it took less than 1 game to implement his style". I don't know what style people are talking about. They press better now but in 3 games at home they had less than 50% possession. Against Chelsea and Leeds they had 42% possession.

I don't think that's what Arteta wanted to implement.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Something needs to be done about the diving and cheating from Arsenal. It's out of hand. Completely spoiled the game tonight.

Lacazette spent the whole 90 minutes throwing some kind of prolonged tantrum, Xhaka could have had 4 yellow cards. Pepe and Xhaka both just throw themselves on the floor whenever anyone goes near them. Same with their right back.

It undermines any credibility the refs have left when they just ignore stuff like this or actually give ,decisions in Arsenal's favour for it. It's not like they even try to hide it.
oh feck off. Christ, everyone's at it.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Miracle worker.
Don't know if that's ironic or not but this game is 100% lost under Emery. Crazy that we could even have won it with that Pepe shot off the post.
Annoying to lose Auba against Chelsea, he will surely play Nelson on the wing and put Martinelli later on if there is something to get out of the game.

Denis' cuff

"Same old Arsenal..."

Zoo

2 wins out of 6 games (1 league win). Isn’t he amazing?

ariveded

He getting 3.5 years contract makes it worse. An expensive mistake...

mu4c_20le

Best achievement so far is beating us, drawing with sheffield was pretty much expected. I wonder what his season objectives are? Top 6? or total rebuild

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
2 wins out of 6 games (1 league win). Isn’t he amazing?
All those posters strumming one out over his first game appear to be awfully quiet right now...

Guy Incognito

TBF Arteta's problem has been his side unable to kill off games when they've led.

He definitely needs to buy defenders and a midfielder though.

el3mel

Best achievement so far is beating us, drawing with sheffield was pretty much expected. I wonder what his season objectives are? Top 6? or total rebuild
This season is a write off probably. He got the job with them being at a very bad position. Next season will be a more accurate evaluation of his abilities. Though I still think he'll fail and get sacked eventually, even if he's not poor, I actually think he has a good potential, but this a pretty terrible job to start your career with.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Obviously it's a very tough job for him and it'll take him time for him to improve things but genuinely some of the comments here when Arsenal defeated us were hilarious.