Mikel Arteta | Lego Pep watch

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Everytime I watch them they play with decent intensity for the first 10-20 minutes and look like they could score and then for the rest of the game the other team dominates them. They're so poor right now.
I posted this before lockdown and it's still the same scenario. Game was a bit more even but they still play the first minutes of the game with intensity and then end up drawing or losing (Same against City).

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I can at least understand Ole getting the job on the back of a career as a manager, albeit at U21s, Cardiff and Molde, followed by a good caretaker spell. What exact evidence did Arsenal have that Arteta could even handle the role having done nothing but shadow Pep around for a couple of seasons?

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
tbf to Arteta this is the worst Arsenal team in the PL era, if it weren't for Aubameyang they'd be in a relegation battle

Zoo

I can at least understand Ole getting the job on the back of a career as a manager, albeit at U21s, Cardiff and Molde, followed by a good caretaker spell. What exact evidence did Arsenal have that Arteta could even handle the role having done nothing but shadow Pep around for a couple of seasons?
Yeah and Lampard did a season at Derby. It seems being Pep’s assistant counts for a lot

Walters_19_MuFc

Hmmmm. Wonder if Arsenal will persist with him next season? He's shown nothing to suggest he'll be good enough going forward.

UpWithRivers

Who would sign for Arsenal now? All this talk of Partey going there. Why would he do something that stupid! If they loose Auba they are screwed.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Emery took the same side almost much higher and reached EL final.
It's not the same side though is it, there's no Ramsey in this side, rightly or wrongly there's no Ozil either

Arteta is playing with kids and liabilities like Luiz

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
The squad is terrible but decisions like playing Aubameyang left wing are on him. As are keeping Ozil on the bench and instead turning to the likes of Willock, Nelson and Nketiah.

mu4c_20le

Kept Martinelli on the bench for some mysterious reason. I guess the honeymoon period is over

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
It's just a really average squad. Big players like Ozil and Aubameyang in their 30s and not really wanting to be there and a very mediocre defence and midfield.

They've won 9 games all season. Teams in relegation zone have won 7. Won two away games and one was on opening day v Newcastle so really 1 away win in 6 months.

Seem to be hanging their hat on bringing through youth players but that only tends to work if you have a good core of senior players. Chelsea have that, Arsenal don't.

flappyjay

Who would sign for Arsenal now? All this talk of Partey going there. Why would he do something that stupid! If they loose Auba they are screwed.
He is on 30k a week. If any decent ucl side promises him whatever arsenal is promising him I bet he would join that team.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
He carried some Lucozade bottles.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
The squad is terrible but decisions like playing Aubameyang left wing are on him. As are keeping Ozil on the bench and instead turning to the likes of Willock, Nelson and Nketiah.
Martinelli being unused is really bizarre as he's looked excellent at times in the cups. Thought he'd be a cert to start today.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
He's made a big mistake going to Arsenal for his first job but he doesn't look like someone brought up by Pep, his tactics are cowardly.

He parks the jumbo jet whenever they get a lead and sometimes from the start (Stamford Bridge and The Ethiad). Did he overestimate the squad when he agreed to join?

A lot of sources close to City have said he's legit and a potential top coach in the making but like AVB coming to manage Chelsea he may have took a step like this not only too quickly but at the worst possible time.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Loving Maupay’s quotes on Arsenal chirping off, presumably after Leno’s injury:
At half time I went to the manager Mikel Arteta to apologise. I never meant to injure the keeper. I jumped for the ball. I apologise to the team and to him as well. I have been through a bad injury, it is hard.

Arsenal players maybe need to learn humility sometimes. They were talking a lot. They got what they deserved.

I just went to get the ball really. When he landed he twisted his knee. It is football, there is contact. I never meant to hurt him. I apologise again and wish him a speedy recovery.

Guy Incognito

It's just a really average squad. Big players like Ozil and Aubameyang in their 30s and not really wanting to be there and a very mediocre defence and midfield.

They've won 9 games all season. Teams in relegation zone have won 7. Won two away games and one was on opening day v Newcastle so really 1 away win in 6 months.

Seem to be hanging their hat on bringing through youth players but that only tends to work if you have a good core of senior players. Chelsea have that, Arsenal don't.
They draw too many games.

Defeat today could just be written off as bad luck, but they just have a habit of shooting themselves in the foot. Time and time again.

Cloud7

How the feck have they won only 9 games all season. For a club like Arsenal, in a PL that has more cannon fodder in it than usual, that’s simply nowhere near good enough.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He's made a big mistake going to Arsenal for his first job but he doesn't look like someone brought up by Pep, his tactics are cowardly.

He parks the jumbo jet whenever they get a lead and sometimes from the start (Stamford Bridge and The Ethiad). Did he overestimate the squad when he agreed to join?

A lot of sources close to City have said he's legit and a potential top coach in the making but like AVB coming to manage Chelsea he may have took a step like this not only too quickly but at the worst possible time.
There is a huge difference between being a top coach and a top manager TBF. Being able to inspire the team, good management, being able to effectively communicate your ideas and all. He didn't have to deal with any of that at City.

His case actually reminds me a lot of Meulensteen - An absolutely top coach - among the best in the world, but when he's been a poor manager

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea

I don't think the youth players are good enough even if the did have a senior core, Saka's their best but even he's a level below Greenwood and CHO.

The rest are on par with the one's we tried to promote 10 years ago, potential exception being Martenelli.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
There is a huge difference between being a top coach and a top manager TBF. Being able to inspire the team, good management, being able to effectively communicate your ideas and all. He didn't have to deal with any of that at City.

His case actually reminds me a lot of Meulensteen - An absolutely top coach - among the best in the world, but when he's been a poor manager
That's a good shout actually, i remember being quite curious when Meulensteen got the Fulham job as he was gaining heavy praise at the time.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I don't think the youth players are good enough even if the did have a senior core, Saka's their best but even he's a level below Greenwood and CHO.

The rest are on par with the one's we tried to promote 10 years ago.
Yeah can see likes of Willock, Maitland Niles and Nkeiteh all being at a Burnley or Sheffield United in a few years time.

Martinelli has looked good in the cups but he's been an unused sub in the two games so looks like Arteta dosen't rate him much.:lol:

I do think the Chelsea ones have been helped by having excellent senior guys like Aziplicueta, Kante, Giroud and Rudiger all around.

pascell

Think he's won 16 from a possible 36 points as manager, thats a great points tally so far and lost 2 in 2 so far post the break. If they lose Aubameyang and they don't replace his goals, he could be gone by Christmas.

diarm

I'm not proud of how much I enjoy watching Arsenal lose like that.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
To be fair to him, he has an impossible job. A dressing room full of difficult characters, no leaders, no money and no support.

He won’t make it out of 2020 and will probably be relieved when it’s done.

Utdstar01

Think he's won 16 from a possible 36 points as manager, thats a great points tally so far and lost 2 in 2 so far post the break. If they lose Aubameyang and they don't replace his goals, he could be gone by Christmas.
:confused:

Nick7

I haven’t been that impressed with them under him. In the summer there was a lot of talk about how he’d bring a real identity to Arsenal’s football. But they just seem the exact same as ever. Shambling, and aimless for long parts of every game. Even when they beat us they weren’t better than good, we helped them. But then again, they have a shambolic squad and their purchases under Arteta haven’t helped.

This is very true.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah can see likes of Willock, Maitland Niles and Nkeiteh all being at a Burnley or Sheffield United in a few years time.

Martinelli has looked good in the cups but he's been an unused sub in the two games so looks like Arteta dosen't rate him much.:lol:

I do think the Chelsea ones have been helped by having excellent senior guys like Aziplicueta, Kante, Giroud and Rudiger all around.
I agree but with us it's been a two way street. As much as having a core has i imagine helped them settle i think we have mainly our young boys to thank for being 4th in my opinion, whenever we've lost/drew a senior player has been at fault more than a young un, for example against Arsenal at home CHO created about 6 clear chances (one an assist) but his work was ruined due to Emerson twice, he should have been back when Kante slipped and then he didn't kick the ball out when Tammy was injured despite another one of the youngsters (Mount) screaming at him to do so, which lead to Arsenal equalizing again.

flappyjay

That 72m for Pepe was a really bad investment. They had a weak midfield(also lost Ramsey) and a shit defense last season and they spent less on these positions.

BigDunc9

Supports
Everton
He's the sort of managerial appointment I expect Everton to usually make and I thought we was actually going to but thankfully we finally made a good appointment for once. You even had a lot of people in the media trying to say Arsenal made the right decision to go for Arteta over Carlo but the people saying that was definitely trying to think of themselves as some sort of footballer hipster.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
Pretty crazy he hasn't given 1 minute to Martinelli out of 10 substitutions

AshRK

That's a good point. Even in the city documentary I found him very reserved and nothing in that suggested he would be a good manager. Ofcourse judging someone based on a documentary may not be correct but I have not seen anything special from him so far.

RooneyLegend

What's he supposed to do with that squad? Theoretically let's assume he intends to play Pepesque football, do people really think it's possible with that bunch? He'll live and die by his signings.

Giving Auba a huge contract would be a mistake. They need to blow it up and prepare for the season after the next one.