Mikel Arteta | Lego Pep watch

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Oh my. I presume Chef 123 has retired his membership and moved to Rio de Janeiro. Scarlet for him.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
I don’t actually think we’ve been bad tbf, just can’t score :lol: Seeing everyone else struggling in the league so far has eased my nerves a bit
Yep still playing good enough footy. Actually impressive against Leeds I thought. It’s the lack of cutting edge which I’m referring to.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Hes more against taking risks and creating chances than Van Gaal was. Been almost a year, they show no intent to move and open up space under him. Its all play out of the back but easy safe pass every time, until a hoof forward and hope the front 3 do something. You're laughing if you think he's a next Pep.

OneUnited24

Yep still playing good enough footy. Actually impressive against Leeds I thought. It’s the lack of cutting edge which I’m referring to.
I agree with the lack of a cutting edge but i disagree with their style of play. A few crosses here and there, side ways passing and a rarely a shot from distance. Really reminds me LvG football (second season) which I detested. If you have the right players that style of football is good on the eyes but without them it looks very boring and Vulnerable.

Probably explains why city have looked very off the b this season

acnumber9

It’s kind of flown under the radar just how dull Arsenal are under Arteta. I can’t imagine Aubameyang is enjoying playing as a second left back.

edcunited1878

He's made his attacking lines so flat and players are vertically so far from each other through the central part of the pitch.

Draw a line across his two or three central midfield players...they usually are on the same line from touchline to touchline. Then draw vertical lines from where the central mids are towards their 3 forwards...there's nobody between.

The width comes from Bellerin and Tierney with the 3 forwards within the same flat line across the width of the 18 yard box.

Defensively, they have made themselves compact. They hope teams press them because they'll try to string two passes from the back and one ball vertically/around the corner and hope their player wins the ball and then play a quick switch for an overload on the opposite flank or just play the ball in behind into space for a cross or shot when the defense is pulled apart.

Would be interesting to see if Ole rolls out 3 CBs against Arsenal and I think if he does, he has to consider starting only out of Maguire or Lindelof, with Tuanzebe and Shaw as the right and left center backs.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
They were dire. Emery atleast had some nice moments at times but Arteta is just underwhelming. Kind of us with Ole.

Wenger is so underappreciated imo. He plays attacking football ,gets the top 4 consistently with no support from the board.

Nickelodeon

I have never seen such a boring Arsenal team. Even under Emery, intentionally or not, their matches were always a good watch.

Glideman

They were dire. Emery atleast had some nice moments at times but Arteta is just underwhelming. Kind of us with Ole.

Wenger is so underappreciated imo. He plays attacking football ,gets the top 4 consistently with no support from the board.
No way is Ole as bad as Arteta or as boring. Either you don’t watch enough arsenal or united games.

meamth

It's fun taking a jibe at Ole. Even in Arteta's thread.

No way it is similar.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
People are overreacting, and recency bias is showing. Arsenal were hilariously hopeless under Emery. There are signs of improvement under Arteta, unfortunately.

I don’t think people realise quite how bad they were before he came in. These things don’t happen overnight. This isn’t to say he will definitely be a success, because I’m really not sure, but one should not have unrealistic expectations considering the performances pre-Arteta. In particular, away from home.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
People are overreacting, and recency bias is showing. Arsenal were hilariously hopeless under Emery. There are signs of improvement under Arteta, unfortunately.

I don’t think people realise quite how bad they were before he came in. These things don’t happen overnight. This isn’t to say he will definitely be a success, because I’m really not sure, but one should not have unrealistic expectations considering the performances pre-Arteta. In particular, away from home.
Not me, i've been saying for a while now he's getting overrated, yes he won a domestic cup but so has McLeish, Souness, past it LVG, Martinez, Redknapp and Ramos, Pardew came within seconds of doing the same. The way knockout football is you can win the CL or World Cup and still be no great shakes as a manager let alone a domestic cup.

The fact Emery's end period is being used as his main source of defense is very telling, and also has to be noted Unai's first full season with an inferior squad to their present one had them in a tight top 4 race and a European final, if Arteta emulates that this season he'll get wanked off into a coma.

Skills

Snitch
It's worth remembering Arteta spent far more of his career learning his trade under David Moyes, than Wenger or Guardiola.

It's funny how his time at Everton is almost brushed aside now, as if he was someone who spent his career at top level clubs. He didn't - he had a bang average career until Arsenal took him.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
It's worth remembering Arteta spent far more of his career learning his trade under David Moyes, than Wenger or Guardiola.

It's funny how his time at Everton is almost brushed aside now, as if he was someone who spent his career at top level clubs. He didn't - he had a bang average career until Arsenal took him.
McLeish at Rangers aswell.

That said i did really like him as a player, especially in the late 00's use to enjoy watching him glide past players from the right wing.

Pagh Wraith

Which signs are these? Their performance metrics are worse under Arteta than under Emery. If anything there has been a bizzare overreaction on here to a few good results they've had.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
This is why you should not appoint "Ex players" straight into top football management

The only "ex Players" that's remarkably successful is PEP Guardiola, the rest is meh.
That's just not true :lol:

Plenty of ex players been in management or currently in management that are doing superb jobs.

Pep's Suit

Lost 3 of first 6 games with some tough games next. But honestly... Arsenal is a 6th to 8th team now, that should be their level.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
That was you though. God this forum can be so bipolar :lol:
Beautiful :lol:

It does kind of sum up the internet in a way. People say whatever they feel in the moment, which is fair enough, but we say so many things we lose track of what our opinion on something was just a short while earlier.

It reminds me this

trims

Supports
Arsenal
Not me, i've been saying for a while now he's getting overrated, yes he won a domestic cup but so has McLeish, Souness, past it LVG, Martinez, Redknapp and Ramos, Pardew came within seconds of doing the same. The way knockout football is you can win the CL or World Cup and still be no great shakes as a manager let alone a domestic cup.

The fact Emery's end period is being used as his main source of defense is very telling, and also has to be noted Unai's first full season with an inferior squad to their present one had them in a tight top 4 race and a European final, if Arteta emulates that this season he'll get wanked off into a coma.
It's not Emery's end period that's being used as a source. Embarrassing losses in his first season at home in the EFL cup against Tottenham and then the Fa Cup to Man utd where he turned us into a meme. Emery inherited a solid squad from Wenger that could play free-flowing football and its no surprise he went on a strong run in the first half of the season. He stripped away any attacking flow we had and he's been on a downward trend during his last 12 months. Only reason Top 4 was close was that everyone else was poor. Last 7 games of his first season he lost 4 to midtable teams. Completely bottled it and no point trying to repaint his disastrous time here in a positive image.

Not sure how you think he had an inferior squad, he had the same squad Arteta had so far with Ramsey and Mkihi who I would gladly have back over Pepe and Ceballios and then he had Koscielny who's comparable to Luiz/Gabriel.

Emery was averaging 1.54 ppg in his last 35 PL games. Arteta has averaged 1.62 ppg since taking over and giving him a 5 game grace period where he started slowly he's averaged 1.75 ppg. Over 38 games, that ppg average gives you 66 points which got top 4 last season and might well do this season given how poor Chelsea, Utd and Tottenham have been this season.

InfiniteBoredom

It's funny how his time at Everton is almost brushed aside now, as if he was someone who spent his career at top level clubs. He didn't - he had a bang average career.
Fixed.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I don't know what to make of Arsenal yet. They've lost 3 out of 6 games so far but only 1 of those defeats was unexpected. Nobody would have expected them to beat Liverpool and City away. Their style of play under Arteta has surprised me though. He was built up as some kind of Pep disciple.

Denis' cuff

They’ve just gone back to being the same old boring cnuts that they always were. Wenger was a mere blip. Doesn’t anyone even remember his predecessor George Graham and every other dour, win at all costs fecker before him?

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
They’ve just gone back to being the same old boring cnuts that they always were. Wenger was a mere blip. Doesn’t anyone even remember his predecessor George Graham and every other dour, win at all costs fecker before him?
Remember it well. To put it into perspective, Wenger inherited that defence and never had a better one subsequently.

Last 2 games; 1 point out of 6...Arteta is a genius!
Ole last 2 games; 4 points out of 6...let's sack him!

JNicholas

Supports
Arsenal
Lost 3 of first 6 games with some tough games next. But honestly... Arsenal is a 6th to 8th team now, that should be their level.
Bit harsh considering Arsenal have played Leicester City + Liverpool and Man City away. I'd say 9-12 points is about right. They have also conceded the least goals in the league bar Villa.

Inigo Montoya

Bit harsh considering Arsenal have played Leicester City + Liverpool and Man City away. I'd say 9-12 points is about right. They have also conceded the least goals in the league bar Villa.
The lack of ambition against City was bemusing though. It was a 'hope for a counter attack' tactic. Same yesterday really. I know the teams they've played but this Leicester got well and truly stuffed 3-0 by West Ham

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Yeah, this is definitely a case of not knowing what you had until its gone.

Arteta's arsenal reminds me of Houllier's Liverpool. Right down to being overly reliant on a pacey top class goalscorer to hold it all together. Except I think Houllier had far better material to work with.

Dire times for arsenal fans these days. Not sure they are a top six team in any sense of the word anymore.

Inigo Montoya

Except win the FA Cup. Bit harsh to judge Arteta after 6 league games.
The harshest criticism he's getting is from the Arsenal faithful mate. If you're still starting Mustafi, and think he's a player for a potential top 4 side, then you're going to take some stick

Castia

Except win the FA Cup. Bit harsh to judge Arteta after 6 league games.
Really poor league form though, 8 points less than Emery after 26 games is terrible.

He’s got away with murder in the press, everything I’ve ever seen has been positive I didn’t even realise his league form. Everything I’ve read you would have thought Arteta is the next coming of Pep.

Strange one

JNicholas

Supports
Arsenal
Really poor league form though, 8 points less than Emery after 26 games is terrible.

He’s got away with murder in the press, everything I’ve ever seen has been positive I didn’t even realise his league form. Everything I’ve read you would have thought Arteta is the next coming of Pep.

Strange one
The sensationalism by the press is ridiculous. It's Arteta's first job as a manager - he will make mistakes, but overall Arsenal are in a much better place.

Lacazette's goal should have stood yesterday. I'm astonished it isn't being spoken about much in the press.

Emery did actually have a really good first 20 -25 games as Arsenal manager

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
It's fun taking a jibe at Ole. Even in Arteta's thread.

No way it is similar.
Jibe ? It's my fecking opinion. Disagree ? Feel free.

Similar in the sense - the fans know they are not good enough but keep coming up with the bad management shit or "not good enough " player arguments.

Inigo Montoya

This is why you should not appoint "Ex players" straight into top football management

The only "ex Players" that's remarkably successful is PEP Guardiola, the rest is meh.
He couldn't fail with what he had at Barca :lol:

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
There is no way Arteta is going to sit back like Lampard right? He is going to be forced to play more aggressive and attack which will play in our hand.

Arteta build up play is often use the width. I often see the defense to offer passing option in the wide area which automatically when their players like DM or centre back being pressed they knew there is an option in the wide area and just pass it there. But other than that, I haven’t seen enough quality creativity in the final third in arsenal squad and Ozil is left out of the squad :lol:

This is what caused trouble to any manager including Ole last season. You can’t expect consistency result & performance if you don’t have quality creative players. Talk about system and trying to get the best out of certain players but it requires magic to turn average creative players into consistent week in week out. It’s still poor man management to leave out your most creative player with highest wages from the squad. Surely, that’s arteta decision, arsenal board has zero reason to tell arteta to leave him out when the club is paying him massive money every week.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
So why has there been such hype over Arteta? Is it purely to do with his experience under Pep and the positive noise from those at City? Even Tifo football did a piece on him which made him come across as a supremely gifted tactician. And generally he gets credited with being a thinking man's manager much moreso than Lampard or Ole. For example I understand why Ole wouldn't be rated as such as our football is usually old fashioned and basic but on the same note is Arsenal's foot ball making genuine strides?