Mikel Arteta | Lego Pep watch

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Arsenal fans are already getting bored of him.

Winning by 1-0 or drawing most game isn't fun.

JNicholas

Supports
Arsenal
It means that as much as they were better than us they created very little and if anything despite us being terrible we had the slightly better chances.

9 times out of 10 that game ends 0-0.
Perhaps, but Arsenal deserved the win.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Just for posterity, these are your comments after the City FA cup semi final.

The defensive, counter attacking Palace vs United performance is a good example of how Arteta should play against a better team.

But the defensive, counter attacking Arsenal vs City performance is not a good example of how Arteta should play against a better team.

So, which is it?

The defensive, counter attacking Palace vs United performance is a good example of how Arteta should play against a better team.

But the defensive, counter attacking Arsenal vs City performance is not a good example of how Arteta should play against a better team.

So, which is it?
Can’t really be arsed getting into massive multi-quote arguments about a team I don’t give a shit about but Palace had 14 shots on our goal and scored 3 times. So that game isn’t really comparable with Arsenal’s parked bus vs City, is it?

And that’s without even getting into the ludicrous idea that the gulf in class between the Brighton/Palace squads is in any way comparable with the difference between Arsenal’s squad and United (or even compared to City).

Pav1878

Annoyed me the way he celebrated the win for some reason. He looked like it was a cup final.

Something about him just irritates me.
I'm with you on that one. It's his voice and the fact he looks like Eddie Munster.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Mikel bottle carrier. Someone should mix something into his shampoo and make him go bald. Mikel Balteta.

brzez

I forgot to address this point in my previous post. I don't think it's as bad as you think it is.

Bellerin 25
Holding 25
Chambers 25
Saliba 19
Gabriel 22
Tierney 23
Mavropanos 22
Maitland-Niles 23
Torriera 24
Guendouzi 21
Saka 19
Willock 21
Pepe 25
Nelson 20
Martinelli 19
Smith-Rowe 20
Nketiah 21

Thats the first team squad members who are 25 and under, now that's fairly substantial.
Sure, some of those players might be already deemed to be not wanted (Guendouzi, Torriera for instance), & there's a good few who also might not be deemed good enough. What that will provide is players that we can trade, get funds for.

Now, next summer for instance, realistic targets could be Aouar / Szoboszlai for attacking midfield, and someone like Edouard / Daka for the forward areas. All of a sudden that's more youth added for not a massive outlay.

As for those that are Rashford / Greenwood talented, I'd argue that Saliba / Gabriel, Saka & Martinelli perhaps might be for their positions. As I said, some will inevitably be not good enough & be moved on, others can take good squad roles.
I really don’t see what you see. You list some players you have but I’m not quite sure what your post is supposed to prove? That you have a young squad? Yeah, so? You have a squad that has been dead rubber for years. The only players I rate is Saka, Martinelli and Gabriel and you can’t really say that they are PL proven. Saka needs to kick on and add more elements to his game, Martinelli needs to come back from his injury and kick on. Gabriel, well, if he plays like this rest of the season I do wonder why no one else challenged Arsenal for his signature...

brzez

xG and XA means nothing, the results do.

Emery was unbeaten for 23 matches after his first 2 games at Arsenal, so his points tally was very good, but we know what happened after that.
If you have watched all of Arsenals games you will see progress - this season they have played Man City away, Liverpool away and Man Utd away already after 7 matches - a tough run.

Progress is Arsenal currently have the best defensive record in the league, they haver signed some excellent players, they just won at OT after all this time.

His philosophy takes time to put into practice, if you judge him on his short time at Arsenal, then judge him on his 'fluked' FA CUP - (not sure how it was fluked?)

You would be worried even though they now have Partey (who is world class) and Gabriel in the spine of their side? As an Arsenal fan I am very excited.

So we don't have Greenwood or Rashford? - how about Bukayo Saka, Eddie Nketiah, Gabriel Martinelli, William Saliba etc?

Everything you said I disagreed with.
Going to Liverpool and City and lose and it’s progress. Jesus :lol: Arteta sets his team up negative and it will work against the top sides. You will win some games by playing more pragmatic. But it doesn’t really matter in the long run. You play these games maybe 10 times per year. United’s done a job at Etihad, Stamford Bridge, etc, but we do seem to have a problem against rubbish teams. And yes, you have the same problem even though you’ve won yours. I’ve seen your fixtures against the “lesser” sides and I really don’t see any progress. You had the small margins with you against West Ham and Sheffield United.

You keep telling us about your defensive record. United had one of Europe’s best defensive record last season, but I still think it’s nowhere good enough if we want to win titles. I don’t think your defence is the best in the league. Your not really counting the fact you’ve parked the bus and you’re lucky that you haven’t conceded more goals. Hence imho your “flukey” FA cup win.

And no one of Nketiah, Martinelli and Saka are on Rashfords/Greenwoods level. I haven’t seen Saliba but I do wonder why he is omitted from your squad when you seem to think that he’s the second coming of Jesus.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
The main thing is, football fans, in general, aren't stupid. If Arsenal fans weren't happy with how things are going under Arteta, they'd let everyone know. The same way they did under Emery, & the same way they did at the end of Wenger's reign. Both show, they aren't just going to follow someone blindly just for the sake of doing so.

We feel there has been progress. That's good enough for us just now. However, we also feel there needs to be more progress, so Arteta, like every other manager, will continue to be judged. Can he get us more creative. Can he get us consistent? Will we challenge for a top 4 place? Can he win us the Europa League? These will all continue to be asked of him.

I really don’t see what you see. You list some players you have but I’m not quite sure what your post is supposed to prove? That you have a young squad? Yeah, so? You have a squad that has been dead rubber for years. The only players I rate is Saka, Martinelli and Gabriel and you can’t really say that they are PL proven. Saka needs to kick on and add more elements to his game, Martinelli needs to come back from his injury and kick on. Gabriel, well, if he plays like this rest of the season I do wonder why no one else challenged Arsenal for his signature...
You mention the fact that it will take at least 4 windows to rid our squad of all these rubbish players, or however you put it. My point is that there is a squad of talented younger guys already there, that with the right coaching & management and with the right additions on top that could be moulded into a very decent team.

The defence has improved greatly with 1 coaching & 1 summer window. We have Saliba to come in to add to that as well.

We could sign a couple of the players i have mentioned & that strengthens the midfield & attack greatly.

I guess we disagree on what we regard as good players & what we regard as rubbish.

Last edited:

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
He's got LVGs old assistant on his coaching team and plays LVG football. Low risk, control based football. It's dull and ultimately won't cut it in the modern game where you need more creativity and risk in your game to beat most teams.

Let's see if can evolve the team but I have my doubts.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Going to Liverpool and City and lose and it’s progress. Jesus :lol: Arteta sets his team up negative and it will work against the top sides. You will win some games by playing more pragmatic. But it doesn’t really matter in the long run. You play these games maybe 10 times per year. United’s done a job at Etihad, Stamford Bridge, etc, but we do seem to have a problem against rubbish teams. And yes, you have the same problem even though you’ve won yours. I’ve seen your fixtures against the “lesser” sides and I really don’t see any progress. You had the small margins with you against West Ham and Sheffield United.

You keep telling us about your defensive record. United had one of Europe’s best defensive record last season, but I still think it’s nowhere good enough if we want to win titles. I don’t think your defence is the best in the league. Your not really counting the fact you’ve parked the bus and you’re lucky that you haven’t conceded more goals. Hence imho your “flukey” FA cup win.

And no one of Nketiah, Martinelli and Saka are on Rashfords/Greenwoods level. I haven’t seen Saliba but I do wonder why he is omitted from your squad when you seem to think that he’s the second coming of Jesus.
The annual table (which is basically when Arteta took over) has us 3rd. It's tight between 3rd to 8th but it has us right in the mix & that's where we want to be at the end of the season.

It also has this attacking Man Utd side as having scored a whole 4 goals more than this boring defensive side over the same period. So considering our park the bus tactics, that's quite damning on yourselves.

The other thing you are doing is looking at our results in isolation. We just beat West Ham & Sheffield Utd. So did the champions, by the same score lines. Look at our rivals, Leicester lost at home to West Ham, Spurs drew with them. You guys got beat by Palace at home. This isn't a wum by any means, & no-one is saying we are great, but then again, I'm not seeing much greatness round about us.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal

So, which is it?
He's the most consistent WUM on here, I wouldn't bother responding.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
He's got LVGs old assistant on his coaching team and plays LVG football. Low risk, control based football. It's dull and ultimately won't cut it in the modern game where you need more creativity and risk in your game to beat most teams.

He, just like LVG, needs time to build the foundation and also implement his philosophy in the team. It takes time. Now with the players we have and a 343 formation playing with wing back is a very defensive team. We are not scoring many goals at the moment either.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Don't get the obsession with this guy. He's playing 5 at the back and counter attacking teams. We know that's effective as that's what we're very good at too. But at least we're trying to move away from it. Not very successfully yet I will concede but it takes time.

Our fans won't allow our manager to play 5 at the back for more than a handful of games a season. They go mental when he does even if we win.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Don't get the obsession with this guy. He's playing 5 at the back and counter attacking teams. We know that's effective as that's what we're very good at too. But at least we're trying to move away from it. Not very successfully yet I will concede but it takes time.

Our fans won't allow our manager to play 5 at the back for more than a handful of games a season. They go mental when he does even if we win.
For clubs like arsenal, spurs, everton and leicester, 4th place IS a trophy. Style can come later.

NieThePiet

Supports
Werder Bremen, Arsenal

It isn't quite a normal Back 5.
With the ball Tierney is a normal left back, Saka plays a LW/CM-Hybrid and Auba often moves between LW and ST.
Against the ball is surely a Back 5 and it works so far with the best defense in the league despite playing against Liverpool, City and United.

And probably every Arsenal Fan will agree, that we have big issues in the final third. But i doubt there will be an improvement in the next time with the squad we have, because our midfield is lacking creativity and Auba on the wing doesn't help for that.

tomaldinho1

LVG and Pep are similar in their ideas - LVG and Arteta did/are doing what Pep would have had to do if he hadn't walked into a well planned project. First you sort out the structure and positioning, then you build from that. Remember that LVG made Blind and Smalling an incredible CB pairing, he wasn't able to go out and spend £200m on an entire new back line, but his biggest issues were none of the attacking recruits did well and he ended up relying on an old Rooney.

Arteta will get more time than LVG - his signings so far look good and it's because he has a template already for how the team need to play. I reckon they'll try for Lamptey, or a similar type of player, and then keep an eye out for upgrades on Holding and another all rounder CM in the mould of Hojberg or Henderson. It will be tough for them to bridge the gap to win the league but top four isn't too far away by the looks of things.

brzez

[
The annual table (which is basically when Arteta took over) has us 3rd. It's tight between 3rd to 8th but it has us right in the mix & that's where we want to be at the end of the season.

It also has this attacking Man Utd side as having scored a whole 4 goals more than this boring defensive side over the same period. So considering our park the bus tactics, that's quite damning on yourselves.

The other thing you are doing is looking at our results in isolation. We just beat West Ham & Sheffield Utd. So did the champions, by the same score lines. Look at our rivals, Leicester lost at home to West Ham, Spurs drew with them. You guys got beat by Palace at home. This isn't a wum by any means, & no-one is saying we are great, but then again, I'm not seeing much greatness round about us.
How lucky we Man United fans must be that a season is not played from January to November.. :D But if you want to go down that route, comparing Arsenal with United (as all friggin discussions with an Arsenal fan tend to be) you have to be very aware that we missed our best goal scorer in large periods of your timeline. You pick out Aubameyang out of your team and you’re not scoring mate. We got James/Lingard/Pereira in the starting eleven and Pogba out injured. And we only start playing some outstanding football between February to July. And we are second in terms of points in that timeline, so you can twist and turn every stat however you like. I’m not blind and one can argue to why Ole insisted with a 4-2-3-1 when we didn’t have a no. 10 and still good wingers.

And still, you’ve pretty much ignored one of my key arguments to why Artetas process shouldn’t be as highly regarded as it seems to be.

But let me rephrase it and it will maybe sink in.
You are scoring more goals than you should and your conceding less goals than you should. Your average shots per game is like 7-8 (lowest ever) and your conceding more shots than you did under Emery. But maybe it’s part of the plan?

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
He’s done well so far. I do think the football is pretty dire to watch, but the squad is fairly shite and I don’t think it’s a bad call to be more pragmatic while he tries to mould the squad into something that he feels can become a little more expansive and easier on the eye. Especially due to the circumstances when he took over.

He may or may not ultimately be a successful manager, but it's fantasy to think he'd suddenly change tact with better players, if anything results like yesterday and winning the FA Cup make it even less likely (he'll try to change) as in his head that will be further proof his methods work.
I’m quoting you but there’s a few who share your sentiments. I think you’re pretty badly mistaken here. Not solely on the topic of Arteta, but the idea that a manager won’t deviate from a certain style depending on the makeup of the squad he has. It’s patently untrue.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Guiding Arsenal to the giddy heights of 8th again by looks of it.

Bojan11

If it wasn’t for Pogba being stupid there would be more questions asked about him.

Zoo

Their football is shite. Guy is being given a free ride.

IrishRedDevil

Boring football.

Absolutely no creativity in their team, yet he forces Ozil into exile and sticks Aubameyang out on the left wing.

PoTMS

He's a bit of a meh coach. Beating us and being a better coach than Ole isn't a feat. Even Ole managed to beat Nagelsmann.
As I said last week even after they beat us, he's a nothing coach. Yes, he has a philosophy but it's a pretty boring Van Gaalesque defensive one. Like Van Gaal at United, he'll win the odd cup and beat the big teams every so often, but he's not winning you the league.

LS17

Guy gets away with so much just because he used to put the cones out for Pep.

Pogba gifted the man 3 points.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He’s no better than Solskjaer. He just has an ASOS hook-up.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
As I said last week even after they beat us, he's a nothing coach. Yes, he has a philosophy but it's a pretty boring Van Gaalesque defensive one. Like Van Gaal at United, he'll win the odd cup and beat the big teams every so often, but he's not winning you the league.
Not even that, I think Arsenal will be a good 10-15 points off 4th place again.

edgecutter

Guy gets away with so much just because he used to put the cones out for Pep.

Pogba gifted the man 3 points.
He's at least won something with them which is more than what Ole has done with us.

NoneBmStore

But according to people in the “rank the PL managers” thread he was only marginally below below Pep and Klopp, because hurr durr Arsenal beat us via a stupid Pogba penalty.
people need to stop drawing conclusiona after every single fecking game