Mikel Arteta | Lego Pep watch

DavidDeSchmikes

A year to the day since Unai Emery was dismissed by Arsenal, losing to Wolves means they are now enduring their worst-ever start to a Premier League season under Mikel Arteta

Zoo

He wears a new designer jacket every game it seems so at least he knows what’s important.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
I can’t understand why he is so negative. He doesn’t have the players at the other end to grab a goal from nothing.

He also doesn’t have the players at the back to keep a clean sheet. The result is games like today where they don’t create much and can’t keep the opposition out.

I think he would be better served bring Ozil back into the fold and at least trying to play more at home and get at teams.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Made a few interesting decisions.
Marginalising their 350k a week man. Buying Saliba for 27m and not having any intention of using him in the first team this season.
Auba signs a new deal and looks like an average Premier league player.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
16th next weekend if they lose to Spurs, Crystal Palace pick up a point at West Brom (pretty likely) and Brighton win at home to Southampton (possible).

90 + 5min

I think that people need to calm down. Arteta is unproven manager but he is in a same situation like Solskjaer were. Unbalanced team with problems deep in the club. If they give him time, he will be ok. Club needs to be ”restarted”.

That said, Solskjaer for me is a better manager. No question about that.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Made a few interesting decisions.
Marginalising their 350k a week man. Buying Saliba for 27m and not having any intention of using him in the first team this season.
Auba signs a new deal and looks like an average Premier league player.
Aubameyang looks like he's completely given up on this team.

slored1

Don't know how many of you watch basketball but Arsenal have become the Knicks of football. Pathetic overpaid players, only being considered good because of the history and have nothing that really gives them hope. Arteta has a lot to do still.

edcunited1878

He coached under Pep. He played in some direct but effective teams at Everton and some good sides at Arsenal. How the feck does he not coach his team better and put them in better positions??

3412, not 343. Play your only attacking players through the middle with service from wide areas or balls in behind.

Brophs

The One and Only
Seems like he might need to start fining the players every week and buy Josh Kroenke another one of those designer watches he likes to gift to people who might be of some use to him.

Amarsdd

I think that people need to calm down. Arteta is unproven manager but he is in a same situation like Solskjaer were. Unbalanced team with problems deep in the club. If they give him time, he will be ok. Club needs to be ”restarted”.

tbf most here get that and are just pushing back against all the hype created about Arteta here and in the media.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
When you read the many threads moaning about the Glazers or saying how we've gone downhill or how we don't spend enough....

Then imagine being an Arsenal fan.

Topgun1

Lewandowski lover
Supports
Arsenal

Arteta wasn't brought in to make Arsenal contenders. He was brought in in because he agreed to be a "yes" man and stabilize the club around the EL positions.

He's here effectively to manage Arsenal's decline except that it backfired completely and now even supposedly "lesser" teams are better coached and have better players in many positions. We just need a thumping from Tottenham next week and he's toast. They'll move onto another budget manager who will keep his mouth shut and do as he's told by Kroenke's team, an owner who literally said his aim has never been to win the title.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I'm genuinely worried he'll be sacked before we go there!

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I'm genuinely worried he'll be sacked before we go there!
Didn't he get a 2-2 v you last season despite having 10 men for majority of game? And the cup final of course......

Arsenal do seem to still have some ability to peak for games v top 6 but it will be amusing to see them go to a Mourinho team next week and park 10 men behind the ball to scrap out a 0-0.

They need some unpredictability in their attack. Had forgotten about Martinelli but they could do with him now, not sure how far away he is from injury comeback.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Didn't he get a 2-2 v you last season despite having 10 men for majority of game? And the cup final of course......

Arsenal do seem to still have some ability to peak for games v top 6 but it will be amusing to see them go to a Mourinho team next week and park 10 men behind the ball to scrap out a 0-0.

They need some unpredictability in their attack. Had forgotten about Martinelli but they could do with him now, not sure how far away he is from injury comeback.
The cup final he did good granted (but worth noting so many average manager's win cups, it's ultimately 6/7 games) but that 2-2 was the biggest shithouse result i've ever witnessed as a Chelsea fan, we battered them and they got 2 goals the only times they even ventured forward let alone had a shot.

Hulksmash

It's funny how redcafe are saying to bring Özil Back.

Özil has been banned because he talked about the inhuman things that Chinese are doing to muslims and the Sponsor pressured Arsenal to exile Özil. It's we'll known

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
He coached under Pep. He played in some direct but effective teams at Everton and some good sides at Arsenal. How the feck does he not coach his team better and put them in better positions??

3412, not 343. Play your only attacking players through the middle with service from wide areas or balls in behind.
He's playing a 433 now, trying to play a more positive formation. Problem is, he's currently doing it with last seasons shit midfield, which means guys with no pace like Xhaka get exposed time & time again. So you can understand why he switched to the back 3 in the first place, but it was never going to work long term.

Basically, he needs Partey back & some more better players.

Topgun1

Lewandowski lover
Supports
Arsenal
The cup final he did good granted (but worth noting so many average manager's win cups, it's ultimately 6/7 games) but that 2-2 was the biggest shithouse result i've ever witnessed as a Chelsea fan, we battered them and they got 2 goals the only times they even ventured forward let alone had a shot.
This might seem random but since you're a chelsea fan I just wanted to ask how you guys put up with Lampard constantly playing Mount? I've never seen a player so blatantly favored just because of his nationality. You guys did the right thing getting rid of Barkley but why did Mount stay and how on earth is he playing? He's a very limited player.

Chelsea are building a good side and it's not nice seeing a player being favoured by the manager undeservedly. I hate managers that do that.

(One of the big reasons why we won FA cup final was because Mount playing. And when he was substituted, he was replaced by Barkley. How tragic).

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
This might seem random but since you're a chelsea fan I just wanted to ask how you guys put up with Lampard constantly playing Mount? I've never seen a player so blatantly favored just because of his nationality. You guys did the right thing getting rid of Barkley but why did Mount stay and how on earth is he playing? He's a very limited player.

Chelsea are building a good side and it's not nice seeing a player being favoured by the manager undeservedly. I hate managers that do that.

(One of the big reasons why we won FA cup final was because Mount playing. And when he was substituted, he was replaced by Barkley. How tragic).
He's not being favoured. He's been one of the better performers in the team this season. It's a bullshit narrative that he's some kind of teachers pet for Chelsea and England. For Chelsea at least, he's picked on merit every week.

RooneyLegend

This is the problem with coaches who don't have a clear idea what they're trying to build. Now they have to wait for him to experiment and see what could potentially work.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea

I think your being harsh on him to be honest, he's won't ever be a technician type of midfielder I grant you but his skillset (workrate, pressing, movement) perfectly compliments the array of talent we have around him, similar to (although different positions) what Pedro was for Pep's Barcelona.

I'm a lot more worried about Abraham tbh, he looks out of his depth against any opposition of note.

Mastadon

Supports
Arsenal
Sack him and hire Pochetinno. Results are one thing the quality of football is another. Get Poch in before you lot do it so we can push on next season.

Topgun1

Lewandowski lover
Supports
Arsenal
I think your being harsh on him to be honest, he's won't ever be a technician type of midfielder I grant you but his skillset (workrate, pressing, movement) perfectly compliments the array of talent we have around him, similar to (although different positions) what Pedro was for Pep's Barcelona.

I'm a lot more worried about Abraham tbh, he looks out of his depth against any opposition of note.
I share your concern about Abraham. I'm genuinely impressed by the team put together by Chelsea. Very good transfer business. I watch a lot of Chelsea and sometimes it seems like I'm the only one who can see Mount's poor touches, unable to beat the man, unable to swivel, unable to be creative enough, or make good first time passes etc. Someone in Mount's position needs to do this stuff especially where Chelsea are planning to go (I assume PL/CL champions). Mount simply doesn't fit into the elite side that Chelsea are now building.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
We’re so bad at home we lost to these lot. Needs sorting

AshRK

I said it at end of last season, the football they were playing under him is too negative and is not sustainable long term. It has gone even more boring now. This whole excuse of lack of players seems bs to me. He is just too passive for my liking. I think losing 5-1 to bayern and other top sides has permanently scarred arsenal fans that they were satisfied losing 3-1 to Liverpool and 1-0 to city. He has to change his style and let them play football otherwise his days are numbered.

LVGSdive

If only this team had one of the most creative number 10's in all of football at their club...

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Aubameyang looks like he's completely given up on this team.
Looks like he could not be arsed tonight. Taken Arsenal for a ride with that contract.

Don't know how many of you watch basketball but Arsenal have become the Knicks of football. Pathetic overpaid players, only being considered good because of the history and have nothing that really gives them hope. Arteta has a lot to do still.
Sounds familiar...

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
I said it at end of last season, the football they were playing under him is too negative and is not sustainable long term. It has gone even more boring now. This whole excuse of lack of players seems bs to me. He is just too passive for my liking. I think losing 5-1 to bayern and other top sides has permanently scarred arsenal fans that they were satisfied losing 3-1 to Liverpool and 1-0 to city. He has to change his style and let them play football otherwise his days are numbered.
It's tough 1 to judge. In a way, Arteta will feel justified at going defensively early on his reign as he realised he hadn't the midfield strong enough & athletic enough to open the game up.

He's tried to be more open the last couple of games at home, & we've seen the midfield get bypassed time & time again, especially tonight first half.

So, until we either get Partey fit & more suitable players in, we have no idea if Arteta can really coach or if it really is just a player issue. The fact similar happened with these players under Wenger & Emery suggest it's the players.