Mikel Arteta | Lego Pep watch

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
If Burnley were to win their two games in hand, Arsenal would fall into the drop zone. Even a win and draw for Burnley would see Arsenal outside the drop zone based only on GD.
Oi! We’re counting on that Burnley game in hand to pretend we’re in the title race. Can’t have that AND Arsenal in the relegation race.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir

their only green light is our match ffs.
No point wallowing in self-pity. We've shown great resilience and taken 16/18 points since then. They've taken 2/21. We're not the first team to drop points against shit teams and won't be the last. Just in the past week both Liverpool and City have done the same.

monosierra

I don’t have anything against Arteta but there is narrative he’s a good manager with no evidence to back that up. He has no prior experience as a manager and certainly doesn’t implement Pep’s style. All this credibility has been put on him because he’s worked with the media darling Guardiola. Did McClaren become a good manager after he was assistant at United under Sir Alex? Not really. Even now he’s being protected by the media and blame is being shifted to anyone else except him. It’s just bizarre.
That's pretty much it really - he worked under and was praised by Pep. If the Peter Principle applies, then perhaps coaching instead of management might be his ceiling for now.

saivet

Is that right? Just one goal from open play in 10 games??
Yeah the goal against Southampton. I think tecnically their goal against Wolves may count as an open play goal but it was from a short or corner or free kick if my memory serves.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Oi! We’re counting on that Burnley game in hand to pretend we’re in the title race. Can’t have that AND Arsenal in the relegation race.
His logic is widely off the mark anyway. Firstly, Burnley aren't playing both their games in hand before Arsenal next play. Secondly, even if we assume Burnley had played both their games in hand before Arsenal's next game and won both, Arsenal would still only fall to 16th. And they'd still be 4 points above the drop zone, not in the drop zone as he was alluding to. I think he's had one too many this evening.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Yeah the goal against Southampton. I think tecnically their goal against Wolves may count as an open play goal but it was from a short or corner or free kick if my memory serves.
Yeah that’s all I could think of from that list. 2 penalties and a headed goal against wolves.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
They need to sack him quickly. Fulham have started to pick up points, Burnley also are back to looking solid and hard to break down in last 3 games. West Brom have just got in Sam, who will immediately make them better.

They have Chelsea next, lose there, and it’s a win needed away round either Brighton or West Brom or they are bottom 3 and in a right mess. From there, anything can happen.

He looks absolutely clueless. I am stunned for them.

Carlos Q, Schteve McLaren, Micky shorts....

you’d think by now clubs will have sussed that being a top manager’s assistant coach means absolutely jack shit, in fact, it probably means they’re shite.

Employing Pep’s assistant is so small time from Arsenal and the players don’t believe in him, he’s no Arsenal legend (Pep started his managerial career as a legend of the club), he was an average player (Pep was top drawer) and he’s absolutely no CV for the players to trust in.

Doomed stupid appointment.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts

you’d think by now clubs will have sussed that being a top manager’s assistant coach means absolutely jack shit, in fact, it probably means they’re shite.

Employing Pep’s assistant is so small time from Arsenal and the players don’t believe in him, he’s no Arsenal legend (Pep started his managerial career as a legend of the club), he was an average player (Pep was top drawer) and he’s absolutely no CV for the players to trust in.

Wasn't he really good at Boro?

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC

Wasn't Mourinho an Assistant Coach at Van Gaal's Barca? Flick was for Löw. Numerous examples where it worked out, just as many where it didn't. Don't think there's a clear pattern.

city-puma

I think they have the exactly same issue we had a year ago. When the opponent parks the bus in the box, they cannot produce anything at all.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Baffles me that it seemed to just be assumed that he was going to be Pep 2.0

As a player, while no doubt a decent player, the heights of his career were a Scottish League title and a 2 FA Cups.

The narrative seems to be that he's some beacon back to Arsenals glory days, but the fact is he played for a declining Arsenal team and actually played more games (and scored almost twice as many goals) for Everton.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
1 win in 10.
1 open play goal in 10
15th in the league
Bottom for creating chances
Bottom for a lot of other creative stats
Worst shots on goal ratio

With Arsenal. Not West Brom, Fulham, Sheffield United. But Arsenal.

Yet he’s getting a free ride in the press and he’s the messiah

Okey

instead said he left out Ozil from PL squad for "footballing reasons".
The one thing we can be pretty sure of is that it's not down to 'footballing reasons'. There's not enough footballing reasons in the world that will make Willock, Smith-Rowe and the likes deserve a shirt ahead of Ozil.

KeanoMagicHat

Baffles me that it seemed to just be assumed that he was going to be Pep 2.0

As a player, while no doubt a decent player, the heights of his career were a Scottish League title and a 2 FA Cups.

The narrative seems to be that he's some beacon back to Arsenals glory days, but the fact is he played for a declining Arsenal team and actually played more games (and scored almost twice as many goals) for Everton.
I couldn’t understand the narrative around Arteta and Ancelotti when they were hired at the same time. Arteta had a higher rep somehow and had the Arsenal DNA despite the fact his best years were at Everton and he was more of a legend for them, in fact he wouldn’t be in the top 10 midfielders for Wenger alone, never mind Arsenal’s history. That’s as a player, as a manager he has no experience whatsoever going into a really tough job. Being assistant isn’t full manager experience. It was a monumental risk but it’s portrayed as a safe pair of hands somehow.

Then Ancelotti was portrayed as some old fogey who was past it, despite being one of the best managers of his generation. And now despite Arsenal starting with better players than Everton, Everton are 2nd and Arsenal are 15th. Says it all.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
The one thing we can be pretty sure of is that it's not down to 'footballing reasons'. There's not enough footballing reasons in the world that will make Willock, Smith-Rowe and the likes deserve a shirt ahead of Ozil.
The rumour is that he decided Ozil can't play out wide for Arsenal (maybe because they do a lot of shitty 343? Maybe because Ozil is a lazy cnut?) and that's why he didn't want him. He signed Willian as a replacement, froze out Ozil to make a point about...something, and now he's saving face and refusing to give Ozil a run out.

If that's all true then he's a fecking idiot. But then that should be starting to be obvious by now I suppose. Subbing Pepe off today when he needed a goal was just bizarre. And why you'd sub on Willock of all people when you're desperately in need of a goal...:houllier::houllier::houllier:

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
The rumour is that he decided Ozil can't play out wide for Arsenal (maybe because they do a lot of shitty 343? Maybe because Ozil is a lazy cnut?) and that's why he didn't want him. He signed Willian as a replacement, froze out Ozil to make a point about...something, and now he's saving face and refusing to give Ozil a run out.

If that's all true then he's a fecking idiot. But then that should be starting to be obvious by now I suppose. Subbing Pepe off today when he needed a goal was just bizarre. And why you'd sub on Willock of all people when you're desperately in need of a goal...:houllier::houllier::houllier:
Don’t think he can give him a run out even if he wanted until registration opens again

AshRK

Westbrom away will be the final nail in the coffin. Cannot see a sack coming when the games are coming thick and fast. He has to get 6 out of 6 from Brighton and WBA, if not he is done.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
I doubt Ozil himself even wants to play anymore. He's had the chance to go on loan last year to PSG and declined them. He's on 350k a week and probably has crazy appearance bonuses aswell.
Wenger completely fecked them with the massive contract extension.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I couldn’t understand the narrative around Arteta and Ancelotti when they were hired at the same time. Arteta had a higher rep somehow and had the Arsenal DNA despite the fact his best years were at Everton and he was more of a legend for them, in fact he wouldn’t be in the top 10 midfielders for Wenger alone, never mind Arsenal’s history. That’s as a player, as a manager he has no experience whatsoever going into a really tough job. Being assistant isn’t full manager experience. It was a monumental risk but it’s portrayed as a safe pair of hands somehow.

Then Ancelotti was portrayed as some old fogey who was past it, despite being one of the best managers of his generation. And now despite Arsenal starting with better players than Everton, Everton are 2nd and Arsenal are 15th. Says it all.
Hang on a minute, you think Arsenal have better players than Everton? I think they have a pretty average bunch tbf, and particularly the wrong balance of young and old - how many Arsenal players could be considered to be in their prime? Now how many of those are anything other than fairly shit at football?

alexthelion

Brian Kidd too.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
It always seems like they want to 'be different'.

Why haven't they gone for a manager like Ancelotti, or Conte or like how Unitednwemt for the older ones in LVG or Jose. I'm not saying it was right and it would lead to success but this is Arsenal, they need some sort of experience and stability ever since Wenger left.

Now apparently they want to go for Viera. Maybe he is good but why?

Green_Red

They need to sack him quickly. Fulham have started to pick up points, Burnley also are back to looking solid and hard to break down in last 3 games. West Brom have just got in Sam, who will immediately make them better.

They have Chelsea next, lose there, and it’s a win needed away round either Brighton or West Brom or they are bottom 3 and in a right mess. From there, anything can happen.

He looks absolutely clueless. I am stunned for them.
He deserves to the end of the season, at least.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
The done thing in modern football would be to sack him but I don’t think that’s right for Arsenal. They won’t get relegated and sacking a manager only works if the replacement is an upgrade. Who are they going to attract currently?

Arteta should be given the season to try and work things out.

KeanoMagicHat

Hang on a minute, you think Arsenal have better players than Everton? I think they have a pretty average bunch tbf, and particularly the wrong balance of young and old - how many Arsenal players could be considered to be in their prime? Now how many of those are anything other than fairly shit at football?
When they both took over, yes Everton have since improved by buying Doucoure, Allan and Rodriguez. But when Marco Silva was sacked Everton were in the relegation zone and Everton were in a poor state.

Emery was sacked with Arsenal 8th in the table and previously 5th the previous season.

nainaisson

It always seems like they want to 'be different'.

Why haven't they gone for a manager like Ancelotti, or Conte or like how Unitednwemt for the older ones in LVG or Jose. I'm not saying it was right and it would lead to success but this is Arsenal, they need some sort of experience and stability ever since Wenger left.

Now apparently they want to go for Viera. Maybe he is good but why?
They wanted Allegri, but he turned them down (according to what I've read, at least). We don't know how many managers they've pursued but couldn't convince to take on that mess of a club.

renandstimpyfan83

Supports
Real Oviedo/England
Holding is genuinely appalling. Calvert-Lewin dominated him so easily it was embarrassing. No wonder Saliba is annoyed if this guy is not only being picked ahead of him but also somehow being considered captaincy material.

instead said he left out Ozil from PL squad for "footballing reasons".
The whole situation is pathetic and makes Arteta look like a totally spineless coward shilling for the board (while throwing a former teammate under the bus). People using "it's not his decision" as an excuse have things backwards. Any man with integrity would have resigned as soon as he was put in that position. He'd still have his reputation as a top young coach intact if he'd walked away.

Which is particularly hilarious as Willian has looked lazy and disinterested and offers nothing going forward.

People talk about Özil as if he was finished before being frozen out but he assisted the winner in his last game and scored in a 4-0 win two games earlier (imagine that, Arsenal winning 4-0!)

Last edited:
Reactions: Sultan

noodlehair

"It's like..."
The fact that this lot beat us is so damn annoying.

They're awful.
The amount of praise they got for it was the most annoying thing. It was an awful game. Genuinely think that was our worst performance of the season...and we've lost 6-1 to Tottenham.

Although in hindsight it's also amusing because it probably convinced some Arsenal fans their team was actually good.

POF

The amount of praise they got for it was the most annoying thing. It was an awful game. Genuinely think that was our worst performance of the season...and we've lost 6-1 to Tottenham.

Although in hindsight it's also amusing because it probably convinced some Arsenal fans their team was actually good.
In the last 10 league games, the player that earned them the most points is Pogba.

meamth

This is the first actual time a manager is proven a fraud.

Quite amazing to see this moment in my life.

meamth

And also this rhe the first time in my life I've got to see Arsenal without talisman in their squad.

Quite baffling.