Mikel Arteta | Lego Pep watch

georgipep

If that's the case Arteta should have commended Ozil for having a spine.
And then Arsenal would be looking for a new manager. Clubs are businesses and don't f*** with their big markets, unfortunately. Just look at the Rainbow Laces hipocrisy recently from all clubs, including Manchester United.

Normandy

Supports
Montreal Impact
Imagine where Arsenal would be if Arteta wasn't a genius?

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
What an insult. I don't know what Houllier did to you. :eek:
Houllier clearly was much much better. I am mostly thinking similarities in approach. Even if he turns things around, he'll never grow the team the way you'll be wanting to. Houllier could never match Wenger and a lot of that came down to the inherent limitations of his tactical approach.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
I don't like kicking someone when they are down, but the situation is not good for Arsenal fans. Their coach is not getting a tune of his players, but they also are a mess off the pitch with some awful owners.

Still, think the kids showed some decent grit. Too bad he fecked off some of their better older players and kept the shit ones.
They're Arsenal fans. Kick away.

Useless cnuts.

Dansk

A good manager doesn't try to shoehorn players into a system they aren't suited for just because it's his personal preference. Arsenal's squad, while not very impressive, is miles above the club's current position. They're just being used wrong by the manager.

Sylar

instead said he left out Ozil from PL squad for "footballing reasons".
Odd given who is in the squad
If it's for the Chinese Muslims comment, that's terrible
If it's for the paycut that's nonsense

Bizarre situation as it's not like Ozil refused to play

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Houllier clearly was much much better. I am mostly thinking similarities in approach. Even if he turns things around, he'll never grow the team the way you'll be wanting to. Houllier could never match Wenger and a lot of that came down to the inherent limitations of his tactical approach.
Even comparing them is insulting, Arteta has done literally nothing in his career, he should be compared to you and I. And we should both be ahead of him.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
Is Arteta under any media pressure at all? As an outsider, it feels like the media is still treating him like a promising up-and-comer.
I think that's the case with him but I'm sure the owners will the be ones getting more criticism, at least from the fans.

AneRu

That sounds about right.

They should flip ahead in the play book and hire Rafa now.
Not a bad shout that, all things considered. He knows how to do what Arteta is trying to do - win whilst playing defensively.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
A good manager doesn't try to shoehorn players into a system they aren't suited for just because it's his personal preference. Arsenal's squad, while not very impressive, is miles above the club's current position. They're just being used wrong by the manager.
Hang on! A few weeks back he was the manager to lead them out of the wilderness, beating Liverpool in the community shield. Now he’s using them wrong?

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
There's no denying there were various improvements initially when he took over.
Laca under Emery 18/19: 13 league goals & 8 league assists.
Laca under Arteta 19/20: 10 league goals & 4 league assists

Aubameyang under Emery 18/19: 22 league goals 5 league assists.
Aubameyang under Arteta 19/20: 22 league goals 3 league assists

Xhaka was also regarded performing very well under Emery which I have given you the article. It was an article of 4 months after Emery took in charge, the same thing with the article you provided (4 months after Arteta took in charge). No players were improving under Arteta, they were either stayed the same or worse than Emery.

I said in quite a few subsequent posts that he's failing to get the best out of the team this season and will rightly be sacked if he continues to be so passive.
His failing was due to his poor man management, which I tried to tell you but you couldn't accept it.

The way how he handled his players for example Emery had no problem working with Guendouzi for years but Arteta had in less than a year. I'm not saying this is the main reason but this is an example of how he treated his players.

The way how he treated Saliba as well and his decision to sign Pablo Mari and Cedric and yet still insisting to sign another centre back Gabriel ignoring the fact he lacks creativity player which should be prioritised and now it cost him massively.

It's not just about formation in the initial "bounce" with Arsenal - they looked like they were overcoming a mental block with big results and ended up winning a cup. So it's not exactly a crime to conclude Arteta looked like he was building something at that stage.
They won FA cup because Ole rotated his main players in FA Semi & Lampard didn't rest his players for the final FA Cup but played his regular players in the league for top 4. Beating City? Big deal, Ole beat Pep 3x last season. Community shield is just charity comp, it was completely different game when they lost 3-1 in the league this season. Your eyes played tricked on you.

Last edited:

Sylar

Got Ogden's backing.
Didn't he say arteta will take them to former glories before ole for United

And also the same guy who said arsenal showed United how to replace a legendary manager when they got Emery?

This guy is reactive as F

B20

Supports
Liverpool
Not a bad shout that, all things considered. He knows how to do what Arteta is trying to do - win whilst playing defensively.
Unlike Arteta (and also unlike Houllier) Rafa is not an out and out defensive manager. He'll always value clean sheets as a basis for winning games and insist on proper defensive organisation, but he saw attacking football as a means to win games far more than Houllier did or Arteta does for that matter.

I do think he fell short in not being quite attacking enough for what was needed to win the league, but he was definitely a clear step up from Houllier in terms of attacking football. I expect he would be the same for arsenal if he joined them.

galwayfa

Not sure why the hate for arteta, I think comes across well in interview's, glad arsenal struggling all the same

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Not sure why the hate for arteta, I think comes across well in interview's, glad arsenal struggling all the same
Because at the start of his regime there was ludicrous hype for him as being the new Pep.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
There's no denying there were various improvements initially when he took over.

I said in quite a few subsequent posts that he's failing to get the best out of the team this season and will rightly be sacked if he continues to be so passive.

It's not just about formation in the initial "bounce" with Arsenal - they looked like they were overcoming a mental block with big results and ended up winning a cup. So it's not exactly a crime to conclude Arteta looked like he was building something at that stage.
In Wenger's penultimate season they won the cup with the exact same semi/final route, and that one was probably a bigger achievement as they faced Conte's all conquering Champions.

AneRu

Unlike Arteta (and also unlike Houllier) Rafa is not an out and out defensive manager. He'll always value clean sheets as a basis for winning games and insist on proper defensive organisation, but he saw attacking football as a means to win games far more than Houllier did or Arteta does for that matter.

I do think he fell short in not being quite attacking enough for what was needed to win the league, but he was definitely a clear step up from Houllier in terms of attacking football. I expect he would be the same for arsenal if he joined them.
Yep he knows his stuff and given where Arsenal are I think he would be a top candidate if the board can overlook his reputation. I do have doubts over his long term suitability though as he looks like someone who is prone to falling with owners a lot.

Irwin99

Like Ole last season, he needs his Bruno Fernandes signing in January or else it's goodbye. Can't see them going anywhere this season unless they get a massive creative boost in the team.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
Any chance of Wenger coming back if they asked him to?

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
If Burnley were to win their two games in hand, Arsenal would fall into the drop zone. Even a win and draw for Burnley would see Arsenal outside the drop zone based only on GD.

Cloud7

I don't see why everyone is upset the media are defending him. As far as I'm concerned, the longer he stays at Arsenal the better for us. One less team for us to compete with.

Cheech Wizard

Liverpool fan
Supports
Liverpool
Said it at the time as did others. You'd have thought Arteta would have been the one managing Everton and Ancelotti would have been the one managing Arsenal. They appointed him a day before Everton appointed Ancelotti with Ljunberg acting for a few weeks so they had their chance. No idea why they decided to go with the rookie option. Everton got the real coup and they could've been where they are now under Ancelotti given he's had a year with that squad already.

GenZRed

So bloody annoying that they beat us considering the losses and draws to other teams.

Having said that, if we played them at their ground we would have beat them. Looks of it they only beat us at OT because we have been poor at home this season.

Josep Dowling

I don’t have anything against Arteta but there is narrative he’s a good manager with no evidence to back that up. He has no prior experience as a manager and certainly doesn’t implement Pep’s style. All this credibility has been put on him because he’s worked with the media darling Guardiola. Did McClaren become a good manager after he was assistant at United under Sir Alex? Not really. Even now he’s being protected by the media and blame is being shifted to anyone else except him. It’s just bizarre.