Mikel Arteta | Lego Pep watch

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
I'm a realist and I'll say it straight off the bat - Arsenal are ****ed under the current ownership, manager and players being linked.

It all stems from the incompetent owners. We have the worst owners in the league. People that don't understand football, a man who NEVER attends Arsenal games or shows any interest. Rumours had it when he did come to a game, he asked which colour shirt Arsenal were wearing. Edu and Arteta combination is incompetent, as shown by the questionable decisions made by the club. Vinai is still not sacked, even Woodward got the chop ffs.

Prior to that we had Raul Sanllehi who sanctioned corrupt deals to line his own pockets...the club didn't even flinch.

Point being the club is being flushed down the toilet to the detriment of the fans. Kronke doesn't care and he will never invest or change the structure of the club to get it back to where it belongs.

It's a sad time to be an Arsenal fan, before we had beautiful football, Wenger (I like him) and a classy image (sustainable club etc). Now we have nothing. Arsenal to me has lost it's identity as soon as the Super League was announced.

The players we are linked to this season is a bitter disappointment to how far we declined. The other Gooner above talking about a youthful core base or whatever is talking out of his arse. We've been trying to do that since Fabregas emerged and they all move on eventually due our lack of ambition. Like most of us Arsenal fans, even the most deluded ones we all wish the club well. Unfortunately I just don't see it anytime soon. I think the truth will hit many eventually when Saka leaves in 2 - 4 seasons times. 19 years old and our best player.
Im not talking out my arse. If you can't see there is a clear strategy this summer of trying to buy a younger core then I don't know what to say. Whether that works or not can be argued, but at least there looks to be some sort of strategy now again, something we seem to have lost the years previous.

Im not a fan of the ownership either. Absent owners who's poor decisions (or lack of) have helped lead us to where we are. Edu & Arteta have it all to prove as well, fully agree there. Perhaps the best thing long term for the club is to not improve or go 1 step back so the pressure on the Kronkes become too great & they sell up to Daniel Ek or the like I don't know.

However, I won't apologise for trying to be optimistic just now. Is that not what football is basically about at this point in the year, the hope that next season will be better, that new signings come in & lift the team? Otherwise, it's a bit of a sh!try existence for the life of a football supporter if everything is just negative & doom & gloom, why even bother then? Of course reality hits everyone when the playing actually starts, but that's the same for 90% of supporters.

Last edited:

slored1

Curious to see how their signings perform. Apart from White, haven't heard for any of them and even with him I'm not really convinced how good he is. Arsenal fans, what is the likely starting 11 for the next season? Is ESR the indisputable first choice midfield creator now?

tinfish

Supports
Arsenal
Im not talking out my arse. If you can't see there is a clear strategy this summer of trying to buy a younger core then I don't know what to say. Whether that works or not can be argued, but at least there looks to be some sort of strategy now again, something we seem to have lost the years previous.

Im not a fan of the ownership either. Absent owners who's poor decisions (or lack of) have helped lead us to where we are. Edu & Arteta have it all to prove as well, fully agree there. Perhaps the best thing long term for the club is to not improve or go 1 step back so the pressure on the Kronkes become too great & they sell up to Daniel Ek or the like I don't know.

However, I won't apologise for trying to be optimistic just now. Is that not what football is basically about at this point in the year, the hope that next season will be better, that new signings come in & lift the team? Otherwise, it's a bit of a sh!try existence for the life of a football supporter if everything is just negative & doom & gloom, why even bother then? Of course reality hits everyone when the playing actually starts, but that's the same for 90% of supporters.
The strategy we have is because we've slipped so far down as a club to play for that we have to go via the youth route (again). We have had this strategy since Fabregas emerged as I mentioned previously. Even if they do well, especially if they're foreign, bigger clubs will be trying to poach any successes. We have lost our ground as a successful, major football club. Chelsea is by far and clear the dominant club in London. The outside world ranks us on the same level as Spurs ffs despite our history. I don't blame them, it's all about the now, not the past.

In the previous years we tried to sign some star quality to rank alongside our developments. It worked to an extent, but then the same old "what if?" comes out. Constantly underfunded at the time and always a few players short of truly being a success. Leicester winning the league being a prime example. We blew it and other clubs are too far ahead for us to even consider catching up now.

Whilst I admire your optimism, it's probably the worst time to be optimistic :lol:. What is there to look forward to? Arteta's dull football? Edu behind the scenes having an easy life? Vinai with an important job despite not having a clue about football? Fatboy Willian busting his gut against Hibernian? The owners? Selling Xhaka for £15 million despite signing him for £40 million before?

Kronke will never sell as he reiterated. He is not even in the country so will never feel the pressure. He already owns a few other miserable clubs in his franchise slipping down the table and doesn't care. Whilst your opinion might be different, for me it's truly a sad time to be an Arsenal fan. Moaning about 4th and now we can't even get into the conference league to play Zamunda FC.

tinfish

Supports
Arsenal
It's sad to hear this even if your a rival because it ultimately effects the beauty of the sport.

Who have you been linked with?

I hate the Glazer's but I do also think they are better than Kroenke.
So far we have signed:
Nuno Tavares - youthful backup LB for Tierney as he is injury prone.
Sambi Lokonga - Highly rated belgian midfielder who is a replacement for the outgoing Guendouzi.

Will most likely sign:
Ben White - Good ball playing CB. Happy with this singing as we played better with Luiz in the back generally. Obviously we have no chance for Varane but it is what it is. Expensive though...

Linked with :
James Maddison
Manuel Locatelli
Houssem Aouar
Ruben Neves

Minor links to: Bissouma, Onana, Zaha, Renato Sanches et al.

Me with a football manager mindset, I guess I would be happy if we signed Maddison, Locatelli and Onana (to replace Leno) alongside White and the other two youth players we've signed as a backup. Only then would I be optimistic for an interesting season ahead. Doubt it though.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
The strategy we have is because we've slipped so far down as a club to play for that we have to go via the youth route (again). We have had this strategy since Fabregas emerged as I mentioned previously. Even if they do well, especially if they're foreign, bigger clubs will be trying to poach any successes. We have lost our ground as a successful, major football club. Chelsea is by far and clear the dominant club in London. The outside world ranks us on the same level as Spurs ffs despite our history. I don't blame them, it's all about the now, not the past.

In the previous years we tried to sign some star quality to rank alongside our developments. It worked to an extent, but then the same old "what if?" comes out. Constantly underfunded at the time and always a few players short of truly being a success. Leicester winning the league being a prime example. We blew it and other clubs are too far ahead for us to even consider catching up now.

Whilst I admire your optimism, it's probably the worst time to be optimistic :lol:. What is there to look forward to? Arteta's dull football? Edu behind the scenes having an easy life? Vinai with an important job despite not having a clue about football? Fatboy Willian busting his gut against Hibernian? The owners? Selling Xhaka for £15 million despite signing him for £40 million before?

Kronke will never sell as he reiterated. He is not even in the country so will never feel the pressure. He already owns a few other miserable clubs in his franchise slipping down the table and doesn't care. Whilst your opinion might be different, for me it's truly a sad time to be an Arsenal fan. Moaning about 4th and now we can't even get into the conference league to play Zamunda FC.
Unless you are City or Chelsea & can afford to buy ready made players, then it's the strategy that makes more sense, & even they buy young & hungry in the main.

It's not just relying on our own youth, it's supplementing them with the right type of signings. Klopp started off signing guys like Wijnaldum, Mane, Robertson, guys about 23 who aren't the biggest names but suit his style, have some experience but plenty room to grow & develop, & know the league. Ole did similar with guys like Maguire, Wan Bissaka & James. It look like we are trying to do similar with guys like White, perhaps Neves & perhaps Maddison or Odegaard. It might not be enough to get the success everyone craves but that might just be that the competition is just too strong.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
About Ben White:
-Sell on clause dependent on international career + PL/CL performances.
-£30m to be paid before the beginning of the 2022-23 season, remaining £20m to be paid by Summer of 2024.
-Upon agreeing the structure of the deal, Arsenal's senior executives requested that other interested teams(City, United, Chelsea) not be allowed to better those terms.

Looks like a good deal in the end with the biggest part to be paid within a year and the rest staggered. 4 years seems a bit short but i guess that was a concession that had to be made.
If he works out he will be in line for a quick extension while already on 120k pw. Let's hope he's worth it !

Winzaghi

Supports
Aston Villa
Unless you are City or Chelsea & can afford to buy ready made players, then it's the strategy that makes more sense, & even they buy young & hungry in the main.

It's not just relying on our own youth, it's supplementing them with the right type of signings. Klopp started off signing guys like Wijnaldum, Mane, Robertson, guys about 23 who aren't the biggest names but suit his style, have some experience but plenty room to grow & develop, & know the league. Ole did similar with guys like Maguire, Wan Bissaka & James. It look like we are trying to do similar with guys like White, perhaps Neves & perhaps Maddison or Odegaard. It might not be enough to get the success everyone craves but that might just be that the competition is just too strong.
Didn't United pay about 150m for those 3? Might as well be buying ready-made players for those prices (though I'd argue, Maguire was already "ready-made").

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Didn't United pay about 150m for those 3? Might as well be buying ready-made players for those prices (though I'd argue, Maguire was already "ready-made").
Perhaps my wording is wrong. I'm not arguing Utd haven't spent money, we are spending £50M on Ben White....its more that Ole realised he needed a core that wasn't about the biggest names, it was more important he could sign players that still had their best years ahead of them but were tried & tested in the league to add to the youth coming through. Have a strong base & add some cherries like Bruno on top.

el_loco_bielsa

Supports
liverpool
I have to say I’m having flashbacks to us during the wilderness of the 90s. I really like Arsenal as a club - a grand old club with a real history and tradition and a way of doing things. They seem to have completely lost their way since wenger left.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
He considers this Arsenal side as one of the best in the world already ?
What ?

AllGoodNamesRGone

Supports
Arsenal
A few years ago I accepted that it will be many years of mid table mediocrity for us and nothing has changed my mind for the coming season.

Real Madras

Supports
Real Oviedo
So far we have signed:
Nuno Tavares - youthful backup LB for Tierney as he is injury prone.
Sambi Lokonga - Highly rated belgian midfielder who is a replacement for the outgoing Guendouzi.

Will most likely sign:
Ben White - Good ball playing CB. Happy with this singing as we played better with Luiz in the back generally. Obviously we have no chance for Varane but it is what it is. Expensive though...

Linked with :
James Maddison
Manuel Locatelli
Houssem Aouar
Ruben Neves

Minor links to: Bissouma, Onana, Zaha, Renato Sanches et al.

Me with a football manager mindset, I guess I would be happy if we signed Maddison, Locatelli and Onana (to replace Leno) alongside White and the other two youth players we've signed as a backup. Only then would I be optimistic for an interesting season ahead. Doubt it though.
Ben White - £50m
Honours list -
Nationality - English.

Rafa Varane - £34m plus add ons.
Honours list - World Cup, 4 Champions League titles. 3 La Liga Titles, 4 club World Cup, 1 Copa Del Ray.

Appreciate Varanes wages are a lot higher than what Ben Whites will be but calling Varane expensive is a bit silly really.

You’ve massively overpaid for Ben White. really don’t know what the hype is about this lad? Good on the ball? Can bring the ball out in defence. Yeah ok. What about when Rashford put him on his bum?

Arsenal fans. Goodness.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
There's a middle ground.
Yes but I don't think they will struggle. They have a chance to break into top 5 coming season.Arteta need to make their team play for aubamyang s strength. They will be alright coming season in my opinion.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Ben White - £50m
Honours list -
Nationality - English.

Honours list - World Cup, 4 Champions League titles. 3 La Liga Titles, 4 club World Cup, 1 Copa Del Ray.

Appreciate Varanes wages are a lot higher than what Ben Whites will be but calling Varane expensive is a bit silly really.

You’ve massively overpaid for Ben White. really don’t know what the hype is about this lad? Good on the ball? Can bring the ball out in defence. Yeah ok. What about when Rashford put him on his bum?

Arsenal fans. Goodness.
What are they supposed to do? They won't be able to sign Varane, so they have signed a player who they think is best suited for their team and banking on his potential.

We really shouldn't be taking the piss for paying big fee, especially for English players. What did AWB achieve that we paid 45-50 million for a RB? IIRC at that time it was second or third biggest fee for a FB/RB.

Maguire didn't achieve much when he signed him. He was good player for Leicester and we broke record for a CB.

Amarsdd

Ben White - £50m
Honours list -
Nationality - English.

Arsenal fans. Goodness.
tbf the poster meant the Ben White deal is expensive ...

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Ben White - £50m
Honours list -
Nationality - English.

Arsenal fans. Goodness.
He's saying the Ben White deal is expensive.

Some morning, couple of posts already sticking the boot in without actually reading what is written.

Anyway, latest news is that we haven't got our asking price for Xhaka so we might offer a new contract to protect value. :lol:

Djemba-Djemba

Some morning, couple of posts already sticking the boot in without actually reading what is written.

Anyway, latest news is that we haven't got our asking price for Xhaka so we might offer a new contract to protect value. :lol:
Ooof

We've done that a load of times, I don't think it's ever worked. You just get stuck with a shite player for longer.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Ooof

We've done that a load of times, I don't think it's ever worked. You just get stuck with a shite player for longer.
Yeah, he's not as bad as made out of you pair him with the right partner, Xhaka / Partey decent, Xhaka / Ceballos gets horribly exposed for example.

Must admit though, think it was time for a fresh start for both parties though. Still hopeful a deal will get done.

Oranges038

I really don't get this mindset, I get that it is probably for accounting reasons.

I have no idea what they ever saw in Xhaka at all and they should have sacked him after he walked off the pitch flipping the fans off.

Surely it's more cost effective to remove players from the books altogether rather than have them sitting there for another 2 or 3 years on high wages doing nothing.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.

Xhaka is the weird (re-)signing of the summer. He is at his peak years, so what value are they protecting in 3yrs time? Plus what exactly value does he bring? He scores a goal a season but lets in 2 goals due to some unforced error a season too.
Just bite the bullet and get rid of him.

the_cliff

I don't get the comparisons tbh and why both sets of fans feel the need to critique and compare the signings. Perspective is everything and you have to take in to account the age of the player and need of the current club. One player in his prime on the last year of his contract and one who is young and still has room to grow, who had 3-4 seasons left on his contract.

We are looking for success in the near future, hence our signing. while Arteta is trying to build something for the future. Both teams are at different stages along the rebuilding process.

Both are good signings and should improve each team respectively.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Why are Arsenal fans even comparing the two? Shouldn’t they be comparing White to the defenders Palace have signed?

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
It only makes sense when he bases his information on the below information:

Or basically making shite up. £10M signing bonus? I saw this being pushed around on social media earlier.
I've never seen Arse fans this desperate.

If White is that good, he'll be playing for City in 2 years.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea

Or basically making shite up. £10M signing bonus? I saw this being pushed around on social media earlier.
Dream fan for Kroenke.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Surely it's more cost effective to remove players from the books altogether rather than have them sitting there for another 2 or 3 years on high wages doing nothing.
That's the thing, he's not going to be doing nothing, he will be the first name on the sheet if he extend. He was the most used player last season and probably the season before too.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal

Remove the 10m bonus then, its still 75m vs 150m. I think Varane's the better player, just don't buy the idea that he's the cheaper just because his transfer fee is lower.