Mikel Arteta | Lego Pep watch

Tony247

Remove the 10m bonus then, its still 75m vs 150m. I think Varane's the better player, just don't buy the idea that he's the cheaper just because his transfer fee is lower.
Sour grapes. Are you suggesting had Varane damn determined to join Arsenal then Arsenal wouldn't fork out the wages the player like him demands and deserves? Wages aside, the fact remains that Varane transfer fee is cheaper than White and we pulled a coup.

Oranges038

That's the thing, he's not going to be doing nothing, he will be the first name on the sheet if he extend. He was the most used player last season and probably the season before too.
I know, it certainly hasn't been totally out of choice. He's about the best of a bad lot of midfielders at Arsenal and that says a lot about the quality that is there. The recruitment has been such a mess and the owner is so tight with cash that Arteta has no other option but to play him.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
Sour grapes. Are you suggesting had Varane damn determined to join Arsenal then Arsenal wouldn't fork out the wages the player like him demands and deserves? Wages aside, the fact remains that Varane transfer fee is cheaper than White and we pulled a coup.
Why would you put wages aside? Are they still being paid by Madrid.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Even if the figures are not widely exaggerated…

If the question is, would you pay 70 million more over the length of a 5 year contract to have one of the best CBS in world football and not Ben White.

The answer is always yes.

cyberman

Because what we save on Varanes real value pays the majority of his wages with us. Ben White is overpriced and will double down on that every time you pay him a wage

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Remove the 10m bonus then, its still 75m vs 150m. I think Varane's the better player, just don't buy the idea that he's the cheaper just because his transfer fee is lower.
Even though the wages quoted are complete bollox? Right…

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
£400k a week? :lol: Of course it's going to look worse if you literally double the numbers. Actual sources have reported Varane's wage as £230k p/w and White's as £120k p/w. So they doubled Varane's wages and rounded White's down. Nice.

Using real numbers (including the full fee for Varane inclusive of add-ons and bonuses) its £101.8m vs £81.2m.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
The only winners of Arsenal and United fans arguing over who has the biggest bargain are Kroenke and the Glazers.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
I still don't understand why any United or Arsenal fan is trying to compare 2 different players, at 2 different stages of their career joining 2 very different clubs who are also in a very different position. They both play at CB and it ends there.

Tony247

Even if the figures are not widely exaggerated…

If the question is, would you pay 70 million more over the length of a 5 year contract to have one of the best CBS in world football and not Ben White.

The answer is always yes.
For some it is really difficult to admit...

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I still don't understand why any United or Arsenal fan is trying to compare 2 different players, at 2 different stages of their career joining 2 very different clubs who are also in a very different position. They both play at CB and it ends there.
Yup it’s all very odd.

crossy1686

career ending
Why are Arsenal even talking about us? They haven't been anywhere near us in years. They're no longer relevant to any discussion regarding the top of the table.

Tony247

Since when wages are included in calculating transfer fee? You guys are inventing stuff to make your argument. If a player is bought cheap then it is a fact. His wages over the years with the club can be 10x 20x. Assume you buy a high potential player on cheap say 10m on 50k/week salary for 4 years. Within a year that player demonstrates superplayer form, your club immediately offers improved contract say 200k/wk. That player stays at club for 15 years and ended up earning 400k/wk when he finally hangs his boots. Now as per your logic, you will sum up his entire salary for 15 years, say 200m, add up in his transfer fee of 10m and call that the player was super expensive for the club because total he cost 210m to the club!!

That's now how it is calculated. Transfer is purely calculated on transfer fee, not including wages.

royalewithcheese2006

Supports
A Director of Football
Where are we getting the £400k a week for Varane from?
Same place they got the 10m signing on bonus from.
At a time where we are trying to ensure our wage structure does not get out of hand by not offering Pogba DDG-esque wages, apparently we sign a new player and pay him more than DDG. Sounds about right, doesn't it?

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Ben White Vs Varane (world cup winner) :lol: :lol:

That's Ben White who couldn't get into the England squad?

:lol::lol:

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
I don't know about 400k, but a starting defender who's played for 10 years in Madrid is getting 300k at the very least. His next deal will have to be a significant improvement to leave Real Madrid to step down to Utd. But you guys are right, its just speculation so lets leave it there.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
I don't know about 400k, but a starting defender who's played for 10 years in Madrid is getting 300k at the very least. His next deal will have to be a significant improvement to leave Real Madrid to step down to Utd. But you guys are right, its just speculation so lets leave it there.
We dont know what his wages are yet, nor does this Arsenal twitter prick

acnumber9

I assume Ben White is on the same wage he was on at Brighton having made the sideways step.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
Arsenal were so poor since about 2009 in all their CL appearances, so much squandered opportunity lost. They couldn't recruit defenders, couldn't build a balanced team, played like best of Ajax without the players to make it work. Everyone fancied their chance against them. They should have been able to hold off a team like Leicester passing them.

OverratedOpinion

No chance he is on 300k.

Barnslig

It's been reported multiple times that his wages at United is less than what RM offered him.

rotherham_red

He's on the same wage as Maguire - £190k

Real are notorious cheapskates when it comes to the wages of non fashionable players. Marcelo, for example, was on something silly like £25k per week, while CR7 was on £800k+

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Yeah, why stop there. Just go with the assumption that he is getting 500k per week :lol:

Last edited:

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
£400k a week? :lol: Of course it's going to look worse if you literally double the numbers. Actual sources have reported Varane's wage as £230k p/w and White's as £120k p/w. So they doubled Varane's wages and rounded White's down. Nice.

Using real numbers (including the full fee for Varane inclusive of add-ons and bonuses) its £101.8m vs £81.2m.
Also Varane gets signing on fee but White won't for signing for mighty Arsenal :lol:

jackal&hyde

Tbf it's not limited to Twitter. Look at one or two Arsenal fans doubling down the 400k per week nonsense.
It must be some sort of coping mechanism. When your club gets a decent defender for a higher fee then a rival gets a WC one, you must make up some stuff to feel better.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
What's wrong with paying 400k, Utd certainly have the money. Arsenal have been out of the CL for 5 years running so you can understand why the fans would want to stretch the limited budget so that we can get in some more players. But why would Utd be upset at paying over the odds for a genuinely good player. Would you rather believe that the money goes back to the Glazers.

For the record I believe a player with one World Cup, 4 Champions League titles. 3 La Liga Titles, 4 club World Cup, 1 Copa Del Ray on his last major contract moving from Real Madrid ( who, let's face it are bigger than Utd) is easily going to demand 400k. 400k is a conservative estimate. Partey got 250k and he moved from At Madrid to Arsenal, Varane is easily getting more. It's still a bargain for a player of Varanes quality so I don't know why anyone should be upset.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
What's wrong with paying 400k, Utd certainly have the money. Arsenal have been out of the CL for 5 years running so you can understand why the fans would want to stretch the limited budget so that we can get in some more players. But why would Utd be upset at paying over the odds for a genuinely good player. Would you rather believe that the money goes back to the Glazers.

For the record I believe a player with one World Cup, 4 Champions League titles. 3 La Liga Titles, 4 club World Cup, 1 Copa Del Ray on his last major contract moving from Real Madrid ( who, let's face it are bigger than Utd) is easily going to demand 400k. 400k is a conservative estimate. Partey got 250k and he moved from At Madrid to Arsenal, Varane is easily getting more. It's still a bargain for a player of Varanes quality so I don't know why anyone should be upset.
I don't care how much he gets paid, it's not my money. It's more that the numbers were massively exaggerated to make that daft comparison on Twitter. Literally nowhere is reporting 400k. Journos who are reporting salary are saying around 230k. Some are saying it's less than Madrid offered him to renew.

From what has been reported, the club hasn't even offered that much to Pogba to renew. No chance Varane is coming in and immediately becoming the highest paid player.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
I don't care how much he gets paid, it's not my money. It's more that the numbers were massively exaggerated to make that daft comparison on Twitter. Literally nowhere is reporting 400k. Journos who are reporting salary are saying around 230k. Some are saying it's less than Madrid offered him to renew.

From what has been reported, the club hasn't even offered that much to Pogba to renew. No chance Varane is coming in and immediately becoming the highest paid player.
Probably Utd centric journos. Wish they'd disclose the wages the way they do with fees.