Mikel Arteta | Lego Pep watch

Bondathon

Thus spoke a Man Utd fan well versed in the concept…
Just FYI, our lowest PL finish is higher than the consecutive 8th place finishes you’ve had in the last 2 seasons. Your new mid table reality is something most United fans haven’t experienced, even under Moyes, LVG, Jose, and Ole.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Its a results-driven business and Arteta still needs to prove he can get them over the course of the season.
Some would argue that was the plan so they can ration poor results for the next 2/3 season's as being part of a process.

TJ Reid

Supports
Arsenal
Just FYI, our lowest PL finish is higher than the consecutive 8th place finishes you’ve had in the last 2 seasons. Your new mid table reality is something most United fans haven’t experienced, even under Moyes, LVG, Jose, and Ole.
As non sequiturs go…

TJ Reid

Supports
Arsenal
I don't need to be a weatherman to know if it's about to piss it down. The newfound confidence from Arsenal fans is hilarious.
I’d wait a few months to see if your hilarity is prematurely felt or not. In the meantime, I’ll remain optimistic as to our prospects. I’ve posted cogently elsewhere in this thread as to my reasons for that optimism.

cyberman

I’d wait a few months to see if your hilarity is prematurely felt or not. In the meantime, I’ll remain optimistic as to our prospects. I’ve posted cogently elsewhere in this thread as to my reasons for that optimism.
It’s been 2 years of shit. What are the next two months going to prove?

TJ Reid

Supports
Arsenal
It’s been 2 years of shit. What are the next two months going to prove?
Whether my optimism is misplaced or not. The last 2 years was always going to be difficult given the change of manager and the need to get rid of our deadwood. At least we won a trophy. What did you win?

SuperiorXI

Whether my optimism is misplaced or not. The last 2 years was always going to be difficult given the change of manager and the need to get rid of our deadwood. At least we won a trophy. What did you win?
So you'd rather be languishing in 8th (consecutively) with an FA cup rather than where United are right now?

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
So you'd rather be languishing in 8th (consecutively) with an FA cup rather than where United are right now?
I dunno what TJ's response is, but my opinion is... yes.

On the romantic side, a trophy is a much cooler memory than a third-placed finish followed by a second placed finish.

But even pragmatically, I'd rather be in our position. The word transition is chucked around too much and it usually actually means "currently unsuccessful". But we actually bit the bullet over the last couple years in terms of moving players on and dramatically lowering the average age of the squad. The reason a lot of Gooners were excited by the victory over Spurs is because they can see that these players have a future. We had experience in our double pivot and leading the line but the other eight players were 24 or under. That will become hugely beneficial in the years to come and it nice to see some long-term, joined up thinking.

Finally, I would swap our trophy for second and third place... if those seasons included title challenges. But only City, Chelsea and Liverpool have actually challenged for the title in years. Being a runner-up miles from the actual Champions isn't all that appealing.

Ole is in a tough spot as he has now built a team that has to win something big (or come damn close) this season. Ronaldo, Cavani and Varane obviously aren't interested in a project in the way that our signings may be.

TJ Reid

Supports
Arsenal
That is a false dichotomy and a silly comparison. However, I’m optimistic given the potential of our young squad whereas its difficult to perceive any grand design in your team’s plans. Your player acquisitions seem opportunistic rather than coherent and you are the least convincing member of the top 4.

TJ Reid

Supports
Arsenal
I dunno what TJ's response is, but my opinion is... yes.

On the romantic side, a trophy is a much cooler memory than a third-placed finish followed by a second placed finish.

But even pragmatically, I'd rather be in our position. The word transition is chucked around too much and it usually actually means "currently unsuccessful". But we actually bit the bullet over the last couple years in terms of moving players on and dramatically lowering the average age of the squad. The reason a lot of Gooners were excited by the victory over Spurs is because they can see that these players have a future. We had experience in our double pivot and leading the line but the other eight players were 24 or under. That will become hugely beneficial in the years to come and it nice to see some long-term, joined up thinking.

Finally, I would swap our trophy for second and third place... if those seasons included title challenges. But only City, Chelsea and Liverpool have actually challenged for the title in years. Being a runner-up miles from the actual Champions isn't all that appealing.

Ole is in a tough spot as he has now built a team that has to win something big (or come damn close) this season. Ronaldo, Cavani and Varane obviously aren't interested in a project in the way that our signings may be.
Valid points, especially the last one where you quite rightly question the motivation and hunger of players at the end of their career who have already achieved so much and who are likely more than happy just to pocket a final big pay packet.

SuperiorXI

That is a false dichotomy and a silly comparison. However, I’m optimistic given the potential of our young squad whereas its difficult to perceive any grand design in your team’s plans. Your player acquisitions seem opportunistic rather than coherent and you are the least convincing member of the top 4.
You started it! :houllier:

You can be optimistic all you want, take a look at the actual evidence over the 2 years under Arteta and I can tell you with a straight face, your team is a laughing stock right now and won't be taken seriously until you can put some results together over a longer period of time against decent opposition.

In regards to the "grand plans" at United, there has been a clear change in direction when it comes to transfers. In the last window for example we addressed two major areas of concern and if reports were to be believed we were trying for the dreaded DM position of which we are sorely lacking. Ronaldo was a 'sprinkling on the cake' type signing granted, but at least we can attract players like that while Arsenal could only dream of it right now. In terms of the coaching staff and style of play it is a major concern and talking point amongst United fans, we know it is a problem and it is discussed every day, on the flipside one decent result against a crappy Spurs side and you lot are doing cartwheels. Have some perspective and calm down.

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
Giddiest fans on the planet

At least at United most of us understand we are still not there

these guys are so crap they are resting on european weeks
T

You can be optimistic all you want, take a look at the actual evidence over the 2 years under Arteta and I can tell you with a straight face, your team is a laughing stock right now and won't be taken seriously until you can put some results together over a longer period of time against decent opposition.

In regards to the "grand plans" at United, there has been a clear change in direction when it comes to transfers. In the last window for example we addressed two major areas of concern and if reports were to be believed we were trying for the dreaded DM position of which we are sorely lacking. Ronaldo was a 'sprinkling on the cake' type signing granted, but at least we can attract players like that while Arsenal could only dream of it right now. In terms of the coaching staff and style of play it is a major concern and talking point amongst United fans, we know it is a problem and it is discussed every day, on the flipside one decent result against a crappy Spurs side and you lot are doing cartwheels. Have some perspective and calm down.
There seems to be a lot of unnecessary animosity in this thread. A question was asked if fans of an opponent would rather be in United’s position. The honest answer was “no”. Surely that’s means everyone should be happy, right?

It’s a bit like asking a dude if he would swap his girlfriend for your own. He might genuinely not be interested - even hypothetically. There might be things he finds appealing that aren’t really plus points for you. People are different. You could follow up by telling the guy to “calm down” and that no one “takes you seriously”, I suppose. Would be a bit odd, though.

If you’re happy with the direction your team is going in - great. Just enjoy it. I am.

TJ Reid

Supports
Arsenal

Well, let’s agree to differ. Ours is a long term project yours, I’d argue shorter term and OGS probably needs to win something this year. Time will tell.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
The problem with arsenal will be if they performed too good and consistently well most Of those youngsters will be tapped up by Bayern real Barcelona city psg in one or two years.

Have to stop talented kids to move away from your club in my opinion. If that's happened then one or two additions you can challenge for top 4 in next two years.

Kids maturing and adding two three very good additions to the squad yes you can challenge for top 4 in my opinion.
That is a problem for all clubs that don't pay the highest salary and don't have the resource to build a squad that can challenge trophies every season. In EPL only Man City, Man Utd and Chelsea don't have this issue, Real Madrid for La Liga, Bayern for bundesliga and obviously PSG. It is something all "smaller" clubs have to live with.

Nothing you can do to stop talented players to move away. If Arsenal pays top salary and challenge for trophies every season then players will stay.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Well, let’s agree to differ. Ours is a long term project yours, I’d argue shorter term and OGS probably needs to win something this year. Time will tell.
"Long term project" :lol:

Yeah right. What's the long term plan? Reach relegation after six seasons?

cyberman

A lot more games of football than your lot?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
"Long term strategy" is an excuse for current failures.

InfiniteBoredom

Arsenal has been implementing a ‘long term strategy’ for more years than I care to remember.

What’s there to prevent an exodus once the big boys come knocking? Wenger certainly couldn’t and that was when CL football was a staple.

roonster09

Scout
Arsenal has been implementing a ‘long term strategy’ for more years than I care to remember.

What’s there to prevent an exodus once the big boys come knocking? Wenger certainly couldn’t and that was when CL football was a staple.
The famous "10 year" plan was brilliant.

cyberman

…and sadly, nothing to show for it…
So your idea for planning long term is to crow about a trophy won in the short term that, as time passes, shows what a fluke it really was?
I wish you all the best. Maybe it’ll dawn on you that the limit of your long term planning will to be where Ole is now but who knows

MO_Football92

Supports
Arsenal

We had to sell under Wenger to pay off the stadium debt between 2006-2013. That was our strategy back then, develop Europes best young players and sell them on.

Right now however, I'm just unsure where we're going under Arteta; he's poir tactically and lacks any track record of player development. I'm not swaying my view based off one game; Emery, who was a far better manager also won the NLD but still ultimately flopped.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Well, let’s agree to differ. Ours is a long term project yours.
That exactly the narrative Kroenke, Edu and Arteta wants you to pedal.

Arteta has suddenly come under severe pressure, the "he took over a mess" narrative is running thin and all of a sudden it's "project youth" to buy him even more time under the guise it will take a few years for them to peak.

If that's not blatant PR I don't know what is.

Bondathon

You’d know - like you’ve actually won anything recently…
Won the PL more recently than Arsenal.
Won the CL more recently than Arsenal.

And yet, most United fans are either outright unhappy about our recent performance, or at least slightly apprehensive. Just shows what a fall from Grace Arsenal have had. Or what a shambles their fan base is…

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
That is a problem for all clubs that don't pay the highest salary and don't have the resource to build a squad that can challenge trophies every season. In EPL only Man City, Man Utd and Chelsea don't have this issue, Real Madrid for La Liga, Bayern for bundesliga and obviously PSG. It is something all "smaller" clubs have to live with.

Nothing you can do to stop talented players to move away. If Arsenal pays top salary and challenge for trophies every season then players will stay.
You have to challenge yes.This slow building team and nurturing young kids need time but once those kids finding feet they wanted to move away either for game time or challenging trophies.

Its a problem not only for arsenal but most clubs. I didn't say it's only arsenal problem. But arsenal investing long term then they have to arrest the kids from moving away problem. Or should have adequate plans to replace them then only it will get to stage where you can challenge for bigger trophies.Or this rebuilding phase will go forever.

roonster09

Scout
You have to challenge yes.This slow building team and nurturing young kids need time but once those kids finding feet they wanted to move away either for game time or challenging trophies.

Its a problem not only for arsenal but most clubs. I didn't say it's only arsenal problem. But arsenal investing long term then they have to arrest the kids from moving away problem. Or should have adequate plans to replace them then only it will get to stage where you can challenge for bigger trophies.Or this rebuilding phase will go forever.
It works in FM where you sign young players and they all develop into good players all at once.

In real life it never works like that.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Is this the “5 year plan”?

Since Wenger started your original 5 year plan in the early 2000s, virtually all of the academy players he earmarked for a role have retired let alone transferred away and you’ve slipped down to mid table consistency.

MO_Football92

Supports
Arsenal
Won the PL more recently than Arsenal.
Won the CL more recently than Arsenal.

And yet, most United fans are either outright unhappy about our recent performance, or at least slightly apprehensive. Just shows what a fall from Grace Arsenal have had. Or what a shambles their fan base is…
Had a much higher net spend during those times and have spent millions more since 2015. I said in the summer; both United and Arsenal have been as bad as eachother.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Think people are exaggerating the long term plan, but the plan of mainly buying 22-25 year olds & trying to nurture & add to them to improve year on year is tried & tested, it's not exactly rocket science. If you can add in a sprinkling from the youth team that helps with the build as well.

Look at when Klopp took over, bought the likes of Robertson, Mane, Wijnaldum, Matip, improved the team first couple of years, managed to spend big money on the likes of Van Dijk & Allison to take them up another level. Trent, Gomez, Jones all coming through as kids as well.

Even Solskjaer has spoke about he was given 3 years to challenge, signed Wan Bissaka, Maguire, James, improved & steadied the team, Bruno improved them further which enabled them to go & get world class players like Varane & Ronaldo to try & get them to really challenge. The likes of Greenwood coming through to add to that.

Even Chelsea done similar under Lampard, adding the likes of Pulisic, Werner, Havertz, Chilwell over a couple of windows & bringing through Mount, James etc. However, they also decided on a change of manager to improve them. That has allowed them to spend big money on mostly Lukaku to try & springboard their challenge.

It's not exactly a vanity project, or a PR project like folk have claimed. Sometimes depending on the wealth or standing of the club its just done at different levels.

Last edited:

roonster09

Scout
Think people are exaggerating the long term plan, but the plan of mainly buying 22-25 year olds & trying to nurture & add to them to improve year on year is tried & tested, it's not exactly rocket science. If you can add in a sprinkling from the youth team that helps with the build as well.

Look at when Klopp took over, bought the likes of Robertson, Mane, Wijnaldum, Matip, improved the team first couple of years, managed to spend big money on the likes of Van Dijk & Allison to take them up another level. Trent, Gomez, Jones all coming through as kids as well.

Even Solskjaer has spoke about he was given 3 years to challenge, signed Wan Bissaka, Maguire, James, improved & steadied the team, Bruno improved them further which enabled them to go & get world class players like Varane & Ronaldo to try & get them to really challenge. The likes of Greenwood coming through to add to that.

Chelsea have done similar, adding the likes of Pulisic, Werner, Havertz over a couple of windows & bringing through Mount, James etc. That has allowed them to spend big money on mostly Lukaku to try & springboard their challenge.

It's not exactly a vanity project, or a PR project like folk have claimed.
Look at the age of players Liverpool signed when they went from top 4 challengers to title challengers. They signed players in the 24-28 range

You take any example, you will see young players will be supported by very good peak players or experienced players.

For Werner, Havertz you also have players like Kante, Jorginho, Azpi who are core team.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
It works in FM where you sign young players and they all develop into good players all at once.

In real life it never works like that.
That's the challenge arsenal have to over come. If they invest further in next two windows then they will fight for top 4 from next season but need to tie down saka but other youngsters also want the same reward.

Will be very interesting to see how Arteta manage pressure but also develop the present group.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Look at the age of players Liverpool signed when they went from top 4 challengers to title challengers. They signed players in the 24-28 range

You take any example, you will see young players will be supported by very good peak players or experienced players.

For Werner, Havertz you also have players like Kante, Jorginho, Azpi who are core team.
Exactly. But first they needed to become top 4 challengers. Arsenal aren't even that yet. Liverpool bought in young, hungry players that gave them the basis of a good squad in the image of Klopp, & through selling Coutinho, could afford & also attract a few top signings.

If you improve with the younger team, it's easier to attract more peak / experienced players as they buy into whats building. It's how Utd got Varane & Ronaldo back in my opinion, they believe the team is going on the right direction, & they could be among the final pieces to take them there.

Chelsea are slightly different, because they already had a good core, but they were underachieving.

roonster09

Scout
Exactly. But first they needed to become top 4 challengers. Arsenal aren't even that yet. Liverpool bought in young, hungry players that gave them the basis of a good squad in the image of Klopp, & through selling Coutinho, could afford & also attract a few top signings.

If you improve with the younger team, it's easier to attract more peak / experienced players as they buy into whats building. It's how Utd got Varane & Ronaldo back in my opinion, they believe the team is going on the right direction, & they could be among the final pieces to take them there.

Chelsea are slightly different, because they already had a good core, but they were underachieving.
Liverpool didn't buy young players like Arsenal, they signed players who were about to enter their peak years.

Also I don't see any long term planning, I said the same for us too. Without short term results there is no long term plan.

redshaw

Arsenal squad doesn't make for a good comparison but the media was always trying to pump up Lampard and Spurs 1-2 years ago. Spurs at that time was said to have a better squad and finish above us, we only had Martial as a striker. Lampard had a huge squad of top players and was suppose to be much better than Ole yet were looking to not make top 4, they wouldn't have won the CL or made top 4 if Lampard stayed.

InfiniteBoredom

Liverpool also struck gold by signing one of the best forward in the world for a pittance. And have one of the best coaches in the world who have gone through a similar process before.

So many things can go wrong with these ‘project youth’. Half of those players may turn out not good enough, one of two really good one might get itchy feet, someone may get a big injury or many niggling ones that set him back a few years, the coach may get fired and new coach doesn’t fancy what he sees, then some important positions may see players winding down or the replacement not up to filling the void. Then what?

Looking at the Arsenal team at the moment, Lacszette wants out, and Aubameyang even if he doesn’t want the same have been rotten for a good 14 months or so. What happens if he doesn’t regain his form, who is a good striker at a good age you can buy to guarantee the goals while the rest of the team matures? Is Kroenke even willing to open the purse string for that replacement, or you have to bank on flogging the deadwoods?

That’s to say nothing about the culture of excellence built by a squad required to compete year in year out. One of the lasting damage Moyes did to this club that we haven’t managed yet to recover from is the loss of that demand, that expectation to excel from everyone involved with club. Can you bank on Edu and Arteta to build that mentality for Arsenal, when neither of them were even close to possessing that during their playing career?