Mikel Arteta | Lego Pep watch

Sad Chris

Not fair that a team get an extra half hour to get that crucial away goal.
I‘m quite sure that it‘s more of an advantage for the home team as was already pointed out. Although some might agree with you, I think the majority of clubs see having the return leg at home as an advantage.

Would be interesting to check the stats on games won during extra-time. How often did the home-team win, how often the away-team?

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Arteta is losing games because of our shitty defence, not our attack. A defence he inherited and which the board is unwilling to sort out till the summer. The clown comedy double act in the centre of defence is always going to make every game harder for us. The two goals last night would have been prevented by strong CBs who stand up and take the lead in defending. Luiz and that other shitc**t are nothing like that.

arteta can't make them footballers, he can only try and set up to outscore their shiteness.

wrepdrep

Supports
AC Milan
Arteta is losing games because of our shitty defence, not our attack. A defence he inherited and which the board is unwilling to sort out till the summer. The clown comedy double act in the centre of defence is always going to make every game harder for us. The two goals last night would have been prevented by strong CBs who stand up and take the lead in defending. Luiz and that other shitc*nt are nothing like that.

arteta can't make them footballers, he can only try and set up to outscore their shiteness.

You had Xhaka-Ceballos as midfield duo. Auba-Özil-Pepe as AM trio.

Mustafi-Luiz only worsens things, but even Maldini-Baresi--Costacurta-Tassotti would have hard time in such an unbalanced team.

Arsenal's defense problem won't get fixed until you get proper DMs and a pragmatic coach.

Grinner

Staff
Supports
Arsenal
You had Xhaka-Ceballos as midfield duo. Auba-Özil-Pepe as AM trio.

Mustafi-Luiz only worsens things, but even Maldini-Baresi--Costacurta-Tassotti would have hard time in such an unbalanced team.

Arsenal's defense problem won't get fixed until you get proper DMs and a pragmatic coach.

So DMs would make Luiz/shitc**t better defenders? How does that work when the goals came from set-pieces last night?

Gasolin

Taking a thread off topic
They will be fine once they get a more mobile number 10, and especially new CBs

Mustafi and Luiz basically guarantee you will concede multiple chances through stupid mistakes every game. They are horrendous, and they don’t have any better either.

They have Saliba coming in, if they buy another solid option to pair him with and find a gem like we have in Bruno, they will be fine. Lots of good young players coming through too.

He is seriously handicapped by those CBs
So they need better players to perform but Ole doesn’t and should be leader with this team? What’s the rationale?

Sylar

Arteta is losing games because of our shitty defence, not our attack. A defence he inherited and which the board is unwilling to sort out till the summer. The clown comedy double act in the centre of defence is always going to make every game harder for us. The two goals last night would have been prevented by strong CBs who stand up and take the lead in defending. Luiz and that other shitc*nt are nothing like that.

Is there actually no good youth CBs that wouldnt be disasters like the 'senior' ones you got?

wrepdrep

Supports
AC Milan
So DMs would make Luiz/shitc*nt better defenders? How does that work when the goals came from set-pieces last night?
It won't make them better defenders. But they won't seem as bad.

DMs and even strikers can have a huge impact on the ability to defend set-pieces.
The Milan of the last years is a good example of that. Last year we had Bakayoko make the difference. This year the team was hopeless at it until 195 cm tall Ibra arrived.

The Cisse goal in particular showed just how much Özil and Auba help.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
So they need better players to perform but Ole doesn’t and should be leader with this team? What’s the rationale?
There are many differences.

Arteta has only been in charge for a handful of games, while Ole has been in charge for a year.

Arteta hasn’t had the chance to buy players yet, while Ole has signed 5 first teamers.

Even when Ole first arrived, his CB options were at least competent and numerous. All of our CBs are better than Luiz and Mustafi. You can tell from even one of their games. There are multiple, and I mean multiple, mistakes every game.

I don’t think I am overestimating their incompetence. They have goalscorers and good young players coming through.

I think Arteta will be fine once he gets in two good CBs. It will settle the whole team.

Ole is starting to show progress now that he has got his players in too to be fair to him.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
It won't make them better defenders. But they won't seem as bad.

DMs and even strikers can have a huge impact on the ability to defend set-pieces.
The Milan of the last years is a good example of that. Last year we had Bakayoko make the difference. This year the team was hopeless at it until 195 cm tall Ibra arrived.

The Cisse goal in particular showed just how much Özil and Auba help.
Ozil is a big issue. He just doesn’t work hard enough and means that teams with three hard working midfielders can overrun arsenal and get to those soft CBs.

They need to phone up Becks and get him on the next plane to Miami and bring in someone more dynamic who is prepared to work harder for the team.

Auba is like Ronaldo in that you are prepared to sacrifice his defensive contribution because of his goals But Ozil is being carried these days and it’s sad to see. You can’t play both of them.

ReddBalls

Arsenal really are a victim of their own horrible recruitment. As bad as Untied's recruitment has been, Arsenal are on a different level. Mustafi and Luiz might be the most obvious ones, but apart from Auba, they seem to have failed every time they have brought in a new player.

Probably regretting letting Gnabry leaving as well. At least they got to spend 70 millions on Pepe, though.

Grinner

Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Arsenal really are a victim of their own horrible recruitment. As bad as Untied's recruitment has been, Arsenal are on a different level. Mustafi and Luiz might be the most obvious ones, but apart from Auba, they seem to have failed every time they have brought in a new player.

Probably regretting letting Gnabry leaving as well. At least they got to spend 70 millions on Pepe, though.
This tells me you don't really know what you're talking about.

90 + 5min

It is always easy to have a go at back four. Problem for Arteta is almost what Solskjaer had. Unbalanced team. Playing behind Xhaka-Ceballos-Auba-Özil-Pepe must be hard because you are not going to get any help from them when you need to defend.

What Arsenal need to do is have patience with Arteta and change slowly team balance. That can be done by buying right midfielders for a start.

Grinner

Staff
Supports
Arsenal
It is always easy to have a go at back four. Problem for Arteta is almost what Solskjaer had. Unbalanced team. Playing behind Xhaka-Ceballos-Auba-Özil-Pepe must be hard because you are not going to get any help from them when you need to defend.

What Arsenal need to do is have patience with Arteta and change slowly team balance. That can be done by buying right midfielders for a start.

Have you ever seen a Mustafi blooper reel? The best DM of all time couldn't help him become a footballer.

AshRK

He has to be backed this summer or else he will be fighting a losing battle and will (wrongly)take all or most of the blame.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies

They have some players below the level they'd ideally like to be at but I do think there's a good amount of untapped potential in that squad. Their biggest issue is that Aubameyang is considering a move, which at 30 is understandable because he might not like the idea of waiting around for the last few years of his peak while the rest of the squad comes together. The team's unbalanced but nothing a really good few transfer windows couldn't sort out.

Grinner

Staff
Supports
Arsenal
They have some players below the level they'd ideally like to be at but I do think there's a good amount of untapped potential in that squad. Their biggest issue is that Aubameyang is considering a move, which at 30 is understandable because he might not like the idea of waiting around for the last few years of his peak while the rest of the squad comes together. The team's unbalanced but nothing a really good few transfer windows couldn't sort out.
Maybe but his move could fund a new defence. I'm less worried seeing as we have Martinelli and Nketiah. I prefer Auba, don't get me wrong, but needs must.

We reported a hefty loss in our accounts today too. Money is tight.

darko

I‘m quite sure that it‘s more of an advantage for the home team as was already pointed out. Although some might agree with you, I think the majority of clubs see having the return leg at home as an advantage.

Would be interesting to check the stats on games won during extra-time. How often did the home-team win, how often the away-team?
In the round of 32, home advantage of hosting the second leg is determined by group placing, as most of know. I can see why the away goal rule shouldn't be applied in extra time. Beyond the first knockout phase, there is no guarantee of who hosts which leg.

darko

Arteta sees good results. Caf: it's too early to evaluate him
Arteta crashes out of Europa League. Caf: this is why he was a horrible appointment
They hired a head coach with zero head coaching experience. Still the 'London' media never talks about this.

ReddBalls

Some good, some bad. But the caftards, like Sith, only deal in absolutes.

I doubt you have much of a clue from your posts but feel free to chime in with bollocks as you see fit.
How about telling me where I am wrong? I am certainly no expert on Arsenal matters, but from what I gather, they have been hoarding substandard players for a while. I'd rather be told what I am wrong about than just being called clueless.

Yakuza_devils

Why on earth they got rid of Arsene Wenger? At least he was able to produce lots of youngster to become world class player consistently. Wenger operated very well with shoestring budget and consistently got them TOP 4 with attacking football. Wenger signings were also good. Wenger downfall was the owner refused to spend.

They replaced Wenger with manager like Emery and Arteta? Madness.

Knux

Supports
AIK Stockholm
I know this isnt Artetas fault but the recruitment at Arsenal has been shocking for years now. I honestly cant remember a player they signed except for Auba that i thought ”Oh we missed out on that one”. There are just a bunch of avarage players for massive fees and salary.

I know the same can be Said about ours in some way. But atleast we seem to get it right this time. And if Arteta can get the same success With new signings as Ole, they will be fine.

JazzG

Resident Arse.
Really disappointing performance but was a bit annoyed with Arteta's tactics and subs. He's improved the defence but our attacking play needs to improve a lot. Also on the day I can not believe he let Laca stay on for as long as he did, the guy has been shit all season and felt like Martinelli looked more threatening in the 15 or so minutes he was on compared to the 100+ minutes Laca played.

We were unlucky as Auba scores that chance 99 times out of a 100 but our performance was so bad, Olympiacos were shit as well but we didn't deserve anything from that game.

I know this isnt Artetas fault but the recruitment at Arsenal has been shocking for years now. I honestly cant remember a player they signed except for Auba that i thought ”Oh we missed out on that one”. There are just a bunch of avarage players for massive fees and salary.

I know the same can be Said about ours in some way. But atleast we seem to get it right this time. And if Arteta can get the same success With new signings as Ole, they will be fine.
Our player recruitment for years has been diabolical. From the summer of Xhaka/Mustafi onwards most of our transfers have been flops. Unlike Man Utd who seem to have an endless pit of money we don't and need to be smart. Not like good players haven't moved for reasonable sums in that time either.

cyberman

What does he actually do?
Fecking Keown talking about taking Citys formation, style etc to Arsenal like he was Pep himself.
Arteta was also getting praised over Ole on here as well.

el3mel

Unbelievable. I just checked and they only won 9 games out of 30 ? Ridiculous.