Mikel Arteta | Lego Pep watch

Che Guevara

Supports
Celtic
Man Utd and Arsenal look like the dark horses this season, I think they have done the best business so far. If City sign Grealish they will be title favourites again.

pascell

Man Utd and Arsenal look like the dark horses this season, I think they have done the best business so far. If City sign Grealish they will be title favourites again.
You're forgetting City won the league quite comfortably ahead of United and Arsenal finished 8th, neither are dark horse, certainly not Arsenal anyway.

Tony247

... 400k is a conservative estimate. Partey got 250k and he moved from At Madrid to Arsenal, Varane is easily getting more. It's still a bargain for a player of Varanes quality so I don't know why anyone should be upset.
It is you arsenal fans brought up his wages and started comparison. Check Varane threads here and you won't find united fans jumping up and down having fits about Varane's wages.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
What's wrong with paying 400k

400k is a conservative estimate.
Nothing wrong with it.

No it is not a conservative estimate especially when the reported wage is far less

Che Guevara

Supports
Celtic
You're forgetting City won the league quite comfortably ahead of United and Arsenal finished 8th, neither are dark horse, certainly not Arsenal anyway.
It's all down to personal opinion, nothing is fact except the table in May.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Tbf it's not limited to Twitter. Look at one or two Arsenal fans doubling down the 400k per week nonsense.
And alternatively, there seems to be a lot on here & social media using the Varane transfer as a way to beat up the White transfer. Do we really care what each costs? Arsenal fans could turn round & say they've now got White & Gabriel for less than Harry Maguire, & Utd fans wouldn't give a flying feck quite rightly. The fee's & players mean nothing without context, & to be honest on this day & age of ridiculous fee's they mean feck all anyway.

I just think Utd did well getting Varane, & they have on paper now a league challenging partnership. Let's hope they play as well as they sound on paper.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
And alternatively, there seems to be a lot on here & social media using the Varane transfer as a way to beat up the White transfer. Do we really care what each costs? Arsenal fans could turn round & say they've now got White & Gabriel for less than Harry Maguire, & Utd fans wouldn't give a flying feck quite rightly. The fee's & players mean nothing without context, & to be honest on this day & age of ridiculous fee's they mean feck all anyway.

I just think Utd did well getting Varane, & they have on paper now a league challenging partnership. Let's hope they play as well as they sound on paper.
I agree. I said more or less same in my first post.

What are they supposed to do? They won't be able to sign Varane, so they have signed a player who they think is best suited for their team and banking on his potential.

We really shouldn't be taking the piss for paying big fee, especially for English players. What did AWB achieve that we paid 45-50 million for a RB? IIRC at that time it was second or third biggest fee for a FB/RB.

Maguire didn't achieve much when he signed him. He was good player for Leicester and we broke record for a CB.

royalewithcheese2006

Supports
A Director of Football
This is far from over. Wait till Kounde signs for Chelsea and Romero goes to Spurs. Fans on Twitter will be talking about which of the 4 clubs spent more on the medicals to decide who got a better deal. Maybe even who paid more to get their CBs picked up from the airport.

Cassidy

Arsenal have signed one player who isnt even as good as the CB Liverpool signed?

MO_Football92

Supports
Arsenal
I still don't understand why any United or Arsenal fan is trying to compare 2 different players, at 2 different stages of their career joining 2 very different clubs who are also in a very different position. They both play at CB and it ends there.
Exaggeration. United haven't won a cup in four seasons and Arsenal can't reach Europe. Both are struggling.

MO_Football92

Supports
Arsenal
Man Utd will battle for top four with Leicester and Arsenal under Arteta, are likely to be around 8th-10th.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
It's all down to personal opinion, nothing is fact except the table in May.
I could say it is my opinion that Brentford will win the Premier League next season, but that would be an absurd and absolutely wrong opinion.Just like your opinion on Arsenal.

Anyone can make an opinion but basing it on absolutely nothing but a hunch is ridiculous.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Why are people getting ruffled by the opinion of 12 year olds on twitter? Arsenal supporting 12 year olds at that!
I don't think there are any 12 year olds that support Arsenal. Unless they grew up fawning over FA cups.

MO_Football92

Supports
Arsenal
United finished 3rd and 2nd in the league the last 2 seasons. Arsenal finished 8th in both of them seasons. There is not even a comparison between the two.
The league quality has been poor these last two seasons. Given the money spent United have only reached one cup final in four seasons. Obviously your established as a consistent top four club now and ahead of Arsenal because of Arteta inexperience. But there isn't a 'huge' difference as original poster claimed.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
The league quality has been poor these last two seasons. Given the money spent United have only reached one cup final in four seasons. Obviously your established as a consistent top four club now and ahead of Arsenal because of Arteta inexperience. But there isn't a 'huge' difference as original poster claimed.
Minor trophies are not that big of a deal though. United have CL football and are far closer to challenging for the PL title than Arsenal.

United have also won the same amount of trophies as Arsenal in the least 5 seasons. You are only saying 4 seasons instead of 5 because it fits the agenda of your argument.

United's squad player for player is miles ahead of Arsenal as well.

Cassidy

Poor league quality yet you finished 8th? What does that tell you?

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Exaggeration. United haven't won a cup in four seasons and Arsenal can't reach Europe. Both are struggling.
If you can't see or don't agree that there is currently a gulf between the two clubs that's fine but you will find the next 3/4 years very very long (and that's if things go okay from now on).
The league is what matters and even in those "poor quality" years, there was at least 2 clubs that were simply unreachable not only for Arsenal but pretty much everyone else.
Just to get back in contention for top 4 we will need at the minimum one big club to suffer some sort of setback.

City is locked in.
Liverpool has a bit of work to maintain their position and renew their front three in the near future. Question mark on wether Klopp will be the one doing it.
United are getting closer with Sancho+Varane but they will need that striker next year to truly be up there.
Chelsea will be Chelsea, any down year will see them hit back very hard in the transfer market.

I like the way we are building a young squad but we will have to exceed expectations once or twice in the next 4 years to be able to keep them all.
Our way back is still qualifying & winning the EL because even taking Leicester/Spurs out i don't see us having enough to break in that top 4.

MO_Football92

Supports
Arsenal
Im not sure if you are deliberately trolling now.
Why would I troll? Its realistic to expect United to challenge for top four and Arsenals decline to continue in line with the progression of clubs like Villa, Leeds etc. You have your opinions and I hold mine. Stop getting triggered.

MO_Football92

Supports
Arsenal
Why stop at 4 years when under Jose we did as much in Europe as your club has in its entire existence. . .
What relevance is that to the discussion?

Both sides have struggled to meet the expectations of giant clubs in recent years; I'm not digging out United. I actually praised you for becoming a consistent top four club under Ole's management. These are just the facts.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
It's because of fans like this I really want Arsenal to struggle and stay where they are. Seriously though, when you are so clueless and deluded , atleast try to stay in your own forums. Coming to a United forum and gloating about the FA cups despite finishing 8th in the last 2 seasons is as laughable as you can get.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
It's because of fans like this I really want Arsenal to struggle and stay where they are. Seriously though, when you are so clueless and deluded , atleast try to stay in your own forums. Coming to a United forum and gloating about the FA cups despite finishing 8th in the last 2 seasons is as laughable as you can get.
Eh, its just one fan. There's no need to bring out the broad brush.

AFC NimbleThumb

Minor trophies are not that big of a deal though. United have CL football and are far closer to challenging for the PL title than Arsenal.

United have also won the same amount of trophies as Arsenal in the least 5 seasons. You are only saying 4 seasons instead of 5 because it fits the agenda of your argument.

United's squad player for player is miles ahead of Arsenal as well.
As above I’m in no way in agreement with that guy but this ‘minor trophy’ comment has triggered me.

We should be collecting everything in sight when & where possible imo.
What relevance is that to the discussion?

Both sides have struggled to meet the expectations of giant clubs in recent years; I'm not digging out United. I actually praised you for becoming a consistent top four club under Ole's management. These are just the facts.
As has previously been mentioned, you stop at 4 years isn’t particularly fair portrayal, so I extrapolated it one year further & it obliterates your clubs European existence, which is about as relevant as the argument you tried to make.

I’d agree both sides have struggled to meet expectations but you do make the same mistake most of my Arsenal mates do which is act as if the club are comparable to begin with, the European comment is, just the facts as you like to say.

Arsenal are a storied team with a good history btw, but the fact you’ve signed up to a United forum to laud 2 FA Cup wins whilst Lego Pep has led you to successive 8th place finishes is peak Arsenal fandom.

Ole's screen

Supports
KC Chiefs
As above I’m in no way in agreement with that guy but this ‘minor trophy’ comment has triggered me.

As has previously been mentioned, you stop at 4 years isn’t particularly fair portrayal, so I extrapolated it one year further & it obliterates your clubs European existence, which is about as relevant as the argument you tried to make.

I’d agree both sides have struggled to meet expectations but you do make the same mistake most of my Arsenal mates do which is act as if the club are comparable to begin with, the European comment is, just the facts as you like to say.

Arsenal are a storied team with a good history btw, but the fact you’ve signed up to a United forum to laud 2 FA Cup wins whilst Lego Pep has led you to successive 8th place finishes is peak Arsenal fandom.
While we should be aiming to everything we’re competing in I would take 2nd and a EL final loss over 6th and a EL win everyday of the week and twice on Sunday.

AllGoodNamesRGone

Supports
Arsenal
We are currently 1-0 to Chelsea in a friendly match. Sounds like Partey went off injured which isn’t good.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager

I do agree that any trophy is obviously better than no trophy, but winning the League Cup or Europa League alone are not a major factor in showing progression. Not winning these trophies is not a sign of a club struggling either which is what he suggested basically.

League positions over a few years show a much bigger sign of progress than winning minor trophies. If I had to choose for United to have won the EL last season and the FA Cup the season before, while finishing 6th in both seasons or finishing 3rd and 2nd the last two season, then I would choose the latter.

I would choose the league positions over minor trophies because league position shows that a team is closer to the major trophies than winning a few minor trophies.

Man United should be winning league titles and CL titles, these are the major trophies for being an elite club.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
We are currently 1-0 to Chelsea in a friendly match. Sounds like Partey went off injured which isn’t good.
Completely turned his ankle. Lokonga-Xhaka masterclass on the opening day !

NieThePiet

Supports
Werder Bremen, Arsenal
Completely turned his ankle. Lokonga-Xhaka masterclass on the opening day !
I would love to see Lokonga after what i have seen in preseason from him, but we know Mini-Pep, that he will start his lover Elneny.

Bleu

Supports
New England Revolution
The madness in this thread, Arsenal winning the title? Might as well have them Champions League favorites this year when they couldnt even bloody make Europa. They have just as good a shot winning it as the PL, nonexistent.