Mikel Arteta | Lego Pep watch

Cloud7

The strangest thing for me is that he’s getting so much more leeway than Emery. Emery was a far more accomplished manager before his arsenal stint, and after as well. Arteta hasn’t shown anything in the short term, or in terms of long term planning, to justify why he should be given more patience than emery got.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
He resigned because he was getting forced to sell some of his best players, and would get little budget to replace them.

Remember, Arsenal will spend over £100M this summer. Its might not be as much as Chelsea or Man City, but let's not pretend we haven't spent money, because that's letting them off
You mean Ben White and Odegaard? Yeah I dont think that will get Conte off his lounger in the Italian Riviera

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
You mean Ben White and Odegaard? Yeah I dont think that will get Conte off his lounger in the Italian Riviera
No, but it shows a manger getting backed, & a rookie manager at that. The man spoke to Spurs & was close to joining them & they've won what 1 trophy in 30 years?!

Anyway, its a daft discussion because until Arteta gets sacked then we wouldn't know either way. Knowing us we probably wouldn't go for Conte anyway as that's too obvious, we'd try leftfield for Klopps kit man or something like that.

crossy1686

career ending
No, but it shows a manger getting backed, & a rookie manager at that. The man spoke to Spurs & was close to joining them & they've won what 1 trophy in 30 years?!

Anyway, its a daft discussion because until Arteta gets sacked then we wouldn't know either way. Knowing us we probably wouldn't go for Conte anyway as that's too obvious, we'd try leftfield for Klopps kit man or something like that.
Yeah but exactly, he didn't join Spurs because he wasn't confident they would win anything. With a manager that has a stock as high as Conte, why would he go to Spurs or Arsenal? He doesn't need a project like he did when he joined Chelsea.

But yeah I agree with that, I think Arsenal are more inclined to go for the bloke at Southampton, Potter or maybe even Viera if he does well with Palace. I think the big name doesn't work for Arsenal, the same way it doesn't work for United. It's not what either club is about

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Yeah but exactly, he didn't join Spurs because he wasn't confident they would win anything. With a manager that has a stock as high as Conte, why would he go to Spurs or Arsenal? He doesn't need a project like he did when he joined Chelsea.

But yeah I agree with that, I think Arsenal are more inclined to go for the bloke at Southampton, Potter or maybe even Viera if he does well with Palace. I think the big name doesn't work for Arsenal, the same way it doesn't work for United. It's not what either club is about
Think more than anything it's about selling a new manager like Conte a project. In saying that, if the Kronke's are the owners then yeah, can see him asking questions & possibly not liking the answers. Wouldn't have minded seeing how a White, Saliba Gabriel back 3 would have done haha.

tinfish

Supports
Arsenal
Im not talking out my arse. If you can't see there is a clear strategy this summer of trying to buy a younger core then I don't know what to say. Whether that works or not can be argued, but at least there looks to be some sort of strategy now again, something we seem to have lost the years previous.

Im not a fan of the ownership either. Absent owners who's poor decisions (or lack of) have helped lead us to where we are. Edu & Arteta have it all to prove as well, fully agree there. Perhaps the best thing long term for the club is to not improve or go 1 step back so the pressure on the Kronkes become too great & they sell up to Daniel Ek or the like I don't know.

However, I won't apologise for trying to be optimistic just now. Is that not what football is basically about at this point in the year, the hope that next season will be better, that new signings come in & lift the team? Otherwise, it's a bit of a sh!try existence for the life of a football supporter if everything is just negative & doom & gloom, why even bother then? Of course reality hits everyone when the playing actually starts, but that's the same for 90% of supporters.
Do you still have the same optimism? All the rumours and links and Ben White is our marquee signing. Odegaard, whilst I don't think he's a bad player, is another softie who will go missing when we need a result.

It seems Arteta has lost the dressing room. Aubameyang and Lacazette missing is certainly no coincidence, the same happened with Emery prior to his sacking. The signings have not lifted the team, actually Ben White has been lambasted because of his debut performance. Arteta, Edu and Vinai seem to be an even bigger problem than the owners right now :lol:

We had 4 full backs on the bench against Brentford and only 1 game changer (Saka). Jesus wept.

I don't know why god chose to shaft Arsenal hard since the Emirates move. We just can't catch a break....for me it's easy to disconnect from football and see our decline from a comedy perspective. But for others who are far more invested, it's horrible seeing the mental toll it's had on our supporters.

lex talionis

It’s not premature to take an inventory of proper managers who are without a club at the moment.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Do you still have the same optimism? All the rumours and links and Ben White is our marquee signing. Odegaard, whilst I don't think he's a bad player, is another softie who will go missing when we need a result.

It seems Arteta has lost the dressing room. Aubameyang and Lacazette missing is certainly no coincidence, the same happened with Emery prior to his sacking. The signings have not lifted the team, actually Ben White has been lambasted because of his debut performance. Arteta, Edu and Vinai seem to be an even bigger problem than the owners right now :lol:

We had 4 full backs on the bench against Brentford and only 1 game changer (Saka). Jesus wept.

I don't know why god chose to shaft Arsenal hard since the Emirates move. We just can't catch a break....for me it's easy to disconnect from football and see our decline from a comedy perspective. But for others who are far more invested, it's horrible seeing the mental toll it's had on our supporters.
It's fair to say the optimism has eroded somewhat. My optimism was based on the changes we were told that would happen, & low & behold they haven't happened yet.

Could see the Brentford result happen a mile off, I can't remember but I think I even said it on here. It was a perfect storm, promoted team, first game at home, Friday night live on tv, spine of the team missing with youngsters like Balogun & Lokonga getting thrown in.

I agree the Aubameyang & Lacazette is very suspicious, we'll need to see how that plays out. Unfortunately I'm now that way where I'm not actually that bothered if any of those 2 leave. Even if it really was an illness, I think the season won't really start for Arsenal until after the international break, when Gabriel & Partey are due back & we'll likely have a couple of new signings because I've no doubt we'll be forced into the market. That itself isn't good enough though, as its yet another season we've started undercooked.

The manager will do well to come back from this, think the writing might be on the wall now.

crossy1686

career ending
It's fair to say the optimism has eroded somewhat. My optimism was based on the changes we were told that would happen, & low & behold they haven't happened yet.

Could see the Brentford result happen a mile off, I can't remember but I think I even said it on here. It was a perfect storm, promoted team, first game at home, Friday night live on tv, spine of the team missing with youngsters like Balogun & Lokonga getting thrown in.

I agree the Aubameyang & Lacazette is very suspicious, we'll need to see how that plays out. Unfortunately I'm now that way where I'm not actually that bothered if any of those 2 leave. Even if it really was an illness, I think the season won't really start for Arsenal until after the international break, when Gabriel & Partey are due back & we'll likely have a couple of new signings because I've no doubt we'll be forced into the market. That itself isn't good enough though, as its yet another season we've started undercooked.

The manager will do well to come back from this, think the writing might be on the wall now.
Realistically, how many games does Arteta go without winning before he gets the sack? Do they have a plan to replace him or will it be a panic appointment? It’s all fair and well sacking a manager but when you don’t have a plan your next appointment could put you even further down the table.

Who’s available this time of year? You’re best of waiting until January and seeing what state you’re in then

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
The strangest thing for me is that he’s getting so much more leeway than Emery. Emery was a far more accomplished manager before his arsenal stint, and after as well. Arteta hasn’t shown anything in the short term, or in terms of long term planning, to justify why he should be given more patience than emery got.
Emery was treated idiotically. The solution is not to insist on applying a similarly idiotic standard to Arteta.

Guy Incognito

Who is responsible for negotiating deals and contracts at that club? Why did they get rid of Willock (a goalscorer) and decided to hand Xhaka (who wanted to leave) a new deal? They should've cut their losses, he isn't good enough for a Premier League midfield.

White isn't a bad player but he is learning off a rubbish backline. At least Wenger knew that and got Holding (?) from the lower leagues at cut price.

How much more will Saka take if Arsenal finish eighth again this season?

The holy trinity 68

The disparager

£100m on transfers for Conte would not be getting backed when every other top club would be outspending them. I don't think Conte would manage Arsenal for this reason. He is a title winning manager, he wouldn't come to Arsenal unless he 100% believed they could challenge the top teams in a season or 2, which there is no chance of doing with the current Arsenal team or Edu and Kroenke etc running the show.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
£100m on transfers for Conte would not be getting backed when every other top club would be outspending them. I don't think Conte would manage Arsenal for this reason. He is a title winning manager, he wouldn't come to Arsenal unless he 100% believed they could challenge the top teams in a season or 2, which there is no chance of doing with the current Arsenal team or Edu and Kroenke etc running the show.
He will come with big salary and three year deal for sure.Once he feel he is not backed he will throw the board under media scrutiny and resign immediately.

That will end in chaos so why arsenal board backed yes man like Arteta despite his failure.

Djemba-Djemba

It's time like this I wonder what our old pal petestory is thinking right now.

Is he in a padded cell mumbling 5 year plan to himself over and over?

jackal&hyde

The most damning thing about his managerial skills and coaching is that top players with known ability to perform have been significantly worse with Arteta then other managers. Add to that poor decisions in the transfer market and we have arguably the worst manager I've seen in the PL. At least at a top club.

Oranges038

Who is responsible for negotiating deals and contracts at that club? Why did they get rid of Willock (a goalscorer) and decided to hand Xhaka (who wanted to leave) a new deal? They should've cut their losses, he isn't good enough for a Premier League midfield.

White isn't a bad player but he is learning off a rubbish backline. At least Wenger knew that and got Holding (?) from the lower leagues at cut price.

How much more will Saka take if Arsenal finish eighth again this season?
Xhaka should have been sacked the day he walked off flipping off the crowd. The only reason he is still there and playing is because, unbelievably he is still their best midfielder.

Arsenal have one of the worst midfields in the league, that is their main problem and has been for years.

Partey - not what he was hyped up to be.
Smith Rowe - still too young and light.
Torreira - Runs around and fouls & Arteta doesn't like him
Maitland Niles - I don't see it
Lokonga - New - might be good, I doubt it.
Elneny - he is shite
Xhaka - just useless and a headcase.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Its alright they are busy talking smack about our manager who is actually creating a very good atmosphere and forgetting about what theirs is doing.
Yeah so much delusion.

He will come with big salary and three year deal for sure.Once he feel he is not backed he will throw the board under media scrutiny and resign immediately.

That will end in chaos so why arsenal board backed yes man like Arteta despite his failure.
Conte would know before he even agreed to go there that he wouldn't be backed enough, so he wouldn't even get to resign.

Arsenal fans are deluded to think Conte would even want to go to them.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
I doubt Conte would take the job without gigantic financial backing. But at the same time if he had preliminary talks with Spurs, why wouldn't he at least think about it.
It might have been a courtesy towards Paratici or he might want to come back to the PL if a suitable offer arrive.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Arteta spent £71m in this summer. Let’s add Ødegaard and Ramsdale since those two are linked with arsenal at the moment, it will be more or less around £130m-£140m. 130m-140m should be enough to make significant improvement in the squad from last season but I still don’t see it on paper. Arteta is going to keep waste the money on players that don’t improve the squad.

Abraxas

To my way of thinking this looks like the first summer Arteta has been backed. Prior to this the net spend has been pitiful. People criticise the signings but the budget dictates the market you're shopping in. Some of them such as Willian were obviously bad mistakes, but a few were probably made out of compromise and some contract extensions were probably made for similar reasons. If you know your budget is extremely low it's not a matter of idealism, it is one of making do with signings that wouldn't even feature on the radar of top clubs.

He's going to have to show serious signs of improvement this year. I think top 4 is a gigantic ask for the current group. But treading water will not be acceptable if they add Odegaard at an inflated price to White. Arteta will have to show a type of football and results that indicates he should continue to be backed otherwise even he will not last beyond the season despite the appearance of patience.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Manager
PL Games​
W​
D​
L​
Loss %​
Ole
98​
52​
27​
19​
19%​
Arteta
59​
27​
13​
19​
32%​

When you think there's a fairly decent sized portion of our fanbase that looks down on Ole and his achievements and he's still made out to be a joke to our rivals. Yet Arteta's record is truly abysmal, he's so unbelievably rubbish.

Bob Rivers

Supports
Chelsea
Manager
PL Games​
W​
D​
L​
Loss %​
Ole
98​
52​
27​
19​
19%​
Arteta
59​
27​
13​
19​
32%​

When you think there's a fairly decent sized portion of our fanbase that looks down on Ole and his achievements and he's still made out to be a joke to our rivals. Yet Arteta's record is truly abysmal, he's so unbelievably rubbish.
I don't think Ole should be looked down at or mocked, but he hasn't really got any achievements yet, apart from winning trophies in his home country, which let's be honest outside of Norway, nobody gives a crap about. Ole has been on the job a year longer than Arteta and spent a whole lot more money while winning nothing so far. Arteta finsihed eighth twice in a row, but he got the FA Cup in his first season.

That's not to say Arteta is a better manager but it's not fair to compare the two given the difference in a squad quality and financial backing.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
To my way of thinking this looks like the first summer Arteta has been backed. Prior to this the net spend has been pitiful. People criticise the signings but the budget dictates the market you're shopping in. Some of them such as Willian were obviously bad mistakes, but a few were probably made out of compromise and some contract extensions were probably made for similar reasons. If you know your budget is extremely low it's not a matter of idealism, it is one of making do with signings that wouldn't even feature on the radar of top clubs.
They have spent big money on players under Arteta. £40m Partey, £23m Gabriel, Mari £12m (includes loan fee from season prior).

Also 4 months before he arrived the club spent £72m Pepe, £27m Saliba, £24m Tierney, £6m Martinelli, £7m Luiz. Even if they weren't bought when he was manager, he is still expected to get the best out of what he inherited and he inherited £130m of players bought 4 months before his job, so its not like the squad hasn't had investment.

£75m was spent on players this summer also. That is £270m worth of players brought in over the last 2 years. On top of inheriting Lacazette and Aubameyang.

To say he hasn't been backed or the squad hasn't had investment is ridiculous. He has shown that he can't get the best out of players so why should the club even bother backing him further?

OneUnited24

I don't think Ole should be looked down at or mocked, but he hasn't really got any achievements yet, apart from winning trophies in his home country, which let's be honest outside of Norway, nobody gives a crap about. Ole has been on the job a year longer than Arteta and spent a whole lot more money while winning nothing so far. Arteta finsihed eighth twice in a row, but he got the FA Cup in his first season.

That's not to say Arteta is a better manager but it's not fair to compare the two given the difference in a squad quality and financial backing.
I think it’s safe to say that fa cup was a result of new manager bounce. You really tell how good a manager is once you see who they buy and motivate the team. Both of which seems aimless for me.

Mike Smalling

Magic Mikel needs to win at least 5 of his next 13 games to maintain a +50% win record in his first 100 games. This series of games includes City, Chelsea, Spurs, Leicester and Liverpool, as well as other potential tricky ties like Burnley and Villa. Can he do it?

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Realistically, how many games does Arteta go without winning before he gets the sack? Do they have a plan to replace him or will it be a panic appointment? It’s all fair and well sacking a manager but when you don’t have a plan your next appointment could put you even further down the table.

Who’s available this time of year? You’re best of waiting until January and seeing what state you’re in then
Truthfully, pressure is in him now, you'll probably see the frustration next week at home to Chelsea. Then after that it's Man City away then the window shuts & it's international break.

After the break, there's 4 games, Norwich (H), Burnley (A), Spurs (H), Brighton (A). Struggle in these games & the fan pressure might be too much.

As for succession planning, there's no obvious outstanding candidate if people think Conte is put of reach, so yeah I doubt any change would be planned well.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout

Given how hyped up Arteta is, surely he should be able to do better than two 8th places. You say he's not been backed and yet he's spent €177m, joining Arsenal after they had spent over €150m in the Summer. That's €330m in 3 seasons.

Give me a 2nd and 3rd place over two 8th place finishes and a FA Cup. That's fecking terrible, you have to go back to 94/95 when Arsenal last finished outside of the Top 6. Yet Arteta has managed it twice in two seasons! Reality check, Arteta will go down as one of the worst Arsenal Managers in modern times. Just apalling. Arsenal should have binned him when you got rid of Lampard. Both totally underwhelming and way, way out of their depth.

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
he is like a new guy in the office who makes an impression of an specialist but you're the only guy who see he is a bullshitter.
It's incredible that manger get criticized for so many and the guy is made of Teflon. nothing sticks to him.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies

Whilst I agree to an extent, Solskjaer was a goalkeeper’s penalty away from a European trophy. He may not have won an FA cup but I’d be genuinely stunned if he left United without at least 1 or 2 trophies to his name. Feels like the same stick we used to try beat Klopp with until everything fell into place.

romufc

I really don't get Arteta and the direction he wants to go.

Surely last season as his first full season, he would have known which players he wants to keep and which he needs to get rid of?

The issues with Xhaka shows there is no thought.
Odegard was on loan, if he is the guy why not try get the deal done, it almost looks like they had 3 options before him and are now trying to get that done?
Upfront, he has no clue which striker will play.

Even in defence, last season he persevered with Holding but now its Mari and White.

Abraxas

They have spent big money on players under Arteta. £40m Partey, £23m Gabriel, Mari £12m (includes loan fee from season prior).

Also 4 months before he arrived the club spent £72m Pepe, £27m Saliba, £24m Tierney, £6m Martinelli, £7m Luiz. Even if they weren't bought when he was manager, he is still expected to get the best out of what he inherited and he inherited £130m of players bought 4 months before his job, so its not like the squad hasn't had investment.

£75m was spent on players this summer also. That is £270m worth of players brought in over the last 2 years. On top of inheriting Lacazette and Aubameyang.

To say he hasn't been backed or the squad hasn't had investment is ridiculous. He has shown that he can't get the best out of players so why should the club even bother backing him further?
The net spend of Arteta was around 80 million if I recall, prior to this year's transfer window. We just spent this much on one player. If that doesn't emphasise the difference between where Arsenal are at in terms of ownership and budgets and where the top sides are I don't know what does. We can address one position with the money with which they have had to try and rectify a squad.

All I'm saying is I think there has to be some kind of realism over the types of signings you get when this is the entire outlay over a few windows. They're not the top bracket, they're hopeful signings that have potential or people that just aren't top class and never will be but they can hopefully do a job.

They were also being added to a fairly average squad to begin with. He has to get the best out of them agreed, but what is the best of Pepe, Saliba, Tierney, Luiz? Nobody above Arsenal in the league would be coming knocking for them. I can't factor in other people's mistakes in the market. This would be like blaming Arsenal's next manager if White flops, it makes no sense.

I agree he seems to have been backed this summer, the fruits of which are yet to be determined. Which is why I said he will need to improve substantially on what has been shown. However, that is not really in dispute, it is the reading of previous backing and exactly what should be expected out of this lot that I question. My feeling is yes he should have done somewhat better and no I wouldn't be confident in him as a chairman, but there's not much balance on this forum either.

Last edited:

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
I really don't get Arteta and the direction he wants to go.

Surely last season as his first full season, he would have known which players he wants to keep and which he needs to get rid of?

The issues with Xhaka shows there is no thought.
Odegard was on loan, if he is the guy why not try get the deal done, it almost looks like they had 3 options before him and are now trying to get that done?
Upfront, he has no clue which striker will play.

Even in defence, last season he persevered with Holding but now its Mari and White.
I don't get the mixed signals either. Xhaka was wanting to go, Arteta was willing to let him go, problem is Arsenal had a valuation & Roma didn't bid near enough. Fair enough, but don't offer him a new contract.

Odegaard is different, think everyone knows Odegaard's first pick was to try & make it at Madrid. However, after Ancelotti watching him pre season he's saying Odegaard won't be first choice, & Odegaard doesn't want to ride on the bench. That's where the opportunity to sign him has arose, & I think Arteta has been willing to sit that out & hope it develops that way.

As for defence, I think his first choice partnership will be White & Gabriel. However, Gabriel is injured, so Mari been left footed is his understudy. Holding will be White's understudy.

romufc

I don't get the mixed signals either. Xhaka was wanting to go, Arteta was willing to let him go, problem is Arsenal had a valuation & Roma didn't bid near enough. Fair enough, but don't offer him a new contract.

Odegaard is different, think everyone knows Odegaard's first pick was to try & make it at Madrid. However, after Ancelotti watching him pre season he's saying Odegaard won't be first choice, & Odegaard doesn't want to ride on the bench. That's where the opportunity to sign him has arose, & I think Arteta has been willing to sit that out & hope it develops that way.

As for defence, I think his first choice partnership will be White & Gabriel. However, Gabriel is injured, so Mari been left footed is his understudy. Holding will be White's understudy.
Not just that, giving him the captaincy as well in the absence of Auby.

It just feels there is no clear direction in the transfer window, its not going to be an easy process but he really has to go with the players he wants to build on.

I do not see how Arsenal build on Lacca, Auba and the like.

AshRK

It just feels there is no clear direction in the transfer window, its not going to be an easy process but he really has to go with the players he wants to build on.

Thing is they are regressing. I don't see any culture shift that some here are talking about. The other thing is I can't see the board now sacking Arteta after 3 or 4 games so they are stuck with him at least till October/November so that means more wasted time and probably wasted season again. He should have been sacked last December itself and could have appointed even someone like Benitez who would have done a much better job. The more they are stuck with Arteta the more they are going backwards

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal

Did you see the team on Friday though?

Leno
Chambers White Mari Tierney
Xhaka Lokonga
Pepe Smith-Rowe Martinelli
Balogun

Given Xhaka is easily most senior, captain of his country, he was the obvious choice, so I can't really complain about that.

I think the most disappointing thing about Arsenal last season was the form of the senior players, Auba was poor in the main, Laca not much better, so I'm going to be brutally honest, it wouldn't break my heart to see either of them go. Getting adequate replacements, thats another matter.