Mikel Arteta | Lego Pep watch

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Villa could be the final nail in the coffin for me as far as I'm concerned with Arteta.

Flexdegea

Lucky to get a point today as Palace were the better team. Having said that, Arsenal only 3 pts behind us having already played Chelsea, City and Spurs.

Never get the point of these posts.

Look at the table, there about 10 other teams about 3 points behind or couple in front, going from villa up to Brighton........it's no achievement being 3 points behind a misfiring United early into the season

Sanchez7

Never get the point of these posts.

Look at the table, there about 10 other teams about 3 points behind or couple in front, going from villa up to Brighton........it's no achievement being 3 points behind a misfiring United early into the season
You do realise that they lost first 3 fixtures of the season? Arsenal are another big club with a questionable manager - it is a reasonable comparison to make.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Lucky to get a point today as Palace were the better team. Having said that, Arsenal only 3 pts behind us having already played Chelsea, City and Spurs.
Alternatively they have 11 points from 8 games after having faced the 14th, 15th, 17th, 21st and 23rd placed teams from last season. They've scored 7 goals in 8 games.

Flexdegea

You do realise that they lost first 3 fixtures of the season? Arsenal are another big club with a questionable manager - it is a reasonable comparison to make.

It's really not......would make sense if it was more than half way thru the season and we were only 3 ahead of them up the table......they currently bottom half of table.......as I say their is about 8 teams between us all same points down to villa who 4 behind.........not impressive at all or a good comparison to get excited about.

Same crap AFTV where posting about earlier likes it massive achievement we could be one point behind title contenders United.........seriously low bar this early into season.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Funny to see Ars fans slating Partey, he looked incredible for Atletico against Liverpool and I personally thought we should go for him.
What's funny about that ? The goal is clearly on him, he messed up. Fans were cheering him again 3 minutes later anyway.
I'm not sure this formation works with him being the only defensive player. The Xhaka injury is forcing our hand but i'd prefer to see 2 DM and maybe alternate Saka and Pepe on the right for a while.

MUFC OK

What's funny about that ? The goal is clearly on him, he messed up. Fans were cheering him again 3 minutes later anyway.
I'm not sure this formation works with him being the only defensive player. The Xhaka injury is forcing our hand but i'd prefer to see 2 DM and maybe alternate Saka and Pepe on the right for a while.
You've been espousing his merits but you can't say it's been good as of yet. To be honest it's a lot like top players signed by Utd who for whatever reason struggle to replicate the form they showed at previous clubs.

Xhaka was supposed to leave wasn't he? The fact he is still there should be an issue for you imo.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
What are realistic expectations from your fans this season, push for EL?
I wanted more consistent performances, I wanted to control games better, to see better attacking football, to get more points than last season which should push us towards a top 6 place. I'm not really seeing any of those things. I gave him the first few games as I knew we were missing lots of players, but no excuse with near a full team now.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
I wanted more consistent performances, I wanted to control games better, to see better attacking football, to get more points than last season which should push us towards a top 6 place. I'm not really seeing any of those things. I gave him the first few games as I knew we were missing lots of players, but no excuse with near a full team now.
What are you feelings regarding Lacazette playing like 90mn over 8 games?

Giggsy13

I wanted to laugh at Arsenal desperately fighting for a draw against Palace, but then realized our predicament, that if a few results went the other way we’d be behind them :lol:. BUT the Ole in mob will tell you everything is alright!

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
What are you feelings regarding Lacazette playing like 90mn over 8 games?
It's a tough 1. I usually don't like Auba wide as he's not very creative, the team generally last season seemed to play better with Laca central as he's a better link man than Auba, but do you drop Auba then?

Still deserves more minutes than he's been getting.

The Purley King

The only difference between ole and arteta is that ole has spent more and has slightly better results.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
I’m worried that Arsenal and us will be looking for a new manager at the same time. Which makes a difficult job that bit harder. Arteta is a a busted flush, that’s for damn sure. Arsenal are so so bad under him.
Why are you worried? We won't be going for same type of manager and they don't have any sort of Europran football so will be harder for them to attract top names.

Damien

Staff
What type will they be looking for? What type will we be looking for?
I can see them going for managers in the league who have done well - Potter/Rodgers - while we look more externally.

Hell, we saw how badly Spurs did in terms of managerial recruitment and they were in a better state than Arsenal.

tomaldinho1

Wonder if you just saw your next manager, a much bigger Arsenal legend, in the opposite dugout to be honest.

My take as someone on the outside is when he came in things looks very structured and controlled and then it’s kind of drifted away but not been replaced by anything.

Damien

Staff
Don’t forget their last managerial signing was Emery. I don’t see why they wouldn’t go externally again.

I’d rather Rodgers joined us than them.
They might go externally but we saw how Spurs' managerial recruitment went and they were in a much better state. Arsenal haven't been in the CL for years now and that does have an impact.

Personally I can't see them hiring a Conte (hope we don't), ten Hag or Zidane. If we were to sack Ole I'd be surprised if we hired outside of those 3 names and Poch

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
It's a tough 1. I usually don't like Auba wide as he's not very creative, the team generally last season seemed to play better with Laca central as he's a better link man than Auba, but do you drop Auba then?

Still deserves more minutes than he's been getting.
Yeah I thought so. It's pretty weird becaue Laca looks good most of the time when he's on the pitch but barley plays. I still think a 2 strikers attack could be a solution so Auba isn't too far wide.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Another massive game for him tonight, he's already failed to clear the bar (what's the opposite expression of clearing the bar? knock down the bar?) in terms of points so far this season, but he's kept it narrow to the edge, having the team produce a good performance once in a while and making it seem like some sort of upward trajectory.

In reality, I think he's just inconsistent and patchy in his qualities as a manager overall and it will never change, but (a bit like Solskjaer had repeatedly until recently) he's apparently managed to stall or quell the sort of negative dynamic that would lead to him actually being sacked, so far (though arguably only because the bar has been lowered so much, much lower than for Solskjaer).

But Leicester is a rival for European football places, in general a team of which Arsenal should consider and aspire their team to be above, and Rodgers is of course also a potentially candidate for the Arsenal job.
So Arsenal get a win today, it would be very positive for Arteta in his struggle to stay in the job.

Idxomer

Funnn how he will still easily end up being a better manager than Ole.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Funnn how he will still easily end up being a better manager than Ole.
I think he has his problems but I've defended Arteta quite a bit in this thread.
It's been really antagonistic against him.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
That the team has a good game is nothing new, he's found momentarily functioning constructions before. They've always been very fragile though, let's see how this 4-4-2 fares in adverse circumstances.

BlueHaze

And there you go people... With our squad we are now officially behind these lot...

izec

And there you go people... With our squad we are now officially behind these lot...
Only need a Spurs win and we are at the level of Everton, Leicester and Wolves sitting midtable. Fighting for the EL and intertoto cup spots or whatever the feck it is called.
Even the banter club Arsenal are doing better and showing good form.

Skills

Snitch
I think he has his problems but I've defended Arteta quite a bit in this thread.
It's been really antagonistic against him.
Tbf it was really antagonistic against Lampard as well. I reckon Lampard especially will end up with a decent top level career - not necessarily at a top club though.

He impressed a lot of people at Derby

Jezpeza

Do they have enough about them for a Top 4 challenge?
I hope not.
It looks good, 17 points from 21 great but its 5 wins against Norwich, Burnley, Villa, and against two good on paper but struggling teams Spurs and Leicester. Drew against Palace and Brighton. Playing mainly 1 game a week apart from league cup, where they have had easy draws. That might actually aid them though in that they can prepare nicely for every single fixture and avoid injuries and fatigue. Have to see where they are in 10 games

Mastadon

Supports
Arsenal
He’s on a good run now but it’s nothing we haven’t seen him or Ole do before when under pressure. Is he the right man to bring Arsenal into the top 4? I highly doubt it and a few good results won’t change that. He would need to finish at least 5th for me to change my opinion on him.