Mikel Arteta | Lego Pep watch

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Mods I have a request that anyone that commented on me in this thread is not allowed to delete their post :lol:. Dont worry, i will @ them later when the season is over. 5th or 4th wherever they finish, was definitely unexpected from a lot on here. So far, Arteta is doing a great job for Arsenal this season. It will be interesting to see who he targets in the summer. I believe they should definitely go for Jesus as one of their target.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
I missed us kicking Arsenals butts. Great to have them back in the cl.
Don't jinx us. We aren't there yet. Still time to feck things up, almost tried to do that today!

cafecillos

Spurs - Arsenal could be fun. If Arsenal lose this one, I reckon they won't make top 4.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Spurs - Arsenal could be fun. If Arsenal lose this one, I reckon they won't make top 4.
Yeah draw and they're in, Lose and they could easily slip up away to Newcastle.

I assume they'll pack plenty behind the ball on Thursday. No need to push up that high and leave 20-30 yards for Son to run into.

The_Midfielder

Yeah draw and they're in, Lose and they could easily slip up away to Newcastle.

I assume they'll pack plenty behind the ball on Thursday. No need to push up that high and leave 20-30 yards for Son to run into.
Add their last game against Everton who have surprisingly shown some grit in the last few games

Flexdegea

Arsenal really are the ultimate top 4 trophy club, the hype from the manager, the fans, the ex players, the pundits all talking it up like it's a massive achievement.

Show how far they've dropped off as a club.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Arsenal really are the ultimate top 4 trophy club, the hype from the manager, the fans, the ex players, the pundits all talking it up like it's a massive achievement.

Show how far they've dropped off as a club.
Not a big achievement but considering we've not managed it in the last 5 or 6 years & you've only managed it 3 times post Fergie it's shows us where we have BOTH dropped off as clubs.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Not a big achievement but considering we've not managed it in the last 5 or 6 years & you've only managed it 3 times post Fergie it's shows us where we have BOTH dropped off as clubs.
It's only 3 non Arteta years though isn't it? Hasn't he been in charge for 3 of those 6 years?

Flexdegea

Aye wee are total shite, but wee had half our fans not even happy with 2nd place finishes, that the differences.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
It's only 3 non Arteta years though isn't it? Hasn't he been in charge for 3 of those 6 years?
2 and a half yeah, 2 Wenger & 1 Emery years I think.

Aye wee are total shite, but wee had half our fans not even happy with 2nd place finishes, that the differences.
We had fans wanting Wenger out after finishing 2nd in 2015/2016. Not done us any good either eh?

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
I’d actually apportion the responsibility equally. 2 years Wenger / 2 years Emery / 2 years Arteta.

Arteta took over in December with us sitting 11th. So us finishing 8th is more to do with Emery than Arteta.

Last season is all on him, though. Willian made 37 appearances for us. 37!!! I think if we had sacked him at the end of last season he couldn’t have had too many complaints. But our board think he has potential so backed him enormously. It seems to have paid off this season, but we need a top striker and there are very few around. This Summer is huge for us.

AshRK

Good win today but I am still not fan of his playing style. Playing against a 10 man leeds for over 70 minutes and leading by 2 goals and yet there were moments arsenal were being dominated by them. I can see them sitting back on most games next season.

Conor

I’d actually apportion the responsibility equally. 2 years Wenger / 2 years Emery / 2 years Arteta.

Arteta took over in December with us sitting 11th. So us finishing 8th is more to do with Emery than Arteta.

Last season is all on him, though. Willian made 37 appearances for us. 37!!! I think if we had sacked him at the end of last season he couldn’t have had too many complaints. But our board think he has potential so backed him enormously. It seems to have paid off this season, but we need a top striker and there are very few around. This Summer is huge for us.
Arsenal were 10th and 2 points off 8th when Arteta took over mid season, with a team that had finished 5th the year before. Didn't you use some crap logic in your previous posts interacting with me to tell me that Conte didn't really have an excuse for being in a very similar situation this season?

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Good win today but I am still not fan of his playing style. Playing against a 10 man leeds for over 70 minutes and leading by 2 goals and yet there were moments arsenal were being dominated by them. I can see them sitting back on most games next season.
Being dominated? Must have been watching a different game to me mate.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
You had 10 men behind the ball for the last 15 minutes against 10 man Leeds.
They had 3 shots all game, not on target, total shots. 1 the goal from a corner, 1 another set piece in injury time. Ramsdale made 1 save. We had 19 shots.

Must have a different definition of domination from what I have.

Abraxas

To be honest I think there's a bitterness among a section of our fans towards Arteta and Arsenal that's just a bit strange. People unwilling to be flexible and move beyond their initial thinking that he's a crap manager or maybe just because they're going to get top 4. Which no, isn't a trophy but isn't a forgone conclusion to reach.

What he's done is arguably what we need to do. I am hoping ETH can do things a little more convincingly as he will have the funds and the stature of the club behind him. But in terms of getting players that actually want to fight, revamping the side, trusting young players, booting out the odd non performer that is disruptive - it's what you need to do when wholesale change is needed. Also he clearly is happy to work within an overall club strategy without griping and moaning. We need an actual strategy and a manager that gets behind it.

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
Arsenal were 10th and 2 points off 8th when Arteta took over mid season, with a team that had finished 5th the year before. Didn't you use some crap logic in your previous posts interacting with me to tell me that Conte didn't really have an excuse for being in a very similar situation this season?
Hey Conor, nice to see you’re still so interested in Arsenal.

Arsenal were 11th and 2 points behind United in 8th when Arteta took charge of his first game.

The team had finished 5th the season before. Well remembered.

I’m not entirely sure what “crap logic” you’re referring to. To summarise my argument:

Conte started 10 games into the season 2 points behind Arsenal. 25 games later he is 4 points behind Arsenal. Despite there being 75 points up for grabs, Spurs are further from Arsenal than when he took over. Therefore he is not some sort of magical solution.

Arteta started 18 games into the 19/20 season in 11th. He finished in 8th. This indicates that the relative failure of an 8th place finish in his first season has more to do with Emery than him.

You seem to have confused my point entirely. I’m not saying Conte “doesn’t have an excuse” for how he’s performed. I’m saying no one has an excuse. That how teams perform in a league is primarily down to them. Arteta improved Arsenal slightly in his first season (and won a trophy). He then underperformed last season and could have been sacked. And now this season he’s done a pretty good job.

I’m seriously perplexed why anyone would have such a big problem with the argument that a team’s final league position is first and foremost a reflection of how that team has played throughout the season. I honestly didn’t think I was saying anything controversial.

While I completely disagree with your argument, I certainly admire your commitment to the cause. Hats off to you, Sir.

Last edited:

Nash27

Again, opposition gifted them goals and red cards. They are in a false dawn thinking they have made sustainable progress.

Conor

Hey Conor, nice to see you’re still so interested in Arsenal.

Arsenal were 11th and 2 points behind United in 8th when Arteta took charge of his first game.

The team had finished 5th the season before. Well remembered.

I’m not entirely sure what “crap logic” you’re referring to. To summarise my argument:

Conte started 10 games into the season 2 points behind Arsenal. 25 games later he is 4 points behind Arsenal. Despite there being 75 points up for grabs, Spurs are further from Arsenal than when he took over. Therefore he is not some sort of magical solution.

Arteta started 18 games into the 19/20 season in 11th. He finished in 8th. This indicates that the relative failure of an 8th place finish in his first season has more to do with Emery than him.

You seem to have confused my point entirely. I’m not saying Conte “doesn’t have an excuse” for how he’s performed. I’m saying no one has an excuse. That how teams perform in a league is primarily down to them. Arteta improved Arsenal slightly in his first season (and won a trophy). He then underperformed last season and could have been sacked. And now this season he’s done a pretty good job.

I’m seriously perplexed why anyone would have such a big problem with the argument that a team’s final league position is first and foremost a reflection of how that team has played throughout the season. I honestly didn’t think I was saying anything controversial.

While I completely disagree with your argument, I certainly admire your commitment to the cause. Hats off to you, Sir.
I think you could get into the Olympics with your talents in mental gymnastics! Also, from the official PL site, they were 10th after GW17, and Arteta took over before GW18, where they moved to 11th.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
I think you could get into the Olympics with your talents in mental gymnastics! Also, from the official PL site, they were 10th after GW17, and Arteta took over before GW18, where they moved to 11th.
My favourite bit of his gymnastics is how it’s Emery’s fault that they finished 8th in Arteta’s first season, despite Arteta being in charge of over 50% of the games.

Conor

My favourite bit of his gymnastics is how it’s Emery’s fault that they finished 8th in Arteta’s first season, despite Arteta being in charge of over 50% of the games.
Vehemently arguing against a point, and then using that exact point he argued against to defend Arteta, all within a few pages :lol:

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
This really doesn’t matter, but Arteta’s first match in charge was against Bournemouth in GW19. You are correct in pointing out that Arsenal fell to 11th in GW18. Thanks for taking the time to look that up and confirm the accuracy of my statements.

Feel free to point out the “mental gymnastics” in what I’m saying. In fact, I’d settle for finding out what I’ve said that is even mildly controversial. I’m genuinely fascinated by your investment in this.

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
I’m starting to doubt the levels of comprehension in this thread.

Arteta takes over a team in 11th after 18 games. 20 games later they’ve gone up 3 positions and won a trophy.

Conte takes over a team 2 points behind Arsenal after 10 games. 25 games later they are 4 points behind Arsenal.

Arteta’s PPG in 19/20 would have landed us 5th over the full season. So yeah, crazily enough, I attribute the relative failure of our 8th place finish that season to Emery.

I also think 28 games is long enough for Conte to catch up 2 points this season. And he still may do it, in which case he should take the plaudits because he will have been responsible for achieving Spurs target this season.

None of those points are ground-breaking. I’m curious what part of that you actually disagree with.

Last edited:

Nish115

Supports
Arsenal
I mean you're wrong here (as is the PL site then). 'On 26 December 2019, Arteta took charge for the first time as an Arsenal manager for their Premier League match against Bournemouth which ended in a 1–1 draw, thanks to a second half equaliser from Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang.'

We were 11th on December 25th. So, he took over when we were 11th. He was in the stand for the game before that, but he wasn't in charge/managing.

Emerys PPG for that part of the season was 1.27. (18 games). (11th)
Artetas PPG for the rest of the season was 1.65 (20 games). (6th in this period).

Arteta also won the FA Cup. So, for me, his first season was a success relative to how he picked up the team.

P.S For the person who said Arteta was in charge for over 50% of the season, yes, it was about 52%, but I imagine you thought it was like 65% and you were trying to make a point which isn't true.

Conor

I’m starting to doubt the levels of comprehension in this thread.

Arteta takes over a team in 11th after 18 games. 20 games later they’ve gone up 3 positions and won a trophy.

Conte takes over a team 2 points behind Arsenal after 10 games. 25 games later they are 4 points behind Arsenal.

Arteta’s PPG in 19/20 would have landed us 5th over the full season. So yeah, crazily enough, I attribute the relative failure of our 8th place finish that season to Emery.

I also think 28 games is long enough for Conte to catch up 2 points this season. And he still may do it, in which case he should take the plaudits because he will have been responsible for achieving Spurs target this season.

None of those points are ground-breaking. I’m curious what part of that you actually disagree with.
The whole point is that you cannot claim that Conte coming in mid season is not a big hindrance to Spurs' overall performance this season, and then 2 pages later absolve Arteta of an average finish in his first season, because he came in mid season. It makes no sense.

Conor

I mean you're wrong here (as is the PL site then). 'On 26 December 2019, Arteta took charge for the first time as an Arsenal manager for their Premier League match against Bournemouth which ended in a 1–1 draw, thanks to a second half equaliser from Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang.'

We were 11th on December 25th. So, he took over when we were 11th. He was in the stand for the game before that, but he wasn't in charge/managing.

Emerys PPG for that part of the season was 1.27. (18 games). (11th)
Artetas PPG for the rest of the season was 1.65 (20 games). (6th in this period).

Arteta also won the FA Cup. So, for me, his first season was a success relative to how he picked up the team.

P.S For the person who said Arteta was in charge for over 50% of the season, yes, it was about 52%, but I imagine you thought it was like 65% and you were trying to make a point which isn't true.
Arteta was appointed on December 20th 2019, according to wikipedia, a day before GW18. I'm sure he had absolutely nothing to do with the team selection or anything of the sort that weekend...

Nish115

Supports
Arsenal
Arteta was appointed on December 20th 2019, according to wikipedia, a day before GW18. I'm sure he had absolutely nothing to do with the team selection or anything of the sort that weekend...
You're scraping the barrel here, which is a bit desperate. It's very clear his first game in charge was against Bournemouth. Just like how people will say Carrick was in charge when you beat us earlier this season, despite Ralf being around then.

I don't even know why you are arguing this, it's quite sad.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Guys, I don't think he's going to be their Ole.
Let’s be clear here. Ole managed a 3rd and a 2nd placed finish in his two full seasons at the club and a Europa final. His reign was bookended by crap form however.

Arsenal will have managed an 8th and a 4th/5th finish in his two full seasons. They would kill for a 3rd and a 2nd placed finish.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Guys, I don't think he's going to be their Ole.
To be honest, what does being an Ole actually mean? Why is he singled out as the manager that people get compared to now, almost like its some sort of insult? Ole done a very decent job for a couple of years, there's been a lot bigger names in terms of managerial appointments done a worse job the past few years, even at Utd post Fergie.

I don't get it.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
To be honest, what does being an Ole actually mean? Why is he singled out as the manager that people get compared to now, almost like its some sort of insult? Ole done a very decent job for a couple of years, there's been a lot bigger names in terms of managerial appointments done a worse job the past few years, even at Utd post Fergie.

I don't get it.
What ?! Ole's the worst football manager ever!!

Seriously, my comment was more in jest. I think Ole did a decent job with us too.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
What ?! Ole's the worst football manager ever!!

Seriously, my comment was more in jest. I think Ole did a decent job with us too.
Sorry, I didn't mean to pick you out, but it's a phrase I've seen a lot, especially on here & especially by Utd fans which makes it seem even more weird.

I don't know if it's the ex player thing they are referring to, or the fact there's not a body of work at big clubs that they can reference, but I just find it strange.